Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I bought a Ruger American Predator a while back. The good : Right out of the box it would shoot factory stuff under MOA for three shots. That is with the floppy stock hitting the barrel and the factory trigger at 3.5 lbs.

with handloads most three shot groups were .5" and 5 shots usually ,75 with occasional fliers opening up to 1"

Opened up the factory stock to float the barrel and put a spring kit and the trigger is now 1.75 lbs. the fliers are gone. All good.

The NOT GOOD It will not feed anything. Called Ruger and they sent another magazine. Will not feed anything. Several fixes on you tube with questionable results

the even worse!! Since the stock has been modified they will not work on the rifle unless the stock is replaced on my nickel. Of course the trigger spring has to come out.

Six weeks turn around.

So I have a cheap accurate single shot

Perhaps I can mess with one magazine before I send it in. I really don't want to buy another schitty stock.

Lefty C

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
What cartridge? The early 223's had magazine issues but I thought that was corrected long ago. FWIW I've not had any feeding issues with the magazines, but I've had 2 of the 4 round rotary magazines break when I dropped them loaded. It doesn't seem to hurt them if dropped unloaded. One landed on a carpeted floor, the other on my driveway. I've since gotten rid of those versions and now have a 308 that takes the AI style magazines and a 223/5.56 that takes AR magazines. I like them much better.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Load the mag's full and let them sit like that for a week or two. It takes the flex out of the lips of the magazine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Boyds/AICS DBM. Congratulations?!?

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Or you can send the Ruger down the road to buy a Tikka (for the same amount in an upgraded Ruger) and not need any of that.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oooopsie!

[Linked Image]

You Window Licking Clueless Fhuqks are a hoot. Congratulations?!?

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've have/have had the RAR rifles in 223, 6mm & 6.5 Creed, and 450 Bushmaster. All have been MOA shooters @ 100 yds. Only the 223 had feeding issues. A new magazine fixed that problem.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If it isn't an AICS footprinted DBM,it is mechanically a HEAVY compromise. Congratulations?!?

Oooopsie!

[Linked Image]

Hint....................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sell it and buy the AI-mag version. Or, if it's new enough to have interchangeable BM, buy the AI BM from Ruger and carry on.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Other than the 204 and 223, folks claim that the 450 magazines solve all feeding problems for those cartridges with rim diameters of 0.473".

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
I bought a Ruger American Predator a while back. The good : Right out of the box it would shoot factory stuff under MOA for three shots. That is with the floppy stock hitting the barrel and the factory trigger at 3.5 lbs.

with handloads most three shot groups were .5" and 5 shots usually ,75 with occasional fliers opening up to 1"

Opened up the factory stock to float the barrel and put a spring kit and the trigger is now 1.75 lbs. the fliers are gone. All good.

The NOT GOOD It will not feed anything. Called Ruger and they sent another magazine. Will not feed anything. Several fixes on you tube with questionable results

the even worse!! Since the stock has been modified they will not work on the rifle unless the stock is replaced on my nickel. Of course the trigger spring has to come out.

Six weeks turn around.

Perhaps I can mess with one magazine before I send it in. I really don't want to buy another schitty stock.

Lefty C

UPDATE

Looking closely at the magazine as I manually push rounds through I can see that the front of the case right at the case shoulder junction is tight. This causes the front of the case not to rise to the top of the magazine, but the back of the case to raises to the top thereby pointing the case downward causing the point of the bullet to jam into the front of the magazine.

Factory rounds work a little better as they are about .010 smaller in dia. But they still jam.

Solution: Set magazine up in my mill and took about .005 off each side for 1/4" of the front of the magazine. Problem solved! Rounds pop up, feed straight to the feed ramp and into the chamber. Every time.

Magazines still suck. They are egg shell thin plastic. I know this rifle is built to a price point, but Ruger could do better.

Rest of the rifle is great.

Lefty

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Boyds/AICS DBM. Congratulations?!?

Hint...............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently bought a Ruger American in .223 that takes AR mags. I put an E carbo spring in that dropped the trigger to 1.8 lbs., and a muzzle brake. While it does not cycle as smooth as my Tikka, it does not fail to feed and eject them, with any AR mag I put in it. Shoots like a dream. I am extremely happy with mine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
2gogsfhuqking,

You are 1/2 way there. Congratulations?!?

AR mags do not begin to have the COAL requisite,to do ANY favors.

Boyds/AICS DBM

Hint..............

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Spring rains must have flooded out his bridge abode. Nothing better to do than corrupt the forum.
At least some of us know how to get out and shoot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KenBitchagain,

Dangle "your" RAR pics. Congratulations?!?

Hint...................

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

The sounds of silence. LMAO

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L

Unfortunately boyds does not make the LH stock that will fit the metal detachable magazines, only the plastic rotary ones……….

LC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think you would have anything to loose by tweaking one of the 2 mags you have since they are not feeding anyway. You might be able to figure it out. Sounds like the you tube fixes were of no help.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Six weeks turn around.

Lefty C

UPDATE

Looking closely at the magazine as I manually push rounds through I can see that the front of the case right at the case shoulder junction is tight. This causes the front of the case not to rise to the top of the magazine, but the back of the case to raises to the top thereby pointing the case downward causing the point of the bullet to jam into the front of the magazine.

Factory rounds work a little better as they are about .010 smaller in dia. But they still jam.

Solution: Set magazine up in my mill and took about .005 off each side for 1/4" of the front of the magazine. Problem solved! Rounds pop up, feed straight to the feed ramp and into the chamber. Every time.

Magazines still suck. They are egg shell thin plastic. I know this rifle is built to a price point, but Ruger could do better.

Rest of the rifle is great.

Lefty

Agreed, Ruger could have done better by using a blind staggered magazine like Marlin used in their X guns and Savage used for years in their 110 series.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,660
Posts18,455,690
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.