Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
From Lucky Gunner, an interview with Federal ballistics experts. I thought the discussion of handgun velocity and energy starting at 6:40 was particularly interesting.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting. I was having a few conversations like those with my son at the range today; which caliber, bullet type, etc.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Purty easy to simply shoot schit and extrapolate findings.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Cheyenne, thanks for posting this video. I've got a lot of respect for the guys in this video. I've done a fair bit of shooting with Johann (IDPA), and have worked with him a few times as well.

One of the things these guys will do at LE seminars is offer to participants the opportunity to shoot their carry loads into their calibrated ballistic gelatin blocks. This has been interesting, to say the least. A lot of people who carried 380's for "pocket" or "deep backup" guns got rid of them after such demonstrations.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A 22LR 40gr solid,will outdig a 380.

That ain't gellatin talkin'.

Hint................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
On the street there are just too many variables..real life is not a block of Jello....

I think the most important statement in the whole presentation was "carry what you shoot best". You have to put rounds on target otherwise all the MagicBullets in the magazine do you no good...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dead Schit...is dead schit.

Hint..............

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
A 22LR 40gr solid,will outdig a 380.

That ain't gellatin talkin'.

Hint................(grin)

That’s for sure and certain

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wasn't guessing.

Hint.................

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I like everyone’s comments.

Some takeaways for me are:
1. Ballistics gel doesn’t literally translate into performance on a living organism.
2. It is only through correlating the gel performance with reports from law enforcement sources that the model is validated.
3. Carry what you shoot well and make hits.
4. The model is just talking about people.
Items 1-3 are things that we hear, in some form or fashion and in bits and pieces, from numerous people on Internet forums. But, I have not seen them in a clear, concise presentation from authoritative sources who work the lab side and the end user side.

Originally Posted by Big Stick
Purty easy to simply shoot schit and extrapolate findings.

Hint.................

That’s probably the gold standard. The availability of test subjects is sometimes spotty, and those pesky game and fish laws get in my way with the calibers I like to carry. I guess most of us get the most experience in that field with game and non-game critters using the legal calibers. It’s just hard to test on low frequency, high danger things like people and apex predator critters.

As to item 4 and apex predator critters, I think we do need to do some different testing than just shooting gel. We do need to know how bullets perform against different kinds of flesh and bone. Also, mass-marketed general self-defense ammo is constrained by overpenetration concerns, which is not as big a consideration in the woods. It certainly is not a concern with hunting rifle ammo! Finally, gel testing mostly is done in “duty” calibers, not necessarily the variety of calibers that people carry afield. So, most of us play in conditions outside the parameters of current gel testing. The best tests are shooting legal game and varmints and shooting facsimiles of that which we are constrained by circumstances or law to not shoot.

It also is good that we have many posters on this forum who have been there, done that, and can share their actual experiences.

Originally Posted by DocRocket

One of the things these guys will do at LE seminars is offer to participants the opportunity to shoot their carry loads into their calibrated ballistic gelatin blocks. This has been interesting, to say the least. A lot of people who carried 380's for "pocket" or "deep backup" guns got rid of them after such demonstrations.

I was fortunate enough to see Hornady do its FBI test dog and pony show. They also took guns and ammo from the audience and ran them through the protocols. I came away feeling that most of the “duty” ammo in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP works. Even if a round “failed” a test, it usually was because it went a slight bit past 18 inches. (One big fail was a Barnes Tac-XPD fired from a .45 that was way short in barrier tests.)

As far as .380 was concerned, I don’t recall that anyone had a .380 other than the Hornady reps. They only ran Critical Defense through bare gel and clothed gel, and it “passed.” They were not going to attempt it with the other barriers. OTOH, I have been playing with Buffalo Bore hard cast and Lehigh rounds in water and other media, and they sure seem capable to me. I also don’t see someone walking away from a few Gold Dots in important places. If I need a pocket gun, I’ll still take the .380 over a J frame. But, that’s just me.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Those gentleman said something I've believed for a good many years.

It's about the bullet. With modern bullet technology, caliber just doesn't matter as much as it used to.

Carry something that always goes bang, that you can shoot well, with a good modern bullet.

The rest, although fun to discuss, just isn't as important.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Now we know that caliber doesnt matter all people will be carrying 380 Autos and 9MM's.
I am glad that is settled once and for all with this video.
I am for one grateful for information such as this. It will archived for future use and occasional reedification of my self.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Placement trumps all and everything leads with it's head.

Hint.................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never been against handloading your own ammo for self defense purposes, but...

I really liked what the guy said about getting the right speed. He said something to the effect that they can lose penetration when they increase speed, because the bullet expands sooner and expands more--so, don't get hung up on speed; the idea is to get sufficient penetration AND sufficient expansion.

Incorporating that thought to handloading self defense ammo: I doubt most of us test our handloads in tissue or even gel. A handloader doesn't really know what to expect from his loads. So a handloader's best best is to try to replicate loads that have been tested (a given bullet at a given speed), or just load a hard cast bullet at sufficient speed to penetrate.

I especially enjoyed them hammering home a point that is often ignored even though it's never been a secret: You gotta hit what you're aiming at, rather than hoping to shoot "good enough" and let your super magnum make up for poor marksmanship.

Last edited by Waders; 04/12/19. Reason: can't type

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Crap. Stick and I were typing at the same time, making the same point about marksmanship.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I guess Karamojo Bell was a good example that placement is key.

Insinuate..............

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by glockdoofus

I guess Karamojo Bell was a good example that placement is key.

Insinuate..............

glockdoofus,

EXACTLY. = SHOT PLACEMENT is the PRIME thing in stopping an assault or taking game. - A MISS will a howitzer is still a miss.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery.

Hint.................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot placement is King, penetration is Queen, all else is gravy.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of a multitude of reasons I've schlepped a 22LR Pistole for Bear "defense",for better than 30 years.

Hint.................

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

568 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,033
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.