See if you can cancel the bushing die and get the collet, it is a better option

GB1

J
jimdgc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Already have a Lee .223 collet die. I’ll play with both and see what the outcome is.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What are you going to use for brass?

Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by jimdgc
Boy, never expected that question to go downhill, but thanks for the recommendations. Ordered a Redding bushing neck sizer and a body die. I’ve used Lee collet neck sizers on a few cartridges with good results....does a standard .223 collet die work with the AI?

'

Yes in spades: 223 AI, 22/250 AI, 243 AI, 260 AI, 7/08 AI, 280 AI

I have Bushing dies in these calibers also.

As I said, Lee offers sizing mandrels in .001 graduations, but Granger has them in .005 increments. Remember that Granger's do not have a decapping pin on them, and they need a tiny O ring to hole them in, or just take the mandrel in and out of the cases when sizing them in 223 AI.

The case neck run out using Lee collet sizers is fantastic, which translates to .003 and below with the vast majority being less than .002.

AI's run some pressure to find the best accuracy, as a general rule with speed and accuracy that will put a grin on your face. I like to de- prime in a separate operation to check for loose primer pockets. Some of the brass that I shoot has 50+ firings on it, IMI in the 223,Old gold box Lapua in others....stuff is hard to kill.

For something so inexpensive, the Lee Collet sizer works extremely well. Other than custom dies such as Whidden or Harrells, Redding comp neck sizer are perhaps the best of the bushing neck sizers, and I hunt constantly for them in calibers that I shoot. If you can keep the run out at or below .002, you are good to go until you get into competitive shooting. Bushing sizers often do not give good run out, it takes a little tinkering, bushing size with an expander may cure some ills or create some..trial and error...don't assume anything. More advanced reloading is not necessary for hunters and steel bangers.

I have a friend that tests bullets for Berger and he is a 1000 yd benchrest shooter. This guy has found the best run out using Forster dies that the company has reamed the neck out to the dia that he wishes, which costs a total of $12 for the reaming...fantastic customer service by Forster!

I have been using bushing dies for so long that it is hard for me to sell them, have a small fortune invest in them.

If you like using bushings, the Redding S dies can also be used in the AI calibers, and similar calibers of approximate length, may take a tiny cut off the bottom of the die in the lathe to get the sizing length of the neck that you like. In S dies, the case is not supported as the case goes into the die, so alignment can suffer.

For a guy on a bare bones budget, a set of Redding standard dies with the addition of the Lee Collet sizer is the way to go. Clean your necks after firing, and I like using this tool with black graphite to lube the neck for an expander ball to go through:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/301357/forster-original-case-neck-lubricator

For short range hog shooting, the 55 and 62g Speer gold dots are killing hogs like they are shot with a 30/06, H335 will be your friend with a Rem 7 1/2 primer using tough brass, old Lake City, old Lapua Gold Box, Or IMI. Stand on the throttle for best accuracy. Current Lapua, Rem, and Win will give great accuracy, you just do not get 100 firings on the cases, toss them as soon as you feel a loose primer seating with a hand primer!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am fairly slow on the uptake. One can use a Lee collet/Redding S to size the neck after fireforming and then seat the bullet with the seating die from a regular 223 die set. Correct?

How often if any is something needed to size the body of the case or set it back a smidge? If so, does one use the regular die for this?

I was getting close to buying a 3 die 223AI set from Redding, but if all I need is the LCD to go with the regular set all the better.

Last edited by pointer; 04/16/19.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Redding two-die FL set,with a VLD seater will do it all.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Hint..................
The "vanilla" suggestion you made earlier was for their regular 2-die AI set and not for a non-AI die set? Like I said, I'm slow...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Hint..................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1000 words.

Hint..............

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
1000 words.

Hint..............

[Linked Image]

That's the set I use on Stick's recommendation (though it was on the way already wink ) and they make some really great ammo. My buddies smile every time they shoot my 223 AI....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,609
Posts18,454,873
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.