Print Thread
Hop To
F
Fraser Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I've got a JC Higgins 50 project rifle that was a bit of a beater when I got but it has nice walnut, a smooth action and it is very accurate. In working through this project I've decided that I want the sights removed before I make my first ever try at rust bluing with this rifle.

I've tried heating with both butane and propane without success not knowing what kind of solder was used. The nearest gunsmith is 2 hours away. When I spoke to him on the phone he said it would require heating to red hot. His price is reasonable but I'm worried about harming an excellent barrel. I see a mix of online references saying red hot is reasonable and others saying it is a terrible idea. Would you let red hot happen to your barrel?

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not me but, it was once done to establish it is the first place. If it were me, I would cut it off, the sight I mean

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
F
Fraser Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
The gunsmith did mention that it had to be that hot during installation which made sense to me. I just see so much conflict information that the advice of others is appreciated.

What would be your motivation for cutting it off rather than heating it?

Ash, Army of Darkness
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
You only have to get the sight red hot to get it off. Acetylene is the way to go to get it up to temp and off quickly.

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Heating the sight to red heat will likely be enough to melt the braze (or solder) metal, but you need to protect the bore from scaling. If you don't have a commercial anti-scale compound, you can make a tight fitting wood dowel about 6" long to drive into the bore under the sights. This will char and take up all the oxygen in the little bit of air space between the dowel and the bore thus preventing scale formation. The localized heating will not harm the barrel metallurgically.

RAN

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Model 50s have a chrome bore, will that matter?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I would just leave it on and go ahead and rust blue it. Why not do otherwise?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like having a front sight.
It helps keep the gun from sliding if you lean it on a smooth bark tree.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
F
Fraser Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
The only reason to take it off is simply that think I'd like the looks of it. If it turns out to be a hassle I will just leave the sights on.

As it turns out I was talking to a neighbor who lives eight doors down the street and he has a business from home as a jeweler. Because of this he has oxy-acetylene torches that should be very suitable for this job and he is certainly used to fine work. He's also a gun owner so I'm sure he'd take it seriously. We are planning to give it a try later this week.

Ash, Army of Darkness
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Pay heed to the warning about scale forming in the bore under that high heat.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why I'm fond of Brownell's high strength "soft" solders, plus a MAPP torch is enough. Theoretically you can hard solder without scale but as a practical matter it's hard to control the heat that carefully. Though removing a piece would be less troublesome as it falls off when you reach the minimum temperature. I don't know enough about anti-scale compounds to have an opinion.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I silver soldered lots of front sight ramps and recoil lugs when I worked in the Browning Arms gunsmithing shop, I can assure you that it is not necessary to heat the sight till it is red hot. The solder will be soft enough to remove well before reaching red heat, you will need to protect the bore with an anti-scale compound. An oxy-acetylene torch is the tool for the job, pay attention to the sight while heating and you'll be able to see when the solder melts enough for the sight to be removed. I have also rust blued many rifles and never felt the need to remove the sights.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Induce harmonics/vibration.
The sight will JUMP off the Bbl.

No heat required.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dans40X
Induce harmonics/vibration.
The sight will JUMP off the Bbl.

No heat required.

HERESY!

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just keep adding more/faster powder. I guarantee sooner or later something will jump off.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (257 roberts, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 16 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.