Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by leftycarbon

Unfortunately boyds does not make the LH stock that will fit the metal detachable magazines, only the plastic rotary ones……….

LC

Dremel and a CDI BM kit. Last I checked, they will inlet for you, for free, if you prefer.

BP-B6

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Jordan,

Will check it out......thanx!

LC

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
" I know this rifle is built to a price point, but Ruger could do better. "

They do. It's called the Hawkeye. wink

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The 450 bushmaster mag works great in my 6.5 creed. They should sell them with those mags and problem solved.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hoth

The Hawkeye "boasts" a much schittier trigger,an inability to coax rail inclination and is a fhuqk of a LOT heavier. Congratulations?!?

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...28ba93d4c0728c655493f1cd&oe=5D31EDC7

What mine did at 100 yds. after the break-in period. 3 shot group .327 inch. I am well pleased as it cycled easily, and the trigger was crisp and light with ecarbo spring.

Last edited by j2dogs; 04/23/19.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by Big Stick

The Hawkeye "boasts" a much schittier trigger,an inability to coax rail inclination and is a fhuqk of a LOT heavier. Congratulations?!?

Hint..............

Perhaps I got lucky, but my Hawkeye has a 3.5lb trigger with zero creep (doesn't seem all that schitty to me), rail inclination isn't a factor in the shooting I do (<500yds), and while it could be lighter the weight doesn't bother me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bought a .308 when they first came out. It has always shot MOA or better with the 150 grain Federals I use. I have a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 7.62x39. It uses the Ruger Mini 30 magazines, and is bullet proof. I load for that rifle, and the groups at 100 yards hover right around an inch, give or take. I am using Sierra's 125 grain Pro Hunter .311 bullet, and 25.5 grains of IMR 4198.
My other Ranch Rifle is a .223, using a rotary magazine. I get an inch or less all day long with my load using the Winchester 64 grain SP over H335 powder.
zero issues with any of the three.

Sam......

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I recently picked up an American Predator with the AI compatible stock, in 6.5 Creedmoor. Haven't shot it yet but will probably play with it after turkey season. The stock has a thin wrist but seems fairly stiff for a cheapo plastic stock, at least to me. No barrel contact, and the forearm seems hopefully stiff enough to stay off the barrel. I don't care much for the big clunky bolt; mine makes a corduroy pant-leg sound every time I cycle it. I hope it smooths out with some use.

My only other nitpick is the proprietary tool needed to remove the AI stock from the action. Seems an overly complicated way to attach a stock, to me. The binderless mag from Accurate appears to function just fine, so I guess it truly is AI compatible. I don't have any other AI mags to try in it, other than the factory Ruger mag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hint..............

Perhaps I got lucky, but my Hawkeye has a 3.5lb trigger with zero creep (doesn't seem all that schitty to me), rail inclination isn't a factor in the shooting I do (<500yds), and while it could be lighter the weight doesn't bother me.

My lightest Hawkeye (Scout in .308 and synthetic stock) weighs all of 6-1/4 pounds naked, per Ruger. Not as light as my Browning B92 carbine, but a light, handy little rifle. My All Weather .280 Rem has a synthetic stock and is lighter than the ones with wood stock - also a handy rifle with fairly light kick. Sold a wood-stocked .30-06 but never found the weight objectionable - especially since the extra weight reduced recoil somewhat - an acceptable trade-off for me. (Not to say that .30-06 rifles are heavy kickers in the first place.)

All of the Hawkeyes I've worked with had fairly decent triggers - certainly better than some others I've seen - and if one has a mind, they are easy to improve with a little polishing. If that doesn't do it, replacement triggers are available.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I picked up the 6.5 CM Ruger Predators when it first came out. Locally they were 369.00 and tax. Shot incredible with a pile of 140gr A-Max I have had for some time. RL-17 was a top performer velocity and accuracy wise. I have never shot factory ammo through the 6.5 CM.

I then picked up the Predator in 6mm CM. I was impressed with it right away. I shot Hornady factory loads (108gr ELD-M) through it and several handloads. I think I gave 379.00 for it.

6mm CM factory Hornady ammo (108gr ELD-M) first 3 shot and 5 shot groups from the rifle.

[Linked Image]

I really like the 105gr Nosler RDF

[Linked Image]

6.5 CM

140 A-Max 200 yards.

[Linked Image]

129gr SST (200yrd)

[Linked Image]

129gr SST (300yrd)

[Linked Image]

Hornady 129gr Interlock (300yds)

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SMACK; 04/28/19.

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I just picked up a used RAR Predator in 260 Rem. It came with a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 mounted on it, extra mags and a bunch of ammo and brass. Initial impression, the mags are suspect, I like the rest of the rifle. Haven't shot it yet, was hoping to yesterday, but we had a blizzard here in NE IL! I'll try to get to the range next weekend, hoping it's as accurate as others I'm seeing in this thread.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KenMi
*** You are ignoring this user ***
Toggle the display of this post

The sounds of silence. LMAO

Why does the forum software put blank spaces between every post? laugh

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Do all the Ruger American's have the "corduroy" ribbed bolt?

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by peeshooter
Do all the Ruger American's have the "corduroy" ribbed bolt?

Everyone I have had does

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a ..308 that is a sub-half-minute shooter with 150 Interlocks. I had to replace the spring and put a little epoxy in the front of the stock. The magazines did not work well, if you put more than a couple rounds in them. Ruger sent me new mags, which seem to work fine. I have shot about a thousand rounds through it and I am real happy with the rifle.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Noticed a difference in the internals of the 2 mags I got with the RAR Predator. One has a metal follower and the other is plastic and how they each work is different with different types of springs in each one. The one with the metal follower had almost zero spring tension and rounds would not come up as the action was worked. Took the end cap off the mag (and of course broke off 2 of the really cheap little plastic locking tabs! C'Mon Ruger!) and put 2 full counterclockwise rotations on the follower to load up the spring. Now it works perfectly, feeds every round every time. After putting the end cap back on I used some nylon reinforcing tape on the back of the mag to hold the end cap on. The mag actually fits, and works, better with the tape on the back of it! LOL! Snug, but not too snug, and it cycles perfectly every time. I'm going to borrow a 450 Bushmaster mag from a buddy of mine and see how that works, as others here have mentioned. I realize the rifle is what it is, "economical", but the delivery system sure could be better!

Attached Images
2019-05-10 14.31.08.jpg (87.77 KB, 46 downloads)
2019-05-10 14.31.24.jpg (88.95 KB, 43 downloads)
Last edited by DeanAnderson; 05/10/19.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Tag

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really need to find a 6mm CM.. use it for F class shoots 😁

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Hint..............

Stick:

What are your "Plusses" of the Ruger American (versus all others out there, not just the Hawkeye?)
I find it inexpensive, accurate, and functional, but detest the rotary mags. I also wish they made Talley Rings for 'em.

Anyway, interested in your upside on these.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
757 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 77 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,413
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.