Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I wouldn’t call anything on a Savage action a “build”. You literally stick in gauge, screw the barrel to it, then tighten the barrel nut. In a Savage? Just do the 30-06.

Was thinking of buying a blank, ream the chamber etc.

Why? Lots of good Savage barrels in any chambering you want by about any maker you can name. If you just want to spend more money, have at it.

GB1

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
To the original question...I wouldn't do either personally.

You'd be better off to build a 6.5 or 7mm or some sort. If your donor is a long action id personally go 260 rem with lots of latitude for COAL. If a short action id go 7mm-08 all day and twice on Sunday. You could of course do a 280 Rem on the long action but imho a 260 or a 7mm-08 will shoot circles around anything built off the 06 case.

If your dead set on a 30-06 or a 8x57...get a 30-06. 8mm bullets suck and the gas tank on the 8x57 isn't big enough to push the 196-200 grain bullets fast enough. Id note the 8x57 shooting 200s is a pretty stout recoiling package as well. But again...I would do either one.

Note that a 8x57 and 30-06 are about equal in terms of HUNTING performance. Id take either one anywhere and do anything with them as far as game taking capability goes. But id rather a 7mm

GOD Bless America
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick

All Salvages are switch barrels...but nothing is fhuqking funnier than Texans TRYING to "talk" rifles. Congratulations?!?

BTW,

Them that can, do

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I let my rifles do the talkin'.............

Them that can't, troll!

Not much sadder than a fellow with your knowledge and ability, to be reduced to trollin', trollin' trollin'.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Quak
To the original question...I wouldn't do either personally.

You'd be better off to build a 6.5 or 7mm or some sort. If your donor is a long action id personally go 260 rem with lots of latitude for COAL. If a short action id go 7mm-08 all day and twice on Sunday. You could of course do a 280 Rem on the long action but imho a 260 or a 7mm-08 will shoot circles around anything built off the 06 case.

If your dead set on a 30-06 or a 8x57...get a 30-06. 8mm bullets suck and the gas tank on the 8x57 isn't big enough to push the 196-200 grain bullets fast enough. Id note the 8x57 shooting 200s is a pretty stout recoiling package as well. But again...I would do either one.

Note that a 8x57 and 30-06 are about equal in terms of HUNTING performance. Id take either one anywhere and do anything with them as far as game taking capability goes. But id rather a 7mm

Already have a 260. I am looking for something to fill the gap between my 260 and 358 Winchester. I had given the 280 some thought.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dubya',

Pardon simplistic facts,so reliably trouble you so. Congratulations?!?

Only you,can keep you...from saying something fhuqking Stupid and I do enjoy that you've zero refrain. Nothing is fhuqking funnier,than a Texan TRYING to "talk" rifles.

Hint......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A 8" 7-08 for 180 ELD's,is a literal fhuqking HAMMER. Hint.

Build something FUN to shoot...due the fact,it might even get used a smidge.

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
280 is awesome no doubt. You'd be very happy with a 280...much more so than either the 06 or 8x57 imho.

Id be hesitant however to try to fill any gap the exists between the 260 and 358. There is nothing a 280, 30-06 or 8x57 could do that your 260 couldn't do as well or better. Boring i know...but if it cant be done with a 140gr. 6.5 bullet...a .30 or .32 isnt the answer.

GOD Bless America
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I thought there was a law or something- every firearm owner must own a 30/06. Quickly before they catch on get yourself a classic.
The 30/06 is never a bad choice anyways

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That would depend upon the particulars,of said 260...if only because boolits matter wayyyyyyyyy more than headstamps.

Hint.................

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by Big Stick

All Salvages are switch barrels...but nothing is fhuqking funnier than Texans TRYING to "talk" rifles. Congratulations?!?

BTW,

Them that can, do

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I let my rifles do the talkin'.............

Them that can't, troll!

Not much sadder than a fellow with your knowledge and ability, to be reduced to trollin', trollin' trollin'.

ya!

GWB

Nice shooting! The last time I took a turkey was while hunting in Texas. Nice people down there. Nice whitetails too.

IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I know an older guy, a retired gunsmith. I wanted to build a rifle with him, and he said he would help me do it. I only have a few rifles, and have a caliber gap from my 260 rem to a 358 Winchester. Was thinking something in the 30-8mm range. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the 30-06 or the 8x57. I am leaning towards the ought 6 for several reasons. Availability of components (I reload), better BC (i think), cheaper components...not sure what else. This will be a deer/hog rifle, and i am not a long range shooter. If I want to get into long range paper punching I will use my 260. Is there something I am overlooking here? Is one easier to build than the other? The guy already has the reamers for both chamberings. This project is basically so I have something to remember the guy by. Or is there another 30 caliber that I should be considering? I don't want to get into anything that requires a lot of extra work to make it function.

Since you said the project is something to remember the guy by why not ask him what his favorite cartridge is and why? That might get you a rifle that will have several "layers" of qualities to remember him by.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by GoForBroke
I know an older guy, a retired gunsmith. I wanted to build a rifle with him, and he said he would help me do it. I only have a few rifles, and have a caliber gap from my 260 rem to a 358 Winchester. Was thinking something in the 30-8mm range. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the 30-06 or the 8x57. I am leaning towards the ought 6 for several reasons. Availability of components (I reload), better BC (i think), cheaper components...not sure what else. This will be a deer/hog rifle, and i am not a long range shooter. If I want to get into long range paper punching I will use my 260. Is there something I am overlooking here? Is one easier to build than the other? The guy already has the reamers for both chamberings. This project is basically so I have something to remember the guy by. Or is there another 30 caliber that I should be considering? I don't want to get into anything that requires a lot of extra work to make it function.

Since you said the project is something to remember the guy by why not ask him what his favorite cartridge is and why? That might get you a rifle that will have several "layers" of qualities to remember him by.

+1

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Get the 8x57mm.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
One could do much much worse than a 30-06 as an all around hunting cartridge.

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by GoForBroke

Now that is some pretty good advice there!!! Thank you!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Which a 8x57 quantifies.

Hint............

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Big Stick, I must admit that I have really checked out the 7mm-08, and would not at all be surprised if I own one some day.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd never heard of a 7-08,until this Thread...and might try one myself.(grin)

Hint..............

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Quak,

SORRY but you are DEAD WRONG.

I load shoot/shoot 9.3x62mm for myself. Further .25-06, .375 Whelen & .400 Brown-Whelen Improved are easily made from .30-06 cases & all THREE are BETTER than the 6.5 or even any of the common 7mm cartridges. = The .400B-WI is fully as powerful as the .404 Jeffery for BIG/TOUGH/DANGEROUS game.

That said, neither the .30-06 nor the 8x57 have any flies on them. = In fact the .30-06 loaded with a 250 grain bullet is in the same power range as the .318 Westley-Richards, which is well-regarded in Africa.

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 04/15/19. Reason: typo/clarity

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
What do you define as better? Honestly your pulling obscure cartridges that can be made from the 06 case...im just being realistic.

To Sticks point...he is correct. I made an assumption that the OP had a 260 with a suitable barrel to shoot heavy bullets. If its not the case and won't shoot 140s or 160s than i retract everything i said about the versatility of his 260.

Ill stand by my point though that a 260 with a twist rate capable of stabilizing 140 and 160 gr bullets is suitable for everything that either a 06 or a 8x57 would be.

GOD Bless America
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,584
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.