Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I’ve shot hight power but going to check out PRS this year and give it a run.

I’ll be building a PRS rifle... just wondering how many PRS guys we have on the fire.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I asked that same question, sort of, couple weeks ago...a few very good responces.

I did the same as you and am interested in PRS

What are you going to build?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’ve shot these types of matches for many years. I’ll be shooting the Brawl at Rifles Only next month. I haven’t shot in as many as I used to, but I’m sure I could help.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I've been shooting anywhere from 9 to 25 PRS style matches per year for 10+ years now. I love the sport. Can I answer any questions?

Alan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What sort of spotting scope do you recommend?

Are there any budget spotting scopes that are optically "good enough"? I know some of the budget scopes like the Konus aren't very durable, but for the price I can buy 2 and have one as a spare and still be $$$ ahead.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Every time I look through a less than quality spotter, I cringe. I can't bring myself to buy one. I've run my 15-45 Zeiss spotter for 11 yrs. Still awesome. Last weekends match a fellow shooter had a new Vortex 27-60x85 Razor HD with their separate Razor HD reticle 22x eyepiece. Both, together, were awesome. Glad I won a 1/2 off "any" Vortex optic certificate 2 weeks back.

Alan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spotters are one area where, for the most part, you get what you pay for.

I’ve been very happy with my Gen 1 Razor 85mm with 30x MRAD eyepiece.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I shoot about 12-15 matches a year and have been doing it since 2013. I started doing it to improve my shooting skills for hunting and give me confidence in the field...but then I quickly got sucked in by the game and now my primary focus is where I finish.

Last edited by whitebread; 05/01/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Getting ready to start next year. I went to one match with a friend last year and spent a lot of time looking thru his 15x Bushnell Forge bino's on a tripod. They worked pretty good.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I shoot PRS and similar matches about twice a month. I'm not personally a believer in spotting scopes. I much prefer high quality bino LRF's mounted on my tripod. The wider field of view makes it easier to see all the environmental factors downrange while someone else is shooting. BTW, the Sig Kilo 3000 binos are the shiznit. I ran Leica's previously, and the Sig's are superior in most every way, and 1/3 the cost. I'm particularly in love with the way they feed the range to my Kestrel and then display my dope right in the reticle. Sportoptics.com has them listed at $1,200, but you'll almost certainly pay less if you call and ask them for their best price.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I think you are right on the binoculars, I’ll start taking my big eyes Binocs next year...

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I've been thinking about this myself. I want to improve my shooting for hunting situations and thought these comps may be a good way of doing so.

Can a guy with a .308, 3x9 scope, and an old Bushnell spotter benefit himself at these comps? Or will the lack,of sufficient precision equipment hinder me so much that I wouldn't benefit at all?

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Most shots are between 300 and 700 or so. If you have good data out that far you’ll have more fun. No matter what, you will learn a ton about positional shooting, what works and what doesn’t.

It’ll be pretty hard if you can’t dial for elevation with your scope. You’d have to shoot off the reticle, and if it doesn’t have a bunch of good hash marks that you clearly understand, you might be batter off to pass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our club is starting up a rimfire PRS this spring. Really looking forward to it - it’ll be well laid out and run is a given.

Now, back to hemorrhaging money to get equipped for....

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by hillbillyjake
I've been thinking about this myself. I want to improve my shooting for hunting situations and thought these comps may be a good way of doing so.

Can a guy with a .308, 3x9 scope, and an old Bushnell spotter benefit himself at these comps? Or will the lack,of sufficient precision equipment hinder me so much that I wouldn't benefit at all?

You'll be at a loss with a 3x9 scope, especially a scope with standard crosshairs.
You need to see what your shooting at far ranges and your limited to that with a std hunting scope.
PRS is a game and you need the equipment to play, or your going to be a pain and no one will like you. laugh

Minimum 4x16 scope in FFP or SFP ,Zero stop, with Mill or MOA reticle.
Dope card for said scope,
Rifle in a non magnum caliber that has a detachable magazine and has 10 rd mags available
At least three 10rd mags.
Bipod and some type of front bag. Homemade Bean bag or a Gamechanger, Fortune cookie etc.....
Binos to check your targets before shooting the stage. 8 or 10x.
Reliable Ammo, Amount depending on the course.
Eye and Ear protection.
Knee pads.
Hydration and a snack.
This is a minimum list, but with it you'll be able to shoot a course and then get to see what you'll need.

SJC

If Nobody Cares about Winning, Why Do They Keep Score ?
VL

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
719 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.