Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
Should be illegal for all game species and not have a fee associated with it. Total bs.

There I fixed that for you!

Nope, I had it correct the first time.

GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Should be legal for all game species and not have a fee associated with it. Total bs.

Why? I can guarantee that the 2 guys I know that own a ton of property there will not engage in that BS in any way shape or form. What is wrong with proper deer habitat and a few year round food plots just for deer?

They're all forms of baiting. Rationalizing it to make one feel better doesn't change it.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Should be legal for all game species and not have a fee associated with it. Total bs.

Why? I can guarantee that the 2 guys I know that own a ton of property there will not engage in that BS in any way shape or form. What is wrong with proper deer habitat and a few year round food plots just for deer?

They're all forms of baiting. Rationalizing it to make one feel better doesn't change it.

Exactly!!!

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane

I'm rather intrigued to hear your rationale on why baiting should be legal.

whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
Everyone already baits in AL, so no change in the process, only in the legalization.

I don't know 'everyone' in Al. but I KNOW baiting (feeding), food plots << called "Green Patches">> was well practiced in Al in the 80s when I hunted there a few yrs.

Also, there "WAS" a time when the AGFC said, " deer can not BE baited" in the sense that deer would NOT respond to it.
However their attitude has changed since then, ATST it IS legal to "FEED" /bait deer on private property.

I know w/o a DOUBT the deer have NOT become nocturnal. They will avoid feeders in some areas during daylight but they are NOT nocturnal.

I'm NOT arguing, just posting what I know for a fact in Al. & Ark.

*** I don't use feeders/bait or 'green patches' at all ***

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thats my experience too Jerry.

FWIW, An alfalfa field in South Dakota is wayyyyyyyy more effective bait than a corn pile in Alabama, not even in the same ballpark. Deer will filter in from miles away. In Bama deer have so many options.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, deer don't 'Yard up' in the south, nor are they fighting one another for the last spruce needle. Might be the reason one can kill 300 a year and have a 3 month rifle season as opposed to a 9 day season and 1 deer.

No wuffs either.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Windfall
I'm going to mirror what ihookum wrote earlier. Wisconsin has had baiting for years to the absolute detriment of hunting there. It has created such a cottage industry for junk apples and corn that it will be hard to stop now. Some counties have outlawed it because of the CWD outbreak spread by the saliva one deer to another, but people still do it anyway and risk the fine. What it does do is turn the deer nocturnal. I was talking to some baiting guys who put trail timers around their bait piles and they were lamenting that the deer were eating all their stuff between 12 Midnight and 2 a.m. Deer have a 4 chambered stomach just like a cow does and if they can eat at a bait pile in five minutes at midnight instead of spending all afternoon browsing, they will. It promotes poaching after hours. Then it gets to be a contest of who can out bait who to keep "their" deer in their woods. Two gallons of bait is what is legal, but guys were bringing in truck loads. They spend so much for bait that they consider the deer theirs. Years ago I was talking with a warden about my disgust for baiting and he told me that they had flown that area the day before the deer season and counted 23 corn piles within a mile of where we were standing. I drive 350 miles across the state now to gun hunt where the area is too big and rough to be baited. I pass up bucks every year and see them in the daylight by using woodsman ship instead of bait.

So true about deer moving at night. To make matters worse, the heavy baiting in northern WIs has gotten worse. The reason is , there are a lot less deer there now days. Now, deer have bait there 24 /7. Ask a buck why he should come in to a bait pile at 4PM when he can wait till 10 PM . With so few deer the bait does not even get eaten sometimes and the 2 gal. limit is a joke. A hunter just moves 100 yds and baits thee too. There was a time , Granted , there were more deer , but there was a time I saw deer at 9AM and 3PM and even mid day . Deer moved in the daytime. Not so much anymore. . ... And dont think those wolves dont know the deer concentrate at bait piles. A pack can circle down wind and know very easily if a deer has been there. If so , the chase is on and that dumb deer is toast. They all complain about wolf kills close to their homes and take pictures of the wolf kills in discust. They are the ones concentrating the deer for the wolves. Oh well.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by ihookem
Originally Posted by Windfall
I'm going to mirror what ihookum wrote earlier. Wisconsin has had baiting for years to the absolute detriment of hunting there. It has created such a cottage industry for junk apples and corn that it will be hard to stop now. Some counties have outlawed it because of the CWD outbreak spread by the saliva one deer to another, but people still do it anyway and risk the fine. What it does do is turn the deer nocturnal. I was talking to some baiting guys who put trail timers around their bait piles and they were lamenting that the deer were eating all their stuff between 12 Midnight and 2 a.m. Deer have a 4 chambered stomach just like a cow does and if they can eat at a bait pile in five minutes at midnight instead of spending all afternoon browsing, they will. It promotes poaching after hours. Then it gets to be a contest of who can out bait who to keep "their" deer in their woods. Two gallons of bait is what is legal, but guys were bringing in truck loads. They spend so much for bait that they consider the deer theirs. Years ago I was talking with a warden about my disgust for baiting and he told me that they had flown that area the day before the deer season and counted 23 corn piles within a mile of where we were standing. I drive 350 miles across the state now to gun hunt where the area is too big and rough to be baited. I pass up bucks every year and see them in the daylight by using woodsman ship instead of bait.

So true about deer moving at night. To make matters worse, the heavy baiting in northern WIs has gotten worse. The reason is , there are a lot less deer there now days. Now, deer have bait there 24 /7. Ask a buck why he should come in to a bait pile at 4PM when he can wait till 10 PM . With so few deer the bait does not even get eaten sometimes and the 2 gal. limit is a joke. A hunter just moves 100 yds and baits thee too. There was a time , Granted , there were more deer , but there was a time I saw deer at 9AM and 3PM and even mid day . Deer moved in the daytime. Not so much anymore. . ... And dont think those wolves dont know the deer concentrate at bait piles. A pack can circle down wind and know very easily if a deer has been there. If so , the chase is on and that dumb deer is toast. They all complain about wolf kills close to their homes and take pictures of the wolf kills in discust. They are the ones concentrating the deer for the wolves. Oh well.

You do know that Alabama ain't Wisconsin, right?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
You know very well I know Alabama ain't Wisconsin. A deer is a deer though and sure a deer will start coming in at night more and more when it figures out there is food there 24/7 but smelly hunters there in the daytime.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But is opener on a saturday? if it is, ya'll don't know what you're missing by a monday opener, just saying..........

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ihookem
You know very well I know Alabama ain't Wisconsin. A deer is a deer though and sure a deer will start coming in at night more and more when it figures out there is food there 24/7 but smelly hunters there in the daytime.

You are right about deer WHERE they're few in no.

I promise you that you are WRONG about deer in the South.

Have you EVER watch Realtree Outdoors. They often hunt in Texas -- BIG feeders -- lots of DEERS --- & kill some monsters.!!

I haven't watched ANY tv hunting shows in some years but certainly have.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

WHat part of not baiting on these properties do you not understand? There are no cornpiles or supplemental feeding. They have 75 food plots to pick from and well taken care of hardwoods.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Even with our new Saturday opener, enlightening to some and a pox to others, baiting with corn is illegal in Pa. unless you plant it first. wink

I place corn on the edge of the yard for Deer in the winter. They come to it most often at night, because Deer for centuries most often feed at night. Full moon nights are often not the best for daylight hunting, right? Wonder why. Deer are for the most part nocturnal feeders. Always have been, but some act like that is something new. Why do we spotlight at night? Answer: Deer are up and moving.

Bad part of baiting is it often keeps the hunters from being up and moving. However, the tree stand phenomenon has pretty much killed that anyway.

Yet there are times the yard Deer come to the corn during the day also. Especially when it is really cold.

Other thing I’ve noticed is Deer don’t like to eat the same thing all the time. Sometimes they prefer corn, others apples, others just plain grass, others tree buds or nuts. Just because one has a pile of corn out doesn’t mean they are going to rush to it.

If I was into baiting, I would prefer salt over apples or corn everyday of the season.

Last edited by battue; 04/15/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
. They have 75 food plots to pick from and well taken care of hardwoods.

I've said it before here. "Food plots are the modern day equivalent of the ring of fire."

Don't care what side of the baiting issue you are on, but food plots exclusively planted for Deer is baiting.

I often hunt next to commercial corn fields, there is a reason for it and the reason is bait....

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by battue

I've said it before here. "Food plots are the modern day equivalent of the ring of fire."

Don't care what side of the baiting issue you are on, but food plots exclusively planted for Deer is baiting.

I often hunt next to commercial corn fields, there is a reason for it and the reason is bait....

Nope not in this situation , most of the time good bucks don't even come out into the plots in the evening, its usually a doe show with a few smaller bucks(not allowed to shoot) thrown in. We hunt the timber in the AM, thats when the majority of more mature bucks are taken. If acorns are dropping it will be tough to see a deer of any sort in a food plot . I used to hunt SC and if corn was dropped, deer showed up every single time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suppose it depends on what you are hunting for. 34 posts and bucks have scarcely been mentioned, only deer. Does are eating the acorns in my yard in broad daylight, yet in three years I've yet to see a buck out there with them, but they are rubbing the trees a hundred yards back in the woods. Does are always going to go for the best food sources. Bucks, at least where I hunt, are so security conscious that outside of the rut, they are real content to stay bedded down chewing their cud until they feel safe to get on their feet. A friend of mine had a deer farm with several large bucks and he told me that outside of the rut, once those bucks got over about three and a half, he never saw them in the daylight and those were penned deer.

Lots of guys are looking for a shortcut and unfortunately an entire generation has forgotten how to hunt without a 4 wheeler and a 50# sack of corn. I took my kid to hunter safety class and the instructor asked the class of 12 year olds what you should do before the season? He was looking for clean or sight in your rifle. What he got was some kid telling him that you should check your bait pile to make sure that you had enough bait. Sad, but true.

Steelhead does make a valid argument that an Alabama woods is green year around and if it is anything like what I see here in central Florida, I wouldn't have a clue about about hunting here. Hitting the road back up north tomorrow, can't wait.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by battue

Nope not in this situation , most of the time good bucks don't even come out into the plots in the evening, its usually a doe show with a few smaller bucks(not allowed to shoot) thrown in. We hunt the timber in the AM, thats when the majority of more mature bucks are taken. If acorns are dropping it will be tough to see a deer of any sort in a food plot . I used to hunt SC and if corn was dropped, deer showed up every single time.

Makes sense to be back in the woods come morning as they are retuning to bed. Although sometimes you can catch them feeding late. I'm not against food plots, but at minimum their purpose is too keep Deer around by supplying bait or to fatten them up. Thus food plots are a form of baiting. You can play it out however suits you, but they are bait, or chumming if that sounds better. If they didn't support what I mentioned, there would be no reason to go to the effort.

WHat part of not baiting on these properties do you not understand? There are no cornpiles or supplemental feeding. They have 75 food plots to pick from and well taken care of hardwoods.

If food plots are something other than supplemental feeding, what would it be?

If the Does are around then the big boys will not be far away either.

And as mentioned previous, they tire of eating the same same. They may hit the acorns hard, but eventually they may decide some alfalfa would be a nice change.

How do you boys hunt? Stands? Move around? All day, or morning and evening?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
if food plots are something other than supplemental feeding, what would it be?

In all the properties I have hunted in Alabama thats all they are there for. Does have a strong attraction to food plots and you can sit there for hours watching family groups of Does, small bucks, very enjoyable. During the rut some bucks might make the mistake of pursuing does and get shot but that is far and infrequent in my experience.

If the Does are around then the big boys will not be far away either.

Yes but they usually don't make an appearance until very last light and they are fidgety if anything. We see them more in the AM then at any other time .

And as mentioned previous, they tire of eating the same same. They may hit the acorns hard, but eventually they may decide some alfalfa would be a nice change.

I have been there years where a single doe is all we saw on a foodplot at night. They are only hunted evenings. If anything Does are bait. There is so much for them to eat there it is not even funny.

How do you boys hunt? Stands? Move around? All day, or

Get up 1 1/2 hours before daylight , walk 1/2 to a mile to a stand and stay there until you are tired of sitting there. Bucks usually cruise late morning until midday .
Get into the evening stand usually no later then 2-2:30 , sit half hour past sunset.

We are picked up in electrical UTVS(most of the time) . We hunt on roughly 5000 acres surrounded by thousands of acres of privately held land . They have roughly 300 head of cattle and for safety reasons no still hunting allowed. Deer have a lot of options on where to be and what to eat . No Archery, Muzzleloader and Turkey hunting is allowed period. They even have a few days break between hunting . Tracking dog is used if needed , they do not want anyone traipsing on adjoining properties or possibly bitten by a snake of which there are many

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks,
However, it sounds like a foreign country. 5,000 acres and you can’t still hunt because of the neighbors cows and other safety reasons. I’ll take Pa no matter what day they decide to open the season.

Pay and you can’t hunt Turkey. God bless Pa’s millions of acres of SGL and State Forests for those who want to hunt as much as shoot.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 69 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,418
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.