Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just saw over on Accurate Reloading that my PH Bossie Mostert of Limpopo Big Game Safaris was gored by a cape buffalo. It happened on April 5th. From what I read he & his tracker "BitWell" were tracking this bull for 2 days. It had been arrowed and they were following the trail. Some how they got separated & the bull ambushed Bossie. He has a bad wound at the knee & he was gored in the abdomen. The punched a hole thru his diaphragm & broke 3 ribs. It missed his lungs. He's in ICU & infection is the biggest concern.

I can't believe it. I had killed a bull as it came out of the brush & then swung on the 2nd bull. I hit it in the shoulder. We checked on the 1st bull to make sure it was dead & then went after the 2nd one. We were loosing light fast & after tracking a short ways in the bush we decided to back out. We could hear the bull just a little bit in front of us---but we couldn't see it.

That night at camp we had a fine dinner & were drinking South African wine. Toasting each other on a great buffalo hunt.

Next morning Bossie knocks on my door at 5:30 AM. He's crying & shaking. The angels came that night & took Henriette to heaven. He lost his wife in bed that night. We still had to track down a wounded buffalo. I don't know where he summoned the strength from. We----He found the buffalo bull the next morning. After a long chase, we killed the bull. No one could figure what kept the bull going. He's shoulder was broken & the top of the lungs were shredded. But that bull still kept going.

Bossie has a 10 year old boy. There's a fund for him. there's a link on AR for it. If you can-- try to send some money---Bossie is a good man.

Bob

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very sorry to hear this. Sounds like a good PH.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
badd chit happens to the ones that don't need it . I hope for you and him he makes a full recovery

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Speedy recovery wishes for Bossie. I never understood why people hunted Cape Buffalo with a bow

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a stunt, bragging rights.

Almost always, they have someone with a gun backing them.
I always thought if you want to brag about bow killing dangerous game,
no rifles.

I hope your friend has a quick revovery.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I spoke with him last year about booking a hunt. He seemed like a good fellow and his reviews were great. If I remember correctly, they lost their house in a tornado as well

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did I read that right, people hunt Cape Buffalo with bows? Damn

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Did I read that right, people DOPES hunt Cape Buffalo with bows? Damn

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

And all manner of other DG as well...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

no rifles.

I agree. If nothing else, we owe it the animal to use the best tools and methods to effect as quick a death as possible.

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
a arrow with a well hand sharpened broadhead aimed right will go deeper into a animal`s body than a bullet will,try it even in a bucket of sand . i have seen elk,bear and deer die faster with a well placed broadhead - arrow over a bullet ,but the thing is you have to be a better hunter-shooter with a bow as Fred BEAR or HOWARD HILL were, not every one has that ability with a bow but some have that special ability with a bow,don`t forget bows are quiet too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Update on Bossie-----He's out of the hospital & is at home. It happened on the 5th of April. He was released on the 15th. There is a hog hunt raffle over at AR with all proceeds going to Bossie if anyone is interested. Bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pete53
a arrow with a well hand sharpened broadhead aimed right will go deeper into a animal`s body than a bullet will,try it even in a bucket of sand . i have seen elk,bear and deer die faster with a well placed broadhead - arrow over a bullet ,but the thing is you have to be a better hunter-shooter with a bow as Fred BEAR or HOWARD HILL were, not every one has that ability with a bow but some have that special ability with a bow,don`t forget bows are quiet too.

Pete, I don't disagree. However, not all animals respond the same to trauma. The Cape Buffalo's ability to mount a deadly assault with it's heart completely destroyed is legendary. The Cape Buffalo in my avatar took four well-placed rounds from my 458 Lott and proceeded to charge. It took four more rounds as he charged to make him drop. I then placed a ninth round through his spine (between the shoulder blades) as insurance. Upon butchering him, we found his heart obliterated by the two 500 grain soft points I fired before switching to solids.

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have always wanted to go on a Cape Buffalo hunt but I cannot for the life of me understand how any animal can do anything for more than 20-30 seconds without a heart to pump blood to all parts of the body. TexasShooter, I don't doubt what you say but in my mind just difficult to visualize.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
I have always wanted to go on a Cape Buffalo hunt but I cannot for the life of me understand how any animal can do anything for more than 20-30 seconds without a heart to pump blood to all parts of the body. TexasShooter, I don't doubt what you say but in my mind just difficult to visualize.

Not called "DG" for nothing.

I've never hunted them, but know folks who have.

They bad dudes, tough and with an attitude, not to be trifled with.

Bring enough gun, don't mess up the shot.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DLALLDER, Often the Cape Buffalo drops at the shot never to get up. The condition of the animal at the time it is hit determines the results.

The bull I mentioned was on high alert with adrenaline pumping. I had shot his "sidekick" and that one went down on the second shot. He was calm when I fired the first, well-aimed shot. Before the bull went down, bellowed for help and the second bull ran to him. (They will help each other hook the lions off when attacked by a pride.). Thus, the second one was stomping and snorting and looking for a fight.

Their endurance after being mortally wounded is nothing short of super natural.

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
funds sent.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bwana338
funds sent.

Thank you.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pete,

Cape buffalo have the heaviest, hardest ribs of any big game animal of their size I've seen, and the ribs overlap like shingles. Which makes a BIG difference in how deeply an arrow will penetrate, along with requiring not only a more powerful bow than an Alaskan moose of the same size, but a REALLY tough broadhead.

And yes, they can live a long time with wounds that would drop other animals far quicker.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

no rifles.

Seems like every rifle hunter has a backup gunner as well, I know I have while shooting a .458Lott in Tanzania on more than 1 buff. The stunt would be for the ph to carry a bow too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prayers on the way.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

312 members (1lesfox, 2alphas2, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,632
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.