Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My light load is a 405gr cast over 15gr Unique, for 1250 fps.

My heavier load is really a mid-range load, 405gr JFP over 40gr RL-7, for 1500 fps.

The commercial heavy 405 gr loads seem to be up around 2000 fps....wpw!

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yes, 45-70. I don't load it to redline though.

I've got the Winchester 1886 short rifle in .45-70 (Made by Miroku, in Japan). Front sight is too low. With the rear sight all the way down, it still hits like six inches high at 100 yards. I guess the solution is going to be to install a taller front sight.

Of Course I can only use standard pressure .45-70, unlike your Marlin.

I thought the modern 1886 was reputed to be stronger than the modern Marlin 1895?

Buffalo Bore gives it the green light for their "45-70 Magnum" loads:

"…...all Winchester 1886 iterations made since 1915....."

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=154

You're correct Shane - the Browning/Winchester (Miroku) 1886's can be loaded to the same levels as the Marlin. I've loaded quite a bit for both and don't redline them either. About 1600 fps with a 405 cast is about as heavy as I go, and usually less at around 1300-1400 with IMR 3031. I think they list three levels of loads for 45-70: Trapdoor (blackpowder velocities), 1886/Marlin and then Ruger No. 1 at the top end.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunner500
Weight should never be a concern with staying alive, there isn't a swinging dick on here that hasn't begged, connived, pleaded, hoodwinked his way into gladly hoisting a 120lb woman up in the shower and hammering himself stupid! and will every damn chance he gets.

How has this argument not made it into a ultralight hunting rifle thread.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The only time I've ever thought that I might come in 2nd Place,was on Chichagof. Had (5) Brownies in proximity,the furthest being 20yds away. (2) Boars to my left and a Sow and Twins to my right,post Rut(luckily).

I KNEW someone would find the Satin Nickle BHP in my mitts emptied,but really didn't know what the Final Score was gonna read.(grin)

An extry mag(which I had on me at the time),wasn't gonna "help" and I luckily managed to slip away,less pressing the trigger.

Woulda made a nice video.

Hint....................(grin)

Still not sure if “Chichagof” is Stickaneese for Chicago.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Rarely, of course I almost always carried a glock.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
No. My well used G19 with 16rds is plenty.

You know this how?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I've got the Winchester 1886 short rifle in .45-70 (Made by Miroku, in Japan). Front sight is too low. With the rear sight all the way down, it still hits like six inches high at 100 yards. I guess the solution is going to be to install a taller front sight.

I thought the modern 1886 was reputed to be stronger than the modern Marlin 1895?

That's cool to know. Thanks.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 79S

What would of made this even more believable was when your nephew partner went to hand you the shotgun. You replied no need for that and you showed him a pair of nickel plated 1911 with ivory grips chambered in 38 supers. Every time they responded to an incident you yell let's go deliver some justice!

You must have been there. How else would you know about the the nickel plated 1911s with ivory grips in .38 Super incident?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not usually. I carry 2 different handguns regularly depending on what I am wearing. J frame 38 snubbie in right front pocket or a M&P 9 shield in either an IWB or OWB holster depending on once again what I am wearing.

Last edited by champlain_islander; 04/17/19.

living the good life every day
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tend to keep things simple across the board. I tend to carry the same gun in my town, in the woods, on vacation, in big cities, at IDPA matches, etc. It usually is a compact, and I carry two spares. Everything balances out nicely, and the total weight is within a couple ounces of something like a loaded Glock 17 or Glock 19, but the total round count is double the 19.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting thread. Carrying a 9mil 12+1 and one spare magazine, loose in a pocket. Mag carrier is not comfortable to carry. I would like a couple of spare mags for truck and car, but currently only have the two.
Ohio requires retreat if possible, except in defense of your life or another's life. We lost "stand your ground" at the polls a few years ago.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by deflave
I don't carry any spare mags.

Same here... Once in a great while, depending on location at the time... But rarely..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by kellory
Interesting thread. Carrying a 9mil 12+1 and one spare magazine, loose in a pocket. Mag carrier is not comfortable to carry. I would like a couple of spare mags for truck and car, but currently only have the two.
Ohio requires retreat if possible, except in defense of your life or another's life. We lost "stand your ground" at the polls a few years ago.

That sucks.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Just realized that I misidentified the Model I have. I actually have the Model 1886 Extra Light Rifle with a 22” barrel, short 4-shot magazine, and a straight butt plate, not the Short Rifle variant.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kellory

kellory, what's with Ohio? I thought Ohio was a good ole boy state.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Carrying additional magazines depends on whether I believe I might need or want more ammo. Absolute arguments are pointless.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just depends on what I am doing, and the type of clothing that I am wearing. For the most part, if I am just out and about, I only care the concealed firearm with 13 rnds in it.
If I know that I'm going to be near a den of iniquity, then I usually have at least one extra magazine with 12 rounds in it. Sometimes two.

Originally Posted by local_dirt

Unless another life is at risk, why put yourself in harms way ? Seek cover and concealment until LEO's arrive.

You never know how amped up the "active shooter" is on meth or how well armed they are compared to you.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I don't carry a spare mag for my G 19, I carry a baton on my left side (right handed) to balance out my pistol.

Makes my load balance better, so my pants don't sag as much on the right side.

Virgil B.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Owl

Unless another life is at risk, why put yourself in harms way ? Seek cover and concealment until LEO's arrive.

You never know how amped up the "active shooter" is on meth or how well armed they are compared to you.

A far bigger concern than meth or any other drug is the fact that once somebody starts shooting, the cops are on their way and looking for a person with a gun.

If somebody can save the day, by all means. But I wouldn't go full Mogadishu unless I'm in uniform.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The only time I've ever thought that I might come in 2nd Place,was on Chichagof. Had (5) Brownies in proximity,the furthest being 20yds away. (2) Boars to my left and a Sow and Twins to my right,post Rut(luckily).

I KNEW someone would find the Satin Nickle BHP in my mitts emptied,but really didn't know what the Final Score was gonna read.(grin)

An extry mag(which I had on me at the time),wasn't gonna "help" and I luckily managed to slip away,less pressing the trigger.

Woulda made a nice video.

Hint....................(grin)

Still not sure if “Chichagof” is Stickaneese for Chicago.

It's an island in pws know for brown bears and lots of them.. it's part of the ABC island chain. Admiralty, Baranof, Chichagof

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chichagof_Island

Last edited by 79S; 04/17/19.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (007FJ, 7mm_Loco, Algotguns, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 9 invisible), 1,516 guests, and 763 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.