Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'247,

You are a DELUSIONAL Day Dreaming Dumbfhuqk. Congratulations?!?

NOTHING is fhuqking funnier,than a Texan TRYING to "talk" rifles!

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
BP-B6

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by satx78247
Quak,

SORRY but you are DEAD WRONG.

I load shoot 9.3x62mm for myself. Further .375 Whelen & .400 Brown-Whelen Improved are easily made from .30-06 cases & all THREE are BETTER than the 6.5 or even the 7mm. = The .400B-WI is fully as powerful as the .404 Jeffery for BIG/TOUGH/DANGEROUS game.

That said, neither the .30-06 nor the 8x57 have any flies on them. = In fact the .30-06 loaded with a 250 grain bullet is in the same power range as the .318 Westley-Richards, which is well-regarded in Africa.

yours, tex

The 9.3x62mm was liked by Chub Eastman. I loaded for it 13 years ago. It's a heck of a round.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Originally Posted by GoForBroke
I know an older guy, a retired gunsmith. I wanted to build a rifle with him, and he said he would help me do it. I only have a few rifles, and have a caliber gap from my 260 rem to a 358 Winchester. Was thinking something in the 30-8mm range. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the 30-06 or the 8x57. I am leaning towards the ought 6 for several reasons. Availability of components (I reload), better BC (i think), cheaper components...not sure what else. This will be a deer/hog rifle, and i am not a long range shooter. If I want to get into long range paper punching I will use my 260. Is there something I am overlooking here? Is one easier to build than the other? The guy already has the reamers for both chamberings. This project is basically so I have something to remember the guy by. Or is there another 30 caliber that I should be considering? I don't want to get into anything that requires a lot of extra work to make it function.

Since you said the project is something to remember the guy by why not ask him what his favorite cartridge is and why? That might get you a rifle that will have several "layers" of qualities to remember him by.

Now that is some pretty good advice there!!! Thank you!

You're welcome. I hope it works out for you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by Tyrone
An 8mm has more panache` and there certainly is no shortage of components for either. There is so little mechanical difference between the 2 it is a wash.

Nothing is fhuqking funnier,than Melting Snowflakes TRYING to "talk" rifles. Congratulations?!?

One could load .308" projectiles backwards and still slap an 8mm silly.

Hint...................

There were (are) several thousand WWI and WWII veterans who, having been on the wrong end of an 8x57, disagree with your ballistic opinion.

HINT, HINT, SLAP!

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Choices" are easy...when there are none. Congratulations?!?

I cited Facts and I enjoy that same so reliably upsets you so.

You Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqks are a hoot!

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I dont think the fact that the germans killed people with a 8x57 does anything to disprove with Stick said if we are being honest.

There is a distinct lack of great 8mm bullets on the market. This is the achilles heel of the 8mm rm and the 325 wsm. To get a decent BC or SD you also need to get north of 196gr and a the 8x57 doesn't have the capacity to push those very hard.

There is a boat load of match grade excellent .30 bullets on the market. I wont speak for the man but i think thats what he was trying to convey.

GOD Bless America
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Id also note that within normal hunting ranges...say within 300 yards the 8x57 is very capable...but a 30 cal is better in all regards.

GOD Bless America
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
So,how many animal have you killed with a .30/06 and 8x57 to come to that conclusion.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Perhaps she can cite "all" of the words that were "too big" or "too Technical".

LAUGHING!

Nothing is fhuqking funnier,than Melting Snowflakes TRYING to "talk" rifles. Congratulations?!?

One could load .308" projectiles backwards and still slap an 8mm silly.

Hint...................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Elkchunt,

I've killed piles of schit with both. Whack 'em and stack 'em with a Hakim...was more than a bunch funny! Google as you must. Congratulations?!?

Pardon my shooting it all and then some.

Hint..............

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The German 196 grain military loading was superior at range to the 30-06 150. But since we aren’t trying to volley fire machine guns at 2000 yards these days, it probably doesn’t matter too much.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Elkchunt,

I've killed piles of schit with both. Whack 'em and stack 'em with a Hakim...was more than a bunch funny! Google as you must. Congratulations?!?

Pardon my shooting it all and then some.

Hint..............

Excuse me that I don't believe a word you wrote.

Why should I google,post up all those critters you killed with the '06 and 8x57. Not the same pics you have been posting here for the last 3 months.

Last edited by elkhunternm; 04/15/19.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Ive killed several whitetail with both...both worked great! My father has used the 8x57 to take Red Stag in Germany, Russian Boar in Turkey, and couple deer here in the U.S. as well. Worked great there too.

The 8x57 was the first cartridge i ever reloaded for. Probably a more common story than many realize...i inherited a sporterized WW2 bring back and couldn't get full power ammo at sporting goods stores, when i could find ammo at all. The Remington green box stuff at the time was loaded to 30-30 velocity.

I started rolling my own...then got a chronograph...etc etc. The rest is history lol. I even had a couple of the Remington classics in that caliber when they were blowing them out due to poor sales. Nice guns but they never shot particularly well.

Its a great round and one of the classics. Im not a fan of 8mm bullets though as they really dont make a lot of great ones. The 150s have pretty crummy specs, the 200s have nasty recoil and the ole war horse struggles to get them over 2500 fps in my experience. Nosler data makes some outrageous claim of like 2700fps IIRC but they must of been on drugs that day because it cant be done in my experience.

While it can certainly hold its own in the game fields and has since 1888...id never chose one for the above reasons.

The 06 is THE world standard...along with the 308. Nothing else needs to be said there.

Last edited by Quak; 04/15/19.

GOD Bless America
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Quak,you're right on the recoil from an old Mauser 98,but the OP is building a rifle. So,in that case he can use a recoil pad of his choice and have the stock made to his dimensions. A 8mm 200 grain bullet speeding along at 2500 fps will kill any deer or hog he hits properly.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I decided not to replace my 338 Win Magnum. Instead I put a NOS 8mm 8x57 barrel on an old Mauser and a scope on it. Under 400m it will do most of what a 338WM will do on game not the paper trap people seem to love to play with today! You can load anything from 150gr bullets to 200gr bullets and you have cheap brass and plenty of bullets. I like to shoot 180-200 grain bullets. You get crazy long barrel life as well!

I also own a 30-06, 308 Win and 300WM. Again ignoring the paper race or paper trap and only looking on real world performance the 30-06 is a great cartridge and you can load anything from 110gr. to 230gr. I prefer 165gr. to about 220gr. bullets. A 165gr bullet and 220gr. bullet will allow you hunt anything in N. America. The old school 220gr. round noise is easily as deadly as a 338WM at typical hunting distances.

You can not go wrong with either really. Both of them will give good barrel life, great performance on anything large in N. America and S. America, more accuracy with reloading than any hunter will ever need. Brass is cheaper for the 8x57 and it is not normally sold out.

I would suggest that anyone that thinks the the 8x57 or 30-06 "sucks" has next to no experience hunting with them for decades or they are the sort that puts more emphasis on numbers on paper than meat in the freezer. I am guessing they would tell you that you can hunt Elk at 1500m with a 6.5CM! LOL That and the 6.5PRC is the ultimate hunting cartridge for N. America! LOL.....

Both provide a lot of lethality in a package that uses very little powder compared to how deadly they are!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I know an older guy, a retired gunsmith. I wanted to build a rifle with him, and he said he would help me do it. I only have a few rifles, and have a caliber gap from my 260 rem to a 358 Winchester. Was thinking something in the 30-8mm range. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the 30-06 or the 8x57. I am leaning towards the ought 6 for several reasons. Availability of components (I reload), better BC (i think), cheaper components...not sure what else. This will be a deer/hog rifle, and i am not a long range shooter. If I want to get into long range paper punching I will use my 260. Is there something I am overlooking here? Is one easier to build than the other? The guy already has the reamers for both chamberings. This project is basically so I have something to remember the guy by. Or is there another 30 caliber that I should be considering? I don't want to get into anything that requires a lot of extra work to make it function.

I own and shoot both, and I reload both.

While I have great respect for 8X57, I'd say the 30-06 has an edge in bullet offerings. My K98, is one of my most accurate deer rifles, but it took several tries with bullets to get it shooting MOA with 175 grain RN's. For the 30-06, I normally stick with 150-165 grains. Both chamberings can drop whitetails in their tracks at 150+ yards.

For me, the determination would be bullet weight. If I was going to use the rifle with 180+ grains all the time, I'd go with the 8mm. If I was going to stay under 180 grains, I'd go with the 30-06. My preference is for the latter whenever possible on deer sized game.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never shot anything beyond 100yds with my 8x57, but factory Hornady 195gr Interlocks chugging along at a pedestrian 2400-2500 fps killed everything I shot at with it in quick fashion.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Good article on 30-06 and why it is a great hunting cartridge. Last I checked it is also in the top 10 reloading component sales for many decades. 113 years after it's adoption it is still rolling along strong in spite of all the super magnums and short magnums available. You can do a super light weight 30-06 with or with out a muzzle break and not be punished in a hunting rifle not a bench rest queen. If you put a 300WM or better in a 7lbs. rifle few hunters will want to hunt with it! If you add an effective muzzle break the 30-06 becomes a dream hunting rifle in no time! https://www.outdoorlife.com/30-06-springfield-best-cartridge-big-game-hunting#page-8 You can find 30-06 ammo at gas stations, retail stores and sporting goods stores or gunsmiths all around the world! Just about every company that builds center fire bolt action rifles have chambered rifles for 30-06 and still do!

If you look at MPB range the 300WM only get's 20-40 feet more on MPB range compared to 30-06 and it has to burn a lot of powder to do it. So if your looking to punch paper or kill humans in war the 300WM has a lot of advantages over the 30-06 or 8x57 Mauser. If you want to kill Elk, Deer, Wild Boars, Moose, Caribu, Pronghorn not more than 600m away the magnums do not offer much in terms of pro's but have a lot of con's. Each hundred meters you reduce your range the less relevant magnums and VLD bullets become.

The above said both the 30-06 and 8x57 Mauser are over kill for deer hunting but that is not a big deal.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
30-06 is never a wrong answer for a hunting rifle for lots of reasons. 8mm ammo isn't as available.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Just scratch both itches man.
[Linked Image]

1st shot fouler with copper cleaned barrel with the 21 dollar a box PPU ammo with the zero from hornady vintage match ammo shot 2 weeks prior.
Made adjustments....
Shot on 3 power @ 100 yds, reticle pretty much covering the entire bull.
Verticle displacement on me....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by renegade50; 04/15/19.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
346 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 2,194 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,859
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.