Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I know an older guy, a retired gunsmith. I wanted to build a rifle with him, and he said he would help me do it. I only have a few rifles, and have a caliber gap from my 260 rem to a 358 Winchester. Was thinking something in the 30-8mm range. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the 30-06 or the 8x57. I am leaning towards the ought 6 for several reasons. Availability of components (I reload), better BC (i think), cheaper components...not sure what else. This will be a deer/hog rifle, and i am not a long range shooter. If I want to get into long range paper punching I will use my 260. Is there something I am overlooking here? Is one easier to build than the other? The guy already has the reamers for both chamberings. This project is basically so I have something to remember the guy by. Or is there another 30 caliber that I should be considering? I don't want to get into anything that requires a lot of extra work to make it function.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't be in a hurry,to make a bad decision. Both chamberings suck ass. Congratulations?!?

What Donor action,as that will dictate opportunity?

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An 8mm has more panache` and there certainly is no shortage of components for either. There is so little mechanical difference between the 2 it is a wash.

Politics is War by Other Means
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I would go with the ‘06 due to availability of components and ammo. If you want 8x57 performance in a .30, go with a .308 Winchester. YMMV

Last edited by WAM; 04/15/19.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tyrone
An 8mm has more panache` and there certainly is no shortage of components for either. There is so little mechanical difference between the 2 it is a wash.

Nothing is fhuqking funnier,than Melting Snowflakes TRYING to "talk" rifles. Congratulations?!?

One could load .308" projectiles backwards and still slap an 8mm silly.

Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WAM
I would go with the ‘06 due to availability of components and ammo. If you want 8x57 performance in a .30, go with a .308 Winchester. YMMV

The Donor will stipulate dot connecting.

Hint................

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There is no practical difference. If you are an American and you don’t have a 30-06, you should get one. On the other hand, you could have plenty of options in 30-06 for less than $500. Neither would be my first choice for building a rifle, but neither is a bad choice for anything.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Nothing is fhuqking funnier,than Melting Snowflakes TRYING to "talk" rifles. Congratulations?!?

But...but...
Originally Posted by Fug Stick
Bullets matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps.

Fug Stick, that's about the smartest thing you ever said, but even you are too stupid to understand it.

All you need for what the OP wants is a 150gr bullet in either diameter.

There isn't much funnier than a rock-shooting troll like you trying to give "advice".

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Not sure yet on the donor action... probably a savage action. I realize I could buy an 06 for cheaper, but like I said, I want to build one with the guy as a remembrance of him.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trybone,

PLEASE find me "mistaken" about anything and I'll simply rub your nose even further into you INCREDIBLE Fhuqking Stupidity. Though in fairness,you do suck a mean ass,undoubtedly due to a lifetime of practice. Congratulations?!?

A 6BR will crush both,with 150's. As stated,the Donor particulars,controls the viability.

Hint.................

IC B3

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
As far as short vs long action I am not stuck on one over the other. Feel free to advise other chamberings that will fill the gap nicely. I am not a fan of stuffing large amounts of powder in a case to increase recoil and marginally increase fps.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Not sure yet on the donor action... probably a savage action. I realize I could buy an 06 for cheaper, but like I said, I want to build one with the guy as a remembrance of him.

With a Salvage,I'd simply go NSS and headspace to a Lot of GOOD brass. I'd be in 1-8" 280 Mode,use Lapooey '06 brass and never trim a case) with 180's and it's as "tricky" as tightening lug nuts. What's to remember about a Goat Fhuqk build,in a poor chambering? Congratulations?!?

Hint................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As far as short vs long action I am not stuck on one over the other. Feel free to advise other chamberings that will fill the gap nicely. I am not a fan of stuffing large amounts of powder in a case to increase recoil and marginally increase fps.

No you are talking,with the short Action muse. Build a 224 Kreedmire,focus 88's and never look back. I'd still go NSS,give James a shout and be shooting same in but a coupla days(he ships FAST).

Hint................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trybone,

PLEASE find me "mistaken" about anything and I'll simply rub your nose even further into you INCREDIBLE Fhuqking Stupidity. Though in fairness,you do suck a mean ass,undoubtedly due to a lifetime of practice. Congratulations?!?
Your man-lust fantasies are getting the best of you, you little homo.

A 6BR will crush both,with 150's.
Nobody cares.
As stated,the Donor particulars,controls the viability.
Ya think? laugh I know, you would not want to let the poor fellow leave 30 thou on the table, would you? laugh

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I wouldn’t call anything on a Savage action a “build”. You literally stick in gauge, screw the barrel to it, then tighten the barrel nut. In a Savage? Just do the 30-06.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sometimes when I am in a quandry as to which direction/choice I want to make, I will say to myself, heads..this, tails..that.

I'll flip the coin. If I'm not satisfied with the coin toss, then I know which direction to take!

One could always do one of each, or make a switch-barrel rifle!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trybone,

Why don't you chase your trail and spin in circles. Ooooopsie!...too fhuqking late. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart for doing your best.

Hint...................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by geedubya
Sometimes when I am in a quandry as to which direction/choice I want to make, I will say to myself, heads..this, tails..that.

I'll flip the coin. If I'm not satisfied with the coin toss, then I know which direction to take!

One could always do one of each, or make a switch-barrel rifle!

ya!

GWB

All Salvages are switch barrels...but nothing is fhuqking funnier than Texans TRYING to "talk" rifles. Congratulations?!?

James has a Shilen S/S Salvage 8" 6BR no-turn on the shelf now,on Sale.

Hint..................

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I wouldn’t call anything on a Savage action a “build”. You literally stick in gauge, screw the barrel to it, then tighten the barrel nut. In a Savage? Just do the 30-06.

Was thinking of buying a blank, ream the chamber etc.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keep the horse in front of the cart.

Hint...............

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Was thinking of buying a blank, ream the chamber etc.

Why? Lots of good Savage barrels in any chambering you want by about any maker you can name. If you just want to spend more money, have at it.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
To the original question...I wouldn't do either personally.

You'd be better off to build a 6.5 or 7mm or some sort. If your donor is a long action id personally go 260 rem with lots of latitude for COAL. If a short action id go 7mm-08 all day and twice on Sunday. You could of course do a 280 Rem on the long action but imho a 260 or a 7mm-08 will shoot circles around anything built off the 06 case.

If your dead set on a 30-06 or a 8x57...get a 30-06. 8mm bullets suck and the gas tank on the 8x57 isn't big enough to push the 196-200 grain bullets fast enough. Id note the 8x57 shooting 200s is a pretty stout recoiling package as well. But again...I would do either one.

Note that a 8x57 and 30-06 are about equal in terms of HUNTING performance. Id take either one anywhere and do anything with them as far as game taking capability goes. But id rather a 7mm

GOD Bless America
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

All Salvages are switch barrels...but nothing is fhuqking funnier than Texans TRYING to "talk" rifles. Congratulations?!?

BTW,

Them that can, do

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I let my rifles do the talkin'.............

Them that can't, troll!

Not much sadder than a fellow with your knowledge and ability, to be reduced to trollin', trollin' trollin'.

ya!

GWB

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Quak
To the original question...I wouldn't do either personally.

You'd be better off to build a 6.5 or 7mm or some sort. If your donor is a long action id personally go 260 rem with lots of latitude for COAL. If a short action id go 7mm-08 all day and twice on Sunday. You could of course do a 280 Rem on the long action but imho a 260 or a 7mm-08 will shoot circles around anything built off the 06 case.

If your dead set on a 30-06 or a 8x57...get a 30-06. 8mm bullets suck and the gas tank on the 8x57 isn't big enough to push the 196-200 grain bullets fast enough. Id note the 8x57 shooting 200s is a pretty stout recoiling package as well. But again...I would do either one.

Note that a 8x57 and 30-06 are about equal in terms of HUNTING performance. Id take either one anywhere and do anything with them as far as game taking capability goes. But id rather a 7mm

Already have a 260. I am looking for something to fill the gap between my 260 and 358 Winchester. I had given the 280 some thought.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dubya',

Pardon simplistic facts,so reliably trouble you so. Congratulations?!?

Only you,can keep you...from saying something fhuqking Stupid and I do enjoy that you've zero refrain. Nothing is fhuqking funnier,than a Texan TRYING to "talk" rifles.

Hint......................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A 8" 7-08 for 180 ELD's,is a literal fhuqking HAMMER. Hint.

Build something FUN to shoot...due the fact,it might even get used a smidge.

Hint..............

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
280 is awesome no doubt. You'd be very happy with a 280...much more so than either the 06 or 8x57 imho.

Id be hesitant however to try to fill any gap the exists between the 260 and 358. There is nothing a 280, 30-06 or 8x57 could do that your 260 couldn't do as well or better. Boring i know...but if it cant be done with a 140gr. 6.5 bullet...a .30 or .32 isnt the answer.

GOD Bless America
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I thought there was a law or something- every firearm owner must own a 30/06. Quickly before they catch on get yourself a classic.
The 30/06 is never a bad choice anyways

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That would depend upon the particulars,of said 260...if only because boolits matter wayyyyyyyyy more than headstamps.

Hint.................

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by geedubya

BTW,

Them that can, do

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I let my rifles do the talkin'.............

Them that can't, troll!

Not much sadder than a fellow with your knowledge and ability, to be reduced to trollin', trollin' trollin'.

ya!

GWB

Nice shooting! The last time I took a turkey was while hunting in Texas. Nice people down there. Nice whitetails too.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I know an older guy, a retired gunsmith. I wanted to build a rifle with him, and he said he would help me do it. I only have a few rifles, and have a caliber gap from my 260 rem to a 358 Winchester. Was thinking something in the 30-8mm range. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the 30-06 or the 8x57. I am leaning towards the ought 6 for several reasons. Availability of components (I reload), better BC (i think), cheaper components...not sure what else. This will be a deer/hog rifle, and i am not a long range shooter. If I want to get into long range paper punching I will use my 260. Is there something I am overlooking here? Is one easier to build than the other? The guy already has the reamers for both chamberings. This project is basically so I have something to remember the guy by. Or is there another 30 caliber that I should be considering? I don't want to get into anything that requires a lot of extra work to make it function.

Since you said the project is something to remember the guy by why not ask him what his favorite cartridge is and why? That might get you a rifle that will have several "layers" of qualities to remember him by.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by GoForBroke

Since you said the project is something to remember the guy by why not ask him what his favorite cartridge is and why? That might get you a rifle that will have several "layers" of qualities to remember him by.

+1

ya!

GWB

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Get the 8x57mm.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
One could do much much worse than a 30-06 as an all around hunting cartridge.

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

Now that is some pretty good advice there!!! Thank you!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Which a 8x57 quantifies.

Hint............

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Big Stick, I must admit that I have really checked out the 7mm-08, and would not at all be surprised if I own one some day.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd never heard of a 7-08,until this Thread...and might try one myself.(grin)

Hint..............

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Quak,

SORRY but you are DEAD WRONG.

I load shoot/shoot 9.3x62mm for myself. Further .25-06, .375 Whelen & .400 Brown-Whelen Improved are easily made from .30-06 cases & all THREE are BETTER than the 6.5 or even any of the common 7mm cartridges. = The .400B-WI is fully as powerful as the .404 Jeffery for BIG/TOUGH/DANGEROUS game.

That said, neither the .30-06 nor the 8x57 have any flies on them. = In fact the .30-06 loaded with a 250 grain bullet is in the same power range as the .318 Westley-Richards, which is well-regarded in Africa.

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 04/15/19. Reason: typo/clarity

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
What do you define as better? Honestly your pulling obscure cartridges that can be made from the 06 case...im just being realistic.

To Sticks point...he is correct. I made an assumption that the OP had a 260 with a suitable barrel to shoot heavy bullets. If its not the case and won't shoot 140s or 160s than i retract everything i said about the versatility of his 260.

Ill stand by my point though that a 260 with a twist rate capable of stabilizing 140 and 160 gr bullets is suitable for everything that either a 06 or a 8x57 would be.

GOD Bless America
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'247,

You are a DELUSIONAL Day Dreaming Dumbfhuqk. Congratulations?!?

NOTHING is fhuqking funnier,than a Texan TRYING to "talk" rifles!

Hint...............

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by satx78247
Quak,

SORRY but you are DEAD WRONG.

I load shoot 9.3x62mm for myself. Further .375 Whelen & .400 Brown-Whelen Improved are easily made from .30-06 cases & all THREE are BETTER than the 6.5 or even the 7mm. = The .400B-WI is fully as powerful as the .404 Jeffery for BIG/TOUGH/DANGEROUS game.

That said, neither the .30-06 nor the 8x57 have any flies on them. = In fact the .30-06 loaded with a 250 grain bullet is in the same power range as the .318 Westley-Richards, which is well-regarded in Africa.

yours, tex

The 9.3x62mm was liked by Chub Eastman. I loaded for it 13 years ago. It's a heck of a round.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

You're welcome. I hope it works out for you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Hint...................

There were (are) several thousand WWI and WWII veterans who, having been on the wrong end of an 8x57, disagree with your ballistic opinion.

HINT, HINT, SLAP!

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Choices" are easy...when there are none. Congratulations?!?

I cited Facts and I enjoy that same so reliably upsets you so.

You Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqks are a hoot!

Hint...............

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I dont think the fact that the germans killed people with a 8x57 does anything to disprove with Stick said if we are being honest.

There is a distinct lack of great 8mm bullets on the market. This is the achilles heel of the 8mm rm and the 325 wsm. To get a decent BC or SD you also need to get north of 196gr and a the 8x57 doesn't have the capacity to push those very hard.

There is a boat load of match grade excellent .30 bullets on the market. I wont speak for the man but i think thats what he was trying to convey.

GOD Bless America
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Id also note that within normal hunting ranges...say within 300 yards the 8x57 is very capable...but a 30 cal is better in all regards.

GOD Bless America
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
So,how many animal have you killed with a .30/06 and 8x57 to come to that conclusion.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Perhaps she can cite "all" of the words that were "too big" or "too Technical".

LAUGHING!

Hint...................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Elkchunt,

I've killed piles of schit with both. Whack 'em and stack 'em with a Hakim...was more than a bunch funny! Google as you must. Congratulations?!?

Pardon my shooting it all and then some.

Hint..............

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The German 196 grain military loading was superior at range to the 30-06 150. But since we aren’t trying to volley fire machine guns at 2000 yards these days, it probably doesn’t matter too much.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Elkchunt,

I've killed piles of schit with both. Whack 'em and stack 'em with a Hakim...was more than a bunch funny! Google as you must. Congratulations?!?

Hint..............

Excuse me that I don't believe a word you wrote.

Why should I google,post up all those critters you killed with the '06 and 8x57. Not the same pics you have been posting here for the last 3 months.

Last edited by elkhunternm; 04/15/19.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Ive killed several whitetail with both...both worked great! My father has used the 8x57 to take Red Stag in Germany, Russian Boar in Turkey, and couple deer here in the U.S. as well. Worked great there too.

The 8x57 was the first cartridge i ever reloaded for. Probably a more common story than many realize...i inherited a sporterized WW2 bring back and couldn't get full power ammo at sporting goods stores, when i could find ammo at all. The Remington green box stuff at the time was loaded to 30-30 velocity.

I started rolling my own...then got a chronograph...etc etc. The rest is history lol. I even had a couple of the Remington classics in that caliber when they were blowing them out due to poor sales. Nice guns but they never shot particularly well.

Its a great round and one of the classics. Im not a fan of 8mm bullets though as they really dont make a lot of great ones. The 150s have pretty crummy specs, the 200s have nasty recoil and the ole war horse struggles to get them over 2500 fps in my experience. Nosler data makes some outrageous claim of like 2700fps IIRC but they must of been on drugs that day because it cant be done in my experience.

While it can certainly hold its own in the game fields and has since 1888...id never chose one for the above reasons.

The 06 is THE world standard...along with the 308. Nothing else needs to be said there.

Last edited by Quak; 04/15/19.

GOD Bless America
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Quak,you're right on the recoil from an old Mauser 98,but the OP is building a rifle. So,in that case he can use a recoil pad of his choice and have the stock made to his dimensions. A 8mm 200 grain bullet speeding along at 2500 fps will kill any deer or hog he hits properly.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I decided not to replace my 338 Win Magnum. Instead I put a NOS 8mm 8x57 barrel on an old Mauser and a scope on it. Under 400m it will do most of what a 338WM will do on game not the paper trap people seem to love to play with today! You can load anything from 150gr bullets to 200gr bullets and you have cheap brass and plenty of bullets. I like to shoot 180-200 grain bullets. You get crazy long barrel life as well!

I also own a 30-06, 308 Win and 300WM. Again ignoring the paper race or paper trap and only looking on real world performance the 30-06 is a great cartridge and you can load anything from 110gr. to 230gr. I prefer 165gr. to about 220gr. bullets. A 165gr bullet and 220gr. bullet will allow you hunt anything in N. America. The old school 220gr. round noise is easily as deadly as a 338WM at typical hunting distances.

You can not go wrong with either really. Both of them will give good barrel life, great performance on anything large in N. America and S. America, more accuracy with reloading than any hunter will ever need. Brass is cheaper for the 8x57 and it is not normally sold out.

I would suggest that anyone that thinks the the 8x57 or 30-06 "sucks" has next to no experience hunting with them for decades or they are the sort that puts more emphasis on numbers on paper than meat in the freezer. I am guessing they would tell you that you can hunt Elk at 1500m with a 6.5CM! LOL That and the 6.5PRC is the ultimate hunting cartridge for N. America! LOL.....

Both provide a lot of lethality in a package that uses very little powder compared to how deadly they are!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I own and shoot both, and I reload both.

While I have great respect for 8X57, I'd say the 30-06 has an edge in bullet offerings. My K98, is one of my most accurate deer rifles, but it took several tries with bullets to get it shooting MOA with 175 grain RN's. For the 30-06, I normally stick with 150-165 grains. Both chamberings can drop whitetails in their tracks at 150+ yards.

For me, the determination would be bullet weight. If I was going to use the rifle with 180+ grains all the time, I'd go with the 8mm. If I was going to stay under 180 grains, I'd go with the 30-06. My preference is for the latter whenever possible on deer sized game.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never shot anything beyond 100yds with my 8x57, but factory Hornady 195gr Interlocks chugging along at a pedestrian 2400-2500 fps killed everything I shot at with it in quick fashion.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Good article on 30-06 and why it is a great hunting cartridge. Last I checked it is also in the top 10 reloading component sales for many decades. 113 years after it's adoption it is still rolling along strong in spite of all the super magnums and short magnums available. You can do a super light weight 30-06 with or with out a muzzle break and not be punished in a hunting rifle not a bench rest queen. If you put a 300WM or better in a 7lbs. rifle few hunters will want to hunt with it! If you add an effective muzzle break the 30-06 becomes a dream hunting rifle in no time! https://www.outdoorlife.com/30-06-springfield-best-cartridge-big-game-hunting#page-8 You can find 30-06 ammo at gas stations, retail stores and sporting goods stores or gunsmiths all around the world! Just about every company that builds center fire bolt action rifles have chambered rifles for 30-06 and still do!

If you look at MPB range the 300WM only get's 20-40 feet more on MPB range compared to 30-06 and it has to burn a lot of powder to do it. So if your looking to punch paper or kill humans in war the 300WM has a lot of advantages over the 30-06 or 8x57 Mauser. If you want to kill Elk, Deer, Wild Boars, Moose, Caribu, Pronghorn not more than 600m away the magnums do not offer much in terms of pro's but have a lot of con's. Each hundred meters you reduce your range the less relevant magnums and VLD bullets become.

The above said both the 30-06 and 8x57 Mauser are over kill for deer hunting but that is not a big deal.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
30-06 is never a wrong answer for a hunting rifle for lots of reasons. 8mm ammo isn't as available.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Just scratch both itches man.
[Linked Image]

1st shot fouler with copper cleaned barrel with the 21 dollar a box PPU ammo with the zero from hornady vintage match ammo shot 2 weeks prior.
Made adjustments....
Shot on 3 power @ 100 yds, reticle pretty much covering the entire bull.
Verticle displacement on me....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by renegade50; 04/15/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Id also note that within normal hunting ranges...say within 300 yards the 8x57 is very capable...but a 30 cal is better in all regards.

Since "better" is defined by the person making the judgement, what is your definition of "better" in this specific case.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
elkchunt,

Your IQ has less than ZERO bearing on Reality. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Hint..................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JohnLittleTree
I decided not to replace my 338 Win Magnum. Instead I put a NOS 8mm 8x57 barrel on an old Mauser and a scope on it. Under 400m it will do most of what a 338WM will do on game not the paper trap people seem to love to play with today! You can load anything from 150gr bullets to 200gr bullets and you have cheap brass and plenty of bullets. I like to shoot 180-200 grain bullets. You get crazy long barrel life as well!

I also own a 30-06, 308 Win and 300WM. Again ignoring the paper race or paper trap and only looking on real world performance the 30-06 is a great cartridge and you can load anything from 110gr. to 230gr. I prefer 165gr. to about 220gr. bullets. A 165gr bullet and 220gr. bullet will allow you hunt anything in N. America. The old school 220gr. round noise is easily as deadly as a 338WM at typical hunting distances.

You can not go wrong with either really. Both of them will give good barrel life, great performance on anything large in N. America and S. America, more accuracy with reloading than any hunter will ever need. Brass is cheaper for the 8x57 and it is not normally sold out.

I would suggest that anyone that thinks the the 8x57 or 30-06 "sucks" has next to no experience hunting with them for decades or they are the sort that puts more emphasis on numbers on paper than meat in the freezer. I am guessing they would tell you that you can hunt Elk at 1500m with a 6.5CM! LOL That and the 6.5PRC is the ultimate hunting cartridge for N. America! LOL.....

Both provide a lot of lethality in a package that uses very little powder compared to how deadly they are!

TinyTree,

Of course you are fhuqking guess...mainly because it's all that you can "do". Congratulations?!?

You Clueless Fhuqks are a hoot!

Hint................

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
GoForBroke,

The old-school 9.3x62mm is THE rifle that I reflexively reach for IF the game is bigger/tougher than a WT deer. = 'Ole Otto Koch "KNEW what he was about" when he designed the cartridge for RED DEER & WILD BOAR. - Since then, it has become, in the eyes of many a PH, the cartridge for DANGEROUS GAME, that won't "kick your shoulder off AND that is EFFICIENT as A KILLER on every creature up to & including Cape Buffalo, Gaur, rhino, tiger, leopard, lion & elephant.

My usual load is a 286 grain JSP or solid at about 2300FPS.
(I can tell little/no difference in the "kick" of my 9.3x62mm when compared to the .30-06 with 180 grain bullet in identical rifles.- I have a Remington Model 760 in both calibers.)

My 760 in 9.3x62mm is the rifle that will go to southern Africa next year to take a Cape Buff & (hopefully) a leopard.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Quak,

There is nothing "obscure" about the .25-06 and/or the 9.3x62mm. = BOTH are better killers than the cartridges that you mention out to beyond 250M and even the .30-06 is at least as suitable as a KILLER on game up to the BIGGEST/toughest game, when compared to the calibers that you mentioned.
(During WWII, a Kenya Game Ranger, shooting game "on control"/culling the herds for feeding German/Italian POWs, killed NUMEROUS Cape Buff & elephant with a US Rifle, Model of 1917 in .30-06 chambering out to over 100M.)

PH Robert Huey Moses used the 9.3x62 Mauser with great success on EVERY species of game in Africa for over 4 decades. - It was his FAVORITE caliber in a Model 98 Mauser, which was remodeled into a "sporter".

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 04/15/19. Reason: grammar

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Quak,

There is nothing "obscure" about the .25-06 and/or the 9.3x62mm. = BOTH are better killers than the cartridges that you mention out to beyond 250M and even the .30-06 is at least as suitable as a KILLER on game up to the BIGGEST/toughest game, when compared to the calibers that you mentioned.
(During WWII, a Kenya Game Ranger, shooting game "on control"/culling the herds for feeding German/Italian POWs, killed NUMEROUS Cape Buff & elephant with a US Rifle, Model of 1917 in .30-06 chambering out to over 100M.)

PH Robert Huey Moses used the 9.3x62 Mauser with great success on EVERY species of game in Africa for over 4 decades. - It was his FAVORITE caliber in a Model 98 Mauser, which was remodeled into a "sporter".

yours, tex

'247,

You DELUSIONAL Dumbfhuqkery,is simply fhuqking HILARIOUS! Congratulations?!?

Nothing is fhuqking funnier,than a Texan TRYING to "talk" rifles,with her GoogleFu.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
BigStick,

Actually nothing is funnier or more disgusting than a "know it all", who sincerely believes the NONSENSE that he spews does anything but make KNOWLEDGEABLE people laugh AT his ignorance/brainlessness. = This means DIM-wits who believe that where a person lives has anything whatever to do with his/her experience/knowledge.
(There are smart Texans & stupid ones, just as there are DUMB, arrogant & SELF-important AK folks.)

Speaking of "experience", the more IGNORANT & BIGOTED the speaker, the more likely that the person uses filthy/obscene//vulgar language, to cover-up for their lack of vocabulary/education. = This means YOU, "DUMB-bunny".

Fyi, over my nearly 3 decades (& much of it being stationed OCONUS) with the USA, I'd bet that I've hunted/taken more sorts of game than you have or ever will.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'247,

No need to elaborate upon how you are such an AMAZINGLY slow "learner"...as it is wellllllll beyond obvious. Congratulations?!?

Nothing is fhuqking funnier,than a Texan TRYING to "talk" rifles,with her GoogleFu.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I've read ALL of this thread so far. These quotes are on P 4.
I've squelched out all the 'static' and bs from bs (per normal).

1. I'd agree with your wishes to do a rifle to remember someone -- whatever that'd be.

2. If you want a 8X57 by all means get one, sincerely. I have a 300 WM, because I want one.

3. For myself there is NO dilema; the 30-06 (30 cal) has SO MANY options that the 8 mauser can't compete.

You only have to please yourself. Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwall

I've read ALL of this thread so far. These quotes are on P 4.
I've squelched out all the 'static' and bs from bs (per normal).

1. I'd agree with your wishes to do a rifle to remember someone -- whatever that'd be.

2. If you want a 8X57 by all means get one, sincerely. I have a 300 WM, because I want one.

3. For myself there is NO dilema; the 30-06 (30 cal) has SO MANY options that the 8 mauser can't compete.

You only have to please yourself. Good Luck

Jerry

'wall,

Of COURSE you read my every word. Congratulations?!?

1) Emotions ain't mechanics. Hint

2) Stupid is never smart. Hint

3) "Dilemma" has (2) M's...and you certainly are in no position to "compete". Hint

You'd do well to take notes and apply same.

Hint..................

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
jwall,

As loaded in Europe, the old-school 8x57mm is as powerful as the .30-06 & is quite popular with "commercial market hunters" for moose, caribou & reindeer.
(Btw, the "wildcat" & once popular after WWII, "8mm-06" could be safely loaded to out-class either "parent" cartridge.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
BigStick,

Speaking of "slow learners", you write as if 3rd grade was your best 5 years of "gubmint apruvd publick screwl ".

Laughing AT you, DIM-wit.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BigStick,

Speaking of "slow learners", you write as if 3rd grade was your best 5 years of "gubmint apruvd publick screwl ".

Laughing AT you, DIM-wit.

yours, tex

'247,

Be SURE to cite all of the words which are "too big" or "too Technical" for you to follow. Congratulations?!?

You Drooling DUMB Fhuqks are a hoot!

Hint.................

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I'm really curious as to what the smith might say. Lot's of cartridges from the good old days pushed aside only to be replaced with the improved cartridges, yet same ballistic results.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm really curious as to what the smith might say. Lot's of cartridges from the good old days pushed aside only to be replaced with the improved cartridges, yet same ballistic results.

Cite ONE.

Hint..............

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Post up the pics.
elkchunt,

Your IQ has less than ZERO bearing on Reality. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Hint..................

I knew you would not post up pics.

What a surprise.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
elkhunternm,

Me thinks that "DUH stick" is 100% TROLL. = I'm done with his ignorant/vulgar foolishness.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
He is 100% troll.

For me,it is fun teasing the little ankle biter.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Droolers are a HOOT! Congratulations?!?

Hint..............

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Whatever ankle biter.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You Droolers are a HOOT! Congratulations?!?

Hint..............

Your a fat pussy. Hint.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fredrica,

Pardon my horning you up,yet again. Congratulations?!?

Perhaps steal another of my pictures,for "your" album...to help satiate your very WELL founded Insecurities.

As an aside,"your" is a VERY big word for you.

LAUGHING!

Hint.................

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13733373/16

Sugartits I just made an offer. You’re far to much of a fat fûck to back any of your bullshît up. It’s telling.
Oh and I’m not in the slightest “horned” up just think it would be fun to kick your fat azz. Here’s to you trying to save face and skate backwards at the same time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fredrica,

Might I suggest that you follow my EVERY word,swipe all of my Splend Pixels and then "convince" yourself that you "don't care". Congratulations?!?

LAUGHING!

Hint....................

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Fredrica,

Might I suggest that you follow my EVERY word,swipe all of my Splend Pixels and then "convince" yourself that you "don't care". Congratulations?!?

LAUGHING!

Hint....................

Pussy

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This has been a great thread with the exception of our resident troll. My vote would be for the 30-06. I have a Mauser 98 custom that doesn't do anything particularly great. It will throw a 150 into 3/4 circle at 100yds. This is good enough for my needs. The 30-06 covers any base that you want, light or heavy. I've been experimenting with the 125's and they shoot fine. I'm looking into a hunting round at this weight because it is just a joy to shoot. The ironic thing about my Mauser 98 is that it probably started out life as 8 x 57.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Another thread that has moved off the beaten path. No need to really build a 30-06. You can find several brands on any gun rack and website. No need to worry or listen to the nonsense, the 30-06 works at close range, in the mountains and in the bean fields. It can easily put down 95+% of all game wandering the planet. With today’s superior bullets, excellent powders and even over-the-counter ammunition you can fine tune to any field need you have.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Another thread that has moved off the beaten path. No need to really build a 30-06. You can find several brands on any gun rack and website. No need to worry or listen to the nonsense, the 30-06 works at close range, in the mountains and in the bean fields. It can easily put down 95+% of all game wandering the planet. With today’s superior bullets, excellent powders and even over-the-counter ammunition you can fine tune to any field need you have.

8x57 is really cool.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Got nothing against it, but all 8mm use in the USA has been limited and not particularly popular, i.e., 8mm Rem Mag, 325 WSM and 8mm Mauser. I think some of the problem is they are caught between the .30 and the .33s and offer nothing over either.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Since "better" is defined by the person making the judgement, what is your definition of "better" in this specific case.

Simple...shoots better bullets faster for the same recoil. Components are easier and cheaper to get...there are options for quality components in the 1st place. Factory ammo can be had...quality factory ammo exits...factory rifles exist. Need more?

You had to know the answers before you asked i assume...

If not for war relics the 8x57 would cease to exist imho. It hasn’t even been common in Africa for the past 50 years in talking with the white Africans I know.

In Europe I seriously doubt if it’s even top 10 anymore

Last edited by Quak; 04/15/19.

GOD Bless America
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Rossimp,

IF I find another .270WCF or .30-06 rifle with a Mauser action & "problem barrel", it might get reformatted as a 8mm-06, AKA 7.93x63mm in Europe. = That is a POWERFUL & EFFICIENT caliber for most anything in the Americas/Europe, when loaded with 200-250 grain RN JSP or the 250 grain GCCB at 2000-2400FPS.= A spectacular MOOSE or BEAR KILLER out beyond 200M - DEEP penetration on game to 600KG plus is its forte.
(My Uncle Josh had his "brought home from the war" Mauser rechambered about 1947 & killed TONS of game of all sorts with it.)

just my OPINIONS, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
7.92x57 is still a military cartridge in Yugoslavia and a few other places.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Quak,

yours, tex

I never said they were bad...quite the contrary. But you mentioned 4 cartridges iirc. Now your bringing up 2. Sure the 25-06 isn’t obscure but the 9.3x62 sure as hell is. I agree it’s awesome but common it’s not. If not for a random cz or a special run Ruger who makes them? Maybe a Sako every blue moon for sale in Lichtenstein?

GOD Bless America
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q

Maybe in their wwii vintage machine guns.

GOD Bless America
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Maybe in their wwii vintage machine guns.

Nope, they still manufacture the M-76 sniper rifle in it and the M-53 Sarac machine gun which is a virtual copy of the MG-42.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing wrong with a handloaded 8x57. Get a couple of hundred cases and some 180gn Ballistic Tips and you are set.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That’s fine, like I said nothing wrong with an 8mm, they are somewhat limited in bullet selection. I would say a 338-06 would prove to be a better 06 derivative having a huge selection of .33 projectiles.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Quak,

Among my "fellows" here in South TX who hunt BIG game, the 9.3x62mm is becoming a commonplace sighting at gun-shows, shooting ranges & in the hunting fields.
(It's so expensive to get a decent deer lease here in TX that AK, Canada, Eastern Europe & Africa LOOK really inviting.)

I have one & soon will likely have another one, IF it doesn't go to Jessie to be reborn as a .375 Whelen or a .400 B-WI.
(I have a Model 760 with a pitted barrel that I paid 100 bucks for & that won't shoot ANY BULLET decently. - The PO evidently shot a lot of corrosive service ammo in it & W/O cleaning it well.)

Btw, I really don't NEED a BIG-bore like the .375 or .400; I just WANT one..

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 04/15/19. Reason: add

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Elvis
Nothing wrong with a handloaded 8x57. Get a couple of hundred cases and some 180gn Ballistic Tips and you are set.

Shoot, there’s not a deer, pig, moose, or caribou alive that wants to get hit by factory Hornady 195gr interlocks at reasonable ranges. Ping pong balls or not, they mean business.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I buy a new gun and cartridge I usually buy a heap of different bullets and see how they shoot. The exception was my Sako 8x57. I bought some 180gn Ballistic Tips and loaded them up for a quick trip out west after pigs. They went so well I loaded up a heap more and never bothered to try any others. I've stacked up on more Ballistic Tips when they are on special. They group well (as a Sako should) and perform excellently on pigs so I just haven't tried anything else so far.

I load 180gn bullets in my .30-06 and between it and the 8x57 I can't see any difference in on game performance between them. The .30-06 would probably be the more logical choice but in a custom rifle the 8x57 just seems more better. And sometimes it's just more fun to throw logic out the window and get something different.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The fact is that for a 30/06 or an 8x57, all you need is one bullet make/model and about 1,000 cases to load 5 times. At the end of that, you'll probably be ready for a new barrel and maybe a new cartridge.

Why bother worrying about how popular a cartridge is?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would just buy a Howa 30-06, load it up with 150 TTSX's and go shoot critters. Save the build money for glass.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Simple...shoots better bullets faster for the same recoil. Components are easier and cheaper to get...there are options for quality components in the 1st place. Factory ammo can be had...quality factory ammo exits...factory rifles exist. Need more?

You had to know the answers before you asked i assume...

If not for war relics the 8x57 would cease to exist imho. It hasn’t even been common in Africa for the past 50 years in talking with the white Africans I know.

In Europe I seriously doubt if it’s even top 10 anymore

I think that there are at least a few comparable component bullets, I particularly like the 0.323" 200 grain AB.

The data on the Hodgdon site shows comparable velocities with 200 grain bullets, but with a small advantage to the 30-06 with a longer test barrel.

I know that there are many more component bullet options in 0.308" than in 0.323" and that component cases are easier to find in 30-06 than in 8x57, as is factory ammo. There is European-made factory ammo that is equal in quality to any 30-06 ammo that I've seen, but it is unlikely to be found on many dealers shelves.

I suspect that some European firearms manufacturers still chamber the 8x57, Zastava cataloged their Model 70 the last time that I looked.

I have a few rifles chambered in 30-06 and 8x57, some of which I load for, and think that they are pretty close performance wise if all of the variables are close to being equal.

That said, I agree that the 30-06 is an easier and more practical choice for North American.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

A. -- I think that there are at least a few comparable component bullets, I particularly like the 0.323" 200 grain AB.

B.-- I know that there are many more component bullet options in 0.308" than in 0.323" and that component cases are easier to find in 30-06 than in 8x57, as is factory ammo. There is European-made factory ammo that is equal in quality to any 30-06 ammo that I've seen, but it is unlikely to be found on many dealers shelves.

That said, I agree that the 30-06 is an easier and more practical choice for North American.

YEP.

A. I use the Speer 200 'spritzer' in my 8 mm RM. It has virtually the same BC as a Speer, 270 cal, 130 spitzer.
I used it for load development and practice. The Nosler 200 P is so close, the trajectory is virtually the same.

B. I said this in my earlier post on P 7:
" For myself there is NO dilema; the 30-06 (30 cal) has SO MANY options that the 8 mauser can't compete."

That is in reference to bullets sizes and availability as well as brass.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

Shoot, there’s not a deer, pig, moose, or caribou alive that wants to get hit by factory Hornady 195gr interlocks at reasonable ranges. Ping pong balls or not, they mean business.

Same goes a 223.

Hint..............(grin)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

Same goes a 223.

Hint..............(grin)

Haha, no doubt!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your gunsmith is an old timer, are you?

Do you want classic, more modern, or gee whizz plastic and stainless?

Do you have a action, or one in mind?

Look at Simpson's Husqvarna's.

They will have guns in both chamberings. A lot of 8mm that need stocks, or even barrels.

Good place to start a classic custom.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dealinsuck,

Leave it to you...to botch the obvious. Congratulations?!?

Hint....................

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think it was in the first Nosler reloading manual ( green with a Moose on the cover) a writer suggested loading the 8x57 "like the Germans in WW2 did". He suggested this was done with the 200gr Partition seated out with only .25" bullet in the neck. I forget the powder he suggested, and I wore out that old manual years ago, but I thought his suggestion held merit. Of course, now there are all kinds of great 8mm bullets available. For myself, it would have to be in one of the Mod 700 Classic runs or an Old World Stalking Rifle of some sort.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have that manual still and i'll take a look.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I think it was in the first Nosler reloading manual ( green with a Moose on the cover) a writer suggested loading the 8x57 "like the Germans in WW2 did". He suggested this was done with the 200gr Partition seated out with only .25" bullet in the neck.

Only downside of this with hand loaders is watch the neck tension after the brass is fired a couple of times and DON'T turn the necks! If you can get any movement of the bullet in the case after seating with your fingers, dump that load and brass. (Ask me how I know. OK, I'll tell you wink )

What you don't want to happen is to have one seated out as described and have it in the magazine and have the recoil of the one preceding it drive the bullet deeper and changing your point of impact. Also, it is very inconvenient to extract an unfired round only to have the bullet come losse and the extractor pulls back dumping powder all down your magazine.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't you just love it when you're in the mood to eat steak, but someone keeps telling you that you should order salmon?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Fotis
Don't you just love it when you're in the mood to eat steak, but someone keeps telling you that you should order salmon?

Yup! Lay out some clear parameters, and you wonder if people read what you said!!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Quak,

I just reread your comment & the .375 Whelen OR the .400 Brown-Whelen Improved are NOT "obscure" either AMONG handloaders, cast bullet fans & dedicated BIG-game hunters, who want a POWERFUL rifle for BIG/TOUGH game w/o hauling a BIG/heavy magnum rifle around in the hunting fields. = Those two calibers are VERY EFFICIENT & the most powerful calibers, without going to a BIG/hard-kicking, belted magnum AND that can be easily made from .30-06 brass.
I use ONLY Lake City, once fired, M2 ball cases (that I get from a Garand match-shooter for FREE) for reloading any caliber that can be made from .30-06 cases.
(Chuck Hawks has popularized both calibers, even among many casual hunters.- I will grant your point that you will find neither caliber at Wal-Mart or the local 7-11 store.)

I've about decided that my "hundred buck", garage sale & circa 1992 Model 760, which has a badly pitted bore, will be reformatted by Jessie at JES into the .400 B-WI. = Might as well go "whole hog", since I already have the Remington Model 760 in 9.3x62mm.
(The 400 grain JHP/solid at 2200FPS would "take down" a T Rex, if one was still around.)

Btw, the .400 B-WI doesn't really "kick"; instead it "pushes" against the shoulder & NOT hard either.

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 04/17/19. Reason: addenda

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I think it was in the first Nosler reloading manual ( green with a Moose on the cover) a writer suggested loading the 8x57 "like the Germans in WW2 did". He suggested this was done with the 200gr Partition seated out with only .25" bullet in the neck. I forget the powder he suggested, and I wore out that old manual years ago, but I thought his suggestion held merit. Of course, now there are all kinds of great 8mm bullets available. For myself, it would have to be in one of the Mod 700 Classic runs or an Old World Stalking Rifle of some sort.

Wiley Clapp?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Fotis

Yup! Lay out some clear parameters, and you wonder if people read what you said!!

I 'suppose' ( not assume ) you know many just jump in the middle of the thread w/o starting at the START. wink
Makes for some ' interesting' comments or discussion.

BTW, I started at the start. smile

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
RE: The original question

Deer/Pig rifle:

A huge variety of chamberings from .223 and up with the proper bullet will kill this size critter efficiently, so pick a chambering you like. Personally the very common chamberings like 30.06, .270, .308 etc. are just boring. Why waste the opportunity to build a memorable project with a friend in a caliber that inspires yawns. The 8x57 you mentioned is just enough out of the mainstream to make it interesting. Unless you intend to hunt something bigger than African Plains game, the 8x57 will make it very dead. I'm sure some new high BC, super high velocity bullet spinning at the speed of light will make things deader, but deader tastes the same as dead.

Gunsmith Friend helping with project:

To me this means it needs to be an old school hunting rifle: Commercial mauser, maybe re-barrel a shot out pre 64 winchester model 70 or a model 54. I'm a fan of the small ring 98 actions and 8x57 fits well in the intermediate length Mexican actions. Again, I wouldn't build it on an action that makes me yawn, like a rem 700, savage, howa etc. Those are wonderful actions from a performance standpoint, but boring from a custom build perspective. There are tons of Commercial mausers out there: FN, Zastava, Husqvarna, etc. that could be the basis for a very cool project rifle.

Reloader:

8x57 is as easy to reload as the 30.06 and there are plenty of bullets that can cover any game. Components are widely available and no more expensive than .30cal.

Already own .260 and .358:

You already have 2 chamberings that will kill anything in NA, so again I would be focusing on the uniqueness of building the project with your friend, rather than making it a quest for the most efficient wiz-bang ballistic wonder of the world. Remember deader tastes the same as dead.

Good luck.

Last edited by weagle; 04/17/19. Reason: spelin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.... I wanted to build a rifle ... and have a caliber gap from my 260 rem to a 358 Winchester. ... I have pretty much narrowed it down to the 30-06 or the 8x57. I am leaning towards the ought 6 for several reasons. Availability of components (I reload), better BC... If I want to get into long range paper punching I will use my 260. Is there something I am overlooking here? ... Or is there another 30 caliber that I should be considering? I don't want to get into anything that requires a lot of extra work to make it function.

For me the choice between the two would be falling-off-a-log easy -- .30-06. With bullets from 79g to at least 240g bullets, you wont find a caliber with a wider variety available.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by weagle

Deer/Pig rifle:

A huge variety of chamberings from .223 and up with the proper bullet will kill this size critter efficiently, so pick a chambering you like. Personally the very common chamberings like 30.06, .270, .308 etc. are just boring. Why waste the opportunity to build a memorable project with a friend in a caliber that inspires yawns. The 8x57 you mentioned is just enough out of the mainstream to make it interesting. Unless you intend to hunt something bigger than African Plains game, the 8x57 will make it very dead. I'm sure some new high BC, super high velocity bullet spinning at the speed of light will make things deader, but deader tastes the same as dead.

To me this means it needs to be an old school hunting rifle: Commercial mauser, maybe re-barrel a shot out pre 64 winchester model 70 or a model 54. I'm a fan of the small ring 98 actions and 8x57 fits well in the intermediate length Mexican actions. Again, I wouldn't build it on an action that makes me yawn, like a rem 700, savage, howa etc. Those are wonderful actions from a performance standpoint, but boring from a custom build perspective. There are tons of Commercial mausers out there: FN, Zastava, Husqvarna, etc. that could be the basis for a very cool project rifle.

Reloader:

8x57 is as easy to reload as the 30.06 and there are plenty of bullets that can cover any game. Components are widely available and no more expensive than .30cal.

You already have 2 chamberings that will kill anything in NA, so again I would be focusing on the uniqueness of building the project with your friend, rather than making it a quest for the most efficient wiz-bang ballistic wonder of the world. Remember deader tastes the same as dead.

Good luck.

Thanks for the well thought out response, but you are killing me! I had pretty much decided the 06 but i could almost persuade myself to go 8x57 again! I was looking at Husqvarna actions and was leaning that way. I did ask the gunsmith friend which he prefers and he said 06, but that alone does not need to be the deciding factor.

Last edited by Jevyod; 04/18/19.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Why not both? Build a swap barrel rifle. Be the only kid on the block with one, plus it'll earn you the Rifle Loony Gold Card.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I remember, it was Al Miller who wrote that intro. "IF" I ever loaded a round out that far ( assuming the throat/magazine are right for it) I would definitely crimp it with a LEE FCD, ha. I am one of those that uses it on a lot of rounds, but I like at least a bullet diameter length in the neck. I feel it helps with run out, etc. Of course, we are talking about a hunting rifle and that intro is around 40 years old, lots of great powders/bullets for the old dawg now. My only experience with the 8x57 was a full dress K98 battle field pick up ( from Russia). It has Nazi markings, etc. I had a taller front sight blade put on it to facilitate zeroing, but kept everything else stock. I found a case of Turkish 8x57 machine gun ammo. Wow! That stuff is not only accurate but really moving out, ha. Corrosive too, of course. I ended up giving it to a young man in my church. I see the Huskies every now and then and they have the drop for irons. I bet those things slap you face pretty good, ha.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jevyod,

You might also look about your local gun shows for a nice/used Husky in 6.5x55mm, 9.3x57mm OR in 9.3x62mm. = Here in TX, there seems to be a GREAT MANY such Northern European sporters out of Sweden, Finland, Norway & Denmark right now at CHEAP prices. - Most of the rifles were Mauser Model 96 based.

One vendor at the last big San Antonio gun show had about 3 DOZEN in various configurations. SOME had double-set triggers & NICE European scopes .for LESS than 300.oo OTD.
(IF I was a right-handed guy, I would have bought a Danish Mauser Model 96 sporter in 9.3x57mm, with a "post & bars" 3X scope, as it was BEAUTIFULLY stocked in what LOOKED like "Birdseye maple" for 250.oo.- I'm far from sure what kind of wood that the stock was made of but it was "just downright purty")

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by MM879
This has been a great thread with the exception of our resident troll.

Don't forget the idiots who feed the troll.....they make him even worse!

Originally Posted by weagle

Deer/Pig rifle:

Reloader:

Good luck.

Thanks for the well thought out response, but you are killing me! I had pretty much decided the 06 but i could almost persuade myself to go 8x57 again! I was looking at Husqvarna actions and was leaning that way. I did ask the gunsmith friend which he prefers and he said 06, but that alone does not need to be the deciding factor.

Good advise to listen to. I share weagle's attachment to small ring 98 actions and own several. I even picked up another Brno 22F in 8X57 back in December that shoots 200 Partitions very nicely indeed!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

If you haven’t done so already, sit down with him and see what actions and which caliber he likes the best. If it’s going to be something to remember him by why not make it a gun he likes that way you truly remember him and not something you wanted. Deer and hogs aren’t all that tough so who gives a rip on the cartridge. It should be something you could see him hunting with and something that he would appreciate. Just my nickel, keep the change.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I like hearing about all the old calibers. Every time I head to the range there is a senior shooting their favorite rifle. Many times it is an obscure caliber in rifle that is 40 -50 years old. They love their rifle and the time spent with it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
MM879,

SOME of us OFs are shooting our GRANDFATHER's firearms. = For example, I have a Colt's Police Positive Special, made in 1908, that shoots WELL & that was my grandfather's "truck gun". - Every time that I take it to the range, the "younger generation" wants to look at/shoot it.
(Shortly before I retired from the USA, the post ammo supply point threw away over 50 boxes of 148 grain .38SPL midrange lead WC. = I asked the Post CDR if I could have them & he said, "They're not worth anything, so YES you can." = I have what is likely a lifetime supply of target ammo for the PPS.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 04/19/19. Reason: add

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Stick with the caliber that won the wars. There's nothing an 8mm can do that an '06 can't do better.

Last edited by reivertom; 04/19/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mechanics...RELIABLY trump Semantics and Hormones. Congratulations?!?

Hint...............

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Originally Posted by reivertom
Stick with the caliber that won the wars. There's nothing an 8mm can do that an '06 can't do better.

reivertom,

While I applaud your nationalist fervor, nonetheless the 8x57mm can easily be loaded to equal the .30-06 Springfield, given essentially coequal firearms at all ranges.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing is fhuqking funnier,than DUMB Fhuqks,trying to out-dumbfhuqk one another...by doing their best. Congratulations?!?

Hint...............

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Save time and money. There was a JC Higgins model 50 ( FN Mauser 98) for sale in the classifieds, 30-06. Something like $375, shipped to your FFL without a scope, and ~$425 shipped to FFL with Burris 4x scope.

It doesn't get any better, easier. or lower cost than buying this rifle.

Buy it now.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice plug.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Few things fhuqking funnier...than a Mouser Twat-Six.

Hint...................

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RMiller2
Nice plug.

It is not my rifle, nor do I know who is selling it.

I have two FN -actioned "Mauser 98" JC Higgins model 50 rifles. Great rifles. The one for sale is less than $400, including shipping. Can't beat that deal with a stick.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by buttstock
Originally Posted by RMiller2
Nice plug.

It is not my rifle, nor do I know who is selling it.

I have two FN -actioned "Mauser 98" JC Higgins model 50 rifles. Great rifles. The one for sale is less than $400, including shipping. Can't beat that deal with a stick.

That is a good deal. You couldn’t bear it with a Big Stick.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here it is.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...08/gonew/1/fs-jc-higgins-50-30-06#UNREAD

It will solve the original poster's dilemma.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There's not a dead animal posted anywhere on this forum that couldn't have been killed with that JC Higgins model 50. It could also be a unique project if rebarreled to 8x57.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stupidity...never ain't not fhuqking HILARIOUS.

Hint..................

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Come over to the dark side smile

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That 200 grain Nosler Accubond in a (an? Because "8" starts with a vowel) 8x57 is a solid hunting set up. If I had only one rifle set up to hunt, this would take care of my needs. A well- balanced choice, and option.

I also like the 30-06 with 200 grain Accubonds. A well-balanced choice, and option.

Not sure if this response is solving any problems, but it makes me feel good that there are multiple effective ways to get the job done.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

How about a boring old .308 Winchester? It's right the middle of the ones you have now, does everything an '06 will and burns less powder doing it.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This will be a deer/hog rifle, and i am not a long range shooter. [/quote]
[b][/b]

Someone commenting missed this part .......... Again!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by River_Ridge

How about a boring old .308 Winchester? It's right the middle of the ones you have now, does everything an '06 will and burns less powder doing it.

Really ? everything ? Not hardly.

From 180 gr and 200 gr the 308 is in the backfield. The smaller fuselage is lacking in punch.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/13/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Interesting thread. Seems there are a few characters around that have little to contribute aside from slurs and insults. Sure would be nice to see a few good threads like this get by without the riff-raff!

Anywho... between the two you're considering, I'd go with an 8x57 purely for the cool factor. You can pick up any rifle you want in .30-06 for a song whenever you want, but if you're truly going to be building this from the ground up to your own specs for the nostalgia factor, why not go with something unique? That's how I view it, anyway. As others have pointed out, both perform rather similarly, and if you're not taking shots longer than the usual 300 yards and in, both will anchor deer/hogs with authority if you do your part. smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
STUPID is never "cool". Congratulations?!?

Hint..............

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
STUPID is never "cool". Congratulations?!?

Hint..............

8x57 kills stuff just as dead at any kind of reasonable distance as any of your high BC whiz bangs.

[Linked Image]

Notice the rifle NOT placed in running water...SOME of us know better than that.

Last edited by CowboyTim; 05/15/19.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KchuntboyKim,

"Convince" yourself of that which you most NEED to hear. Congratulations?!?

Hint.....................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have had a hankering for a left hand Tikka in 8x57 just to be a bit different. Something about that old round that is just cool. The 30-06 is more practical in a lot of ways but who cares nothing at all wrong with either cartridge.

Last edited by gerry35; 05/15/19.

Gerry.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Stumpy's presence on another thread....

ever notice his presence turns ANY thread into a toilet bowl that just won't flush?

if he was still around, Stumpy would be Sigmund Freuds favorite patient...

acting like he is the smartest guy on the planet, gracing us all with his two cents, and insulting anyone who doesn't.. kinda like a three year old, that is awfully lonely and has no other social life...

thank God for Booze, dope and meth, right Stumpy? helps ya make it thru a day.. and night...

back on topic...I'm simple in the fact, an 8mm Mauser in a European action...and an 06 in an American one...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
280 If I was going to build.
But I have to say this about the ol 06...All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

211 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 204guy, 33 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,161
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.