Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Jevyod Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I know an older guy, a retired gunsmith. I wanted to build a rifle with him, and he said he would help me do it. I only have a few rifles, and have a caliber gap from my 260 rem to a 358 Winchester. Was thinking something in the 30-8mm range. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the 30-06 or the 8x57. I am leaning towards the ought 6 for several reasons. Availability of components (I reload), better BC (i think), cheaper components...not sure what else. This will be a deer/hog rifle, and i am not a long range shooter. If I want to get into long range paper punching I will use my 260. Is there something I am overlooking here? Is one easier to build than the other? The guy already has the reamers for both chamberings. This project is basically so I have something to remember the guy by. Or is there another 30 caliber that I should be considering? I don't want to get into anything that requires a lot of extra work to make it function.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't be in a hurry,to make a bad decision. Both chamberings suck ass. Congratulations?!?

What Donor action,as that will dictate opportunity?

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An 8mm has more panache` and there certainly is no shortage of components for either. There is so little mechanical difference between the 2 it is a wash.

Politics is War by Other Means
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would go with the ‘06 due to availability of components and ammo. If you want 8x57 performance in a .30, go with a .308 Winchester. YMMV

Last edited by WAM; 04/15/19.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tyrone
An 8mm has more panache` and there certainly is no shortage of components for either. There is so little mechanical difference between the 2 it is a wash.

Nothing is fhuqking funnier,than Melting Snowflakes TRYING to "talk" rifles. Congratulations?!?

One could load .308" projectiles backwards and still slap an 8mm silly.

Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WAM
I would go with the ‘06 due to availability of components and ammo. If you want 8x57 performance in a .30, go with a .308 Winchester. YMMV

The Donor will stipulate dot connecting.

Hint................

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
There is no practical difference. If you are an American and you don’t have a 30-06, you should get one. On the other hand, you could have plenty of options in 30-06 for less than $500. Neither would be my first choice for building a rifle, but neither is a bad choice for anything.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Nothing is fhuqking funnier,than Melting Snowflakes TRYING to "talk" rifles. Congratulations?!?

One could load .308" projectiles backwards and still slap an 8mm silly.

But...but...
Originally Posted by Fug Stick
Bullets matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps.

Fug Stick, that's about the smartest thing you ever said, but even you are too stupid to understand it.

All you need for what the OP wants is a 150gr bullet in either diameter.

There isn't much funnier than a rock-shooting troll like you trying to give "advice".

J
Jevyod Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Not sure yet on the donor action... probably a savage action. I realize I could buy an 06 for cheaper, but like I said, I want to build one with the guy as a remembrance of him.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trybone,

PLEASE find me "mistaken" about anything and I'll simply rub your nose even further into you INCREDIBLE Fhuqking Stupidity. Though in fairness,you do suck a mean ass,undoubtedly due to a lifetime of practice. Congratulations?!?

A 6BR will crush both,with 150's. As stated,the Donor particulars,controls the viability.

Hint.................

IC B3

J
Jevyod Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
As far as short vs long action I am not stuck on one over the other. Feel free to advise other chamberings that will fill the gap nicely. I am not a fan of stuffing large amounts of powder in a case to increase recoil and marginally increase fps.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Not sure yet on the donor action... probably a savage action. I realize I could buy an 06 for cheaper, but like I said, I want to build one with the guy as a remembrance of him.

With a Salvage,I'd simply go NSS and headspace to a Lot of GOOD brass. I'd be in 1-8" 280 Mode,use Lapooey '06 brass and never trim a case) with 180's and it's as "tricky" as tightening lug nuts. What's to remember about a Goat Fhuqk build,in a poor chambering? Congratulations?!?

Hint................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jevyod
As far as short vs long action I am not stuck on one over the other. Feel free to advise other chamberings that will fill the gap nicely. I am not a fan of stuffing large amounts of powder in a case to increase recoil and marginally increase fps.

No you are talking,with the short Action muse. Build a 224 Kreedmire,focus 88's and never look back. I'd still go NSS,give James a shout and be shooting same in but a coupla days(he ships FAST).

Hint................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Trybone,

PLEASE find me "mistaken" about anything and I'll simply rub your nose even further into you INCREDIBLE Fhuqking Stupidity. Though in fairness,you do suck a mean ass,undoubtedly due to a lifetime of practice. Congratulations?!?
Your man-lust fantasies are getting the best of you, you little homo.

A 6BR will crush both,with 150's.
Nobody cares.
As stated,the Donor particulars,controls the viability.
Ya think? laugh I know, you would not want to let the poor fellow leave 30 thou on the table, would you? laugh

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I wouldn’t call anything on a Savage action a “build”. You literally stick in gauge, screw the barrel to it, then tighten the barrel nut. In a Savage? Just do the 30-06.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sometimes when I am in a quandry as to which direction/choice I want to make, I will say to myself, heads..this, tails..that.

I'll flip the coin. If I'm not satisfied with the coin toss, then I know which direction to take!

One could always do one of each, or make a switch-barrel rifle!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trybone,

Why don't you chase your trail and spin in circles. Ooooopsie!...too fhuqking late. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart for doing your best.

Hint...................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by geedubya
Sometimes when I am in a quandry as to which direction/choice I want to make, I will say to myself, heads..this, tails..that.

I'll flip the coin. If I'm not satisfied with the coin toss, then I know which direction to take!

One could always do one of each, or make a switch-barrel rifle!

ya!

GWB

All Salvages are switch barrels...but nothing is fhuqking funnier than Texans TRYING to "talk" rifles. Congratulations?!?

James has a Shilen S/S Salvage 8" 6BR no-turn on the shelf now,on Sale.

Hint..................

J
Jevyod Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I wouldn’t call anything on a Savage action a “build”. You literally stick in gauge, screw the barrel to it, then tighten the barrel nut. In a Savage? Just do the 30-06.

Was thinking of buying a blank, ream the chamber etc.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keep the horse in front of the cart.

Hint...............

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,136
Posts18,464,777
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.