Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
From Lucky Gunner, an interview with Federal ballistics experts. I thought the discussion of handgun velocity and energy starting at 6:40 was particularly interesting.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting. I was having a few conversations like those with my son at the range today; which caliber, bullet type, etc.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Purty easy to simply shoot schit and extrapolate findings.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Cheyenne, thanks for posting this video. I've got a lot of respect for the guys in this video. I've done a fair bit of shooting with Johann (IDPA), and have worked with him a few times as well.

One of the things these guys will do at LE seminars is offer to participants the opportunity to shoot their carry loads into their calibrated ballistic gelatin blocks. This has been interesting, to say the least. A lot of people who carried 380's for "pocket" or "deep backup" guns got rid of them after such demonstrations.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A 22LR 40gr solid,will outdig a 380.

That ain't gellatin talkin'.

Hint................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
On the street there are just too many variables..real life is not a block of Jello....

I think the most important statement in the whole presentation was "carry what you shoot best". You have to put rounds on target otherwise all the MagicBullets in the magazine do you no good...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dead Schit...is dead schit.

Hint..............

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
A 22LR 40gr solid,will outdig a 380.

That ain't gellatin talkin'.

Hint................(grin)

That’s for sure and certain

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wasn't guessing.

Hint.................

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I like everyone’s comments.

Some takeaways for me are:
1. Ballistics gel doesn’t literally translate into performance on a living organism.
2. It is only through correlating the gel performance with reports from law enforcement sources that the model is validated.
3. Carry what you shoot well and make hits.
4. The model is just talking about people.
Items 1-3 are things that we hear, in some form or fashion and in bits and pieces, from numerous people on Internet forums. But, I have not seen them in a clear, concise presentation from authoritative sources who work the lab side and the end user side.

Purty easy to simply shoot schit and extrapolate findings.

Hint.................

That’s probably the gold standard. The availability of test subjects is sometimes spotty, and those pesky game and fish laws get in my way with the calibers I like to carry. I guess most of us get the most experience in that field with game and non-game critters using the legal calibers. It’s just hard to test on low frequency, high danger things like people and apex predator critters.

As to item 4 and apex predator critters, I think we do need to do some different testing than just shooting gel. We do need to know how bullets perform against different kinds of flesh and bone. Also, mass-marketed general self-defense ammo is constrained by overpenetration concerns, which is not as big a consideration in the woods. It certainly is not a concern with hunting rifle ammo! Finally, gel testing mostly is done in “duty” calibers, not necessarily the variety of calibers that people carry afield. So, most of us play in conditions outside the parameters of current gel testing. The best tests are shooting legal game and varmints and shooting facsimiles of that which we are constrained by circumstances or law to not shoot.

It also is good that we have many posters on this forum who have been there, done that, and can share their actual experiences.

Originally Posted by DocRocket

One of the things these guys will do at LE seminars is offer to participants the opportunity to shoot their carry loads into their calibrated ballistic gelatin blocks. This has been interesting, to say the least. A lot of people who carried 380's for "pocket" or "deep backup" guns got rid of them after such demonstrations.

I was fortunate enough to see Hornady do its FBI test dog and pony show. They also took guns and ammo from the audience and ran them through the protocols. I came away feeling that most of the “duty” ammo in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP works. Even if a round “failed” a test, it usually was because it went a slight bit past 18 inches. (One big fail was a Barnes Tac-XPD fired from a .45 that was way short in barrier tests.)

As far as .380 was concerned, I don’t recall that anyone had a .380 other than the Hornady reps. They only ran Critical Defense through bare gel and clothed gel, and it “passed.” They were not going to attempt it with the other barriers. OTOH, I have been playing with Buffalo Bore hard cast and Lehigh rounds in water and other media, and they sure seem capable to me. I also don’t see someone walking away from a few Gold Dots in important places. If I need a pocket gun, I’ll still take the .380 over a J frame. But, that’s just me.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Those gentleman said something I've believed for a good many years.

It's about the bullet. With modern bullet technology, caliber just doesn't matter as much as it used to.

Carry something that always goes bang, that you can shoot well, with a good modern bullet.

The rest, although fun to discuss, just isn't as important.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Now we know that caliber doesnt matter all people will be carrying 380 Autos and 9MM's.
I am glad that is settled once and for all with this video.
I am for one grateful for information such as this. It will archived for future use and occasional reedification of my self.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Placement trumps all and everything leads with it's head.

Hint.................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never been against handloading your own ammo for self defense purposes, but...

I really liked what the guy said about getting the right speed. He said something to the effect that they can lose penetration when they increase speed, because the bullet expands sooner and expands more--so, don't get hung up on speed; the idea is to get sufficient penetration AND sufficient expansion.

Incorporating that thought to handloading self defense ammo: I doubt most of us test our handloads in tissue or even gel. A handloader doesn't really know what to expect from his loads. So a handloader's best best is to try to replicate loads that have been tested (a given bullet at a given speed), or just load a hard cast bullet at sufficient speed to penetrate.

I especially enjoyed them hammering home a point that is often ignored even though it's never been a secret: You gotta hit what you're aiming at, rather than hoping to shoot "good enough" and let your super magnum make up for poor marksmanship.

Last edited by Waders; 04/12/19. Reason: can't type

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Crap. Stick and I were typing at the same time, making the same point about marksmanship.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I guess Karamojo Bell was a good example that placement is key.

Insinuate..............

HE MENTORS ME.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by glockdoofus

I guess Karamojo Bell was a good example that placement is key.

Insinuate..............

glockdoofus,

EXACTLY. = SHOT PLACEMENT is the PRIME thing in stopping an assault or taking game. - A MISS will a howitzer is still a miss.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery.

Hint.................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot placement is King, penetration is Queen, all else is gravy.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of a multitude of reasons I've schlepped a 22LR Pistole for Bear "defense",for better than 30 years.

Hint.................

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Waders
I've never been against handloading your own ammo for self defense purposes, but...

I really liked with the guy said about getting the right speed. He said something to the effect that they can lose penetration when they increase speed, because the bullet expands sooner and expands more--so, don't get hung up on speed; the idea is to get sufficient penetration AND sufficient expansion.

Incorporating that thought to handloading self defense ammo: I doubt most of us test our handloads in tissue or even gel. A handloader doesn't really know what to expect from his loads. So a handloader's best best is to try to replicate loads that have been tested (a given bullet at a given speed), or just load a hard cast bullet at sufficient speed to penetrate.

Waders, we agree on this point. Many years ago I picked up a kernel of knowledge from Paco Kelly, who advised his readers to test ALL of their bullets and loads in test media, so one could say with confidence how those loads would work on game (and critters). I took that to heart, and boy, did I learn a thing or three.

I've been testing my "serious" handloads in ballistic media of various descriptions for a long time now. Initially, a good friend and I were able to use animal carcasses pretty freely (his grandfather owned a rendering plant), and it was eye-opening. (Suffice to say I learned I don't need to drive my 45 Colt bullets quite as hard as I'd been driving them...) I had a lot of opportunities to shoot ballistic gelatin for a time, as well, when I still lived in Wisconsin. These days I use the plastic gel media you can buy on the internet, which is a lot less messy than gelatin and a lot less temperature sensitive. That and water-filled milk jugs. All of my hunting loads, including the ones I shoot out of my rifles at game, get tested.

But I buy my personal defense pistol ammunition, for exactly the reason you cite. The guys at the ballistics labs at Federal-ATK, Winchester-Western, and Buffalo Bore (among others, of course, but those are the ones I use primarily) optimize their ammunition for best bullet performance and reliability. It's worth spending the extra dough for that. I reload all my training ammo, which is incidentally tailored to match my carry load ballistics. Win win.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
One of a multitude of reasons I've schlepped a 22LR Pistole for Bear "defense",for better than 30 years.

We used to slaughter hogs on the farm using an old knife that hung on the wall in the barn. My dad persuaded my uncle in the mid-60's that his .22 pistol did a better job, and was less messy. It did, and it was.

Dad's .22 didn't work quite as well on cattle, though... thicker skulls, I expect. They certainly look so when you run them through the bandsaw, though I never got out the dial calipers to quantify. Anyways, we used my grandfather's .455 Webley (the only other handgun Dad owned) on the slaughter steers after the first couple of .22 caliber rodeos. I prefer 45's myself, nowadays, although I'd be just as comfortable with a .38 Special for such purposes.

YMMV.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Great vid.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Notice that the professionals didn't recommend wide-meplat hardcast as the ultimate permanent wound cavity maker. Why? Because hardcast is a deep hole-driller - nothing more.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by dla
Notice that the professionals didn't recommend wide-meplat hardcast as the ultimate permanent wound cavity maker. Why? Because hardcast is a deep hole-driller - nothing more.

But can make consistently ugly wounds.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by dla

Um... yes, and no. They didn't mention wide meplat bullets because Federal doesn't make any, nor load any in their defensive ammunition... and the discussion was about personal defense ammunition, not hunting ammunition. I have discussed WFN and LFN cast bullets with Johann Boda, though, and he/they have tested them. They work as advertised and drill very deep holes.

A permanent wound cavity is, essentially, a deeply-drilled hole. Which is exactly what you want in a solid bullet used on dangerous game. The best-performing solid bullets are wide-meplat flat nosed bullets, made of hard and heavy metal such as tungsten or mild steel. These bullets will run straight as a die from one side of an elephant's head to the other, which increases your chances of hitting the brain for a stopping shot. They'll also run lengthwise through a charging buffalo or hippo. They're not for shooting impala or pronghorn, they are for stopping dangerous game.

You don't need such bullets for North American hunting, or for personal defense. I used to load WFN bullets at velocities that would run them lengthwise through a dead Clydesdale horse carcass. I eventually figured out that I didn't need 6 feet of penetration to kill a whitetail deer standing broadside to me, and stopped worshiping at the altar of Our Lady of High Velocity LBT Bullets at that point. They work very well in the right place, but nearly all my cast hunting bullets now are cast to a hardness that's about what Elmer Keith used to use (he called them "hard cast", with a BHN of 12-14, much softer than the BHN of 18-20 of many of today's commercial WFN-type bullets). And I've found that WFN bullets don't kill deer and hogs any better than Keith SWC's. But I still cast and shoot both types.

As several have pointed out, there is some really complex physics involved. Duncan Macpherson's book would be a good place to start, if you can find a copy.

Last edited by DocRocket; 04/12/19.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

I really liked with the guy said about getting the right speed. He said something to the effect that they can lose penetration when they increase speed, because the bullet expands sooner and expands more--so, don't get hung up on speed; the idea is to get sufficient penetration AND sufficient expansion.

Waders, we agree on this point. Many years ago I picked up a kernel of knowledge from Paco Kelly, who advised his readers to test ALL of their bullets and loads in test media, so one could say with confidence how those loads would work on game (and critters). I took that to heart, and boy, did I learn a thing or three.

I've been testing my "serious" handloads in ballistic media of various descriptions for a long time now. Initially, a good friend and I were able to use animal carcasses pretty freely (his grandfather owned a rendering plant), and it was eye-opening. (Suffice to say I learned I don't need to drive my 45 Colt bullets quite as hard as I'd been driving them...) I had a lot of opportunities to shoot ballistic gelatin for a time, as well, when I still lived in Wisconsin. These days I use the plastic gel media you can buy on the internet, which is a lot less messy than gelatin and a lot less temperature sensitive. That and water-filled milk jugs. All of my hunting loads, including the ones I shoot out of my rifles at game, get tested.

But I buy my personal defense pistol ammunition, for exactly the reason you cite. The guys at the ballistics labs at Federal-ATK, Winchester-Western, and Buffalo Bore (among others, of course, but those are the ones I use primarily) optimize their ammunition for best bullet performance and reliability. It's worth spending the extra dough for that. I reload all my training ammo, which is incidentally tailored to match my carry load ballistics. Win win.

I'm in the same position on all except a difference in that last paragraph: The commercial manufacturers have to "optimize" their ammo for function in every firearm that consumers might use, but I can optimize my own serious loads for just my gun; I don't have to make concessions to function in anyone else's gun, and can find the best load for mine. I load my own defensive ammo for that reason. (That does NOT mean loading in a different velocity range than the bullet was designed for, it just means minor tweaks in seating depth, powder charge and type, etc to get best performance in my own equipment.) It's the same reasoning for loading my own precision rifle ammo instead of buying commercial match ammo.

The bit about the "right" speed is absolutely important, and makes a lot more difference than the average consumer realizes.

Last edited by Yondering; 04/12/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=dla]. I used to load WFN bullets at velocities that would run them lengthwise through a dead Clydesdale horse carcass. I eventually figured out that I didn't need 6 feet of penetration to kill a whitetail deer standing broadside to me, and stopped worshiping at the altar of Our Lady of High Velocity LBT Bullets at that point. They work very well in the right place.....

If I ever piss off Anheuser-Busch, I'm calling you...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yondering, you make a good point. I have no quarrel with you on that point!

I usually carry a 1911 in 45 ACP as my personal defense weapon, so of course all ammunition in that caliber will function flawlessly in my defensive pistols... grin

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I wish we had a “like” button on this forum. Lots of great posts in this thread.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I wish we had a “like” button on this forum. Lots of great posts in this thread.

Like!
🤓

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I thought that the "crux or key" in this presentation is between 9:25 -- 9:35, and that about summed it up for me...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by dla

Um... yes, and no. They didn't mention wide meplat bullets because Federal doesn't make any, nor load any in their defensive ammunition... and the discussion was about personal defense ammunition, not hunting ammunition. I have discussed WFN and LFN cast bullets with Johann Boda, though, and he/they have tested them. They work as advertised and drill very deep holes.

A permanent wound cavity is, essentially, a deeply-drilled hole. Which is exactly what you want in a solid bullet used on dangerous game. The best-performing solid bullets are wide-meplat flat nosed bullets, made of hard and heavy metal such as tungsten or mild steel. These bullets will run straight as a die from one side of an elephant's head to the other, which increases your chances of hitting the brain for a stopping shot. They'll also run lengthwise through a charging buffalo or hippo. They're not for shooting impala or pronghorn, they are for stopping dangerous game.

You don't need such bullets for North American hunting, or for personal defense. I used to load WFN bullets at velocities that would run them lengthwise through a dead Clydesdale horse carcass. I eventually figured out that I didn't need 6 feet of penetration to kill a whitetail deer standing broadside to me, and stopped worshiping at the altar of Our Lady of High Velocity LBT Bullets at that point. They work very well in the right place, but nearly all my cast hunting bullets now are cast to a hardness that's about what Elmer Keith used to use (he called them "hard cast", with a BHN of 12-14, much softer than the BHN of 18-20 of many of today's commercial WFN-type bullets). And I've found that WFN bullets don't kill deer and hogs any better than Keith SWC's. But I still cast and shoot both types.

As several have pointed out, there is some really complex physics involved. Duncan Macpherson's book would be a good place to start, if you can find a copy.

Been my experience as well.

The expanding handgun bullet is rife with speed do's and don'ts and the mechanics of such are what limits them at spitting distances and over yonder, which is why they need to advertise how awesome they are (and some are very good) within their windows.

Handgun solid testing is probably repetitively boring...

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Yondering

I'm in the same position on all except a difference in that last paragraph: The commercial manufacturers have to "optimize" their ammo for function in every firearm that consumers might use, but I can optimize my own serious loads for just my gun; I don't have to make concessions to function in anyone else's gun, and can find the best load for mine. I load my own defensive ammo for that reason. (That does NOT mean loading in a different velocity range than the bullet was designed for, it just means minor tweaks in seating depth, powder charge and type, etc to get best performance in my own equipment.) It's the same reasoning for loading my own precision rifle ammo instead of buying commercial match ammo.

The bit about the "right" speed is absolutely important, and makes a lot more difference than the average consumer realizes.

Yep; ammo manufacturers, if it weren't for the need for a one size fits all, would cover more ground with just using lead alloys and ditching the jackets, for handgun rounds.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Being a long time revolver hunter, I have never found a media worth shooting into. My tests have been necropsies on deer. There is bone and lungs that contain liquid but also a lot of air. I do not carry and never had a need to shoot a perp but placement to put a hurt on him should do the trick. Penetration in the field is what you want but energy must be applied in just the right distance and even if a bullet goes to the moon after, it will kill fast.
I understand carry means less penetration to protect innocent people. The problem is most carry guns are not accurate enough, have fixed sights, etc.
However we always played with all kinds of stuff to shoot into for fun. Once we were fishing Rocky River and found a bank of blue clay. We went back to get a few 5 gallon buckets of it to make clay blocks. It was pretty stuff. I had to go to work but my friend took his and poured water in and could not wait to test. He failed to make a block. He set it up in his basement and took the .44 mag and shot it. Every joist dripped blue muck and it took him a week to wash the basement.
My fastest deer killer is the BFR in .475 Linebaugh. By setting up gallon jugs of water it will blow 4 sky high and split the fifth.Then my bullet penetrated all 17 jugs in a straight line. I figured I could catch it but NOT. It showed where the energy was. I made the mold as an almost WFN cast from WW's and water dropped. Never would I use it for defense as it would take out my 4 runner too. If inside every wall would be penetrated.
I recently acquired a pile of guns from a friends son when his dad died. I have 2 .380's and the most accurate is the 1908 Colt pocket pistol with a Browning second. A friend carries a newer gun and has to aim well off to hit. Under stress he would not remember where to hold.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
bfr... I used to shoot heavy loads on deer, as well. I eventually figured out it wasn't necessary. If my bullet puts 2 holes in the deer and punctures lungs and/or heart on the way through, the deer will die in short order. Much like your 17 water jugs demonstrated, most of the energy of those 325 gr bullets leaving the muzzle at 1300+ fps was expended long after perforating the deer I was shooting at. I eventually realized that a 265 gr bullet stepping out at 900-1000 fps would do the job just as well, and did a lot less damage to my hand.

The FBI protocol for defense/service loads is 12-14 inches. They chose that penetration depth for a reason: these bullets/loads won't shoot through the torso of a human being, averting the liability of subsequent perforation of bystanders downrange. As hunters, we know that having 2 holes in what we are trying to kill is better for tracking game to the location of the dead animal. When shooting humans, tracking to find the carcass ain't quite as important. So I can live with the FBI's penetration model, and that is why I don't carry WFN loads in my carry pistol(s). I should note that when I'm out in the field or mountains, where overpenetration is a virtue rather than a liability, my sidearm is (usually) stoked with flatnose cast bullets.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by bfrshooter

I recently acquired a pile of guns from a friends son when his dad died. I have 2 .380's and the most accurate is the 1908 Colt pocket pistol with a Browning second. A friend carries a newer gun and has to aim well off to hit. Under stress he would not remember where to hold.

Not being able to remember where to hold under stress is a huge problem with police firearms training. I've tried to do my part in addressing this training problem, and so far it's working. www.tacticalanatomy.com

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Not being able to remember where to hold under stress is a huge problem with police firearms training. I've tried to do my part in addressing this training problem, and so far it's working. www.tacticalanatomy.com

Link is bad.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hmm. Checking with webmaster.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Doc: How do you define WFN? Specifically what percentage of the bullet diameter does the meplat diameter need to be to qualify as a Wide Flat Nose as opposed to a Long Flat Nose? Would you consider the Federal 41 Rem Mag 250 Grain Castcore (P41B) a WFN? The meplat diameter is 79% of bullet diameter (.325 divided by .410).

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bobmn
Doc: How do you define WFN? Specifically what percentage of the bullet diameter does the meplat diameter need to be to qualify as a Wide Flat Nose as opposed to a Long Flat Nose? Would you consider the Federal 41 Rem Mag 250 Grain Castcore (P41B) a WFN? The meplat diameter is 79% of bullet diameter (.325 divided by .410).

Did you check on LBT Website? Wasnt he the one that coined the term back in the 1980's? Seems that would be the place ro go to.
At least I would.

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Essentally what the guys in the video are saying is that at "handgun velocities", gelatin penetration depth and diameter of recovered projectile tells (more or less) the whole story of stopping power.
I'm skeptical.

Last edited by night_owl; 04/15/19.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ummmmm...no fhuqking schit.

Hint................

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What about occasions where LEO need to shoot through glass windows, or car doors. It's difficult to believe that all handguns penetrate the same through barriers.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by bobmn

Veral Smith's definitions aren't spelled out anywhere I can find (I think Stanton does in his Beartooth Bullets manual, but I'm not positive on that). Here's what I've noted for calibers I cast for:

1. WFN - Wide Flat Nose bullets have a meplat about 80-81% of bullet diameter
2. LFN - Long Flat Nose bullets tend to run a meplat of about 72-73% of bullet diameter
3. WLN - Wide Long Nose bullets have meplats around 78-79% of bullet diameter
4. FN - Flat Nose bullets have meplats anywhere from 72% to 78% of bullet diameter
5. SWC - Keith style Semi-Wadcutter bullets vary from 69% to 78% of bullet diameter, depending on the bullet in question

... so there's no hard and fast rule here. I tend to use "WFN" as a generic term for any bullet with a meplat of near 80% bullet diameter, because they're slightly wider than the Keith SWC and tend to fly straight. I don't know that they hit any harder than Keith designs, but they were all the rage when I got into bullet casting, so I bought the hype and invested in LBT and other moulds with that profile rather than SWC's. I

I like LBT bullets and molds, and I like Beartooth Bullets (which are LBT designs, for the most part). But I use other bullets as well. The Lee 265 gr 0.452 caliber bullet has an 82% meplat diameter, for instance, and I find it shoots and feeds really well in both revolvers and rifles, and I can cast a lot more of them with my 6-bullet gang mould in a unit of time than I can cast LBT bullets out of a proprietary mould.

After reading Fryxell's book on casting (great, great book!) I started trying a couple SWC designs, and I'm not convinced either the LBT or the KSWC design is better than the other. The key is use good alloy and cast consistently good bullets of the right hardness for your purpose, and find loads that work in your guns.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by whelennut
What about occasions where LEO need to shoot through glass windows, or car doors. It's difficult to believe that all handguns penetrate the same through barriers.

They don't. Performance through intermediate barriers is highly variable. Gary Roberts' group has done a lot of testing on that sort of thing and has some good recommendations if you're interested in doing the search. I stick with GDHP's for my personal handgun carry ammo because it is consistently good through barriers in all the calibers I carry. Rifles is a whole 'nother story.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good video and discussion.

One question I would have is that for years the .357mag 125gr load doing 1400+ fps was called the king of stoppers, that it was much better than anything else in the real world. Now we don't hear as much about it. Was "king of stoppers" hype, or has new information come to light?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yeah, I'm confused...at 7:52, he says that a .44 Magnum produces a more significant wound, but not enough to matter." Well, then, what makes it a more significant wound? Later, at 9:28, we're told the goal is "the perfect 14"-16" inches of penetration and getting the projectile as big as we can." Isn't the .45 the biggest projectile if it expands at proportionately the same rate as smaller calibers? But caliber arguments are dumb? F me!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you ask me it sounds like Federal is sucking up to the FBI because they are a good customer.
Nothing new.
No way am I buying into the bullshit that the 9mm is the same as a 45 acp. 45 has twice the bullet weight. You can't ignore that.
Women shoot the 9mm better than the 45 so magically the laws of Physics have changed.
Little is the same as big. I don't think so.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ballistic gelatin provides a yardstick to measure the performance of one load against another under controlled laboratory conditions. There are similarities between ballistic gel and living tissue but they end with the skin, fur, bones and various densities of organs and tissue that comprise mammals, not to mention the angle at which any of these may be struck.

It stands to reason that a government agency which puts forth a set of protocols, for measuring ammunition performance, would also set performance standards reflecting what they expect contract submissions to achieve. Federal contracts are lucrative and ammunition manufacturers will bust their humps to land them. They also realize that generally, being more or less compliant with those standards will sell a lot of ammo to people who base their selections on what reviews well in the firearms press, youtube and the internet. Now I don't begrudge anyone the freedom to report their findings; or anyone else their choices based on that reporting. In truth, I doubt any of it matters more than what you had for breakfast.

A man center-punched with 9mm ball, a 38 RNL, or a 45 ACP/ Long Colt is going to react exactly the same today as he did 100 years ago. And as with shooting game, there will always be outliers.

[Linked Image]

The important components to surviving any armed confrontation are the ability to recognize survival means destroying your adversary; the ability to irrevocably commit to destroying him or it by any means at your disposal; and the wherewithal to accomplish that end with fury and ruthlessness, to deprive them of the opportunity to kill or seriously injure you first. Weapons are of course necessary to win, but they occupy a distant second place to your willingness to use them.

Last edited by SargeMO; 04/15/19.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I have witnessed one demonstration of the FBI protocol tests with my own eyes, and ammo manufacturers have figured out a way to stay within the 12-18 inch penetration mark in ballistic gelatin across 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP calibers in six different media: bare gelatin, heavily clothed gelatin, and lightly clothed gelatin placed behind 4 different barriers, namely, wallboard, plywood, steel and windshield glass. Of course, all of the barriers and the manner in which they are set up have their own parameters, so there is no way to cover every possibility. Anyway, it is rather impressive. Bear in mind that the 12-18 inch requirement still has 6 inches of wiggle room factored into it, which is pretty significant from a percentage standpoint.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm mostly concerned with how a bullet performs when I center punch a mans chest at 5 feet distance in a dimly lit parking garage. The only barrier I'm likely going to need to penetrate is a heavy coat. I guess I just live a boring existence.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
bfr... I used to shoot heavy loads on deer, as well. I eventually figured out it wasn't necessary. If my bullet puts 2 holes in the deer and punctures lungs and/or heart on the way through, the deer will die in short order. Much like your 17 water jugs demonstrated, most of the energy of those 325 gr bullets leaving the muzzle at 1300+ fps was expended long after perforating the deer I was shooting at. I eventually realized that a 265 gr bullet stepping out at 900-1000 fps would do the job just as well, and did a lot less damage to my hand.

The FBI protocol for defense/service loads is 12-14 inches. They chose that penetration depth for a reason: these bullets/loads won't shoot through the torso of a human being, averting the liability of subsequent perforation of bystanders downrange. As hunters, we know that having 2 holes in what we are trying to kill is better for tracking game to the location of the dead animal. When shooting humans, tracking to find the carcass ain't quite as important. So I can live with the FBI's penetration model, and that is why I don't carry WFN loads in my carry pistol(s). I should note that when I'm out in the field or mountains, where overpenetration is a virtue rather than a liability, my sidearm is (usually) stoked with flatnose cast bullets.

Good and even a heavy bullet in a .45 Colt slower will kill anything on earth. It is not velocity but where energy is applied and too fast does not mean deader. The fact is I have revolvers that shoot too fast like the 45-70 BFR and it will lose deer because 1630 FPS makes it a stick hole. Then I found a WFN does not work better then a WLN. There is a pressure wave from the meplat that will move tissue out of the way of the bullet and will collapse back so the big meplat theory is not true. Slow the big meplat and it will work better.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you have penetration,you can break skeletons and in a handgun,the chambering/projectile is largely moot,assuming a shred of sense. Break shoulders on tablefare,shoot schit trying to chew on you in the melon...there ain't much to it.

Hint...............

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The FBI protocol for defense/service loads is 12-14 inches. They chose that penetration depth for a reason: these bullets/loads won't shoot through the torso of a human being, averting the liability of subsequent perforation of bystanders downrange.

The flipside to that is the handful of times I've been involved in with security contractors (essentially clearing buildings) they opt for max penetration - bad guys hide behind stuff.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
One question I would have is that for years the .357mag 125gr load doing 1400+ fps was called the king of stoppers, that it was much better than anything else in the real world. Now we don't hear as much about it. Was "king of stoppers" hype, or has new information come to light?

Patrick, you have to take that "king of the manstoppers" title in the context it was made... the 60's and 70's. At that time, 90% of American patrol officers carried 158 gr roundnose lead bullets in their 6-shot revolvers. Which, if you recall, was not a terribly effective bullet at baseline. It was upgraded some to the so-called Treasury Load (158 gr SWCHP at +P velocity), which was a substantial improvement. The 357 Magnum came into more widespread LE use in the late 60's, and a high-velocity (1250+ fps) 125 gr bullet was the "standard". I know guys who carried that load, and they said it was truly impressive to fire those off at night (when most OIS's happen). I have some old Super Vel loads from that era, and have fired them at night for a photo op, and they are amazing... flame shoots 10 feet from the muzzle, and the side blast from the cylinder-barrel gap looks like a giant orange butterfly 5 feet across. And they were LOUD. None of this low-flash, low-blast nonsense!

In any case, one of my old copper buddies tells me they would shoot at perps with these loads at night and the bad guys would often surrender just based on the blast, flame, and roar of the 357 loads.

But ballistically speaking, did they perform any better than current LE/defense rounds? Not really. I've shot ballistic vests with them, and I've shot gelatin with them, and all the metrics are within the FBI protocol. So nothing magical.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I'm mostly concerned with how a bullet performs when I center punch a mans chest at 5 feet distance in a dimly lit parking garage. The only barrier I'm likely going to need to penetrate is a heavy coat. I guess I just live a boring existence.

Snake, when I lived and worked up in Wisco I did an informal study of bad guys shot by police in our area in the cold months. It wasn't uncommon for the local felons to wear 4-5 layers while out and about committing their felonies. More or less typical was a leather jacket or vest and maybe a polyester-fill insulated jacket, denim/canvas shirt, cotton hoodie, and a couple of t-shirts. This much clothing exceeds the FBI test protocol by a helluva margin. Top that off with 3-4" of chest blubber on your typical Wisconsin fat f u c k e r/biker and you have a significant penetration challenge.

The most common rounds carried by the po-po in Wisco at that time were the Federal HST 40 S&W 180 gr load, or the 40 S&W Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point 180 gr load. Both rounds are pretty hot as I recall. These rounds performed superbly over and over again, through clothing, interior doors, auto side window glass, windshield glass, and auto sheet metal doors.

This is the same ammo that you can buy to load in your personal defense guns, in whatever caliber you prefer, and it will work just as well for you. To my mind this is what the ammo companies should be using as a selling point, sort of the way Mercedes-Benz and Ford use their auto racing successes to sell more of their cars to us urban commuters.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Then I found a WFN does not work better then a WLN. There is a pressure wave from the meplat that will move tissue out of the way of the bullet and will collapse back so the big meplat theory is not true. Slow the big meplat and it will work better.

Depends on how you define "work better", but in the main I agree with you. My standard load for my 45 Colt revolvers is a nominal 265 gr WFN bullet at about 950 fps. Cast of Lyman No. 2 alloy it's about 258 grains actual weight. It is deadly on deer and on hogs.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JOG
The FBI protocol for defense/service loads is 12-14 inches. They chose that penetration depth for a reason: these bullets/loads won't shoot through the torso of a human being, averting the liability of subsequent perforation of bystanders downrange.

The flipside to that is the handful of times I've been involved in with security contractors (essentially clearing buildings) they opt for max penetration - bad guys hide behind stuff.

True.

If you look at Dr. Gary Roberts' recommendations for 5.56 carbine loads, you'll note that he lists standard patrol/antipersonnel loads separately from SWAT/antivehicle loads. The latter have greater barrier penetration capabilities. You really can't go wrong with the Nosler Partition 60 gr bullet, for example, at relatively low cost. Any of the bonded bullets from any of the manufacturers out there will do equally well. Federal TRU 62 gr is an excellent choice in this category as well. Black Hills used to make a Nosler Partition LE load that was superb, and I stocked up on it at the time fearing that it would vanish down the road, and it did.

This is the same principle identified by officers chasing down bank robbers in the 1930's, which led to development of "heavy" revolvers such as the S&W 38/44, which were loaded with linotype bullets that would zip through the relatively thick automobile sheet metal of the day like a hot knife through butter.

The flip side of the advantages of this penetration capability is that downrange collateral damage can be fierce with the wrong bullet. So that 1938 .38 caliber linotype bullet might be great for perforating the door of a gangster's Ford V8, but it would just keep on keepin' on through the other side door, and through the little old lady bystander on the sidewalk. This police PR disaster ain't as likely with good loads from Federal/Speer/ATK or Winchester-Western, Black Hills, Barnes, and Hornady... as the OP video points out, these makers have made the effort to optimize performance, and in the case of patrol rifle loads, they've developed loads that will defeat intermediate barriers but still perform to FBI standards in gelatin (no more than 18" of penetration).

Last edited by DocRocket; 04/16/19.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you ask me it sounds like Federal is sucking up to the FBI because they are a good customer.
Nothing new.
No way am I buying into the bullshit that the 9mm is the same as a 45 acp. 45 has twice the bullet weight. You can't ignore that.
Women shoot the 9mm better than the 45 so magically the laws of Physics have changed.
Little is the same as big. I don't think so.

Well, I think you're selling both the FBI and the Federal/Speer/ATK guys short, but that's your business.

The cool thing about America is you have the freedom to buy and carry 45 ACP loads for your personal carry, or to buy 9mm for your personal carry, and nobody can tell you it's prohibited. And you will be well-served by either one, no matter what you believe or don't believe. So carry on and more power to you, amigo.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Patrick, you have to take that "king of the manstoppers" title in the context it was made... the 60's and 70's. At that time, 90% of American patrol officers carried 158 gr roundnose lead bullets in their 6-shot revolvers.

Actually, the classic .38 Special loading performed great when the target wasn't either hopped up on drugs or fanaticism (like the Moro Tribesmen). Anyone not in that category generally dropped to a solid hit even from lead round nose.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
TRH, in my view the standard pressure LRN load wasn't as bad as many folks thought it was, but it was still pretty weak compared to what came after. Jim Cirillo wrote about this (and his response to it as a NYPD guy), among other credible sources.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Patrick, you have to take that "king of the manstoppers" title in the context it was made... the 60's and 70's. At that time, 90% of American patrol officers carried 158 gr roundnose lead bullets in their 6-shot revolvers.

Actually, the classic .38 Special loading performed great when the target wasn't either hopped up on drugs or fanaticism (like the Moro Tribesmen). Anyone not in that category generally dropped to a solid hit even from lead round nose.

38 Special wasn’t used on the Moro Tribesmen, that was the 38 S&W not the same round

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
TRH, in my view the standard pressure LRN load wasn't as bad as many folks thought it was, but it was still pretty weak compared to what came after. Jim Cirillo wrote about this (and his response to it as a NYPD guy), among other credible sources.

..funny, the criminals in Texas must be tougher or something...

When I worked for Dallas PD I used to try and talk with everyone who I could who had been in a gun fight.... There were several dozen over the years because at the time we averaged 80+- gunfights a year and had a 80+% hit rate....unlike 29% average for the rest of the country.

As to .38s, I talked with 9 officers who were involved in 10 shooting incidents either directly against subjects or failed to penetrate cover that should have been penetrated. 8 of the 9 changed calibers after the shooting. Only one, a Sargent who dropped a murder suspect with one shot, had nothing but praise for his gun. Most were the 158 +P FBI load. One was a Federal Nyclad (127 gr.?).

On the other hand NOT ONE of the other officers I spoke with who shot someone with 9mm to .45 Colt ever even changed their load.

..no love or trust in .38s here....nor for the 9mm/147 SubSonic...great way to make a good gun into a 15 round .38...

Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The old 9mm 147 gr. subsonic did suck by most accounts. The NEW 147 gr. 9mm loads seem to be excellent performing loads in actual shootings. Bullet design has come a long way since the late 80's and early 90's.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...well if that is the case then the ammo companies should be able to bump the diameter up .002, duplicate the velocity in a 4" revolver barrel and we'll have a reliable .38..

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

They don't. Performance through intermediate barriers is highly variable. Gary Roberts' group has done a lot of testing on that sort of thing and has some good recommendations if you're interested in doing the search. I stick with GDHP's for my personal handgun carry ammo because it is consistently good through barriers in all the calibers I carry. Rifles is a whole 'nother story.

When we got rid of the 45 and went to the 357 Sig. Auto Glass was one of the driving forces behind that change. Along with automotive sheet metal and all the fun stuff there in. Initially there were some serious questions about over penetration. In a situation like a courtroom or residence. That was pretty well put to rest after researching the reasons the Federal Air Marshals chose the Sig. Most of us shot the Sig better than the 45 too. Though alot of that was probably platform. Even as big as my hand are I was never able to get a "great" grip on our Glock 21s

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

In any case, one of my old copper buddies tells me they would shoot at perps with these loads at night and the bad guys would often surrender just based on the blast, flame, and roar of the 357 loads.

You're probably thinking of the same old cop I am - who really liked having a huge muzzle blast smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by jwp475

38 Special wasn’t used on the Moro Tribesmen, that was the 38 S&W not the same round

Take it one further: it wasn't the 174 or 200 gr, Webley load either. May have been some 160 gr, roundnose U.S. standard that comes to mind.

The 38 S&W (38/380 Webley) also carried a larger diameter bullet than the 38 Special, which also had pretty decent street cred with 200gr. bullets....

I personally know of one officer who shot in anger more than once that chose 148 38 Special wadcutters over the "standard" issue 125 JHP 357's in his 19.

38's, even when loaded with lead back when, would have been interesting if the Keith shapes had been employed.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

is not the video about exactly what Formidalousis said, before the big gun guys shouted him down and probably out of here? In essence most all commonly used handgun wounds are about the same within 10-15% in human tissue. Yes I know someone will be along to say a 454 is more than a 380 but is it really in a defense situation against another human adversary? Probably makes a bigger hole clean thru the target, while a good 380 probably makes a smaller hole clean thru the target. I like the hard cast loads as well but at any reasonable handgun velocity the video pretty much says if it has enough velocity to shoot into the vitals it does not matter the exact caliber. All the anecdotal stories in the world are pretty much just anecdotal compared to actual controlled testing . There is really no good reason to believe a 40SW or 45ACP is more "deadly" than a 9mm or 380 or in many cases a 22LR based on this testing. If you shoot a glock 42 well, and a 1911 with suckness, then you have your answer. All handgun calibers are more alike than they are different.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As stated in the video larger caliber bullets leave larger wound cavities, but the increase is not enough to sacrifice shooter speed and accuracy. I can gain a large degree of control over that by choosing heavier or lighter pistols in corresponding heavier or lighter recoil. I don't have to be forced into a 'everything else the same' concession. A bigger hole is still better.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by HawkI

Take it one further: it wasn't the 174 or 200 gr, Webley load either. May have been some 160 gr, roundnose U.S. standard that comes to mind.

The 38 S&W (38/380 Webley) also carried a larger diameter bullet than the 38 Special, which also had pretty decent street cred with 200gr. bullets....

I personally know of one officer who shot in anger more than once that chose 148 38 Special wadcutters over the "standard" issue 125 JHP 357's in his 19.

38's, even when loaded with lead back when, would have been interesting if the Keith shapes had been employed.

HawkI... the problem we keep running into in these discussions is folks thinking that there is a material difference between one of the service handgun calibers or another, when there is in fact very little difference. Handguns are handguns, and are pretty pathetic manstoppers compared with rifles and shotguns.

Yes, if the cops in 1968 had suddenly all adopted Keith style SWC ammo, or better yet SWCHP (Treasury Load), it might have held off the ascendancy of the 357 Magnum in the 70's and 80's. But probably not, because cops were only hitting about 20% of the time with their 38's, and probably less with 357's. The problem wasnt' the caliber, or the ammunition. The problem was that cops weren't being trained very well.

Look, I've been following the Caliber Wars for 30+ years, and I've even had a small hand to play in one minor skirmish, at my own Sheriff's Office about a decade ago. The issue is that people are looking for a solution to a problem that keeps being mis-stated. Let's use the FBI post-mortem meetings after the 1986 Miami Gunfight as an example.

There were many problems in the 1986 gunfight, not the least of which was the "flying squad" underestimating the fighting capability of the felons; failing to arm themselves with rifles for what they should have known would be a rifle fight; making macho decisions on taking them down based on that underestimation; and then using bad tactics that ended up getting themselves shot all to hell; and a host of less egregious errors in tactics, training, and preparation that would take an entire series of blog articles to elucidate. But these issues were all swept under the rug, and the outcome of the AAR was to blame the debacle on one problem, and one problem only: Winchester Silver Tip 9mm 115 gr ammunition.

That's right. They blamed the ammunition carried by some (and only some!) of the FBI agents at the gunfight. Which is how we got the myth about the 9mm being an inadequate fight stopper that some members of this 24HCF still believe to be true. Which is how we ended up with the 10mm cartridge, as an "improved" auto pistol caliber, which turned out to be a difficult round to work with for most cops, which resulted in the 40 S&W round becoming the New Standard for police ammunition. And by 2016, 30 years after the Miami Firefight, the FBI announced that "improvements in ammunition" made the 9mm as good as the 40 S&W, and guess what... everybody and their dog is going back to 9mm as the issue sidearm caliber for American law enforcement.

The problem was never the 9mm. It was never the ammo, or the caliber. The fatal wound that eventually killed Michael Platt was NOT from Ed Mireles' 38 caliber bullets, nor his Remington 12 gauge buckshot, but from Jerry Dove's 9mm 115 gr Silvertip bullet that blew out Platt's pulmonary artery and resulted in mortal hemorrhaging inside his chest. This is known beyond doubt. (It has been reviewed by forensic medicine specialists ad nauseum. I have spent literally hundreds of hours reviewing the work of the docs ahead of me, and explaining to the docs and police trainers I work with.)

I've mentioned Dr. Gary Roberts' group's database before, which is based on every OIS in California over the past couple-three decades. Their data show overwhelmingly that any round that meets the FBI ballistic qualification criteria performs about as well as any other round in that group. From 9mm/38 Special up to 45 ACP, they all work about the same in general.

Here's the deal: if you put your handgun bullets into the cardiovascular bundle in the center of a man's chest, he will bleed out very quickly and collapse from lack of blood flow to the brain; if you put your handgun bullets into the core of the CNS (the brainstem) he will cease all purposeful movement immediately. If you shoot him ANYWHERE else, he may keep fighting you, even though his wounds may be mortal. PERIOD. This is established fact. Settled science, if you will.

Anything that detracts from this message is bullschitt. Waste of time and effort. If your bullets are too anemic to penetrate through the skull and soft tissues to destroy the base of the brain from any angle, or the cardiovascular bundle from any angle, your bullets are no good, a waste of time and effort, and may get you killed. If your gun recoils so viciously that you can't place your shots into these small anatomic targets from any angle with accuracy, then your gun & ammo are no good, a waste of time and effort, and may get you killed. Virtually all of the mainstream defense ammunition available on the market today is designed to meet the FBI criteria, which means you don't really have to worry if your ammo is good enough... if you carry a service caliber handgun, and you load it with commercial ammunition, it will get the job done. The question is whether YOU can get the job done.

The handgun caliber or bullet you use in this day and age is far less important than most people realize. Being able to place those shots into a very small anatomic area with speed and precision under stress is far more important. Instead of planning how you're going to be able to pay for your next new Wundergun, you should be planning on finding the money to take some good training in handgun combatives.

Last edited by DocRocket; 04/17/19.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jimmyp

is not the video about exactly what Formidalousis said, before the big gun guys shouted him down and probably out of here? In essence most all commonly used handgun wounds are about the same within 10-15% in human tissue. Yes I know someone will be along to say a 454 is more than a 380 but is it really in a defense situation against another human adversary? Probably makes a bigger hole clean thru the target, while a good 380 probably makes a smaller hole clean thru the target. I like the hard cast loads as well but at any reasonable handgun velocity the video pretty much says if it has enough velocity to shoot into the vitals it does not matter the exact caliber. All the anecdotal stories in the world are pretty much just anecdotal compared to actual controlled testing . There is really no good reason to believe a 40SW or 45ACP is more "deadly" than a 9mm or 380 or in many cases a 22LR based on this testing. If you shoot a glock 42 well, and a 1911 with suckness, then you have your answer. All handgun SERVICE CALIBER calibers are more alike than they are different.

I agree with everything you say, except your inclusion of the 380. It's a marginal round at best. Carry it if you like, it's your funeral. The FBI's ballistic gel testing show the 380 to be anywhere from pizz-poor to barely adequate, and the data from real world shootings show that 380's do not perform to the same standard as the Service Calibers.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

is not the video about exactly what Formidalousis said, before the big gun guys shouted him down and probably out of here? In essence most all commonly used handgun wounds are about the same within 10-15% in human tissue. Yes I know someone will be along to say a 454 is more than a 380 but is it really in a defense situation against another human adversary? Probably makes a bigger hole clean thru the target, while a good 380 probably makes a smaller hole clean thru the target. I like the hard cast loads as well but at any reasonable handgun velocity the video pretty much says if it has enough velocity to shoot into the vitals it does not matter the exact caliber. All the anecdotal stories in the world are pretty much just anecdotal compared to actual controlled testing . There is really no good reason to believe a 40SW or 45ACP is more "deadly" than a 9mm or 380 or in many cases a 22LR based on this testing. If you shoot a glock 42 well, and a 1911 with suckness, then you have your answer. All handgun SERVICE CALIBER calibers are more alike than they are different.

I agree with everything you say, except your inclusion of the 380. It's a marginal round at best. Carry it if you like, it's your funeral. The FBI's ballistic gel testing show the 380 to be anywhere from pizz-poor to barely adequate, and the data from real world shootings show that 380's do not perform to the same standard as the Service Calibers.

Yeah - does the .380 make a clean hole through any thing that walks? I'm not seeing that. I used to shoot a .380 some years ago, and the underwhelming still lingers.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
FM, I've done some rigorous testing of 380 ammo, and Johann from the OP video has done a LOT more than I have, and neither of us own a 380 nor will we allow anyone in our families to own or carry 380's. For what that's worth.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
FM, I've done some rigorous testing of 380 ammo, and Johann from the OP video has done a LOT more than I have, and neither of us own a 380 nor will we allow anyone in our families to own or carry 380's. For what that's worth.

Yep. Sold mine, as well. The micro nines made them kind of irrelevant anyway.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
When I was in high school anyone interested in police work was advised to join the Marines, and then get hired. Then they changed the rules and required a college degree.
Now they want women and minorities.
I was president of a gun club for a few years and we allowed the local police departments to use our range to qualify the cops.
I had the keys so I would let them in
and lock others out.
I enjoyed watching women shooting 12 gauge pumps with buckshot.
I would pickup brass after they left. They had 9mm
40S&W and 45 acp.
They would drive the cars onto the range after dark
and shoot with all the lights flashing.
Some cops shoot better than others.
There are lots of variables in shooting.
I am glad that I don't have to do it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Doc I read another article that put the 380 with several hundred shootings reported with about a 20% difference in effectiveness as compared to the 45ACP. Didn’t Cheyenne test the 380 just recently?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Doc I read another article that put the 380 with several hundred shootings reported with about a 20% difference in effectiveness as compared to the 45ACP. Didn’t Cheyenne test the 380 just recently?

I’ve git some ocean front property in Arizona you may be interested in.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What might you have to get through on your way to that promised land of the cardiovascular bundle? Arm bones, walls, car doors, black leather great coats?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My neighbor is an air marshal and was issued a .357 Sig. He has been over to shoot and to even see him on a plane load of people is scary. Now I don't know if it is him or the gun is just not accurate but I hear him shooting up behind me all the time.
I have no axe to grind with the .380 and I just shoot them for fun since any situation serious enough will make use of one of my 1911's. I have a Dan Wesson Patriot and a Colt series 80.
Now the .38 S&W is below my slingshot. I had one in to work on long, long ago. Got it fixed and wanted to test the action. I lived in Cleveland so the best place to shoot was in my old mans car for noise. I stacked a pile of 2X4's on the back floor and shot into them from the front seat. Every single bullet only penetrated half it's depth in the first 2X4.
Now the .45 Colt with a heavy WLN at 1160 FPS penetrated a 16" box elder tree and cut a 1" grape vine in half after and I never found the bullet in the ground.
The old west and Sam Colts SAA might have been the best combination ever. The bad thing was the bad guys also carried them.
Shooting at soaked phone books and paper had the larger calibers like the .475 go 37" while an XTP made only 12". I actually found bullets that penetrated 16" of seasoned oak after going through the paper.
The .44 mag with a 240 XTP made 11" but a 265 RD made 33". A 330 gr went 34" Penetration is sure not lacking with a handgun unless bullets are fast expanding or light.
Long ago shooting a Keith bullet through fenders of a junk car showed it would break into the engine. Some made it to the piston.
I started deer hunting with the .44 and 240 XTP's and recovered all the bullets and deer ran too far with no blood trails. I changed to the WLN LBT and deer went down fast and I never recovered a cast bullet even shot from the chin to tail.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
statistically despite your offer of a land sale in Arizona, the 380 is within about 20% of the 45ACP

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Now I need to get a 5.7, geez

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the Terrorist Nidal Hassan used one to deadly effect at Ft. Hood.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
statistically despite your offer of a land sale in Arizona, the 380 is within about 20% of the 45ACP

Within 20% of what?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My neighbor is an air marshal and was issued a .357 Sig. He has been over to shoot and to even see him on a plane load of people is scary. Now I don't know if it is him or the gun is just not accurate but I hear him shooting up behind me all the time.
I have no axe to grind with the .380 and I just shoot them for fun since any situation serious enough will make use of one of my 1911's. I have a Dan Wesson Patriot and a Colt series 80.
Now the .38 S&W is below my slingshot. I had one in to work on long, long ago. Got it fixed and wanted to test the action. I lived in Cleveland so the best place to shoot was in my old mans car for noise. I stacked a pile of 2X4's on the back floor and shot into them from the front seat. Every single bullet only penetrated half it's depth in the first 2X4.
Now the .45 Colt with a heavy WLN at 1160 FPS penetrated a 16" box elder tree and cut a 1" grape vine in half after and I never found the bullet in the ground.
The old west and Sam Colts SAA might have been the best combination ever. The bad thing was the bad guys also carried them.
Shooting at soaked phone books and paper had the larger calibers like the .475 go 37" while an XTP made only 12". I actually found bullets that penetrated 16" of seasoned oak after going through the paper.
The .44 mag with a 240 XTP made 11" but a 265 RD made 33". A 330 gr went 34" Penetration is sure not lacking with a handgun unless bullets are fast expanding or light.
Long ago shooting a Keith bullet through fenders of a junk car showed it would break into the engine. Some made it to the piston.
I started deer hunting with the .44 and 240 XTP's and recovered all the bullets and deer ran too far with no blood trails. I changed to the WLN LBT and deer went down fast and I never recovered a cast bullet even shot from the chin to tail.

Did I read that wrong or were you actually shooting a revolver inside your dad’s car? If you were that may be the funniest thing I’ve ever read.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
if you get shot in the chest with a 380 and get shot in exactly the same place with a 45ACP you are IIRC about 20% more likely to stop what your doing with the 45ACP. Someone posted the study not too long ago on these forums, now we have this video from one of the biggest manufacturers of ammunition in the world saying about the same thing. It's been difficult for me as well to come to grips with the concept as well that a 240 grain soft point 44 magnum at 1300 FPS is just not that much more effective than a 90 grain 380 at 1000 FPS if they hit the exact same spot on a human target under identical conditions. A 44 or 475 has the momentum to shoot thru a buffalo but for self defense 20 inches of penetration is more than enough and below 2300 or so FPS they ain't that much different.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yeah I did, could not shoot it anywhere else and the car muffled the little gun. It is so weak I think a 1X2 would have stopped it. The car was junk anyway, My dad ruined cars real fast. I don't think he ever got 20,000 miles from anything.
First thing he did was toss the air cleaner so it could breath and it sure did, every speck of dust, then he poured aluminum paint into the oil and gas to seal it up.
Maybe the blue clay would be better!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Actually I think I will get a TCM 9R barrel for my G17 and sell everything else.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
if you get shot in the chest with a 380 and get shot in exactly the same place with a 45ACP you are IIRC about 20% more likely to stop what your doing with the 45ACP. Someone posted the study not too long ago on these forums, now we have this video from one of the biggest manufacturers of ammunition in the world saying about the same thing. It's been difficult for me as well to come to grips with the concept as well that a 240 grain soft point 44 magnum at 1300 FPS is just not that much more effective than a 90 grain 380 at 1000 FPS if they hit the exact same spot on a human target under identical conditions. A 44 or 475 has the momentum to shoot thru a buffalo but for self defense 20 inches of penetration is more than enough and below 2300 or so FPS they ain't that much different.

If you believe that BS then hunt deer with a 380 and test the 20% theory.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
your arguing apples and oranges. You can shoot deeper into a bigger animal with a the 300 grain 44 magnum but average self defense guns would only have to penetrate some cloth and about 20 inches, your pokin a hole .06 inch difference from 380 to 44 mag. For deer a 22 LR solid makes a hole thru the lungs in and out will result in expiration as well as a 380 FMJ or a 44 magnum. I hunt deer with a 90 grain .25, kills the s-hit out of them, but that's apples and oranges too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

This '20% Theory' says more about human behavior than it does about defense load effectiveness. Most people understand if they catch any bullet in the body between their knees and nose, they will eventually die without emergency.medical attention. This rearranges their priorities toward self-preservation and away from being a predatory azzhole.

Of course there are dead-enders, drug & alcohol anesthetized idiots, determined violent criminals and plain crazy mean bastards.There are also 100+ pound drug-house attack dogs and other two and four legged murder machines, often in multiples. You are going to have to rip their cardiovascular, nervous and skeletal systems apart to stop them. Deer and hogs, while not generally dangerous, have no idea what being shot means and they are going to react to the physical effect, as opposed to the psychological effect of being shot. JWP's statement is correct. Shoot some game and you'll soon learn the value of mastering a handgun with power to spare.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SargeMO

This '20% Theory' says more about human behavior than it does about defense load effectiveness. Most people understand if they catch any bullet in the body between their knees and nose, they will eventually die without emergency.medical attention. This rearranges their priorities toward self-preservation and away from being a predatory azzhole.

Of course there are dead-enders, drug & alcohol anesthetized idiots, determined violent criminals and plain crazy mean bastards.There are also 100+ pound drug-house attack dogs and other two and four legged murder machines, often in multiples. You are going to have to rip their cardiovascular, nervous and skeletal systems apart to stop them. Deer and hogs, while not generally dangerous, have no idea what being shot means and they are going to react to the physical effect, as opposed to the psychological effect of being shot. JWP's statement is correct. Shoot some game and you'll soon learn the value of mastering a handgun with power to spare.

Exactly right.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You are spot on in all regards.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
And then there's Jerod Reston, I watched his video again last night and while he took a 230 gr 45 slug in the mouth, leg, butt, thigh, elbow, 2 or 3 in his bulletproof vest, he shot back with 180 grain Winchester HP's from his 40 cal Glock. He hit his assailant multiple times including several A zone hits and only stopped the fight by grabbing the guy and shooting him point blank in the head. The entire shooting lasted 35 seconds.

He now carries a 9mm

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
your arguing apples and oranges. You can shoot deeper into a bigger animal with a the 300 grain 44 magnum but average self defense guns would only have to penetrate some cloth and about 20 inches, your pokin a hole .06 inch difference from 380 to 44 mag. For deer a 22 LR solid makes a hole thru the lungs in and out will result in expiration as well as a 380 FMJ or a 44 magnum. I hunt deer with a 90 grain .25, kills the s-hit out of them, but that's apples and oranges too.

Deer aren't large animals and don't require bullets any different from self defense loads. In fact a 200 pound deer is a big deer. So no I'm not comparing apples to oranges. You on the other hand threw in a rifle round. A 380 isn't in the same ball park as a properly loaded +P in 45 ACP.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TWR
And then there's Jerod Reston, I watched his video again last night and while he took a 230 gr 45 slug in the mouth, leg, butt, thigh, elbow, 2 or 3 in his bulletproof vest, he shot back with 180 grain Winchester HP's from his 40 cal Glock. He hit his assailant multiple times including several A zone hits and only stopped the fight by grabbing the guy and shooting him point blank in the head. The entire shooting lasted 35 seconds.

He now carries a 9mm

9mm properly loaded is adequate, 380 is marginal at best.

Last edited by jwp475; 04/20/19.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
And for the record, I watched a buddy shoot an aluminum road sign with a 380 and it failed to penetrate. This was with Remington golden Saber bullets. I will never own a 380.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TWR
And for the record, I watched a buddy shoot an aluminum road sign with a 380 and it failed to penetrate. This was with Remington golden Saber bullets. I will never own a 380.

I've shot and seen enough 380's shot that I agree 100% with you

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
if you get shot in the chest with a 380 and get shot in exactly the same place with a 45ACP you are IIRC about 20% more likely to stop what your doing with the 45ACP. Someone posted the study not too long ago on these forums, now we have this video from one of the biggest manufacturers of ammunition in the world saying about the same thing.

They are not saying the same thing. I think that you are extrapolating too much. The video is saying that you can manufacture ammo in 3 calibers to meet the same performance criteria and they will all perform about the same against humans regardless of caliber. The .380 definitely is not one of those. It cannot meet all of the criteria, and many loads cannot even meet the easiest two. The Ellifritz study is a review of case reports and doesn’t really contradict this. It is not limited to certain types of ammo, velocities or calibers. It’s just a wide-open review of second-hand case reports. The variables are unlimited. I wouldn’t draw a percentage analysis out of the data and conclude that it’s not enough to make a difference.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Within 20% of what?

Well,

If I correctly remember the thread on that study, I'm not sure he's reading the statistics correctly.

As an example. If the 45% stops 40% of bad guys with one shot, and the .380 stops 20% with one shot, the .380's "within 20%" but the 45 actually stops 100% more bad guys with one shot.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My pard whom the .gov put in harms way many times during his 30 plus years with the "agency" was shot at alot. Hit many times in the vest by a large assortment of projectiles and 5 times in flesh and bone. Four hits from 9mm hard ball did not put him out of the fight. The 5th hit came from a .380 hollow point. That one took out 13 inches of his colon and damn near killed him. However he does not carry a .380 into a fight. He also does not own or carry a 9mm any longer. His comment is that it aint the gun or the caliber that you carry into the fight but the fight you carry into the gun fight. During his service to the agency he was issued a BHP and he came out alive from many fights but he has little love for the 9mm although he used it effectively. In later years doing security work he carried many other guns and calibers but never another 9mm. His choice for his reasons and I cant say he is wrong.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If it recoils "big" then its got to be more powerful and it is producing more momentum but until its going 2300 FPS there aint that much difference in the wounding capability. A 380 FMJ into the center of your chest is going to kill you just as dead as a 45ACP Golden Whizzum bullet in exactly the same spot. You punch a hole in the heart or nick the spine with either and its all over. he only argument we could have is "how fast will one or the other caliber cause you to bleed out". Without 2300 FPS your wound cavity is not that much different between .38 and .45. This has been a great thread and the Lehigh bullets are next on my list of to try things. Again we are not shooting thru 5 foot of buffalo, all we have to do is make a hole thru a relatively soft animal.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
FYI, I have some .380 factory loaded Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators arriving Monday, so I can chronograph them and compare them to the handloads that I rolled using Lehigh load data. I hope to be shooting some more mixed media tests in the next couple of weeks.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am going to buy the Underwood Lehigh 380’s. Your using a G42 to test them? I am going to use a P380. Did you see the Underwood 115 grain extreme penetrator 10mm at 1700 FPS!! Makes you wonder.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It’s stunning how many people are shot graveyard dead by gun/load choices that might not pass these tests. 😜

Sam......

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yes a 22 LR will kill the piss out of you.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
It’s stunning how many people are shot graveyard dead by gun/load choices that might not pass these tests. 😜

Look at all the gang shooting in Chicago. Lots of cheap hardball used there, an many more are wounded than killed. Bullet choice matter, but if enough inner city youths shoot each other with hard ball, some will still die.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Days later.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
They are not saying the same thing. I think that you are extrapolating too much. The video is saying that you can manufacture ammo in 3 calibers to meet the same performance criteria and they will all perform about the same against humans regardless of caliber. The .380 definitely is not one of those. It cannot meet all of the criteria, and many loads cannot even meet the easiest two. The Ellifritz study is a review of case reports and doesn’t really contradict this. It is not limited to certain types of ammo, velocities or calibers. It’s just a wide-open review of second-hand case reports. The variables are unlimited. I wouldn’t draw a percentage analysis out of the data and conclude that it’s not enough to make a difference.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! The FBI specced ammo that would penetrate 12-18", and that is what they got. From 10 feet. Circular reasoning to now say, "Well, there's no difference between any of these cartridges." There may not be any difference between those particular loads, but I don't buy that a 115 grain bullet always = a 124 grain bullet always = a 165 grain bullet always =180 grain bullet always =230 grain bullet.

Makes me wonder if "personal defense" loads are actually watered down from a cartridge's true potential so they don't go past 18".

The FBI specced out ammunition for their needs. They apparently train to get a lot closer to their bad guys than I do and work with a lot of people in the area. I typically work alone on Indian reservations and am not too worried about overpenetation, but am concerned about being ambushed or prevented from egressing on a muddy or snow-drifted, dirt road. My agency won't allow rifles, which would be my first choice in this scenario. So I prefer the heaviest bullets that are issued at the fastest speeds. Our 165 gr .40 ammo goes at about the same velocity as a 124 gr 9mm, (in general, or at least in the brands my agency usually buys) so to me, it's a no-brainer.

As is typical, we qualify from up to 25 yards. How about some ammo tests against Carhartt's and a wool shirt, thermal underwear, etc. at 25-35 yards?

But the technology! We designed a bullet that makes a 9mm = a .44 Mag. The hunting forum is full of stories of wonder bullets not opening up, opening up too much, or otherwise not working as hoped for in the real world. Paul Harrell's videos consistently show that "plain" HP's work as well as, and often better, than what he calls "so-called premium ammo" on his meat tests, but he does not usually shoot thru barriers.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Stray

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! The FBI specced ammo that would penetrate 12-18", and that is what they got. From 10 feet. Circular reasoning to now say, "Well, there's no difference between any of these cartridges." There may not be any difference between those particular loads, but I don't buy that a 115 grain bullet always = a 124 grain bullet always = a 165 grain bullet always =180 grain bullet always =230 grain bullet.

Makes me wonder if "personal defense" loads are actually watered down from a cartridge's true potential so they don't go past 18".

The FBI specced out ammunition for their needs. They apparently train to get a lot closer to their bad guys than I do and work with a lot of people in the area. I typically work alone on Indian reservations and am not too worried about overpenetation, but am concerned about being ambushed or prevented from egressing on a muddy or snow-drifted, dirt road. My agency won't allow rifles, which would be my first choice in this scenario. So I prefer the heaviest bullets that are issued at the fastest speeds. Our 165 gr .40 ammo goes at about the same velocity as a 124 gr 9mm, (in general, or at least in the brands my agency usually buys) so to me, it's a no-brainer.

As is typical, we qualify from up to 25 yards. How about some ammo tests against Carhartt's and a wool shirt, thermal underwear, etc. at 25-35 yards?

But the technology! We designed a bullet that makes a 9mm = a .44 Mag. The hunting forum is full of stories of wonder bullets not opening up, opening up too much, or otherwise not working as hoped for in the real world. Paul Harrell's videos consistently show that "plain" HP's work as well as, and often better, than what he calls "so-called premium ammo" on his meat tests, but he does not usually shoot thru barriers.

Yes I really like Paul Harrels Meat test.
Whereas Gel test provide a more constant medium to test bullet performance against other bullet performance, I feel like the meat target test provide a more realistic yardstick regarding how bullets perform against human or animal targets.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Any body that believes that the best loads in a 45 is no more effective than the loads in a 9mm are full of BS. I’ve shot way too many head of game with both to buy that crap.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Days later.

Within seconds in the chest and instantly in the head

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
JWP no one disputes that you need a lot of momentum to poke a hole through a grizzly bear, but poking a hole through a 250 pound human does not take 300 grains at 1200 FPS. After reading the report of 250 quantified shootings and seeing the ballistic gel info, I am sure a 9mm will perform on humans the same as a 45ACP. The 380 with FMJ is almost as good, but the Lehigh might be a game changer for that caliber as well. The world of bullets is changing, and our understanding/Knowledge is expanding.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
How does the 124 grain HST work on Meat?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
JWP no one disputes that you need a lot of momentum to poke a hole through a grizzly bear, but poking a hole through a 250 pound human does not take 300 grains at 1200 FPS. After reading the report of 250 quantified shootings and seeing the ballistic gel info, I am sure a 9mm will perform on humans the same as a 45ACP. The 380 with FMJ is almost as good, but the Lehigh might be a game changer for that caliber as well. The world of bullets is changing, and our understanding/Knowledge is expanding.

No where have I suggested needing 300 grains of anything. I’m talking about defensive handguns like 45 ACP and 9mm. I ve shot a lot of game with them. A 45 into the rib cage of a deer pushes the ribs in that is visible to the eye and bone are broken better than with a smaller diameter projectile. Hit a deer in th3 ribs with a 9mm and there is no visible indicator of a hit and sometime the smaller diameter projectile goes through a bone without completely severing the bone.

You jump to conclusions way too much, I’m talking of deer and pigs, not as big as some humans.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Its all good JWP, and Happy Easter to all. He is Risen.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I checked out Liberty Ammo’s site, 10 mm =2400 FPS.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Days later.

Uh nope
I personally know someone that took a CCI Mini mag Hollow Point from a 6-1/2 barrel Ruger single six at a range of less than 3 inches from a drunk woman who was fugging around with a loaded gun she thought was unloaded.

The bullet struck him 3 inches below his nipple and 2-1/2 left of dead center of his chest.

Guy instantly thought it was a lung shot and walked to his kitchen about 40 feet away and grabbed a couple of plastic sandwich bags and held over the entrance and exit wound to keep the lung from sucking in air and collapsing his lung.

He sat on the couch for about 20 minutes waiting for the ambulance to arrive.

Ended up the bullet did not hit his lung but did hit his kidney,he had one tube going in to pump blood in and a tube sucking blood out of his penis .This after an hour long ambulance ride to the hospital..After a long surgery he was in the hospital for a couple of weeks and pissed blood for about a year.He survived and was not incapacitated by the shot IE could have done anything he wanted to .

Rare occurrence? Maybe

But to state that any shot to the chest is an instant death is not correct.
would identical shot placement with a 9mm or 45 killed him ? who knows as the wider bullet might have caught the heart or Major artery.Maybe not.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Any body that believes that the best loads in a 45 is no more effective than the loads in a 9mm are full of BS. I’ve shot way too many head of game with both to buy that crap.

And people who say this always bring me down to earth on this subject.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Dude... our thinking on this is so 'yesterday'. We simply must get on board with the Modern 9mm!

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-modern-9mm/

Over the past 45 years I’ve seen countless new pistol loads offered as the ne plus ultra of anti-personnel loads and I’ve seen the FBI christen ‘ideal’ service cartridges three times now- followed by a stampede of lemmings behind them. Frankly I’d rather watch Bullwinkle than suffer through another one. At least Bullwinkle was written by witty people who assumed their audience capable of conscious thought.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
The FBI has been coming up with wonder loads ranging from 9mm-10mm since the agency was formed; since they have come to the conclusion all do the work of a 45 while allowing more rounds, easier hit repeatability, the next logical step is the adoption of a 25 or 32 (30) caliber service round and weapon that will reasonably extend the same logic. Hell, Ive just read here a 22 lr and a 22 Mag needn't expand, since its pointless under 2,300 fps....
Never mind every time the FBI adopts a cartridge it ISN'T a 45 and when the military actually uses a sidearm en masse it goes back to the 45, since those tasked with actually using a handgun and not merely testing them seem to have an imaginary inclination and preference towards it.

Don't take my word for it; 250 quantified shootings and gel tests (that's probably a whole lot more than seen in the Phillippine insurrection, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam and two sandboxes combined) unarguably have all basis covered.

Don't even bother with what constitutes a hunting handgun; everyone knows they all kill the same, especially those who haven't shot even a rabbit with a 380....

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If we ever solved the cartridge debates, what would we talk about?

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
If we ever solved the cartridge debates, what would we talk about?

Chili -- beans or not? laugh

John

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stupidity doesn't get "solved"...though DUMB Fhuqkers greedily align,to "justify" their "findings" and correlate their collective Nothingness.

Hint....................

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bcraig

Days later.

Uh nope
I personally know someone that took a CCI Mini mag Hollow Point from a 6-1/2 barrel Ruger single six at a range of less than 3 inches from a drunk woman who was fugging around with a loaded gun she thought was unloaded.

The bullet struck him 3 inches below his nipple and 2-1/2 left of dead center of his chest.

Guy instantly thought it was a lung shot and walked to his kitchen about 40 feet away and grabbed a couple of plastic sandwich bags and held over the entrance and exit wound to keep the lung from sucking in air and collapsing his lung.

Ended up the bullet did not hit his lung but did hit his kidney,he had one tube going in to pump blood in and a tube sucking blood out of his penis .This after an hour long ambulance ride to the hospital..After a long surgery he was in the hospital for a couple of weeks and pissed blood for about a year.He survived and was not incapacitated by the shot IE could have done anything he wanted to .

Rare occurrence? Maybe

would identical shot placement with a 9mm or 45 killed him ? who knows as the wider bullet might have caught the heart or Major artery.Maybe not.

as a youth my friends dad worked as an anchorman for a local TV station, we hunted with many of the local sheriffs deputies as he know a lot of them. The de rigueur shooting instrument for the African American drinking establishments back in the day was some type of cheap 22 LR, I recall 3 stories of dead men shot with 22 LR's that did not make it to the door of the bar. More recently in my current location a black woman unloaded a ruger mark 1 into a rapist he did not make it out the door either. Everyone continues to say until you get to 2300FPS pistol bullets are all about the same. Had the man in your story been shot by a .380, 9mm or 45ACP how can you say it would have been different? You just don't know until you have 250 shootings to tabulate smile....

but thinking about this more why is it some hunters feel like they have to have a magnum of some type to kill a 100 pound WT Deer? Some can do just as well with a 223 and the right bullets as another cannot do with a 300WM.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bcraig

Days later.

Uh nope

Rare occurrence? Maybe

as a youth my friends dad worked as an anchorman for a local TV station, we hunted with many of the local sheriffs deputies as he know a lot of them. The de rigueur shooting instrument for the African American drinking establishments back in the day was some type of cheap 22 LR, I recall 3 stories of dead men shot with 22 LR's that did not make it to the door of the bar. More recently in my current location a black woman unloaded a ruger mark 1 into a rapist he did not make it out the door either. Like I said earlier until you get to 2300FPS pistol bullets are all about the same. Had the man in your story been shot by a .380, 9mm or 45ACP how can you say it would have been different? You just don't know until you have 250 shootings to tabulate smile....

but thinking about this more why is it some hunters feel like they have to have a magnum of some type to kill a 100 pound WT Deer? Some can do just as well with a 223 and the right bullets as another cannot do with a 300WM.

No pistol bullets are not about the same. I have no idea where you came up wth the 2300 FPS

There is a poster here that was shot a5 point blank range in the chest wit a Charte4 arms 6” barrel by a 38 Special and the bullet didn’t penetrate through his breast bone.

You jump to too many conclusion with what appears to be little experience.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Shoot the head and they all work!!!

The foundation for old age is good memories.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I am sure there are stories of failures and successes in every chambering.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Jimmy keeps posting all handgun bullets are the same and that is total BS, there are bullets for the 38 Special that would have went through his breat bone and through his chest. Bullets are not all the same fir handguns and neither are the wound channels.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
So bullets matter more than headstamps?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TWR
So bullets matter more than headstamps?

They are tied together for sure and certain.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's never been difficult to cypher,who shoots...and who don't.

Hint..................

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Jimmy keeps posting all handgun bullets are the same and that is total BS, there are bullets for the 38 Special that would have went through his breat bone and through his chest. Bullets are not all the same fir handguns and neither are the wound channels.

I agree 100% but John you are not the first to get banned without posting, I AM.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

As far as I am concerned, that is more dangerous than working the meanest streets in urban America! No air support, no 50 friends to drop everything and start screaming your way in an instant, and no fully-staffed major trauma center a few minutes away. Oh, and you may be going up against a guy with a scoped elk rifle who knows how to use it and doesn't care about overpenetration. People who do what you do have my utmost respect. Stay safe!

I started going DIY on that kind of stuff! I use water jugs but I am thinking about springing for some ClearBallistics gel.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am going to buy the Underwood Lehigh 380’s. Your using a G42 to test them? I am going to use a P380. Did you see the Underwood 115 grain extreme penetrator 10mm at 1700 FPS!! Makes you wonder.

A regular poster on Glock Talk who uses +P Underwoods and similar handloads in his Glock 42 was getting frame battering when he tried those in a Kahr P380. You should be able to Google it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Yeah, me too. Deer and humans are close but pain does not have the same affect on deer and are shot to take both lungs with a second hole to bleed a blood trail. I will not even use the 1911 for deer no matter the bullet. Even when you consider the 230 gr or more bullet compared to a 90 gr .380. Weight equals penetration so bullets are made to expand faster for people shooting and they stop before vitals.
A .22 is mentioned so much and it can kill just like any gun but hunting PA with archery I killed many, many deer that when cutting I found lumps on the chest walls. Looked like cancer so I cut to drop out a .22 bullet that had gone through both lungs. I also killed 4 deer with 6" of arrow inside with broadheads that had healed up. I developed a fear to reach inside deer.
Now the .223, Friends daughter used one, shot a nice doe and it ran with no blood trail. Whitworth was with us and we searched with no luck. An hour later I went to my stand and found her deer, almost 300 yards from where hit. I gutted and found the bullet made 6" only, no bone. I convinced him to get her a 30-30 and she loves it and has taken a lot of bucks with it.
If you can't kill a deer with a gun cleanly I would not shoot a man with it either. You will not get 20" of penetration in a human with a .380, forget it.
.44 mag can be too much with penetration too but watching shooting shows had a guy hang water filled balloons on a rack and he caught the bullet in no. 5 with a factory load, NOT a hunting bullet. I have pictures but every thing I try to post is too large.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Yeah, me too. Deer and humans are close but pain does not have the same affect on deer and are shot to take both lungs with a second hole to bleed a blood trail. I will not even use the 1911 for deer no matter the bullet. Even when you consider the 230 gr or more bullet compared to a 90 gr .380. Weight equals penetration so bullets are made to expand faster for people shooting and they stop before vitals.
A .22 is mentioned so much and it can kill just like any gun but hunting PA with archery I killed many, many deer that when cutting I found lumps on the chest walls. Looked like cancer so I cut to drop out a .22 bullet that had gone through both lungs. I also killed 4 deer with 6" of arrow inside with broadheads that had healed up. I developed a fear to reach inside deer.
Now the .223, Friends daughter used one, shot a nice doe and it ran with no blood trail. Whitworth was with us and we searched with no luck. An hour later I went to my stand and found her deer, almost 300 yards from where hit. I gutted and found the bullet made 6" only, no bone. I convinced him to get her a 30-30 and she loves it and has taken a lot of bucks with it.
If you can't kill a deer with a gun cleanly I would not shoot a man with it either. You will not get 20" of penetration in a human with a .380, forget it.
.44 mag can be too much with penetration too but watching shooting shows had a guy hang water filled balloons on a rack and he caught the bullet in no. 5 with a factory load, NOT a hunting bullet. I have pictures but every thing I try to post is too large.

I give a lot of weight to the experience of hunters, regarding bullet performance. That's some valuable data.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
The first deer I ever shot with a 44 mag, I was less than impressed. I was following up a wounded deer, the Ruger was loaded with some remanufactured 240 grain Remington hps. A total lack of penetration.

The next deer I shot, I used hard cast bullets. A total different outcome.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

I started going DIY on that kind of stuff! I use water jugs but I am thinking about springing for some ClearBallistics gel.

Thanks, I just wanted to acknowledge your reply, but don’t want to sound like a drama queen. I mainly only investigate embezzlement and contractor fraud in Indian Country, for which my agency doesn’t believe rifles are necessary, but I think it’s only a matter of time before I stumble onto a meth lab out in the boonies and the rodeo will be on.

Hornady wrote in one of their test reports that they found no statistical difference in shooting from 10 feet or 25 yards. I don’t know, I wasn’t there, but it doesn’t seem logical to me. I guess that, like you said, I need to spend the time and whatever ballistics gel costs to convince myself that a good 9mm load does roughly the same as the .40, especially in winter conditions.

My agency is one of many now considering changing to 9mm, and actually, sort of asked me for my opinion, which I’m sure was thoroughly considered and carefully reviewed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Connect percentages,trump miss percentages and reduced recoil is THE route.

Hint...............

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Neither the ability to kill a deer cleanly nor 20 inches of penetration in a human factor into my thought process when it comes to self-defense. I don't need either of these characteristics to stop a human. Even FBI spec ammo isn't designed to meet both of those criteria, and it is doing fine every day.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Neither the ability to kill a deer cleanly nor 20 inches of penetration in a human factor into my thought process when it comes to self-defense. I don't need either of these characteristics to stop a human. Even FBI spec ammo isn't designed to meet both of those criteria, and it is doing fine every day.

FBI agents shot and killed 70 individuals between 1993 & 2012 (only stats I could find) which is 19 years, so roughly 3.7 a year, so one every 3 months and a few days.

How's that define their ammo choice doing fine "every day".

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Not talking about the FBI. I am talking about all of the police agencies throughout the country who use ammo manufactured to meet the FBI specifications.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The FBI has been coming up with wonder loads ranging from 9mm-10mm since the agency was formed; since they have come to the conclusion all do the work of a 45 while allowing more rounds, easier hit repeatability, the next logical step is the adoption of a 25 or 32 (30) caliber service round and weapon that will reasonably extend the same logic. Hell, Ive just read here a 22 lr and a 22 Mag needn't expand, since its pointless under 2,300 fps....
Never mind every time the FBI adopts a cartridge it ISN'T a 45 and when the military actually uses a sidearm en masse it goes back to the 45, since those tasked with actually using a handgun and not merely testing them seem to have an imaginary inclination and preference towards it.

The some really ingnorant thangs being posted in this thread, however I do want to correct a myth that is commonly repeated...

Every single military/Fed unit/organization that has a choice, has realistic and consistent high level training, and actually kills people with handguns on the regular have choosen 9mm. EVERY SINGLE ONE. When a couple of those units did use 45’s, it had a lot less to do with the round, and much more to do with the platform- (custom 1911’s). The military units that actually kill people with pistols are very happy with modern 9mm... Just like the FBI. Because when seen in large numbers there just isn’t a noticeable difference between 9mm/40/45 in people.

As for the FBI developing new loads/bullets all the time... well I would hope so? Technology changes.

All that aside, the military units that actually do the killing with pistols have validated and use the FBI’s criteria for a reason.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The 45ACP in any modern form, the 40 SW in any modern form, and the 9mm in any modern form looks like they produce almost exactly the same result in human tissue. Normal CCW Pistols are just not that powerful. The .380 is almost as good as the others and has enhanced effectiveness because many people can shoot it better than the hevier recoiling 40 or 45 ACP. You 45ACP advocates find us someone to interview that has taken 2-3 FMJ .38 Cal rounds from a glock 42 into their sternum. Put a Ruger LCR 22LR into grandma's hands and break into her house, if she hits you anywhere above the belt near the center your not going to be hanging around with your homey's to steal her social security money.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

The some really ingnorant thangs being posted in this thread, however I do want to correct a myth that is commonly repeated...

Every single military/Fed unit/organization that has a choice, has realistic and consistent high level training, and actually kills people with handguns on the regular have choosen 9mm. EVERY SINGLE ONE. When a couple of those units did use 45’s, it had a lot less to do with the round, and much more to do with the platform- (custom 1911’s). The military units that actually kill people with pistols are very happy with modern 9mm... Just like the FBI. Because when seen in large numbers there just isn’t a noticeable difference between 9mm/40/45 in people.

As for the FBI developing new loads/bullets all the time... well I would hope so? Technology changes.

All that aside, the military units that actually do the killing with pistols have validated and use the FBI’s criteria for a reason.

...really...apparently you have no clue how guns and ammo are chosen....and if that is the case why since the Army standardized on the 9mm that my friend's son, who just got promoted to a Major in SF, is still carrying the same Glock 22 in .40 S&W he was issued when he went into SF about 6 years ago... Funny that the guys who really do use a handgun in battle don't choose the 9mm...

They may all kill but they don't all kill the same...

Bob

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Frequently, forensic pathologists cannot distinguish the wound track caused by a hollow point bullet (large temporary cavity) from that caused by a solid bullet (very small temporary cavity). There may be no physical difference in the wounds. If there is no fragmentation, remote damage due to temporary cavitation may be minor even with high velocity rifle projectiles.19 Even those who have espoused the significance of temporary cavity agree that it is not a factor in handgun wounds:

Physiologically, a determined adversary can be stopped reliably and immediately only by a shot that disrupts the brain or upper spinal cord. Failing a hit to the central nervous system, massive bleeding from holes in the heart or major blood vessels of the torso causing circulatory collapse is the only other way to force incapacitation upon an adversary, and this takes time. For example, there is sufficient oxygen within the brain to support full, voluntary action for 10-15 seconds after the heart has been destroyed.28

Kinetic energy does not wound. Temporary cavity does not wound. The much discussed "shock" of bullet impact is a fable and "knock down" power is a myth. The critical element is penetration. The bullet must pass through the large, blood bearing organs and be of sufficient diameter to promote rapid bleeding. Penetration less than 12 inches is too little, and, in the words of two of the participants in the 1987 Wound Ballistics Workshop, "too little penetration will get you killed."43

Can someone tell me how a .093 smaller diameter bullet that penetrates 20 inches of denim covered ballistic gelatin is worse than a .093 diameter bigger bullet that penetrates about the same?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by RJM

...really...apparently you have no clue how guns and ammo are chosen....and if that is the case why since the Army standardized on the 9mm that my friend's son, who just got promoted to a Major in SF, is still carrying the same Glock 22 in .40 S&W he was issued when he went into SF about 6 years ago... Funny that the guys who really do use a handgun in battle don't choose the 9mm...

Bob

Thanks for the input, Bob.

Form,
Did you tell them they make 1911 9mm's?

What is this "seen in large numbers"? WWI-WWII type numbers, or most everyone uses a 9mm today type numbers?

On a limited scale, just using 9mm/38 and comparing them to 40 calibers or larger, deer sized critters seem to notice the bigger stuff and even a blind man can figure that out, especially with solids. A good 22 to the head is plenty; why not 22's? 32's?
The plain fact is that, over time, a good deal of sidearm "investigating" has been done by the FBI and (other the 10mm), has continuously chosen (virtually) the same cartridge with different bullets over and over again and some find it a bit silly they've made the same declarations in the past.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Can someone tell me how a .093 smaller diameter bullet that penetrates 20 inches of denim covered ballistic gelatin is worse than a .093 diameter bigger bullet that penetrates about the same?

It's pretty simple, its called damage.

Would you pick a .224 bullet that stays .224 caliber, with a nice pointy meplat, or would you rather that bullet expand to .32 caliber, maybe even give up some of that penetration?

This is how smaller bullets do the work of larger ones, mechanically. In solid form, everything else relies on displacement.

Last edited by HawkI; 04/22/19.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I’m extremely interested to know how many game animals you’ve taken with the aforementioned defensive calibers? I am also extremely interested in how many gun fights you’ve been involved in with the aforementioned defensive calibers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gotta hand it to you guys, I would have bet good money that this has been hashed over so many times it would be impossible to get a good vitriolic epic thread going. You can always count on the'Fire.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hawk1 your just joshing us! No one can be believe that a 0.09 inch difference makes a huge difference! Why most everyone understands that penetration in key and a few hundredth of inches do not. NO one can be that silly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I’m extremely interested to know how many game animals you’ve taken with the aforementioned defensive calibers? I am also extremely interested in how many gun fights you’ve been involved in with the aforementioned defensive calibers.

Yeah Form,
Cause if you haven't killed a truck load of critters with a 9mm, or killed at least 5 men (one with each common SD caliber) JWP475 ain't gonna believe you, and I know that will ruin your day.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Why can’t we all just get along?

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Hawk1 your just joshing us! No one can be believe that a 0.09 inch difference makes a huge difference! Why most everyone understands that penetration in key and a few hundredth of inches do not. NO one can be that silly.

So your telling me you hunt with a 223 and don't care one ire about expansion, because it doesn't do anything. That's what I keep hearing from you and that's what is fallacious on your part.

I also keep hearing from your sources (and you) there isn't any difference in bullet diameter. If that's the case, why would any agency just not adopt .251's or 32's, since they have so much conclusive evidence they all pretty much do the same thing.

Certainly recoil would lessen, capacity would go up and everything you're chirping about wouldn't have any argument to the contrary, but apparently even the FBI draws the line at 35.....for unknown reasons.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

So your telling me you hunt with a 223 and don't care one ire about expansion, because it doesn't do anything. That's what I keep hearing from you and that's what is fallacious on your part.

I also keep hearing from your sources (and you) there isn't any difference in bullet diameter. If that's the case, why would any agency just not adopt .251's or 32's, since they have so much conclusive evidence they all pretty much do the same thing.

Certainly recoil would lessen, capacity would go up and everything you're chirping about wouldn't have any argument to the contrary, but apparently even the FBI draws the line at 35.....for unknown reasons.

Five...four...three...two...one...

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H

Five...four...three...two...one...

[Linked Image]

Of course!

The theory has come full circle....I've been so silly all this time.
I'd bet a sugar cookie this miracle concept also has fully tested ninjitsu bullet to go along with the "package"...didnt see that coming, no sir....

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I know what I'm picking to cap a deer right up the spout next year....and the FBI figured it all out. Hell, Kel-tec of all companies have (apparently) solved every 22 Mag contraption issue as well, sheesh!
Those bullets good for rear quartering shots at 75 yards?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Son, I hunt with both 223 and 25 caliber, they are going over 3000 FPS, you keep forgetting velocity in your thinking.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Son, I hunt with both 223 and 25 caliber, they are going over 3000 FPS, you keep forgetting velocity in your thinking.

FMJ or expanding, junior?

Bullets respond to velocity, in what they are designed to do and what they are made of. You can make them go splat at 1800 or less, with the same length, weight, yada.

Bronze ain't lead and 5 bhn ain't 30....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shooting Critters,resolves all.

Hint..................

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
All questions, confusions, predicaments, musings and such and such as has now been settled. No more needs to be said.

Clue.....................

HE MENTORS ME.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Son, your entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. You need to try an be a little more mature. Just because you feel strongly about something doesn’t make it right.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just because you feel strongly about something doesn’t make it right.

This cuts both ways, Jimmy.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
There is no major difference between 45ACP, 40SW and 9MM. Its not me saying it, it’s everybody saying it that tests bullets and calibers.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Frequently, forensic pathologists cannot distinguish the wound track caused by a hollow point bullet (large temporary cavity) from that caused by a solid bullet (very small temporary cavity). There may be no physical difference in the wounds. If there is no fragmentation, remote damage due to temporary cavitation may be minor even with high velocity rifle projectiles.19 Even those who have espoused the significance of temporary cavity agree that it is not a factor in handgun wounds:

Physiologically, a determined adversary can be stopped reliably and immediately only by a shot that disrupts the brain or upper spinal cord. Failing a hit to the central nervous system, massive bleeding from holes in the heart or major blood vessels of the torso causing circulatory collapse is the only other way to force incapacitation upon an adversary, and this takes time. For example, there is sufficient oxygen within the brain to support full, voluntary action for 10-15 seconds after the heart has been destroyed.28

Kinetic energy does not wound. Temporary cavity does not wound. The much discussed "shock" of bullet impact is a fable and "knock down" power is a myth. The critical element is penetration. The bullet must pass through the large, blood bearing organs and be of sufficient diameter to promote rapid bleeding. Penetration less than 12 inches is too little, and, in the words of two of the participants in the 1987 Wound Ballistics Workshop, "too little penetration will get you killed."43

"Forensic pathologists".....they deal with DEAD BODIES...they don't see the guys that recover...they don't ask the Shooter what the Shootee did when he was hit...all they see is wound tracks and damage to DEAD BODIES. For all they know the Dead Shootee killed five more people but yet had this perfectly expanded bullet right through his heard...

"Physiologically, a determined adversary can be stopped reliably and immediately only by a shot that disrupts the brain or upper spinal cord. Failing a hit to the central nervous system, massive bleeding from holes in the heart or major blood vessels of the torso causing circulatory collapse is the only other way to force incapacitation upon an adversary, and this takes time. For example, there is sufficient oxygen within the brain to support full, voluntary action for 10-15 seconds after the heart has been destroyed."

Apparently you have not talked to very many people who have been in gunfights..the winners that is... Funny but a lot of the Shooters I have spoken with DID NOT GET A CNS HIT and yet the guy went right down.... The oldest guy in my academy class shot a guy who had just tried to shoot him...hit the guy with a .357 125 JHP right between the navel and the nutz and "Bob the guy went down so fast my second round went over his head"...and the guy lived to stand trial... No CNS hit...no majot blood loss before kissing the pavement involuntarily.. The FPs never saw him so the round was never judged...

Killing someone is NOT the object of a defensive shooting....stopping the behavior IMMEDIATELY is the object.

LabRats are the last people you should be listening to when it comes to gun fighting....all they see is what killed the Shootee...not what happened before he died....

Bob

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Son, your entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. You need to try an be a little more mature. Just because you feel strongly about something doesn’t make it right.

My judgements are from my own experiences, largely from bullets I have made myself, used on animals I've shot myself.

I am pretty confident I can build a handgun bullet that expands to a lower impact velocity and penetrates more than what you can buy or have available to you. I didn't arrive to that conclusion based on heresay or some study with an agenda.

As for maturity, maybe when you grow up you can make your own handgun bullets, pit them against manufactured "perfection", shoot your own animals with them and have your own conclusions, instead of pulling up anecdotes you've obviously have no personal experience or effort in.....

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Yeah Form,
Cause if you haven't killed a truck load of critters with a 9mm, or killed at least 5 men (one with each common SD caliber) JWP475 ain't gonna believe you, and I know that will ruin your day.

I’m suppressed at you taking the shot at me for asking his experience with the defensive calibers that claims empatheticly perform the same. With the game animals that I have shot with them there is a difference in my experience. If all he is doin* is spouting what he had read or does he have any real world experienc3 to base his emphatic claim on.

Is that a problem for you?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Yeah Form,

I’m suppressed at you taking the shot at me for asking his experience with the defensive calibers that claims empatheticly perform the same. With the game animals that I have shot with them there is a difference in my experience. If all he is doin* is spouting what he had read or does he have any real world experienc3 to base his emphatic claim on.

Is that a problem for you?

You have no idea just how stupid you are sounding....

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

digressing from the gel topic for a second.

a while back, someone posted this video, which I watched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBqVuXmI5h4&has_verified=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRq3dyV2ng4

it appeared to me this gent may have possibly been on some type of drug, due to his somewhat erratic behavior.

i read a comment made by the officer involved in the shooting wherein he stated that after the guy took several hits and didn't seem to respond, he wondered if the guy was wearing body armor.

it was mentioned that he may have taken up to about 10 hits.

does anyone know what cartridge the Salt Lake police used here in this specific instance??

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
typical ignore science, cause I am right thinking.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

My judgements are from my own experiences, largely from bullets I have made myself, used on animals I've shot myself.

I am pretty confident I can build a handgun bullet that expands to a lower impact velocity and penetrates more than what you can buy or have available to you. I didn't arrive to that conclusion based on heresay or some study with an agenda.

As for maturity, maybe when you grow up you can make your own handgun bullets, pit them against manufactured "perfection", shoot your own animals with them and have your own conclusions, instead of pulling up anecdotes you've obviously have no personal experience or effort in.....

Poor Logic Hawk, we are not talking about "animals" we are talking about self defense ammunition. Your judgements on shooting through an animal and getting the required penetration are surely spot on as you have experience in that area. OTOH you now want me to make my own bullets and shoot my own animals instead of relying on the thousands of data points compiled by hundreds of studies of actual shootings. You are sounding more like BFR or Gus than your usual self in this discussion. 9mm, 40SW and 45ACP are about the same in performance.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Barnes used to make some brass turned pointed solids...you can take my word for it they don't expand worth a hoot on critters, even at 3,000 fps, but do not admire plate steel.

P.S. I still have some in 224 and 257 caliber...and 30 caliber, if coming to your own conclusions isn't threatening all the science out there.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H

Poor Logic Hawk, we are not talking about "animals" we are talking about self defense ammunition. Your judgements on shooting through an animal and getting the required penetration are surely spot on as you have experience in that area. OTOH you now want me to make my own bullets and shoot my own animals instead of relying on the thousands of data points compiled by hundreds of studies of actual shootings. You are sounding more like BFR or Gus than your usual self in this discussion. 9mm, 40SW and 45ACP are about the same in performance.

Humans aren't animals? Who knew....

Who's sounding like Gus?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Droolers are fhuqking HILARIOUS!

Hint..................

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
L

Maybe you aren’t smart enough to understand my point.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
L

I understand what you think your point is, which is why you are so foolish.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

So you know a guy who knows a guy who carries one pistol because he's the boss and can do whatever he wants.....And that is supposed to prove the general rule wrong?

Give me a break.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
One guy...no the whole ARMY SF...these are their DUTY guns issued by UNCLE SAM...

That said they are now having to tradition to 9mm... Were supposed to be getting Glock 19s but now it looks like they will all be getting SIGS... Will find out for sure when I talk to his dad...

Bob

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RJM
One guy...no the whole ARMY SF...these are their DUTY guns issued by UNCLE SAM...

That said they are now having to tradition to 9mm... Were supposed to be getting Glock 19s but now it looks like they will all be getting SIGS... Will find out for sure when I talk to his dad...

Bob

When I retired in late 2013 most of the battalions in SF Groups were issued the Beretta M9 as the standard sidearm. Regular SF (Green Berets) do not get near as much leeway in choice of weapons as popularly thought.

With that said each SF Group also has a battalion that has a mission which allows them access to a wider variety of stuff. Those battalions were using the Glock as a primary sidearm.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
L

I understand what you think your point is, which is why you are so foolish.

BS, if I as well as other can shoot deer or pigs with a 9mm or 45 and see a difference then it is there, so asking one experience is not in your words foolish.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Dont kid yourself into thinking the agencies dont pick the 9mm based on cost and the fact the females and she-males dont shoot nor get their hands around the bigger ones as well. Its not because they unanimously figured the 9 was just as good. Most in law enforcement dont shoot much nor shoot well. A 9mm is the best choice for the vast majority of them and cheapest. Doesnt make it the best nor the one you should carry.

Actually doing something usually changes a persons previously worthless opinion
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I knew that without all the above drivel. And look at how dumb I am or appear to be.

Clue........... Hint..........

Originally Posted by Tradmark
Dont kid yourself into thinking the agencies dont pick the 9mm based on cost and the fact the females and she-males dont shoot nor get their hands around the bigger ones as well. Its not because they unanimously figured the 9 was just as good. Most in law enforcement dont shoot much nor shoot well. A 9mm is the best choice for the vast majority of them and cheapest. Doesnt make it the best nor the one you should carry.

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't kid yourself into thinking that you'll shoot duty .40 rounds as well as you will duty 9mm rounds.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
So you know a guy who knows a guy who carries one pistol because he's the boss and can do whatever he wants.....And that is supposed to prove the general rule wrong?

Give me a break.

...and just for your edification...this wasn't "a guy who knows a guy who carries one pistol because he's the boss and can do whatever he wants". ...I've known this person since he was a baby as it's one of my best friend's sons who I helped to teach to shoot.. I also attended his wedding in Nashville four years ago and got to talk to him and many of his men about gun stuff... He's also one of the youngest and lowest ranked officers to ever win the McCarther Leadership Award.

Maybe it's you who should give me a break....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This controversy will never end for sure. But hitting is always ignored so that is one reason for the nine with more shots then ever needed. Same for a .380 even if it stop a man, you can't hit where it counts unless he is cutting you with his knife. Best nine I ever shot was a war relic, P38, even a finely fit Luger did not out shoot it.
Sad to say I have had white house security guys here and the cops from Dulles and the air marshal. The best was a cop from Dulles with a 1911. The rest would miss their foot. Head shots are a joke with most and you might get an ear if lucky. Recoil really affects many and I would stick out a gun to most and none would even try with eyes that went blank. It is why the .41 went away for police, kicks. There are some like steel shooters that can hit and others that never miss but 99.9% of those that carry just put others in danger. Carry your toy that you need to remember to point 3' right and 2' high to hit and tell me your gun is deadly. False sense of security just because you have a gun.
My daughter was out for Easter and she shot my 1911 to print 2" at 25 yards. She learned to shoot young and could break a bottle at 75 yards with a flint lock, was a Marine and won the trophy and out shot all the men too. Show me a 2" group at 25 with any nine or .380 off hand and I will cook a steak for you.
A wound channel in jello does not work. Even if a jerk has breathed in or out will change results according to air in the lungs. You forget air will compress but liquids do not. Jello is close to meat but do you shoot meat? Do you hit the heart or a leg?
Is animal hunting a comparison? It sure is. The difference is a man will feel pain and fear he is going to die so that can end it. A normal man will stop if shot in the foot. If drugged to the moon and feels no pain you will be dead unless you expend the whole mag into him. You will miss most of them anyway.
It also goes to hunting rifles for deer where a guy needs a 30 round magazine. Yeah I hear it here, bang, bang for 5 minutes since they cant hit a thing. Some day a nine magazine can rest on the ground or a Glock will have a 100 round drum.
It comes down to internet shooters that play games and no experience at all.
All of you will rake me and others over the coals and call us names and claim a .22 is a good bear defense because you can shoot him between the eyes at full charge. Not a thought if the bullet will penetrate the skull. NOT! The brown stripe through the woods only means you should have pepper spray to season you.
The only thing I know if a perp was breaking in my door he will bag of muck and to hell with my car since I can buy another. I will never take my .22, .380 or anything less then the .44 mag or the 12 gauge.
I have the AMT 9MM win mag and it is nothing more then a .357 in the end. But it will sit as I take more.
Little gun pushers live in internet games.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Don't kid yourself into thinking that you'll shoot duty .40 rounds as well as you will duty 9mm rounds.

You and I both know that when you start shooting for real, with scored hits shot against the clock, the 9mm is easier to shoot well than the .40 S&W. Most people who don't believe that have never actually tested themselves against a known hard standard with both calibers.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
This controversy will never end for sure. But hitting is always ignored so that is one reason for the nine with more shots then ever needed. Same for a .380 even if it stop a man, you can't hit where it counts unless he is cutting you with his knife. Best nine I ever shot was a war relic, P38, even a finely fit Luger did not out shoot it.
Sad to say I have had white house security guys here and the cops from Dulles and the air marshal. The best was a cop from Dulles with a 1911. The rest would miss their foot. Head shots are a joke with most and you might get an ear if lucky. Recoil really affects many and I would stick out a gun to most and none would even try with eyes that went blank. It is why the .41 went away for police, kicks. There are some like steel shooters that can hit and others that never miss but 99.9% of those that carry just put others in danger. Carry your toy that you need to remember to point 3' right and 2' high to hit and tell me your gun is deadly. False sense of security just because you have a gun.
My daughter was out for Easter and she shot my 1911 to print 2" at 25 yards. She learned to shoot young and could break a bottle at 75 yards with a flint lock, was a Marine and won the trophy and out shot all the men too. Show me a 2" group at 25 with any nine or .380 off hand and I will cook a steak for you.
A wound channel in jello does not work. Even if a jerk has breathed in or out will change results according to air in the lungs. You forget air will compress but liquids do not. Jello is close to meat but do you shoot meat? Do you hit the heart or a leg?
Is animal hunting a comparison? It sure is. The difference is a man will feel pain and fear he is going to die so that can end it. A normal man will stop if shot in the foot. If drugged to the moon and feels no pain you will be dead unless you expend the whole mag into him. You will miss most of them anyway.
It also goes to hunting rifles for deer where a guy needs a 30 round magazine. Yeah I hear it here, bang, bang for 5 minutes since they cant hit a thing. Some day a nine magazine can rest on the ground or a Glock will have a 100 round drum.
All of you will rake me and others over the coals and call us names and claim a .22 is a good bear defense because you can shoot him between the eyes at full charge. Not a thought if the bullet will penetrate the skull. NOT! The brown stripe through the woods only means you should have pepper spray to season you.
The only thing I know if a perp was breaking in my door he will bag of muck and to hell with my car since I can buy another. I will never take my .22, .380 or anything less then the .44 mag or the 12 gauge.
I have the AMT 9MM win mag and it is nothing more then a .357 in the end. But it will sit as I take more.
I can keep all my shots inside a pie plate at 25 yards, off hand, with my Glock 17, no problem. Two inches? Forget about it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Silly stuff abounds. I train many new shooters with revolvers and I never, ever start small. I give them the largest according to what I see. A lady might get a .44 mag while a big man will start with my .500. It comes around to "NOT BAD AT ALL" and they start to get real accurate. Now when we drop to the piss ant guns all fear is gone and they shoot so good it makes me proud.
What is a .40? It must break your fingers! I NEVER start with a .22 because every step up has recoil anticipation that is hard to cure.
Get rid of fear first. A lady that shoots a .22 will cringe at a .357. Sorry you are all wrong. When she can shoot a .44 she will shoot anything.
Training has always been wrong. Give police a .38 SP over a smaller gun and then go to the .357 and he flinches so bad he can't hit a thing and then bring in the .41 Mag and the world ends. Most comments about the .45 ACP are recoil related but the cartridge has almost none. It is the heavy slide coming back to the stop. OOPS your hand went up.
You shoot a .223 good but what do you do with a .460? Internet shooters abound without any trigger pulls at all, Youtube makes experts.
Bye the way I shoot for real as does Whitworth and JWP.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I can keep all my shots inside a pie plate at 25 yards, off hand, with my Glock 17, no problem. Two inches? Forget about it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
But it is OK. I never bash anyone but am bashed over and over. It is how you load, what you load and what the gun can do and nothing personal. You are doing good so I will not say bad. I have never said bad about a single person in my life but only a process that is wrong or dangerous. I might care for safety most and accuracy and results next but to see JWP and me as the same is an honor so thanks to all.
I do not care what is said, experience is what is needed. It is not TV. Yeah a BG drops at a shot on the run and everyone has a full auto. Two 1911's at once to kill every BG. Fantasy world for most gun owners. Now the net with experts that can't hit a barn wall from inside.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I know a guy whom I have known forever that knows a guy who is married to a woman whose brother is married to a girl whose father once said that exact same thing.

Well now that BFR has chimed in I feel completely convinced that the 45ACP as handed down by Lord Cooper far exceeds anything else offered in mere mortal calibers. And yet people are stopped from their dastardly deeds daily with the piss poor 9mm and even the 380! For you guys from Rio Linda just because it recoils more does not make it a more manly gun and poking a hole at 1000 ft per second thru the pump will result in the same outcome be it .35 inches or .45 inches in hole diameter.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I know a guy whom I have known forever that knows a guy who is married to a woman whose brother is married to a girl whose father once said that exact same thing.

Well now that BFR has chimed in I feel completely convinced that the 45ACP as handed down by Lord Cooper far exceeds anything else offered in mere mortal calibers. And yet people are stopped from their dastardly deeds daily with the piss poor 9mm and even the 380! For you guys from Rio Linda just because it recoils more does not make it a more manly gun and poking a hole at 1000 ft per second thru the pump will result in the same outcome be it .35 inches or .45 inches in hole diameter.

How do you guarantee you will put a round through the pump?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's easy, fire off a cylinder of .460 Magnums first and then reload with the plain old .45's. Those will be like shooting a .22 LR. Two inch groups offhand at 25 yards will be EZ PZ. Shooting at a bad guy is a piece of cake then.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

You and I both know that when you start shooting for real, with scored hits shot against the clock, the 9mm is easier to shoot well than the .40 S&W. Most people who don't believe that have never actually tested themselves against a known hard standard with both calibers.

..what "clock"...are we talking gunfighting here or IDPA...

95% of civilian gun fights take place in the 3-5 YARD area...so you are going to tell me that your "average" shooter who can handle a Glock 19 just fine can't put 2-3 rounds into a target just about as fast with a Glock 23...

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RJM
95% of civilian gun fights take place in the 3-5 YARD area..

Are you sure??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RJM

..what "clock"...are we talking gunfighting here or IDPA...

95% of civilian gun fights take place in the 3-5 YARD area...so you are going to tell me that your "average" shooter who can handle a Glock 19 just fine can't put 2-3 rounds into a target just about as fast with a Glock 23...

To be really effective, we apparently need 45 slugs that break into a couple of 9mm slugs, so our split times would improve and the gunfight stopwatch guy could award us extra points.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Y’all should definitely laugh at an objective standard while quoting debatable statistics in imaginary gunfights.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 61 invisible), 3,002 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.