Hop To
Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by battue
I have somewhere near or perhaps over 100 Pa Deer tags that have been filled.....

What?? By my calculations, that works out to almost one deer per year, that is outstanding!!

Just when I get used to you having fun at my expense, you change tactics and go to telling the truth. I liked the first much more.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
The intended purpose of this thread was NOT to discuss the ethnics of "long range" shooting.....

No need to discuss that really, just a bunch of garden-variety white guys.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by memtb
We should make our shots assuming the animal will move.....

Sorry, maybe I'm nissing your point but but I can't agree with either the logic behind this assumption or the practicality of assuming a stationary animal will move at the shot.

As dogshooter said, a long-range shooter has time to observe the animal, see what it's doing, and wait for the right moment when it's not moving (and not likely to move) to take the shot. If he's been doing that and has decided the moment is right for the animal to stay still, why would he assume that the moment he pulls the trigger, the animal will move? I don't see the logic. I think what's missing is giving the long-range shooter credit for knowing when not to shoot.

As far as practical applications, if I'm going to shoot at a moving animal I'll be doing something to compensate for the movement----either swinging with the animal and following through for a close-in shot from offhand, or leading the animal some distance for a longer shot from a rest. If it's a long shot I'll be shooting from a rest and swinging just isn't in the cards for me so I'd have to hold a lead. I've done the former with good results but never the latter, if I have to lead an animal at long range I'm not taking that shot because I'm not that good. And there's always the chance that the animal will slow down or stop.

Maybe I'm mis-reading your post but are you saying we should assume a stationary animal will move at the shot and compensate for movement? In other words, on a short shot, swing with the animal and follow through even though it's stationary?

If a close-in animal is moving steadily it's fairly easy to get a feel for how fast it's moving, swing with it, and follow through at the same rate the animal is moving. How woudd you judge how fast to swing on an animal that's not moving? You could say the same about figuring out a lead for longer shots---if the animal is moving steadily you can observe and estimate how far the animal will move in the T.O.F. and then hold for that lead. But how would you judge that distance for an animal that's not moving?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
smokepole, I probably worded it incorrectly. What I’m trying to say is.....assume the animal “may” move unexpectedly, at any time. “Not” they “will” move! I think that this should apply to any shot. IMO, the problem with “proper bullet placement” on an animal “unexpectedly” moving .... is increased exponentially with extended distances! I hope this clarifies my point......at least I understand what I’m trying to say! smile memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/11/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Wait for them to start taking a dump. That's movement time you can count on...:)

Defend the Constitution
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
smokepole, I probably worded it incorrectly. What I’m trying to say is.....assume the animal “may” move unexpectedly, at any time. “Not” they “will” move! I think that this should apply to any shot. IMO, the problem with “proper bullet placement” on an animal “unexpectedly” moving .... is increased exponentially with extended distances! I hope this clarifies my point......at least I understand what I’m trying to say! smile memtb

Thannks. You're saying "assume the animal might move, and decide to shoot/not shoot accordingly." That's a personal choice and really none of my business if you or anyone else decides not to shoot for that reason. Not taking a shot is almost never a bad decision.

But I do have a problem with anyone who translates that personal choice to everyone else and says that 100% of 600+ yard shots are "unethical." Because it just ain't so.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I agree! There is not a definitive, one size fits all answer! Last season, I passed on a very doable shot, it would have been my longest on a game animal...but wasn’t a DRT guarantee! Given the location and time of day....”discretion was the better part of valor”! Had it been at 10:00 am in stead of 30 minutes to dark.....I’d have taken the shot! The present conditions, dictate the actions taken! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by battue

Before you completely act the fool, let me give you a tip. There are people out there that can do things you or I can't, and there always will be. Some can hit a 100mph fast ball, while all you would know about it is the slap of the ball into the catchers mitt. Some can play golf on the pro level and comparatively you can only do mediocore on the silly golf range. Some can shoot and obviously as of now you are not on their level.

This is so true, in my experience and from watching these 'discussions' over the years. It seems to be human nature for guys to take their own limitations and abilities, use that to construct their definition of what is 'ethical', and then hold their ethics up as the gold standard that all hunters should adhere to.

As a relative newcomer to LR shooting- I've only been practicing it seriously, and occasionally competing in practical precision matches, for 4-5 years- one thing that immediately jumped out at me was the highly varied skill sets. And the guys at the top of the heap were far better than I'd imagined was even possible. There are lots of highly practiced, gifted shooters for who 600 yards/meters, and beyond, is a chip shot. Even in a stressful, fast paced enviroment, from akward positions, on small targets. I'm not saying everyone is at, or can even reach those levels. But there are lots who can and do. Who's to say where another should draw the line?

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's never been difficult to cypher,who shoots...and who don't.

Hint...………………...

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GregW
Good post Dog...

+1

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
.....assuming the animal “will not” move is rather unrealistic! memtb

It's the only way one can take a shot.

I respectfully disagree! As a somewhat extreme example.....I can except 2/10 of a second animal movement at a hundred yards. However, at lets say, with a 700 yard shot....the time will be much closer to a full second of movement. The animal, already a more difficult target at range, will move considerably more with that one second of movement, than one given 2/10 of a second movement @100 yards. We should make our shots assuming the animal will move.....it’s our decision as to how much risk and movement we are willing to except! memtb

You ssume they will move and others of us will assume we will get the shot INTO the vitals before the game moves.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I respectfully disagree! As a somewhat extreme example.....I can except 2/10 of a second animal movement at a hundred yards. However, at lets say, with a 700 yard shot....the time will be much closer to a full second of movement. The animal, already a more difficult target at range, will move considerably more with that one second of movement, than one given 2/10 of a second movement @100 yards. We should make our shots assuming the animal will move.....it’s our decision as to how much risk and movement we are willing to except! memtb

You ssume they will move and others of us will assume we will get the shot INTO the vitals before the game moves.

I guess that I’ve made this too complicated! I try to plan for a worst case scenario! memtb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I guess that I’ve made this too complicated! I try to plan for a worst case scenario! memtb

Hunters are by nature more optimistic than "worst case scenario." At the range where I test there is a sign that says, "Our first priority is safety." I say, "Then stay home and watch others on TV whose first priority is to enjoy life."

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ringman, You’ll have to make a couple of hunts with me......you may want to reevaluate that perpetual optimistic view! wink memtb

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
"Long Range" for me depends on the day and the conditions. I shoot defenseless steel plates pretty regularly out to 700 and occasionally 1000. Some days I forget to bring my good eyeballs, but I can usually hold 6" or better at 600. I figure this will help me make a clean shot on game out to 500 or 600 which with good conditions is about my personal limit. Last year I passed on 2 nice mulies, both in the 160 class +-. The first stopped to look back at about 510 then the next day the second one stopped at 480. Both days there was about a 20mph crosswind. I'm from the south and don't normally deal with the kind of wind you get out west so I never even touched the trigger. Ended up taking mine at 210 yards a couple of days later.

At the range, I've shot next to guys who would definitely be able to take ethical shots at a thousand and possibly a bit beyond. 2 of these guys don't like shooting anything at less than 500 and have the trophies to back it up (not that they're too stuck up to pull the trigger on a 180 buck standing broadside at 50). This is far beyond my comfort level, but if I was hunting with either of them and they had a nice 6x6 bull in the crosshairs at 800+ I'd start checking my knife to make sure it was sharp.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's 5 Mils of wind at 10mph ala my HW97K and 16gr Exacts...at the 52yd line.

[Linked Image]

It's ALL relative.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It get shorter as I grow older.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's what she said......

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Long range?

Way over yonder!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
When I was kid, "long range" was 2 body lengths or more. The way things are going, in 10-15 years I hope I can still miss my shoes. smile

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 49 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,186
Posts18,465,749
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.