Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 20 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 19 20
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It tears pretty good.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
On my KLR650 I was amazed at the powerband they wrung out of a carbureted thumper. Not in straight line acceleration, the detuned motor was always regarded as something of a dog, but that bike could torque through the dirt AND pull 80 on the interstate all day long, all while being one of the most trouble-free bikes out there, as well as among the most inexpensive.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Which Harley dealer told you they wouldn't service old bikes?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave

Read it here, read it elsewhere on the ‘net.

Heard it from a Harley-riding friend this past weekend.

I would be happy to hear it wasn’t always true.

I’m old enough to remember Shovelheads and the people that rode ‘em, right before the first Evo motors arrived. Sure they were maintenance-intensive, but they carried tool kits and spares. Decided on rebuild times by running a finger in the pipes to check the carbon.

I’ve always wanted a bike you could keep forever, back then Shovelheads were one of the ones that might.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Read it here, read it elsewhere on the ‘net.

Heard it from a Harley-riding friend this past weekend.

I would be happy to hear it wasn’t always true.

I’m old enough to remember Shovelheads and the people that rode ‘em, right before the first Evo motors arrived. Sure they were maintenance-intensive, but they carried tool kits and spares. Decided on rebuild times by running a finger in the pipes to check the carbon.

I’ve always wanted a bike you could keep forever, back then Shovelheads were one of the ones that might.

I figured.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
You know different?

Here ya go.....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/674496-is-your-bike-over-ten-years-old.html

Something I need to look into before buying.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 04/17/19.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Maybe not all, but most franchised dealers refuse to work on even their brand that is over 15 years old. The Jap dealers are more adamant about this, but not far off is Harley.

It ain't parts availability, it's lawyer BS pertaining liability issues with a unit that's served past it's service life.

This is the word I got when way too many were bringing their junk to me to work on when I was working at an independent cycle repair shop just a couple years ago.

Now, I know I'm kinda new here, but I have to ask; flave, have you actually ever ridden a motorcycle? You've mentioned so many times that if you lived here or there that you would buy a bike. Surely there is a brand/model that would suite your local.

I'm here to help.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You know different?

Here ya go.....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/674496-is-your-bike-over-ten-years-old.html

Something I need to look into before buying.

That was hilarious. Thanks for posting.

Not that it matters anyway. I'm sure a veteran motorcyclist like yourself would have little need for service departments.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by gunzo

Now, I know I'm kinda new here, but I have to ask; flave, have you actually ever ridden a motorcycle?

No.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by gunzo
Maybe not all, but most franchised dealers refuse to work on even their brand that is over 15 years old. The Jap dealer are more adamant about this, but not far off from Harley.

LMFAO.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a ‘92 KLR last serviced/repaired at the local Kawasaki dealer in 2011, but over that span of time the only changes to the bike had been cosmetic.

Sorta ironic, the longest running unchanged continuous-production motorcycles might be the Honda and Suzuki dual purpose 650 thumpers. Once I met two Honda 650 dual sport riders from Oregon down in Oaxaca, Mexico. Along the way they had rebuilt one of their bike’s motors in a motel parking lot.

I was impressed.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I had a ‘92 KLR last serviced/repaired at the local Kawasaki dealer in 2011, but over that span of time the only changes to the bike had been cosmetic.

Sorta ironic, the longest running unchanged continuous-production motorcycles might be the Honda and Suzuki dual purpose 650 thumpers. Once I met two Honda 650 dual sport riders from Oregon down in Oaxaca, Mexico. Along the way they had rebuilt one of their bike’s motors in a motel parking lot.

I was impressed.

Wow!

Did the two people really tell you that story?!?!?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Not that it matters anyway. I'm sure a veteran motorcyclist like yourself would have little need for service departments.

Depends on the bike, depends on the miles. Age 27 until past 35, motorcycles were my only wheels, put in most of my 250,000+ miles during that time. Average service interval on my bikes was -6,000 miles. Back tire and chain life, again dependent upon the bike, was around 10,000 miles.

This is some reasons among many that no one should ever buy a motorcycle to save money.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

I was impressed.

Wow!

Did the two people really tell you that story?!?!?

Yes, and their beat-up bikes in the courtyard of their little back-street hotel in Oaxaca made me envious as all get-out. I had flown in like ordinary folk.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sounds like you’re ready to buy a bike and move to Oxaca.

Don’t forget your bicycle pump.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like you’re ready to buy a bike and move to Oxaca.

Don’t forget your bicycle pump.

There’s a group bicycle ride in downtown San Antonio, up to 300+ bikes, every week. When I go I hang around at the back, helping the total newbies with their flats/adjustments/breakdowns etc.....

Right before I left on that trip this past weekend, I took the bicycle pump out of the car. I was wishing I hadn’t when I took that neglected donut out of the trunk, it’s hard to find a gas station air pump that will go 35psi, let alone 65.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I’m sure their time with you teaches more than you could ever know.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
The bike lot at work today. Yeah, my bike is it. Mid 70s and overcast. Beautiful riding weather. You know who can't see the practical use of this new bike? The people who aren't riding their bikes. The people who have a bike just taking up space in the garage and aren't riding every day anyway. I'm in no hurry to switch to an electric bike, but I can see the practical use of it because I do ride every day.

[Linked Image]

Gorgeous bike regardless.

Thanks. This is another picture from work last week. I sent it to my son to torment him. He's in Afghanistan and I'm baby sitting for him. I try to ride his once or twice a week to keep the battery charged.

[Linked Image]

Nice bike

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Well, they sometimes learn how to change a tire anyhow. I do it because the alternative is to be an old broke divorced guy sitting at home, instead I’m an old broke divorced guy who has some hot, tattooed, in-shape young women with sex in their eyes smiling and waving at him.

Of course, in the highly unlikely event that they had the hots for an old broke divorced guy, I would prob’ly get winded and maybe have a cardiac between second and third, let alone hit a home run.

Actually what disturbs me is the number of single adults in their twenties and thirties with no kids. That is what the decline in birth rates across the West looks like on the ground.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Well, they sometimes learn how to change a tire anyhow. I do it because the alternative is to be an old broke divorced guy sitting at home, instead I’m an old broke divorced guy who has some hot, tattooed, in-shape young women with sex in their eyes smiling and waving at him.

Of course, in the highly unlikely event that they had the hots for an old broke divorced guy, I would prob’ly get winded and maybe have a cardiac between second and third, let alone hit a home run.

Actually what disturbs me is the number of single adults in their twenties and thirties with no kids. That is what the decline in birth rates across the West looks like on the ground.

1.) Seek help.

2.) How many kids did you father before you hit 30?

Page 7 of 20 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 58 invisible), 3,273 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.