Hop To
#13747008 04/16/19
B
byron Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just picked up one of these to go with our model 37 bicentennial.

Really clean with just a few dings in the stock and a small scratch on the right side of the barrel. Original butt plate, front bead replaced with a orange fiber optic.

Serial number 681xxx-4 seems to indicate 1957?

Function tested it as soon as I got home. Come on pheasant season:)

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Does the R signify ribbed ??? Never seen one with a rib.
Love those old model 37’s ! Especially the 50’s models!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The M37R is a deluxe version with a Solid Rib. They are nice, mine is a 16 ga 28" full choke. They were made in a time with pride and craftsmanship. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
byron Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Yes the R designates it as a solid ribbed gun. The deluxe (If I'm not mistaken) is stamped RD. What I seem to remember reading anyway.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Those are awesome guns.. I need a nice one to complete my pump gun collection.. Enjoy..

Molon Labe
IC B2

C
C
1940 prewar 37R (solid rib) in 16 ga. of course

[Linked Image]

Later came the solid rib deluxe model 37RD. 1959 16 ga. variant.

[Linked Image]

After that they added the vented rib deluxe, 37RVD. 1963 16 ga.

[Linked Image]

The 37RVD was later manufactured as the 37 Supreme, with a different checkering pattern.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice!

DF

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nice 37 's cold iron my 37R is like your top photo but no where that kind of condition . They are superb prairie grouse guns, lwt and handle fast and sure. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
First year production 20 ga. 37R. Metal as it was, wood restored, checkering recut.

DF

[img]https://i.imgur.com/rCWt44T.jpg?1[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/l1qqzfd.jpg?1[/img]

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Don't ever pass up a Model 17 Remington, especially if it has an I.C. barrel and is good shape. I am 69 years old and my dad passed 8-8-18 at the age of 98. He found a nice one back in the late 40's with an I.C. solid rib barrel, he later found a full choke barrel. Dad shot that gun mainly on quail for almost 40 years. We usually had good dogs, pointers and setters. We had other guns, but that was his bird gun, and if a bird got up in range, that 1 ounce of #8 put it on the ground. Being a kid, dad started me out on a field grade 16 ga L.C. Smith, but I was only allowed to put one bird load in the right I.C. barrel. When I got where I could usually kill a bird with that right barrel, he allowed me to load the modified barrel. We had some great hunts during my teen age years, and after, but how I wish I could turn back time and just have one more hunt with dad. That Ithaca 37 got the patent from Remington. As you already know , it is a sweet little gun. I have dads model 17, and I found another a while back. I also have a 37 in 20 ga I.C. DON'T want a 16 or 12 thank you. You have a very nice piece sir.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Gramps2
Don't ever pass up a Model 17 Remington, especially if it has an I.C. barrel and is good shape. I am 69 years old and my dad passed 8-8-18 at the age of 98. He found a nice one back in the late 40's with an I.C. solid rib barrel, he later found a full choke barrel. Dad shot that gun mainly on quail for almost 40 years. We usually had good dogs, pointers and setters. We had other guns, but that was his bird gun, and if a bird got up in range, that 1 ounce of #8 put it on the ground. Being a kid, dad started me out on a field grade 16 ga L.C. Smith, but I was only allowed to put one bird load in the right I.C. barrel. When I got where I could usually kill a bird with that right barrel, he allowed me to load the modified barrel. We had some great hunts during my teen age years, and after, but how I wish I could turn back time and just have one more hunt with dad. That Ithaca 37 got the patent from Remington. As you already know , it is a sweet little gun. I have dads model 17, and I found another a while back. I also have a 37 in 20 ga I.C. DON'T want a 16 or 12 thank you. You have a very nice piece sir.

This is a great post and speaks for Remington quality of old.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a 20 and 16 from the early 50's with corncob forend and checkering on the buttstock. Need to add a 12 to match. Then I found out about these pre-War guns with that trim little forend and need to come up with a trio of those as well. I really enjoy carrying my old guns.

I've said for a few years I was going to order some 'patent art' to hang with my taxidermy and other outdoor decor in the basement.

Browning's drawings would be prominent

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
You probably already know this, but I just wanted to say that you need to make sure on any extra barrel you might find, make sure it fits your gun before any money changes hands. Ithaca got bad about the ability to interchange barrels quite a few years ago, but it has cost guys to buy a barrel that won't fit their gun. The Rem 17 stayed interchangeable during all the years it was produced, that I know of. Most of the older 37's that have their serial # stamped on the front of the receiver would exchange with other barrels if they had their serial # stamped on the barrel, but it is always best to have your gun with you to make sure. Just be careful, and make sure it will fit. Good afternoon to all.

G2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Gramps2
You probably already know this, but I just wanted to say that you need to make sure on any extra barrel you might find, make sure it fits your gun before any money changes hands. Ithaca got bad about the ability to interchange barrels quite a few years ago, but it has cost guys to buy a barrel that won't fit their gun. The Rem 17 stayed interchangeable during all the years it was produced, that I know of. Most of the older 37's that have their serial # stamped on the front of the receiver would exchange with other barrels if they had their serial # stamped on the barrel, but it is always best to have your gun with you to make sure. Just be careful, and make sure it will fit. Good afternoon to all.

G2

Model 37s have had interchangeable barrels since serial number 850,000 (1963). If you want to swap barrels on older ones you'd probably need it fitted by a smith.
You can get info at Ithaca Repairs

B
byron Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
ColdIron and Dirtfarmer, Beautiful 37's. Wish I could do something with pictures to share with you all. Not enough patience I guess.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by byron
ColdIron and Dirtfarmer, Beautiful 37's. Wish I could do something with pictures to share with you all. Not enough patience I guess.

Those sure are very nice. I've got a 1962 16 gauge deluxe vent rib , the one that Simmons put on the barrel that has nice wood. I don't think the gun had ever been used when a I got it a few years back. I had the barrel threaded for screw in chokes and use it for everything. I wish I would have had it for the last 40+ years. Don't have any (want) for any other shotgun since I started hunting with this one. Mostly used for squirrel and rabbit hunting.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I just acquired my first Model 37, a 12 gauge with a polychoke, made in 1953. I'd like to learn more about the different versions of the 37, where's the best place to look without paying big $ for a book?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

337 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 35 invisible), 1,626 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,341
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.