Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m outside listening to a couple whippoorwills. Does anyone else have them pass through where you live?

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
They’re generally here in the summertime. Enjoy hearing them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought maybe I knew what kind of bird you were speaking of-we have something similar out west, the Nighthawk? Looks like they may be related, anyway?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Just parked the lawn mower, have the back door open with screen shut, can hear two out there right now, and frogs in Wifes brim pond.

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 340boy
I thought maybe I knew what kind of bird you were speaking of-we have something similar out west, the Nighthawk? Looks like they may be related, anyway?

Common Nighthawks and Eastern Whip-poor-wills do look very similar but have very different songs.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Whip-poor-will/sounds

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Common_Nighthawk/sounds

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Than
Originally Posted by Squidge
Originally Posted by 340boy

Common Nighthawks and Eastern Whip-poor-wills do look very similar but have very different songs.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Whip-poor-will/sounds

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Common_Nighthawk/sounds

Interesting! That's quite a song the Whip-poor-will has.'

Thanks!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Lots of songs reference the Whippoorwill.

Last edited by hanco; 04/15/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every evening from my bedroom window just before the owls kick in....

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Have had a couple out in the back for quite a few summers. Always love to listen to them, call to them and they come up into the back yard. One of the true signs that winter i finally over. Have yet to see one though.

Do not pray for an easier life, Pray to be stronger men
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve lived within 15 miles of where I sit right now all of my life and never heard a whippoorwill . Took my sons sons turkey hunting 30 miles away to a state F&G area and heard several about an hour before sunrise, it is quite a song.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have Whippoorwills passing through SE Georgia on their migration, but they don't breed this far south so we don't get their song. What we hear that most people confuse with the Whippoorwill is called a Chuck-will's-widow which is a similar, but different bird altogether.

I live on a road named after the Whippoorwill that we have never heard here.

Last edited by Mathsr; 04/15/19. Reason: added info

Harry
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Our western version is called a "Poor Will" appropriate to its call. Probably only 1/10 the volume of the Whippoorwill, and many old timers and few youngsters living in this area are aware of their existence. Poor Wills are ground nesters with "nest" being a bit of a stretch. Usually just a couple eggs out on bare basalt cobble. Bird and eggs are extremely well camouflaged though.

When living back in the wooded Virginia's, a nearby Whippoorwill could bring me out a sound sleep, and I can snooze right through things like thunder storms. Neat birds with it once rumored that they could hibernate. Don't know if that claim still holds water or not.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/15/19.

1Minute
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
None of them up here.

Nighthawks but thats it.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco

One of Hank Williams’s best ever, as a matter of fact. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by 1minute
Our western version is called a "Poor Will" appropriate to its call. Probably only 1/10 the volume of the Whippoorwill, and many living the area are completely unaware of their existence.

When living back in the wooded Virginia's, a nearby Whippoorwill could bring me out a sound sleep, and I can snooze right through things like thunder storms. Neat birds with it once rumored that they could hibernate. Don't know if that claim still holds water or not.

Wikipedia says its true.

Apparently the common Poorwill is native to a tiny strip of Montana where I live.

I will have to keep an eye out for one.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m outside listening to a couple whippoorwills. Does anyone else have them pass through where you live?

Wish we had them out here. I love their cry. I'll have to do with the meadowlarks that have begun to arrive.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
They are in our N.C. mountains all spring and summer.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Wish we had them out here. I love their cry. I'll have to do with the meadowlarks that have begun to arrive.

Robins in early morning and evening are pretty too.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Where you live you are most likely to be listening to the Whippoorwills big brother, that being the bigger ‘n a pigeon-sized Chuck-Wills-Widow......

Big enough to swallow small birds, reptiles and rodents whole but large insects usually suffice. And gloriously loud close-up, if ya ever have one sitting on the roof you’ll know it.

The Whippoorwill passes through in numbers but breeds up north, and is pretty quiet on migration .

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 3,060 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.