Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Quak
Id also note that within normal hunting ranges...say within 300 yards the 8x57 is very capable...but a 30 cal is better in all regards.

Since "better" is defined by the person making the judgement, what is your definition of "better" in this specific case.

BP-B6

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
elkchunt,

Your IQ has less than ZERO bearing on Reality. Congratulations?!?

Pardon my shooting it all and then some.

Bless your heart.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JohnLittleTree
I decided not to replace my 338 Win Magnum. Instead I put a NOS 8mm 8x57 barrel on an old Mauser and a scope on it. Under 400m it will do most of what a 338WM will do on game not the paper trap people seem to love to play with today! You can load anything from 150gr bullets to 200gr bullets and you have cheap brass and plenty of bullets. I like to shoot 180-200 grain bullets. You get crazy long barrel life as well!

I also own a 30-06, 308 Win and 300WM. Again ignoring the paper race or paper trap and only looking on real world performance the 30-06 is a great cartridge and you can load anything from 110gr. to 230gr. I prefer 165gr. to about 220gr. bullets. A 165gr bullet and 220gr. bullet will allow you hunt anything in N. America. The old school 220gr. round noise is easily as deadly as a 338WM at typical hunting distances.

You can not go wrong with either really. Both of them will give good barrel life, great performance on anything large in N. America and S. America, more accuracy with reloading than any hunter will ever need. Brass is cheaper for the 8x57 and it is not normally sold out.

I would suggest that anyone that thinks the the 8x57 or 30-06 "sucks" has next to no experience hunting with them for decades or they are the sort that puts more emphasis on numbers on paper than meat in the freezer. I am guessing they would tell you that you can hunt Elk at 1500m with a 6.5CM! LOL That and the 6.5PRC is the ultimate hunting cartridge for N. America! LOL.....

Both provide a lot of lethality in a package that uses very little powder compared to how deadly they are!

TinyTree,

Of course you are fhuqking guess...mainly because it's all that you can "do". Congratulations?!?

You Clueless Fhuqks are a hoot!

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
GoForBroke,

The old-school 9.3x62mm is THE rifle that I reflexively reach for IF the game is bigger/tougher than a WT deer. = 'Ole Otto Koch "KNEW what he was about" when he designed the cartridge for RED DEER & WILD BOAR. - Since then, it has become, in the eyes of many a PH, the cartridge for DANGEROUS GAME, that won't "kick your shoulder off AND that is EFFICIENT as A KILLER on every creature up to & including Cape Buffalo, Gaur, rhino, tiger, leopard, lion & elephant.

My usual load is a 286 grain JSP or solid at about 2300FPS.
(I can tell little/no difference in the "kick" of my 9.3x62mm when compared to the .30-06 with 180 grain bullet in identical rifles.- I have a Remington Model 760 in both calibers.)

My 760 in 9.3x62mm is the rifle that will go to southern Africa next year to take a Cape Buff & (hopefully) a leopard.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Quak,

There is nothing "obscure" about the .25-06 and/or the 9.3x62mm. = BOTH are better killers than the cartridges that you mention out to beyond 250M and even the .30-06 is at least as suitable as a KILLER on game up to the BIGGEST/toughest game, when compared to the calibers that you mentioned.
(During WWII, a Kenya Game Ranger, shooting game "on control"/culling the herds for feeding German/Italian POWs, killed NUMEROUS Cape Buff & elephant with a US Rifle, Model of 1917 in .30-06 chambering out to over 100M.)

PH Robert Huey Moses used the 9.3x62 Mauser with great success on EVERY species of game in Africa for over 4 decades. - It was his FAVORITE caliber in a Model 98 Mauser, which was remodeled into a "sporter".

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 04/15/19. Reason: grammar

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by satx78247
Quak,

There is nothing "obscure" about the .25-06 and/or the 9.3x62mm. = BOTH are better killers than the cartridges that you mention out to beyond 250M and even the .30-06 is at least as suitable as a KILLER on game up to the BIGGEST/toughest game, when compared to the calibers that you mentioned.
(During WWII, a Kenya Game Ranger, shooting game "on control"/culling the herds for feeding German/Italian POWs, killed NUMEROUS Cape Buff & elephant with a US Rifle, Model of 1917 in .30-06 chambering out to over 100M.)

PH Robert Huey Moses used the 9.3x62 Mauser with great success on EVERY species of game in Africa for over 4 decades. - It was his FAVORITE caliber in a Model 98 Mauser, which was remodeled into a "sporter".

yours, tex

'247,

You DELUSIONAL Dumbfhuqkery,is simply fhuqking HILARIOUS! Congratulations?!?

Nothing is fhuqking funnier,than a Texan TRYING to "talk" rifles,with her GoogleFu.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
BigStick,

Actually nothing is funnier or more disgusting than a "know it all", who sincerely believes the NONSENSE that he spews does anything but make KNOWLEDGEABLE people laugh AT his ignorance/brainlessness. = This means DIM-wits who believe that where a person lives has anything whatever to do with his/her experience/knowledge.
(There are smart Texans & stupid ones, just as there are DUMB, arrogant & SELF-important AK folks.)

Speaking of "experience", the more IGNORANT & BIGOTED the speaker, the more likely that the person uses filthy/obscene//vulgar language, to cover-up for their lack of vocabulary/education. = This means YOU, "DUMB-bunny".

Fyi, over my nearly 3 decades (& much of it being stationed OCONUS) with the USA, I'd bet that I've hunted/taken more sorts of game than you have or ever will.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'247,

No need to elaborate upon how you are such an AMAZINGLY slow "learner"...as it is wellllllll beyond obvious. Congratulations?!?

Nothing is fhuqking funnier,than a Texan TRYING to "talk" rifles,with her GoogleFu.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Originally Posted by GoForBroke

Since you said the project is something to remember the guy by why not ask him what his favorite cartridge is and why? That might get you a rifle that will have several "layers" of qualities to remember him by.

Now that is some pretty good advice there!!! Thank you!

I've read ALL of this thread so far. These quotes are on P 4.
I've squelched out all the 'static' and bs from bs (per normal).

1. I'd agree with your wishes to do a rifle to remember someone -- whatever that'd be.

2. If you want a 8X57 by all means get one, sincerely. I have a 300 WM, because I want one.

3. For myself there is NO dilema; the 30-06 (30 cal) has SO MANY options that the 8 mauser can't compete.

You only have to please yourself. Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Jevyod

Since you said the project is something to remember the guy by why not ask him what his favorite cartridge is and why? That might get you a rifle that will have several "layers" of qualities to remember him by.

Now that is some pretty good advice there!!! Thank you!

I've read ALL of this thread so far. These quotes are on P 4.
I've squelched out all the 'static' and bs from bs (per normal).

1. I'd agree with your wishes to do a rifle to remember someone -- whatever that'd be.

2. If you want a 8X57 by all means get one, sincerely. I have a 300 WM, because I want one.

3. For myself there is NO dilema; the 30-06 (30 cal) has SO MANY options that the 8 mauser can't compete.

You only have to please yourself. Good Luck

Jerry

'wall,

Of COURSE you read my every word. Congratulations?!?

1) Emotions ain't mechanics. Hint

2) Stupid is never smart. Hint

3) "Dilemma" has (2) M's...and you certainly are in no position to "compete". Hint

You'd do well to take notes and apply same.

Hint..................

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
jwall,

As loaded in Europe, the old-school 8x57mm is as powerful as the .30-06 & is quite popular with "commercial market hunters" for moose, caribou & reindeer.
(Btw, the "wildcat" & once popular after WWII, "8mm-06" could be safely loaded to out-class either "parent" cartridge.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
BigStick,

Speaking of "slow learners", you write as if 3rd grade was your best 5 years of "gubmint apruvd publick screwl ".

Laughing AT you, DIM-wit.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by satx78247
BigStick,

Speaking of "slow learners", you write as if 3rd grade was your best 5 years of "gubmint apruvd publick screwl ".

Laughing AT you, DIM-wit.

yours, tex

'247,

Be SURE to cite all of the words which are "too big" or "too Technical" for you to follow. Congratulations?!?

You Drooling DUMB Fhuqks are a hoot!

Hint.................

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I'm really curious as to what the smith might say. Lot's of cartridges from the good old days pushed aside only to be replaced with the improved cartridges, yet same ballistic results.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm really curious as to what the smith might say. Lot's of cartridges from the good old days pushed aside only to be replaced with the improved cartridges, yet same ballistic results.

Cite ONE.

Hint..............

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Post up the pics.
Originally Posted by Big Stick
elkchunt,

Your IQ has less than ZERO bearing on Reality. Congratulations?!?

Pardon my shooting it all and then some.

Bless your heart.

Hint..................

I knew you would not post up pics.

What a surprise.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
elkhunternm,

Me thinks that "DUH stick" is 100% TROLL. = I'm done with his ignorant/vulgar foolishness.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
He is 100% troll.

For me,it is fun teasing the little ankle biter.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Droolers are a HOOT! Congratulations?!?

Hint..............

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 3,079 guests, and 1,427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.