-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
because maintenance has been deferred for years! And idiots want to spend more money on capital projects when we cannot afford to maintain what we have?!?!?!

Only frigging place I know of where they pass school bond initiatives to do regular maintenance with bond money?!?!?!

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/S...-for-deferred-maintenance-508345741.html

State will use federal trails money for deferred maintenance

By Associated Press | Posted: Tue 3:16 PM, Apr 09, 2019

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — State parks officials say federal grants aimed at improving Alaska trails will be used to address deferred maintenance on trails in the state park system.

Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation director Ricky Gease says the agency estimates a need of $4.5 million to address a backlog of maintenance.

That would take three years of available federal grand funding.

Federal grant money in past years has been split with nonprofit trails organizations and local governments.

Among current projects being funded are Nordic ski trails near Soldotna and hiking or all-terrain vehicle trails near Seldovia, Delta Junction, Fairbanks, Girdwood and Anchorage.

Groups apply for grants in October and receive word of awards in spring. Gease says groups have been informed that grant money will not be available next year.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Gotta believe lyin Ricky ain't helping things.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty sad that we have allowed it to happen for so long...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Around here many of the Federal trails, if they still exist, suck.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Atop the deferred maintenance is the fact they are shutting down campgrounds due to the neglect...

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There are some good ones. Also plenty of times I searched for a trailhead that had not been there for years. Drove to the local Rangers office once and the guy gave me a look and said “Uh, that hasn’t been maintained for years.”
My favorite is when you go to an access point featured on the official map, only to find it private property or gated.

I’ll give them this though, there’s a fair chance you will not see a quad if you hike far enough into a marked wilderness area. Fair. So I temper criticism 😎

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 41 invisible), 1,971 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,067
Posts18,463,501
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.