Print Thread
Hop To
T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I was taught, 40 years ago, to clean a rifle thoroughly every time it was used. I recognize now that that is probably unnecessary and was a hold over from the days of corrosive primers. However, I have read that powder fouling attracts moisture and therefore could lead to rust.

If one shoots their rifle somewhat regularly, ie. 2-3 times per month, should the bore be wiped with anything like oil or Hoppes between outings? I wipe the exterior metal surfaces I touch with light oil so that fingerprints do not result in rust, it seems that the bore should get at least as much attention.

FWIW summer humidity is pretty high in the region I currently reside.

Thanks

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tcp.

I bought bore snakes for the rifles that I shoot regularly. Quick and easy to run through with a light coat of oil.

I don't do a full clean unless they get rained on or I start noticing groups opening up.

As always, ymmv

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the reply. I am asking the above question as I have read that improper/over cleaning ruins more rifle barrels than shooting and I recognize that this makes sense.

I am just wondering how little maintenance is TOO little?

Thanks

T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
No one else has an opinion on wiping the bore between trips to the range vs. leaving it fouled? Basically I am looking to see if there is a consensus as to wether powder fouling DOES attract moisture/promote rust.

Thanks

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I hate to admit on here, that I do not wipe down the bores in between uses. I should do better. Wyoming is pretty dry though.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tcp
No one else has an opinion on wiping the bore between trips to the range vs. leaving it fouled? Basically I am looking to see if there is a consensus as to wether powder fouling DOES attract moisture/promote rust.

Thanks

I have let hunting guns sit fouled for a couple of months at a time during winter. Foul it and don’t mess with it till seasons over. That said, to fit your parameters, target rifles I clean and oil after I am through. Varmint guns when accuracy falls off. If I don’t clean it, I don’t oil it.

Swifty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Same here minus the target rifles, I don't have any.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends on where you are. Even NW Montana is relatively dry, so the embarrassing fact is, I haven't touched my rifles since maybe October, and I don't expect any punishment.
I generally only clean when accuracy goes south.
But if I know I won't shoot, I will take a moist patch of Hoppes 9 and make sure the entire bore is coated. Then I park it. Dry patch upon shooting whenever that is.

But if I was in Florida, I'd oil every time with some kind of preservative. If you live anywhere where you ever get atmospheric condensation any time of the year, it's smart to oil.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'm about the same as Dave--except I live in a much drier part of Montana. I don't clean bores unless accuracy goes south--and keep track of when it tends to by keeping a record of all the shots fired on every rifle.

Smokeless powder fouling isn't like black powder fouling, which is hydroscopic. But a little moisture can creep UNDER both powder and copper-fouling in humid climates, where it doesn't hurt to at least push a couple of oiled patches through the bore afterward. A tight dry patch before the next range session will get most of the oil out. But you'll still probably need another shot (maybe two) before it settles down again.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by tcp

Thanks

I've had experiences that indicate doing it either way depending on conditions.

For example, normal rifle storage for most of mine is in the gun safe in the basement, which is very dry and I never have rust issues even though our outdoor humidity is in the 80-90+% range most of the year. I don't wipe the bore between range trips with rifles I store there, and some have sat for several years with no corrosion issues at all. My regular habit with most guns is to just shoot them and put them away; they get oiled frequently but cleaned only when they need it.

However, several times when I've fired rifles in very humid conditions and then stored them in some temporary spot like the car trunk, a friend's garage, etc overnight, the bores collected moisture and developed some rust. A new year's eve party at a friend's place was one example, where we fired some guns at midnight and it was very humid, foggy, and cold. I suspect warm barrels and cool/humid air had more to do with that than the powder fouling itself, but a wipe with an oiled patch would have prevented any issues.

Mostly I prefer to buy stainless barrels these days and don't worry about it much.

IC B3

T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thank you for the replies. I appreciate the advice.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Doesn't take long to run a wool mop through the bore so I oil after every shoot, and I'm down the range every weekend. The oil I use (Sweets Oil, same brand as the Sweets Copper Solvent) will also remove copper to some extent.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Do you use a goldenrod, dessicant, or some other dehumidifying method in your safe?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If you live in Florida you probably have central AC, which is a big dehumidifyer. I live in Texas and have both central Air and Heat. They both dehumidify. I only oil my guns when I take them out and they get wet.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Bore snake is my friend.... run one thru the bore once or twice when I leave the range or when I'm out in the field and high volume shooting at sage rats... maybe once every 100 rounds or so....sometimes more when I start missing a bunch of the little mothers...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tend not to wipe a bore out if I've fired one or two shots and know I am going to take the same rifle out next week. I tend to carry the same rifle 5 or 6 times before grabbing something else. But I give it a clean once I know I won't use it again for a while. It's a pretty dry place where I live though.

But if I lived in a climate with high humidity (like Queensland in north Australia) I would oil it every trip. Last year I purchased a Ruger Ultralight in .257 Roberts that was in 99.9% condition from a website. When I got it I couldn't believe how good it was. But at the range it shot 3 - 4 inch groups and my gun smith's bore scope showed erosion in patches along the entire barrel. He reckons it was packed away unoiled after use and the powder attracted moisture. I had to rebarrel the rifle which was a real shame. And I bought it from Queensland with very high humidity.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The only guns I clean every time I shoot is my black powder guns. I clean my modern deer rifles once a year after season is over and I'm going to store them a while....same with handguns.....only if I'm sure I won't be shooting them for a while. I always wipe the outsides of them down after carrying them.

Last edited by reivertom; 04/25/19.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In general, no. I don't do much cleaning at all anymore. Heck, as much as I love blued and wood...my hunting rifles are stainless plastic fantastic laser beams. I wipe the outside down and at the end of the season I do run a wet oil patch down the bore. That's about it.

Re: Bore Snakes. Please, be careful not to drop them in the dirt. While I love the idea, the fabric of the snake can pick up dirt and dust...which is basically a form of sandpaper when it's ripped through the bore.

To be clear, I do carry a "Kit and Caboodle" when I am in the field. Taped muzzle or not, going headlong downhill and watching your rifle spear the dirt is pretty much grounds to pull out a cleaning kit.

Last edited by rnovi; 04/25/19.

Hunt Africa while you can

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 57 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.