24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am aware of the differences in the way these guns handle. The 336 is beefier, better for scope mounting, but the winchester 94 is thinner and trimmer. With that said which one is the faster and easier gun to crank rounds out of? simply put which one is easier to operate if you only care about open sights and doing some plinking?

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoy them both, but the post 64 94 feels sloppier in the action to me.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I think i can cycle a winchester a hair faster. I have a 1973 m94. Sold a few marlins i shouldnt have. Would love to find another made in 1981

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
when I watch people shooting an 1894 it looks like there is that last click to overcome when the lever is pulled closed or the gun will not fire. This to me appears to take a more deliberate effort. I have never shot a winchester 94, I do have a 336 though. love the lever guns though for just plinking. it seems like I also blow through quite a few rounds when shooting them too. I would love to order about 300 rounds of 30-30 just short on cash at the moment. I could see all that being shot up in a couple outings. there is nothing quite like a walk through the sage with a lever gun in your hand. I may just have to buy a '94 and see for myself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find the tight arc that the Marlin levers move through to be less comfortable than the lever path of the Winchesters, but maybe that is because I've used the Winchesters for much longer than I have the Marlins.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like both rifles, and believe the the older the better. This should be considered in response to the OP's question. Both were reliable, effective hunting tools.
Recently got a little experience with a Winchester 55 and a couple of 64's, that really impressed me. Both of these are "higher end" versions of 94's, from back in the day. Current prices indicate that they are somewhat rare and examples of how well a rifle could be built.
My education continues......

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought a 336 when I was 15. Great rifle. About 10 years later a non hunting relative gave my a deceased family members 94. It was manufactured in 1971. I really like both but if I had to choose I prefer the 94.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I believe in trained hands it is a toss up between the Marlin 336 and the Winchester Model 94.
The Marlin 336 has a good hand filling fore end that when handled properly allows the shooter to not only work the lever quickly but to handle recoil and remain eyes on target. The Model 336 has a slight feel to the lever as it is drawn up tight.
The Winchester Model 94, when the fingers of the off hand hold the forearm tip and pull the rifle back toward the shoulder will cyle fast while keeping the rifle under control and allowing the eyes to return to the target quickly. The Model 94 does have the slight hitch right as the finger lever meets the stock and the link pin is compresed.
Either rifle can be a good snap shooter and deliver a second shot quickly. I believe the most accurate and quickest follow up shots are delivered from the iron sight rifle - open, tang or peep.

The Savage Model 99 with straight grip is very fast when the feel is imprinted on the shooter. The rifle snaps open at the shot and the lever is started closed without thought by the shooter. It is only the last half inch of lever travel when the rifle is cocked the the shooter must in tune with the rifle. If you have practised the Model 99 has a slight advantage.
I have some better pictures with the rifles lying together to compare lever travel. I'll look for them. The levers travel quite a distance and practice is important. The Model 94 .357 is very fast when you are practised. Grasp the bottom of the lever with your fingets and use your thumb to trip the trigger. You can lever them out and a give a jack rabbit something to think about. Tedman refered to them as: Small Deer.
Marlin M336
[Linked Image]
Winchester Model 94
[Linked Image]
Savage Model 99
[Linked Image]

Slim
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think cowboy action shooters prefer an earlier Winchester . With the brass lifter, 1873?

The savage in my opinion needs blunter round nosed bullets to keep from jamming at the higher
cycle rates.

If you get a 336 worked and buffed they are very fast and smooth.

I got a win model 94 eastern sporting carbine in 30/30 that I like also.

The marlin 93/1893 s are also nice.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
'92 Winchester for the win.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by moosemike
'92 Winchester for the win.

Yep!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Speed of cycling is operator driven, but I do believe the average Winchester 94 is smoother than the average 336. The Winchester 94 cycle is a compound move with the ultimate pivot farther forward. This may be offset somewhat by the slightly more complex mechanical arrangement of the cycle and the fact that more of the action moves with the lever.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I own 336's, 94's and 99's. For me, it would be the 99 for fastest cycling (2nd shot) of the 3. I've been carrying a 99 for over 40 years, so I'm SURE that's the reason I'm fastest with it (it's like an extension of me at this point). I have no doubt others may find one of the other 2 to be faster. -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I prefer the Marlin......for me.....

easier cleaning......tear down.......replacement parts

although my only 336 shown.......'71 35 Rem.......

'94's & '39's a plenty......

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
tikka, that one looks just like my 336 but mine is a 30-30. what do you think of the sight options for these guns. I have both skinner and williams on mine. BUT I think I might prefer the factory sights for running jack rabbits. I use an XL leather belt bandolier that holds 40 rounds. that I throw over my shoulder. nothing quite like a walk through the sage jumping jacks with a lever gun in hand.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Speed is more about perception of speed than actual speed. That is why I laugh at people that try to list speed of action manipulation as a plus on short action bolt guns. Never mind they never have data to back up any such claims. It is even more dubious with a lever gun. If you have the time and money any lever gun can be made to function more smoothly. The more you use a rifle the smoother they get right up the point that it is too worn to function smoothly with out repairs. As surfaces get worn away and polished they get smooth. If you look at te difference between a Marlin 1865 pre and post Remington the quality of the parts manufacturing, fit and finish can not only be seen with the naked eye and felt with the fingers it can likewise be felt when you cycle the actions. Fast forward and a rifle with 1500 rounds through it feels fast and smooth compared to a brand new rifle. Even the type of lube used and how clean the rifle is kept have a bearing on how a rifle wears in! Just some things to consider.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
771 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 2,980 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.