Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like hunting deer and hogs over bait may become legal in Alabama.

Senate bill would allow hunters to set bait for deer
Posted 10:50 am, April 11, 2019, by Patrick Ary, Updated at 08:43PM, April 11, 2019

MONTGOMERY, Ala. - A bill making its way through the Alabama Legislature would allow hunters to set bait to lure in deer and feral hogs.

Senate Bill 66, currently in the Alabama Senate's Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry Committee, would allow hunters to buy a permit to set bait for deer.

Currently, baiting for deer is illegal in Alabama. The state has an area designation for feeding that allows for piles of corn for deer, as long as they are more than 100 yards away from a hunter and not in his or her line of sight.

The bill, filed by Mobile Republican Sen. Jack Williams, would allow resident hunters to spend $15 for a bait license. It would cost $51 for nonresident hunters.

Under the proposed bill, the commissioner of the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources also would have authority to designate zones to manage cases of disease, such as chronic wasting disease. Chronic wasting disease hasn't been found yet in Alabama, but cases have been reported in Mississippi and Tennessee.

Hunting with bait would not be allowed in any of those designated zones. The bait ban would also apply to any county containing a portion of a disease management zone.

An effort to pass a bill approving of bait hunting died last year in the Legislature.

From whnt.com

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The question is why!!!!!!!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Whelenman
The question is why!!!!!!!!!

...survey says! $$$$$

Senate Bill 66, currently in the Alabama Senate's Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry Committee, would allow hunters to buy a permit to set bait for deer.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No doubt the prospect of more money greased the skids, but I think there has been a lot of lobbying from some hunters (resident and non-resident) in AL to legalize baiting.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Should be legal for all game species and not have a fee associated with it. Total bs.

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
It is a road Alabama should not go down. I have seen how it turned hunters that were once very good woodsmen and sportsmen . These guys could scout, hunt and know the lay go the land . Now days in northern WIs. everyone is a lazy assss that can hardly get off their ATV to dump corn at their bait pile. The sit in blinds and wait for deer that they only know are there cause of trail cams. Most now days dont have a clue on how to even use a compass. It takes the hunting out of deer hunting. it turns a deer into a target. Just put the bait where ya want the deer to show up , put a 14" log in front of the bait . When it puts it's head down to eat the log is in the way and you can draw or raise your gun to shoot. It is not even hunting. I used to hunt over bait but have not in about 20 yrs. I dont see as many deer and dont get the easy shots I used to but my skill and woodsman ship came back and I enjoy hunting much more . I just carry my climber , back pack and bow or gun and hunt about 25 stands I scouted out over the years.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Say it ain’t so! Rednecks hunting over bait ! What’s this world coming to ! 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
Should be illegal for all game species and not have a fee associated with it. Total bs.

There I fixed that for you!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should be legal for all game species and not have a fee associated with it. Total bs.

I'm rather intrigued to hear your rationale on why baiting should be legal.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Why? I can guarantee that the 2 guys I know that own a ton of property there will not engage in that BS in any way shape or form. What is wrong with proper deer habitat and a few year round food plots just for deer?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to mirror what ihookum wrote earlier. Wisconsin has had baiting for years to the absolute detriment of hunting there. It has created such a cottage industry for junk apples and corn that it will be hard to stop now. Some counties have outlawed it because of the CWD outbreak spread by the saliva one deer to another, but people still do it anyway and risk the fine. What it does do is turn the deer nocturnal. I was talking to some baiting guys who put trail timers around their bait piles and they were lamenting that the deer were eating all their stuff between 12 Midnight and 2 a.m. Deer have a 4 chambered stomach just like a cow does and if they can eat at a bait pile in five minutes at midnight instead of spending all afternoon browsing, they will. It promotes poaching after hours. Then it gets to be a contest of who can out bait who to keep "their" deer in their woods. Two gallons of bait is what is legal, but guys were bringing in truck loads. They spend so much for bait that they consider the deer theirs. Years ago I was talking with a warden about my disgust for baiting and he told me that they had flown that area the day before the deer season and counted 23 corn piles within a mile of where we were standing. I drive 350 miles across the state now to gun hunt where the area is too big and rough to be baited. I pass up bucks every year and see them in the daylight by using woodsmanship instead of bait.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Windfall - spot-on.

I often see folks from the Alabama neck-of-the-woods declaring they need bigger/better rifle optics with better light gathering capabilities because much of their hunting is a first/last light affair.

They haven't seen anything yet if they choose to pass that bill. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I was in Walmart yesterday . Sporting goods still carries “deer corn” over three months since season closed. . Salesman says they sell a pallet a week year round.

$$$ deer corn manufacturers love it I bet

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
What about baiting for pigs, is that legal? It would be hard to trap them without bait.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by hanco; 04/13/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everyone already baits in AL, so no change in the process, only in the legalization.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
Everyone already baits in AL, so no change in the process, only in the legalization.

Everyone? Supplemental feeding is allowed but the feeder has to be out of the line of sight of the hunter. It(Baiting or Supplemental) is not allowed on the property we hunt nor surrounding properties. In fact I have hunted several large properties in a 20 year period there and never saw either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alabama hunters should oppose this for reasons already posted.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Baiting in Alabama, or the deep southeast in general is different that what a lot of you guys see. In Bama there is green browse year round, everywhere. Hunting season temps can be in the 70's easy. Deer do not travel more than a few hundred yards per day for food. In other words, corn does not have that great of an effect on deer movement here. Sure it may divert a few does and yearlings your way but that's about it. Deer don't hop from corn pile to corn pile.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Baiting in Alabama, or the deep southeast in general is different that what a lot of you guys see. In Bama there is green browse year round, everywhere. Hunting season temps can be in the 70's easy. Deer do not travel more than a few hundred yards per day for food. In other words, corn does not have that great of an effect on deer movement here.

Exactly. In much of the south, all a deer needs to do to eat is roll over in it's bed and start over.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Baiting in Alabama, or the deep southeast in general is different that what a lot of you guys see. In Bama there is green browse year round, everywhere. Hunting season temps can be in the 70's easy. Deer do not travel more than a few hundred yards per day for food. In other words, corn does not have that great of an effect on deer movement here.

Exactly. In much of the south, all a deer needs to do to eat is roll over in it's bed and start over.

This is it. In a year where there's a heavy acorn crop, when deer move it's just because they want to move a little. They're essentially the fat kid in a candy store eating pez candy......they're not going to make a habit of leaving the acorn pez for some corn pez much of the time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 51 invisible), 1,928 guests, and 1,022 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,727
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.