Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by battue
Thanks,
However, it sounds like a foreign country. 5,000 acres and you can’t still hunt because of the neighbors cows and other safety reasons. I’ll take Pa no matter what day they decide to open the season.

Pay and you can’t hunt Turkey. God bless Pa’s millions of acres of SGL and State Forests for those who want to hunt as much as shoot.

Landowner has 300 cows as do the adjoining landowners. That is their perogative, they get up every morning at 3am to take care of cows, there are only 2 of them. They would be worn out if they handled all those extra seasons. I have hunted PA when they shot phugging spikes opening day and it sounded like Vietnam. No thank you, I do not miss that crap. I would not expect you to understand the way they do things down there. Just like they would not understand the way things are done in PA.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
O E H said above ^^^^

" If anything Does are bait."

I agree. Anywhere near to the rut, the rut itself, & post rut......... I hunt where the "DOES" are !
Where the does ARE, the bucks are gonna B.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nor is Pa that way today. Not even close. But you don’t know, so I understand. I can hunt more than your 5000 and not see 5 hunters in the wood if I don’t want to. However, they don’t allow electric carts in and out.

Spikes have been off limits for years. But you obviously didn’t know or just added that to try and make a weak point.

Last edited by battue; 04/15/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Nor is Pa that way today. Not even close. But you don’t know, so I understand.

I know exactly how it is done there . I still have friends that live in PA and NY state. Southern states are better managed then the Northern states. Fact of Life.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
Everyone already baits in AL, so no change in the process, only in the legalization.

Everyone? Supplemental feeding is allowed but the feeder has to be out of the line of sight of the hunter. It(Baiting or Supplemental) is not allowed on the property we hunt nor surrounding properties. In fact I have hunted several large properties in a 20 year period there and never saw either.

Well, not really everyone, just lots of folks. You are absolutely correct here, feed out of the line of sight. As you know from hunting there, lots of folks will take any advantage to get deer on their property vs over on the neighbors, so they definitely do feed on their owned property and leases, along with planting food plots. I think from what I’ve seen hunting there, many will hunt over corn similar to what is done in TX if this gets passed if allowed.

Currently in MS, they are trying hard to ban supplemental feeding due to CWD they have identified in a few animals, which their game and fish dept. believes could be more rapidly spread by feeding. I imagine that AL might follow suit if they confirm CWD there as well (which we were advised by Mr Green Jeans to be prepared for). I hunt each year for the last 20 or so in Western Alabama, and prior to that about 30 miles west of there in Eastern MS. Personally I would much rather out in WY like I’ve done for about 20 years as well, but any hunting opportunity is a good hunting opportunity, especially living in South Florida like I do. I really do appreciate stand hunting, if done right, like you described above (woods in the am, green fields in the pm), and the green fields really do let you see and appreciate deer behavior for hours at a time. There is something to be said for that for sure.

Last edited by Capt_Craig; 04/15/19.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Nor is Pa that way today. Not even close. But you don’t know, so I understand.

I know exactly how it is done there . I still have friends that live in PA and NY state. Southern states are better managed then the Northern states. Fact of Life.

They are partly correct for the farm Pa farm country and completely wrong for the big wood country.

Fact of life: An electric cart won’t get you very far in the big wood.

The Southern States big draw is the Deer populate faster than they can issue tags to kill them and Lord knows they try.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if food plots are something other than supplemental feeding, what would it be?

In all the properties I have hunted in Alabama thats all they are there for. Does have a strong attraction to food plots and you can sit there for hours watching family groups of Does, small bucks, very enjoyable. During the rut some bucks might make the mistake of pursuing does and get shot but that is far and infrequent in my experience.

If the Does are around then the big boys will not be far away either.

Yes but they usually don't make an appearance until very last light and they are fidgety if anything. We see them more in the AM then at any other time .

And as mentioned previous, they tire of eating the same same. They may hit the acorns hard, but eventually they may decide some alfalfa would be a nice change.

I have been there years where a single doe is all we saw on a foodplot at night. They are only hunted evenings. If anything Does are bait. There is so much for them to eat there it is not even funny.

How do you boys hunt? Stands? Move around? All day, or

Get up 1 1/2 hours before daylight , walk 1/2 to a mile to a stand and stay there until you are tired of sitting there. Bucks usually cruise late morning until midday .
Get into the evening stand usually no later then 2-2:30 , sit half hour past sunset.

We are picked up in electrical UTVS(most of the time) . We hunt on roughly 5000 acres surrounded by thousands of acres of privately held land . They have roughly 300 head of cattle and for safety reasons no still hunting allowed. Deer have a lot of options on where to be and what to eat . No Archery, Muzzleloader and Turkey hunting is allowed period. They even have a few days break between hunting . Tracking dog is used if needed , they do not want anyone traipsing on adjoining properties or possibly bitten by a snake of which there are many

Man, I want to hunt where you hunt. Sounds like an awesome setup.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
if food plots are something other than supplemental feeding, what would it be?

In all the properties I have hunted in Alabama thats all they are there for. Does have a strong attraction to food plots and you can sit there for hours watching family groups of Does, small bucks, very enjoyable. During the rut some bucks might make the mistake of pursuing does and get shot but that is far and infrequent in my experience.

If the Does are around then the big boys will not be far away either.

Yes but they usually don't make an appearance until very last light and they are fidgety if anything. We see them more in the AM then at any other time .

And as mentioned previous, they tire of eating the same same. They may hit the acorns hard, but eventually they may decide some alfalfa would be a nice change.

I have been there years where a single doe is all we saw on a foodplot at night. They are only hunted evenings. If anything Does are bait. There is so much for them to eat there it is not even funny.

How do you boys hunt? Stands? Move around? All day, or

Get up 1 1/2 hours before daylight , walk 1/2 to a mile to a stand and stay there until you are tired of sitting there. Bucks usually cruise late morning until midday .
Get into the evening stand usually no later then 2-2:30 , sit half hour past sunset.

We are picked up in electrical UTVS(most of the time) . We hunt on roughly 5000 acres surrounded by thousands of acres of privately held land . They have roughly 300 head of cattle and for safety reasons no still hunting allowed. Deer have a lot of options on where to be and what to eat . No Archery, Muzzleloader and Turkey hunting is allowed period. They even have a few days break between hunting . Tracking dog is used if needed , they do not want anyone traipsing on adjoining properties or possibly bitten by a snake of which there are many

Man, I want to hunt where you hunt. Sounds like an awesome setup.

The owners are not getting any younger and they have cut back quite a bit for this coming year and for the foreseeable future.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The Southern States big draw is the Deer populate faster than they can issue tags to kill them and Lord knows they try.

Among many things I could say, all I will is:

Life’s tough for a Yank ! cry
Ain’t it?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jwall

Among many things I could say, all I will is:

Life’s tough for a Yank ! cry
Ain’t it?

Jerry

Apparently , good thing they move south and tell us how much better it is up north.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It is, but I’m glad you are where you are. You old farts are always good for a laugh, now get in your assigned stand and pretend you are scouting. Funny that😀😀😀😀

Next thing you know you will be giving some yank that back hand compliment you are famous for. We laugh at it, while you think you are making us feel good.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It is, but I’m glad you are where you are. You old farts are always good for a laugh, now get in your assigned stand and pretend you are scouting. Funny that😀😀😀😀

Next thing you know you will be giving some yank that back hand compliment you are famous for. We laugh at it, while you think you are making us feel good.

If you only knew my background you might think differently but I doubt it would affect a narcissist . I believe you are much older then I am BTW.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I know all I need to know re you and your blow hard kind. Bless your little heart.

Last edited by battue; 04/16/19.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I believe you are much older then I am BTW.

Probably am, but you embarrass the rest of us. Nor do I care about your background, and from what I read I can’t imagine thinking differently.

But bless your heart.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I can understand for hogs since they are a nuisance. I hate the idea of baiting deer unless in urban areas as population control.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Feeders have been legal here for years. If you don't feed and your neighbors do you won't see many deer. It is just where hunting is going. You can sit and listen to the neighbors shoot the deer you want or you can compete.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I love the guys who call hunting over corn unethical or blast it for requiring no skill then turn around in the next breath and defend green patches. LOL!

A corn feeder is bait placed in a specific location by man to lure deer into gun or bow range. A green patch is bait placed in a specific location by man to lure deer into gun or bow range. No difference.

And please explain to me what unique skill is required to climb into a shooting house overlooking a green patch that distinguishes it from climbing into one overlooking a corn feeder? I'll stand by while some of you run your arm up your backside all the way to your elbow trying to dig some rationalization out of your lower colon that makes those two activities any different from a ethical or skills required stand point. LOL!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Todd_Bradford
I love the guys who call hunting over corn unethical or blast it for requiring no skill then turn around in the next breath and defend green patches. LOL!

A corn feeder is bait placed in a specific location by man to lure deer into gun or bow range. A green patch is bait placed in a specific location by man to lure deer into gun or bow range. No difference.

And please explain to me what unique skill is required to climb into a shooting house overlooking a green patch that distinguishes it from climbing into one overlooking a corn feeder? I'll stand by while some of you run your arm up your backside all the way to your elbow trying to dig some rationalization out of your lower colon that makes those two activities any different from a ethical or skills required stand point. LOL!

Absolutely !!

edit: they called them "green patches" when I hunted there in the 80s.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/17/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Todd_Bradford

Couple of differences:

If you have 20 deer eating from a small pile of corn , if one is sick the rest might or might not get sick. If you have feeding troughs with a few hundred pounds of purina deer chow in them and one deer is sick the rest can get sick as well. A bait pile will disturb normal whitetail travel patterns.

Once the season is over the food plot still feeds deer , most people that use bait stop baiting once the season is over.

If you have 10000 acres and one food plot then that is a magnet. If you have 10000 acres and over 100 food plots that does change things . The only thing a green field does is attract does, not everytime that you sit on a green field will you even see a deer on even the best managed properties. I have yet to see a fresh cornpile not attract deer even in a heavily hunted situation. You only sit in a greenfield for the afternoon hunts in most civilized places.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The vast majority of the Deer I kill have been between 10am and 3pm while mainly just walking around and trying to catch them out. From scouting I know they are around somewhere in the relative vicinity and for the most part I find them rather then hoping they find me. Damn Yankee that I am. 😇😇😇😇

Have shot some in the evening in a corn or alfalfa field, even while perched. One deadly perch sits in the middle of native grass.

Is one method more civilized than the other?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,020 guests, and 1,418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.