Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Why not both? Build a swap barrel rifle. Be the only kid on the block with one, plus it'll earn you the Rifle Loony Gold Card.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
BP-B6

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I remember, it was Al Miller who wrote that intro. "IF" I ever loaded a round out that far ( assuming the throat/magazine are right for it) I would definitely crimp it with a LEE FCD, ha. I am one of those that uses it on a lot of rounds, but I like at least a bullet diameter length in the neck. I feel it helps with run out, etc. Of course, we are talking about a hunting rifle and that intro is around 40 years old, lots of great powders/bullets for the old dawg now. My only experience with the 8x57 was a full dress K98 battle field pick up ( from Russia). It has Nazi markings, etc. I had a taller front sight blade put on it to facilitate zeroing, but kept everything else stock. I found a case of Turkish 8x57 machine gun ammo. Wow! That stuff is not only accurate but really moving out, ha. Corrosive too, of course. I ended up giving it to a young man in my church. I see the Huskies every now and then and they have the drop for irons. I bet those things slap you face pretty good, ha.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jevyod,

You might also look about your local gun shows for a nice/used Husky in 6.5x55mm, 9.3x57mm OR in 9.3x62mm. = Here in TX, there seems to be a GREAT MANY such Northern European sporters out of Sweden, Finland, Norway & Denmark right now at CHEAP prices. - Most of the rifles were Mauser Model 96 based.

One vendor at the last big San Antonio gun show had about 3 DOZEN in various configurations. SOME had double-set triggers & NICE European scopes .for LESS than 300.oo OTD.
(IF I was a right-handed guy, I would have bought a Danish Mauser Model 96 sporter in 9.3x57mm, with a "post & bars" 3X scope, as it was BEAUTIFULLY stocked in what LOOKED like "Birdseye maple" for 250.oo.- I'm far from sure what kind of wood that the stock was made of but it was "just downright purty")

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by MM879
This has been a great thread with the exception of our resident troll.

Don't forget the idiots who feed the troll.....they make him even worse!

Originally Posted by Jevyod
Originally Posted by weagle
RE: The original question

Deer/Pig rifle:

A huge variety of chamberings from .223 and up with the proper bullet will kill this size critter efficiently, so pick a chambering you like. Personally the very common chamberings like 30.06, .270, .308 etc. are just boring. Why waste the opportunity to build a memorable project with a friend in a caliber that inspires yawns. The 8x57 you mentioned is just enough out of the mainstream to make it interesting. Unless you intend to hunt something bigger than African Plains game, the 8x57 will make it very dead. I'm sure some new high BC, super high velocity bullet spinning at the speed of light will make things deader, but deader tastes the same as dead.

Gunsmith Friend helping with project:

To me this means it needs to be an old school hunting rifle: Commercial mauser, maybe re-barrel a shot out pre 64 winchester model 70 or a model 54. I'm a fan of the small ring 98 actions and 8x57 fits well in the intermediate length Mexican actions. Again, I wouldn't build it on an action that makes me yawn, like a rem 700, savage, howa etc. Those are wonderful actions from a performance standpoint, but boring from a custom build perspective. There are tons of Commercial mausers out there: FN, Zastava, Husqvarna, etc. that could be the basis for a very cool project rifle.

Reloader:

8x57 is as easy to reload as the 30.06 and there are plenty of bullets that can cover any game. Components are widely available and no more expensive than .30cal.

Already own .260 and .358:

You already have 2 chamberings that will kill anything in NA, so again I would be focusing on the uniqueness of building the project with your friend, rather than making it a quest for the most efficient wiz-bang ballistic wonder of the world. Remember deader tastes the same as dead.

Good luck.

Thanks for the well thought out response, but you are killing me! I had pretty much decided the 06 but i could almost persuade myself to go 8x57 again! I was looking at Husqvarna actions and was leaning that way. I did ask the gunsmith friend which he prefers and he said 06, but that alone does not need to be the deciding factor.

Good advise to listen to. I share weagle's attachment to small ring 98 actions and own several. I even picked up another Brno 22F in 8X57 back in December that shoots 200 Partitions very nicely indeed!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Originally Posted by Jevyod
I know an older guy, a retired gunsmith. I wanted to build a rifle with him, and he said he would help me do it. I only have a few rifles, and have a caliber gap from my 260 rem to a 358 Winchester. Was thinking something in the 30-8mm range. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the 30-06 or the 8x57. I am leaning towards the ought 6 for several reasons. Availability of components (I reload), better BC (i think), cheaper components...not sure what else. This will be a deer/hog rifle, and i am not a long range shooter. If I want to get into long range paper punching I will use my 260. Is there something I am overlooking here? Is one easier to build than the other? The guy already has the reamers for both chamberings. This project is basically so I have something to remember the guy by. Or is there another 30 caliber that I should be considering? I don't want to get into anything that requires a lot of extra work to make it function.

If you haven’t done so already, sit down with him and see what actions and which caliber he likes the best. If it’s going to be something to remember him by why not make it a gun he likes that way you truly remember him and not something you wanted. Deer and hogs aren’t all that tough so who gives a rip on the cartridge. It should be something you could see him hunting with and something that he would appreciate. Just my nickel, keep the change.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I like hearing about all the old calibers. Every time I head to the range there is a senior shooting their favorite rifle. Many times it is an obscure caliber in rifle that is 40 -50 years old. They love their rifle and the time spent with it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
MM879,

SOME of us OFs are shooting our GRANDFATHER's firearms. = For example, I have a Colt's Police Positive Special, made in 1908, that shoots WELL & that was my grandfather's "truck gun". - Every time that I take it to the range, the "younger generation" wants to look at/shoot it.
(Shortly before I retired from the USA, the post ammo supply point threw away over 50 boxes of 148 grain .38SPL midrange lead WC. = I asked the Post CDR if I could have them & he said, "They're not worth anything, so YES you can." = I have what is likely a lifetime supply of target ammo for the PPS.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 04/19/19. Reason: add

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Stick with the caliber that won the wars. There's nothing an 8mm can do that an '06 can't do better.

Last edited by reivertom; 04/19/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mechanics...RELIABLY trump Semantics and Hormones. Congratulations?!?

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Originally Posted by reivertom
Stick with the caliber that won the wars. There's nothing an 8mm can do that an '06 can't do better.

reivertom,

While I applaud your nationalist fervor, nonetheless the 8x57mm can easily be loaded to equal the .30-06 Springfield, given essentially coequal firearms at all ranges.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing is fhuqking funnier,than DUMB Fhuqks,trying to out-dumbfhuqk one another...by doing their best. Congratulations?!?

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Save time and money. There was a JC Higgins model 50 ( FN Mauser 98) for sale in the classifieds, 30-06. Something like $375, shipped to your FFL without a scope, and ~$425 shipped to FFL with Burris 4x scope.

It doesn't get any better, easier. or lower cost than buying this rifle.

Buy it now.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice plug.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Few things fhuqking funnier...than a Mouser Twat-Six.

Hint...................

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RMiller2
Nice plug.

It is not my rifle, nor do I know who is selling it.

I have two FN -actioned "Mauser 98" JC Higgins model 50 rifles. Great rifles. The one for sale is less than $400, including shipping. Can't beat that deal with a stick.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by buttstock
Originally Posted by RMiller2
Nice plug.

It is not my rifle, nor do I know who is selling it.

I have two FN -actioned "Mauser 98" JC Higgins model 50 rifles. Great rifles. The one for sale is less than $400, including shipping. Can't beat that deal with a stick.

That is a good deal. You couldn’t bear it with a Big Stick.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here it is.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...08/gonew/1/fs-jc-higgins-50-30-06#UNREAD

It will solve the original poster's dilemma.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There's not a dead animal posted anywhere on this forum that couldn't have been killed with that JC Higgins model 50. It could also be a unique project if rebarreled to 8x57.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stupidity...never ain't not fhuqking HILARIOUS.

Hint..................

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Come over to the dark side smile

[Linked Image]

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
310 members (10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 308Palma, 1beaver_shooter, 42 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,725
Posts18,400,614
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.