Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Craig has used his 8 mag on all kinds of critters from Asian sheep to elk and etc...

IIRC he shot his best group ever with it and 220 gr Sierras.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by McCray
Got a Remington 700 Classic in the back of the safe...killed an elk with it. Don't want to sell it, but don't use it anymore.

Isn't that what's happened to a couple rifles when you have 50 to 80 of them sitting in the safes?

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seems pretend ignore is not so pretend. Love it.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing I never liked about the 8mm RM was that the bullets are seated way down the neck to reduce the O. A. L. Some years ago that led to a discuss with a gun nut buddy of mine that went along the lines that you could use shorter brass, seat the bullets at the base of the neck and get very close to the same fps out of it. Heated discussion leads to a bet. He say you can't get within 300 fps and I say you can.

Only one way to settle that...build the cartridge and build a rifle for it. JGS made me the reamers, Huntington Die Specialties made the dies, and Custom Gun Guild put together a sweat rifle on a 1909 Mauser action and a Fajen laminated stock. Designed the cartridge to shoot 220 Rem Corelokt, which were standard for the 8 mm RM. The new 8mm/350 mag is short enough to work in a standard length action and the velo was within 150 fps of the Rem model with no pressure signs. It shoots <1" groups at 100 all day with R19 and Fed 215 primers.

That become my go to rifle for African plains game for 25 years. I've tried other bullets in it, Nosler 200 Partitions do well with H414, but it absolutely will not shoot any 185s well. Too much freebore on the shorter bullets. Barnes TSX 200s shoot well with R17.

I had been shooting this for more than a dozen years when the 8mm WSM appeared, and is darn near identical in length and capacity. Looks like I was a pioneer, though there is hardly any brass under the sun that isn't necked up and down to every caliber possible as soon as its introduced.

If you have a .300 mag of any sorts, the 8mms don't offer you any big advantage. If you are not a rifle looney, then I'd say the next step up from .30 for hunting is the .338 WM. In my opinion, there is not enough difference between the .338 and the 8mm in the field to worry about.

As for my original bet, the beer tasted good as winning prize, but it was expense in the end. wink

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GRF
Jerry and other interested parties; I used the 200 grain A-Frame in my .325 WSM and it performed without complaint or concern on critters up to and including eland. Accurate and performed as expected; good expansion and deep penetration. If it fits within the parameters of your planned hunt and style of hunting use it without concern.

GRF

Thnx GRF for the A Frame performance report. I expected it would perform well but first hand experience is better than 'suspected'.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've had an 8mm mag and still have a .325 WSM. The 220gr Weldcore is the bullet as far as I'm concerned. The 200 and 220 A-Frames are good too, but they develop more pressure at lower velocity than the Weldcores of the same weight, and the Weldcores retain weight pretty well.

I'll have the .325 on this year's elk hunt, but it's probably the backup rifle in favor of a 7mm WSM.

L_B, thnx the Weldcores are bullets I have no info on but have heard of them.
Good luck on the elk.
The 7 RM is ALMOST on top of my list of FAVS.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
One of Craig Boddington's favorites. He used it to take his Mountain Nyala with it. I personally don't care for it and the caliber was/is hampered by poor bullet choices.

Yes I'm familiar with C B and his flavor for the Big 8.

I said in the OP
"ATST it's fully capable of taking any game in North America. Craig Boddington is a good reference."

Today there are many more choices of bullets than in '78-'80.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Craig has used his 8 mag on all kinds of critters from Asian sheep to elk and etc...

IIRC he shot his best group ever with it and 220 gr Sierras.

Ken, I have not shot my best groups with my 8 but it will shoot BETTER than I can shoot IT.
Now, 1--1 1/4" groups ain't bad either.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've seen this rifle and the 8mm "Hatari" works!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hatari
One thing I never liked about the 8mm RM was that the bullets are seated way down the neck to reduce the O. A. L. Some years ago that led to a discuss with a gun nut buddy of mine that went along the lines that you could use shorter brass, seat the bullets at the base of the neck and get very close to the same fps out of it. Heated discussion leads to a bet. He say you can't get within 300 fps and I say you can.

Congrats, you were AHEAD of the curve. I have been too on a couple of other things.

OTOH, I have found that compressed loads aren't a handicap. I was shooting compressed loads in 270 W & 06 long before I got my
8 RM.

**Note** I know you can have too much compression and the bullet will get pushed back out ---> not good.

Thnx

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I knew an attorney here that bought one for elk hunting. He asked me if I was interested in it. I passed. He said the recoil was unpleasant.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I bought a 700 Classic 8mm RM in early '99 for an elk hunt I was saving for in 2000. Wound up getting divorced in Aug. '99. What I had saved up went to my ex and my lawyer. It sits unshot for many years now. I've pondered parting with it but haven't so far. I remember when working up a load for deer with the 180g NBT's that it showed pressure signs well below Nosler's book max with R-22. 2.5-3g below max chrony read 3500+fps. I said WTF, that can't be right so, like an idiot I shot it again and the chrony showed 3500+fos again. I knocked those remaining rounds down and that's the last time I shot it iirc. Got the Big D not long after. Still have a butt load of the 180g NBT's and a couple hundred Speer 200g SP's. According to Speer these were designed for the 8mm RM. So those were what I intended to use for the elk hunt. Never have managed to save back up what with child support and then college. However, all that is now behind me so looking at going west again with a buddy this fall.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I knew an attorney here that bought one for elk hunting. He asked me if I was interested in it. I passed. He said the recoil was unpleasant.

It's NO pussycat for sure BUT seriously, I had a 338 WM in a Ruger 77 O G tanger !!! It absolutely HURT me to shoot it>>>>> gone.
I still have my 8 Mag. Stock & recoil PAD makes a diff.

ATST diff people have diff recoil tolerances.

Thnx

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
magshooter

Sometimes life & people can hand us sorry deals. Glad you recovered.

As I said in an earlier post, I shot a couple of WT with the Speer 200s and they (bullets) were tougher than I expected.

Good Luck on future hunts.

Thnx

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall

8 RM.

**Note** I know you can have too much compression and the bullet will get pushed back out ---> not good.

Thnx

Jerry

Ooh, that's sounds like a bad day at the range!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Does anyone make factory ammo for it anymore? Or does anyone make new brass?

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by jwall

8 RM.

Ooh, that's sounds like a bad day at the range!

YEAH and even worse when hunting!

I have not experienced it but I know some guys have. There is a limit you do not exceed.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Does anyone make factory ammo for it anymore? Or does anyone make new brass?

I don't know. Since I'm not hunting mine now, I had stocked up on components so I haven't looked lately.
I bet someone here knows.

Thnx

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Get on his email list and wait for the 30% off coupons and free shipping!

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 222Sako, 1minute, 58 invisible), 2,814 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,877
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.