Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I've been a Leica fan and user for many years and although I never needed their service dept. I heard unflattering stories of folks not happy with their Leica post sale dealings.
With Doug's help it seems Leica has changed their service tune, time for me to see if that's true.
I have some old Trinovid BN 8x32's that I've always been fond of and with years of hard use I contacted Leica about some rehab and sent them in.
Communication was good on the front side, within a week I sent them in and had a follow up email with an estimate for the work, short of replacing lenses they were to entirely go through the binos adjusting and fixing as needed.With the work total @ $205 I gave them the go ahead.
They kept me in the loop via email and about 6 weeks later they were next day air'd to me, they function and look like new binoculars.
So in the end I'm very happy, sure no free be's, no fluff, but great communication and follow through..it seems things have changed at Leica.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good to hear. Thanks for the report.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The folks at Leica know how to do things right!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I had a similar great experience from Leica, with Dougs help. I had an older pair of 10x I think Ultravoids, which I no longer have, and a lense had come loose in one barrel of the bino like it had taken a hard fall. I sent it to Leica with the explanation that they appear to have been dropped and they repaired them in a fairly timely manor for the cost of shipping. As the OP said, communications were very good throughout the process.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a Leica fan....good to here positive news about them.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Any idea what replacing the lenses would have cost?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is comforting news indeed.

I just picked up a new Leica 2400-R and am astounded with the optics. I was really more counting on the quality of the build to reassure me, but it sure is nice to know the manufacturer has your back (as well as the dealer - thx cameraland ny!!!).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excellent - thanks for the report!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have similar binoculars that I dropped on the grass from about 4 feet. The barrels didn’t seem to align properly and would not focus. I emailed Leica they had me ship them to them in Germany. Cost about $50 each way. I received them back and they seem fine. 10 months later they became the same way without dropping them again. I figured why waste another $100. They’re just sitting on a shelve now.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Was this warranty work? If so, why were you charged $205?

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an older set of BN Leica binos and if you Leica owners have the same strap that comes with them, be sure to sew or tie the connection together better than relying just on that little button through the slit at the ends of the strap to hold them. The wife dropped mine on the concrete when the strap let go. No damage, but you have never heard a more sickening sound than your binoculars hitting the driveway.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ccrifles
I have similar binoculars that I dropped on the grass from about 4 feet. The barrels didn’t seem to align properly and would not focus. I emailed Leica they had me ship them to them in Germany. Cost about $50 each way. I received them back and they seem fine. 10 months later they became the same way without dropping them again. I figured why waste another $100. They’re just sitting on a shelve now.

Please give me a call on Monday

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Bought my Dad a Leica LRF 1200 about 8 or 10 years ago. He complained to me that it wouldn't range consistently (I thought it was an 'old fart' issue more than a problem with the rangefinder). Deer hunting one day he showed me how the rangefinder was working. It was snowing, but my Swarovski would still get me out to over 800, his LRF 1200 wouldnt go to 200. I played with the LRF more over the next couple of days and confirmed that it was a piece if crap. I called Cameralandny (had purchased it from them) and they told me I needed to take this up with Leica. I called Leica, explained my problem to them and they said, "send it in." Within a couple of weeks Dad had a brand new LRF 1600 in his posesssion (Leica said the 1200 wasnt available at the time). The LRF 1600 has worked perfectly ever since.

I'm a bigfan of Cameralandny and Leica!

In experience, they take care of their people!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I had the EXACT same experience, except I had a Leica 1000 LRF and they gave me a 1200 at no charge.
No complaints about Leica.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Having several Leica products this is good to know. Thanks for the review!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bumping this thread. Leica ER 2.5-10x42 with an uncapped elevation dial. I contacted Leica because the elevation dial moved too easily and was regularly knocked off ‘0’ while afield. I’d like to have the loose dial remedied. They gave me an RMA and return address and the scope went off to the US address.

Leica contacted me a couple weeks later, said this model needs to go to the factory for service. Off it went to Germany. About 3 months later I call to check on the scope. It’s back from Germany and they’ll ship it out right away. I had the scope within a couple days.

No charge for repair and the elevation dial is now about as stiff as you’d expect. What did they do to fix this that required a trip to Germany and a 3 month wait? They inserted a very small, thin spring washer under the elevation dial, probably cost then about $.03. Makes me chuckle.

They addressed my gripe and fixed my scope at no charge. Love that scope and used it to poke a pronghorn a week ago.

"Pessimism never won any battle." - Dwight Eisenhower

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
659 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.