Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Just bought a 22/45 lite, replaced the trigger, removed the rail waiting for the maddmaccs mount and red dot, but I started shooting it and have realized that the barrel as shiny as it looks, holds lead like a bastard! I usually just run oily patches to clean rimfires, not this one, I’m shooting Remington Thunderbolts, because I have them, but this is the only firearm that I’ve shot that makes lead like this. I’ve emailed Ruger, just wondering if anyone else has seen similar? Had the pistol out about 4 times cleaned after each trip, it seems perfectly happy to tax each bullet that leaves it, to the point that accuracy diminished drastically. Anyone else seen anything similar? Thanks

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nope...but I don't shoot Thunderbolts(in anything) and for a multitude of reasons. Congratulations?!?

Hint............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No leading issues with mine.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’ve had nothing but problems in multiple pistols using Thunderbolts... switched ammo and the problems went away...

Public landowner...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yes, it is the ammo. I like CCI over most.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What makes you think it's leading excessively?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It ain't...it just boolit lube.

Hint..............(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Ammo would be the easy one, but I’ve shot a truckload of TB’s through countless other platforms? They aren’t the greatest, but I like I like the solid bullets on game, and again, I have them.

After the first outing I noticed a gob hanging out in the bore that CLP on a patch wouldn’t dislodge, a phosphor bronze brush with MPRO7 would break it up and get rid of it, and it continued that way. The fouling was so bad, I was able to actually push some lead away from the bore at the muzzle with my fingernail, and the brush ejects lead shards as it breaks up.

I’ll try some other ammo, but I can’t see the ammo being that bad?

Thanks for the help, doesn’t sound like there are any other pistols doing the same. Guess the Woodsman will have to eat all the TB’s😁

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Are you sure it's lead?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Nope...but I don't shoot Thunderbolts(in anything) and for a multitude of reasons. Congratulations?!?

Hint............

Thunderbolts are the biggest piece of crap ammo created

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Yep, it’s lead, enough that I was able to verify with my fingernail with the product hanging out the muzzle.

I can agree on TB’s not being the best, but I’m past 5,000 of them in everything I put them in, Winchester, Colt, Remington, Savage, S&W, Ruger, Anschutz, and a few others, all followed with a CLP patch to clean with no issues like this little Ruger is showing me.

I will try another brand next, but I am also going to see what the Kroil loosened up tonight from yesterday’s shooting, I’ll see if I can push a piece out in tact, it might be interesting?

Thanks again for the thoughts, hope this is the only one

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you fool around on rimfirecentral very much, you will find your complaint of leading with Thunderbolts is VERY common, almost everyone has a complaint or twelve with the stuff. It's just crap.

Instead of shooting the cheapest crap you can find, try something a bit better. There are alternatives that do NOT lead like Thunderturds, in the same price range. Federal bulk box ammo usually shoots like crap in my rifles, but it's better than anything Remington produces now.

In the immortal words of Doc Campbell, on HeeHaw, "If it hurts when you do that, don't do that."

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Sound advice, thank you, I’m going to go look.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Somethings not right with this story. Rimfire bores "season" after a few shots and you don't need to clean them. In fact, they shoot worse after being cleaned. And if you're getting strips of lead out of the bore, then the bullets would be tumbling (sound like bees). My 22s shoot Thunderbolts as well as any other uber-cheap 22lr and I clean the bore in my 22lr pistol about once in a never.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I came down from cleaning like a centerfire, to the oil patch and done. I didn’t hear the tumbling, but accuracy did go to crap, and holes were getting out of round. I haven’t had issues with the TB’s either, and I’ll keep shooting them, just seemed weird that all of a sudden this pistol decides to hate them?

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
[img]http://https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13745207/ruger-mark-4-22-45-lite-barrel-leading#comments[/img]

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Well, maybe I’ll figure the picture posting out, but there is a pic of the lead in the image gallery

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Got the email today, Ruger wants to look at their pistol.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
ak,

I can't view your pic but if bullets are keyholing perhaps you got a bad tube.

Will be interesting to see what Ruger says.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
634 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.