-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I buy a new gun and cartridge I usually buy a heap of different bullets and see how they shoot. The exception was my Sako 8x57. I bought some 180gn Ballistic Tips and loaded them up for a quick trip out west after pigs. They went so well I loaded up a heap more and never bothered to try any others. I've stacked up on more Ballistic Tips when they are on special. They group well (as a Sako should) and perform excellently on pigs so I just haven't tried anything else so far.

I load 180gn bullets in my .30-06 and between it and the 8x57 I can't see any difference in on game performance between them. The .30-06 would probably be the more logical choice but in a custom rifle the 8x57 just seems more better. And sometimes it's just more fun to throw logic out the window and get something different.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The fact is that for a 30/06 or an 8x57, all you need is one bullet make/model and about 1,000 cases to load 5 times. At the end of that, you'll probably be ready for a new barrel and maybe a new cartridge.

Why bother worrying about how popular a cartridge is?

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would just buy a Howa 30-06, load it up with 150 TTSX's and go shoot critters. Save the build money for glass.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Quak
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Quak
Id also note that within normal hunting ranges...say within 300 yards the 8x57 is very capable...but a 30 cal is better in all regards.

Since "better" is defined by the person making the judgement, what is your definition of "better" in this specific case.

Simple...shoots better bullets faster for the same recoil. Components are easier and cheaper to get...there are options for quality components in the 1st place. Factory ammo can be had...quality factory ammo exits...factory rifles exist. Need more?

You had to know the answers before you asked i assume...

If not for war relics the 8x57 would cease to exist imho. It hasn’t even been common in Africa for the past 50 years in talking with the white Africans I know.

In Europe I seriously doubt if it’s even top 10 anymore

I think that there are at least a few comparable component bullets, I particularly like the 0.323" 200 grain AB.

The data on the Hodgdon site shows comparable velocities with 200 grain bullets, but with a small advantage to the 30-06 with a longer test barrel.

I know that there are many more component bullet options in 0.308" than in 0.323" and that component cases are easier to find in 30-06 than in 8x57, as is factory ammo. There is European-made factory ammo that is equal in quality to any 30-06 ammo that I've seen, but it is unlikely to be found on many dealers shelves.

I suspect that some European firearms manufacturers still chamber the 8x57, Zastava cataloged their Model 70 the last time that I looked.

I have a few rifles chambered in 30-06 and 8x57, some of which I load for, and think that they are pretty close performance wise if all of the variables are close to being equal.

That said, I agree that the 30-06 is an easier and more practical choice for North American.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

A. -- I think that there are at least a few comparable component bullets, I particularly like the 0.323" 200 grain AB.

B.-- I know that there are many more component bullet options in 0.308" than in 0.323" and that component cases are easier to find in 30-06 than in 8x57, as is factory ammo. There is European-made factory ammo that is equal in quality to any 30-06 ammo that I've seen, but it is unlikely to be found on many dealers shelves.

That said, I agree that the 30-06 is an easier and more practical choice for North American.

YEP.

A. I use the Speer 200 'spritzer' in my 8 mm RM. It has virtually the same BC as a Speer, 270 cal, 130 spitzer.
I used it for load development and practice. The Nosler 200 P is so close, the trajectory is virtually the same.

B. I said this in my earlier post on P 7:
" For myself there is NO dilema; the 30-06 (30 cal) has SO MANY options that the 8 mauser can't compete."

That is in reference to bullets sizes and availability as well as brass.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Originally Posted by Elvis
Nothing wrong with a handloaded 8x57. Get a couple of hundred cases and some 180gn Ballistic Tips and you are set.

Shoot, there’s not a deer, pig, moose, or caribou alive that wants to get hit by factory Hornady 195gr interlocks at reasonable ranges. Ping pong balls or not, they mean business.

Same goes a 223.

Hint..............(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Originally Posted by Elvis
Nothing wrong with a handloaded 8x57. Get a couple of hundred cases and some 180gn Ballistic Tips and you are set.

Shoot, there’s not a deer, pig, moose, or caribou alive that wants to get hit by factory Hornady 195gr interlocks at reasonable ranges. Ping pong balls or not, they mean business.

Same goes a 223.

Hint..............(grin)

Haha, no doubt!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your gunsmith is an old timer, are you?

Do you want classic, more modern, or gee whizz plastic and stainless?

Do you have a action, or one in mind?

Look at Simpson's Husqvarna's.

They will have guns in both chamberings. A lot of 8mm that need stocks, or even barrels.

Good place to start a classic custom.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dealinsuck,

Leave it to you...to botch the obvious. Congratulations?!?

Hint....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think it was in the first Nosler reloading manual ( green with a Moose on the cover) a writer suggested loading the 8x57 "like the Germans in WW2 did". He suggested this was done with the 200gr Partition seated out with only .25" bullet in the neck. I forget the powder he suggested, and I wore out that old manual years ago, but I thought his suggestion held merit. Of course, now there are all kinds of great 8mm bullets available. For myself, it would have to be in one of the Mod 700 Classic runs or an Old World Stalking Rifle of some sort.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have that manual still and i'll take a look.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I think it was in the first Nosler reloading manual ( green with a Moose on the cover) a writer suggested loading the 8x57 "like the Germans in WW2 did". He suggested this was done with the 200gr Partition seated out with only .25" bullet in the neck.

Only downside of this with hand loaders is watch the neck tension after the brass is fired a couple of times and DON'T turn the necks! If you can get any movement of the bullet in the case after seating with your fingers, dump that load and brass. (Ask me how I know. OK, I'll tell you wink )

What you don't want to happen is to have one seated out as described and have it in the magazine and have the recoil of the one preceding it drive the bullet deeper and changing your point of impact. Also, it is very inconvenient to extract an unfired round only to have the bullet come losse and the extractor pulls back dumping powder all down your magazine.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't you just love it when you're in the mood to eat steak, but someone keeps telling you that you should order salmon?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Fotis
Don't you just love it when you're in the mood to eat steak, but someone keeps telling you that you should order salmon?

Yup! Lay out some clear parameters, and you wonder if people read what you said!!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Quak,

I just reread your comment & the .375 Whelen OR the .400 Brown-Whelen Improved are NOT "obscure" either AMONG handloaders, cast bullet fans & dedicated BIG-game hunters, who want a POWERFUL rifle for BIG/TOUGH game w/o hauling a BIG/heavy magnum rifle around in the hunting fields. = Those two calibers are VERY EFFICIENT & the most powerful calibers, without going to a BIG/hard-kicking, belted magnum AND that can be easily made from .30-06 brass.
I use ONLY Lake City, once fired, M2 ball cases (that I get from a Garand match-shooter for FREE) for reloading any caliber that can be made from .30-06 cases.
(Chuck Hawks has popularized both calibers, even among many casual hunters.- I will grant your point that you will find neither caliber at Wal-Mart or the local 7-11 store.)

I've about decided that my "hundred buck", garage sale & circa 1992 Model 760, which has a badly pitted bore, will be reformatted by Jessie at JES into the .400 B-WI. = Might as well go "whole hog", since I already have the Remington Model 760 in 9.3x62mm.
(The 400 grain JHP/solid at 2200FPS would "take down" a T Rex, if one was still around.)

Btw, the .400 B-WI doesn't really "kick"; instead it "pushes" against the shoulder & NOT hard either.

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 04/17/19. Reason: addenda

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I think it was in the first Nosler reloading manual ( green with a Moose on the cover) a writer suggested loading the 8x57 "like the Germans in WW2 did". He suggested this was done with the 200gr Partition seated out with only .25" bullet in the neck. I forget the powder he suggested, and I wore out that old manual years ago, but I thought his suggestion held merit. Of course, now there are all kinds of great 8mm bullets available. For myself, it would have to be in one of the Mod 700 Classic runs or an Old World Stalking Rifle of some sort.

Wiley Clapp?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Originally Posted by Fotis

Yup! Lay out some clear parameters, and you wonder if people read what you said!!

I 'suppose' ( not assume ) you know many just jump in the middle of the thread w/o starting at the START. wink
Makes for some ' interesting' comments or discussion.

BTW, I started at the start. smile

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
RE: The original question

Deer/Pig rifle:

A huge variety of chamberings from .223 and up with the proper bullet will kill this size critter efficiently, so pick a chambering you like. Personally the very common chamberings like 30.06, .270, .308 etc. are just boring. Why waste the opportunity to build a memorable project with a friend in a caliber that inspires yawns. The 8x57 you mentioned is just enough out of the mainstream to make it interesting. Unless you intend to hunt something bigger than African Plains game, the 8x57 will make it very dead. I'm sure some new high BC, super high velocity bullet spinning at the speed of light will make things deader, but deader tastes the same as dead.

Gunsmith Friend helping with project:

To me this means it needs to be an old school hunting rifle: Commercial mauser, maybe re-barrel a shot out pre 64 winchester model 70 or a model 54. I'm a fan of the small ring 98 actions and 8x57 fits well in the intermediate length Mexican actions. Again, I wouldn't build it on an action that makes me yawn, like a rem 700, savage, howa etc. Those are wonderful actions from a performance standpoint, but boring from a custom build perspective. There are tons of Commercial mausers out there: FN, Zastava, Husqvarna, etc. that could be the basis for a very cool project rifle.

Reloader:

8x57 is as easy to reload as the 30.06 and there are plenty of bullets that can cover any game. Components are widely available and no more expensive than .30cal.

Already own .260 and .358:

You already have 2 chamberings that will kill anything in NA, so again I would be focusing on the uniqueness of building the project with your friend, rather than making it a quest for the most efficient wiz-bang ballistic wonder of the world. Remember deader tastes the same as dead.

Good luck.

Last edited by weagle; 04/17/19. Reason: spelin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jevyod
.... I wanted to build a rifle ... and have a caliber gap from my 260 rem to a 358 Winchester. ... I have pretty much narrowed it down to the 30-06 or the 8x57. I am leaning towards the ought 6 for several reasons. Availability of components (I reload), better BC... If I want to get into long range paper punching I will use my 260. Is there something I am overlooking here? ... Or is there another 30 caliber that I should be considering? I don't want to get into anything that requires a lot of extra work to make it function.

For me the choice between the two would be falling-off-a-log easy -- .30-06. With bullets from 79g to at least 240g bullets, you wont find a caliber with a wider variety available.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by weagle
RE: The original question

Deer/Pig rifle:

A huge variety of chamberings from .223 and up with the proper bullet will kill this size critter efficiently, so pick a chambering you like. Personally the very common chamberings like 30.06, .270, .308 etc. are just boring. Why waste the opportunity to build a memorable project with a friend in a caliber that inspires yawns. The 8x57 you mentioned is just enough out of the mainstream to make it interesting. Unless you intend to hunt something bigger than African Plains game, the 8x57 will make it very dead. I'm sure some new high BC, super high velocity bullet spinning at the speed of light will make things deader, but deader tastes the same as dead.

Gunsmith Friend helping with project:

To me this means it needs to be an old school hunting rifle: Commercial mauser, maybe re-barrel a shot out pre 64 winchester model 70 or a model 54. I'm a fan of the small ring 98 actions and 8x57 fits well in the intermediate length Mexican actions. Again, I wouldn't build it on an action that makes me yawn, like a rem 700, savage, howa etc. Those are wonderful actions from a performance standpoint, but boring from a custom build perspective. There are tons of Commercial mausers out there: FN, Zastava, Husqvarna, etc. that could be the basis for a very cool project rifle.

Reloader:

8x57 is as easy to reload as the 30.06 and there are plenty of bullets that can cover any game. Components are widely available and no more expensive than .30cal.

Already own .260 and .358:

You already have 2 chamberings that will kill anything in NA, so again I would be focusing on the uniqueness of building the project with your friend, rather than making it a quest for the most efficient wiz-bang ballistic wonder of the world. Remember deader tastes the same as dead.

Good luck.

Thanks for the well thought out response, but you are killing me! I had pretty much decided the 06 but i could almost persuade myself to go 8x57 again! I was looking at Husqvarna actions and was leaning that way. I did ask the gunsmith friend which he prefers and he said 06, but that alone does not need to be the deciding factor.

Last edited by Jevyod; 04/18/19.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,549
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.