Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by stevevan1
Good discussion. After much thought I'm going to regain my common sense and forget all the marketing hype of these new bullets and just fall back on what I know works from personal experience. That being the tried and true Nosler Partition.

IMHO, That is an excellent decision!!!!!

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
last year saw a 143gr eldx off a shoulder of an elk at 260 yds in a large grassy plain. This was out if the deadly 6.5 Creedmoor. One drop of blood. Elk ran off, never saw it or any sign of blood again.

I'm sure it will be fine if its in the breadbasket, but anywhere else, I'm out. YMMV.

Are you saying the bullet bounced off?

Bounced off? I don't know. Penetrated? I don't know. Elk ran strong for 1/4 mile, searched rest of day, nothing. Watched thru spotting scope as bullet hit shoulder. Sounded like a solid hit. So you tell me.

So you're saying you saw exactly where the bullet hit at 260 yards? It sounds like the bullet just grazed the shoulder given the "one drop of blood" description.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello All,

Lots of opinions on bullets out there. There is the toughest bullet crowd at one end and the match bullet crowd at the other end. Both with lots of stories of success and failure.

I have shot a lot of elk with a lot of different bullets (not any of the mono metal ones (but I do know that they work)). I personally will not use a bullet that the manufacturer do not recommend for hunting the big game that I am hunting (as in Match bullets for big game). I shot many elk with Hornady Intrelock bullets in at least three calibers,Hornady Inter Bond, Swift A-Frame, Swift Scirocco, Nosler Partion, Nosler AB, factory loads (the cheapest I could find during my short on money youth) and the last few with Hornady .284" 162 gr. ELD-X out of a 7mm mag.

To answer the OP's question use either of those two bullets and you will do fine. Elk are NOT armor plated.

8mmwapiti

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Cross
I’ll throw my 2 cents in here. My 14 year old has been shooting 150 ELDXs at for the past two seasons and so far they accounted for 1 antelope buck, a small 6 point bull and a cow. Nothing was shot any closer than 150 to 200 yards. He’s shooting a Tikka 7mmRM but he’s just a kid so they’re watered down to about 2,850 fps so that the recoil is manageable. Antelope about 200 yards, pass through, 2” exit wound. Small 6 point x broken horn about 150 to 200 yards (early morning and things were happening fast so no rangefinder used) again behind the from shoulder, complete pass through, 2” exit. Cow at about 350, one pass through and one through both rear legs which hit 2 big bones was caught in the elk. Mostly still together but it had shed may 40% of it’s weight.

My opinion of these bullets is that they’re highly accurate and have good BCs. They hold together pretty well and produce kills if the velocity is kept relatively low. I’m not sure they would hold up very well at higher velocities and short ranges. I think they have better BCs than the 150 Ballistic Tips but aren’t really any tougher. I’m a big 7mm fan and primarily an elk hunter so I think that the 280 AI is a great elk cartridge but if you’re going to be in an area where you might be shooting big elk at short ranges with full house loads, I would look at tougher bullets.

BTW, in my opinion, the 150 Swift Sciroccos are crazy good bullets. They open up well at least down to 2,000 fps or so and work well at long range and at closer ranges they smash bone and blow nice exit big exit holes. I’ve never recovered one in a critter shot at less than about 400 yards except for a whitetail buck shot in the neck straight down the spine. The bullet broke about 10 or 11 veribrate and the came to rest in the spinal column. Diameter of the bullet was about 1 1/4” and still had about 80% weight retention. The buck fell over like a mannequin.

I killed the bull in the pic above at 200 yards or so. Close to 3k MV so the bullet was still humming right along.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shoot what you are confident in. Eldx doesn't fit that confidence quotient for me.

You'll get no argument from me. Prior to my ELDX experiment I was a Nosler homer. If it wasn't a NAB or PT I would use it.

Confidence is essential.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hesp
One bit of advice . Be prepared for a close shot of under 150yds. Practice off hand shooting. . It is very likely you will get a close shot where off hand shooting will be your only choice. Many talk about long range shooting but reality is close in shooting happens. Be prepared.

Close shots. Heresy! Offhand = double heresy. Ban this poster from the campfire! laugh

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What did everybody do, before we were blessed with high bc bullets? They just killed stuff and never worried about it.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by sbhooper
What did everybody do, before we were blessed with high bc bullets? They just killed stuff and never worried about it.

I like it! It's kinda come full circle. I worked in the bullet, ammo, training, firearms world. Cup and core, extruded, bonded, mono bullets and there's always that single common denominator huh. "Shot placement". They all work, just need to keep in mind how they work.

Last edited by GoForBroke; 04/15/19.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Anyone here shot an elk with the 7mm 180 eldm yet? I'm considering my next build being a 280 or 280 AI and the 180gr eldm sounds pretty good in that rifle.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Cross
I’ll throw my 2 cents in here. My 14 year old has been shooting 150 ELDXs at for the past two seasons and so far they accounted for 1 antelope buck, a small 6 point bull and a cow. Nothing was shot any closer than 150 to 200 yards. He’s shooting a Tikka 7mmRM but he’s just a kid so they’re watered down to about 2,850 fps so that the recoil is manageable. Antelope about 200 yards, pass through, 2” exit wound. Small 6 point x broken horn about 150 to 200 yards (early morning and things were happening fast so no rangefinder used) again behind the from shoulder, complete pass through, 2” exit. Cow at about 350, one pass through and one through both rear legs which hit 2 big bones was caught in the elk. Mostly still together but it had shed may 40% of it’s weight.

My opinion of these bullets is that they’re highly accurate and have good BCs. They hold together pretty well and produce kills if the velocity is kept relatively low. I’m not sure they would hold up very well at higher velocities and short ranges. I think they have better BCs than the 150 Ballistic Tips but aren’t really any tougher. I’m a big 7mm fan and primarily an elk hunter so I think that the 280 AI is a great elk cartridge but if you’re going to be in an area where you might be shooting big elk at short ranges with full house loads, I would look at tougher bullets.

BTW, in my opinion, the 150 Swift Sciroccos are crazy good bullets. They open up well at least down to 2,000 fps or so and work well at long range and at closer ranges they smash bone and blow nice exit big exit holes. I’ve never recovered one in a critter shot at less than about 400 yards except for a whitetail buck shot in the neck straight down the spine. The bullet broke about 10 or 11 veribrate and the came to rest in the spinal column. Diameter of the bullet was about 1 1/4” and still had about 80% weight retention. The buck fell over like a mannequin.

I killed the bull in the pic above at 200 yards or so. Close to 3k MV so the bullet was still humming right along.

P

Yep. My ballistics program says it should have been going about 2,670 fps at 200 yards. They’re good bullets and they’ll certainly kill elk. I guess when I said close range I should have specified bow range. If I was taking a 280AI to North Idaho or someplace like that where 20 yard rifle shots are common, these wouldn’t be my first choice. However, if I had no choice, I’d probably try to stay off the shoulder especially on a big one.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bighorn
My tried-and-true load for this .280 has been the 140 gr. Barnes TTSX, with comparable accuracy to the ELD-X, but the Hornady bullet offers better wind drift numbers.

Here’s my take: I hunt a custom 284 Win (so same-same with your 280) and have for years. While I have the same ELD-X 150’s on the shelf ready to try, my go-to for all the big game I’ve taken well with it so far — A very old, good mule deer buck, a very good whitetail buck (at 500 yards, which I would note here, as pertinent to your post regarding “wind drift” numbers), a beautiful blonde black bear, and a six-point bull elk — have all been with the 140-gr TTSX at about 3100 fps. And I might add with superlative bullet performance when I could actually recover one and see it. I’ve only caught one when it went through about 4’ of mule deer to the scrotum from a direct front-on brisket shot on that big, beefy, older mulie.

There is no advantage to the ELD regarding its “wind drift values” until you get way,..way! out there — I mean WAY out there. For deer, ok, but why for elk? Are you going to try a big bull beyond 450-500 yards with your 280 wherein even at that range the wind-drift difference is not that great. But the real odds are you will get a chance at much, much, much less than that range where bullet integrity has a much greater priority overa its atmospheric slipperiness (which, practically speaking , isn’t that much greater than the Barnes 140-gr TTSX..).

But, there will be no doubt that from fifty yards onward the TTSX will not break up or lose weight regardless of what resistance it meets — shoulder, spine, or whatever — as it traverses a bull elk.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 04/19/19.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have lots of experience with the eldX. Its a great high BC cup&core! The weight retention is totally dependent on the impact velocity. I mainly shoot the 162eldX in the 280. I find it is a very soft, quick expanding bullet and ideal for longrange deer and pigs here in Texas. It will be good for Longrange elk too(slower impact velocity). My only concern is an up close hard-angle shot at high impact velocity, it will expand rapidly with a MV above 3Kfps. That makes it extremely deadly with a behind the shoulder rib shot but may be lacking penetration if a hard quartering is necessary.

In my experience with Elk and lots of ballistics testing on wet phone books and milk jugs. I recommend the Nosler Accubond in the heaviest offering available in your caliber of choice. The 160AB would be a great choice in the 280
Happy Hunting
James

Burning Powder in the Texas Hill Country
poking holes in critters
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve killed elk with 7mm RM Nosler accubonds, Balliistic tips, partitions and had good to great performance until I hit a good sized bull with an NBT behind the shoulder and had a palm sized entry wound. Recovered him after 600 yard run - the shrapnel in his lungs finally stopped him. Without the snow it would have been iffy finding him.

Switched to the Barnes TTSX and gave up a tiny amount of accuracy, dime vs quarter best groups to gain the confidence to take shots at any angle to the vitals. Best so far 550 yards on a large cow, First shot stopped her and she made a quarter turn toward me, 2nd had her do a backflip off a little drop into a small tree. 300 Weatherby 180 grain TTSX shared exit wound. I am a Barnes believer.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

168 NBT out of my brother’s .30-06. Behind the shoulder. 20 foot recovery.

Just sayin’.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It'd be hard for me to go away from Barnes in a rifle I already knew they work well in. The results for me have just been so consistent across a wide range of calibers, weights, and distances. Coyotes, pronghorn, whitetails, mule deer, caribou, elk, and moose. Under 50yds to over 600. .243/85's up to .308/200's and multiples in-between, they always do the same thing. Caliber sized entrance, ~golf-ball sized exit and viscera stew between the holes.

IMO/IME, Paritions are never the wrong answer for big game hunting either.

I've shot deer with A-max's(75, 105, 162), V-max's (50's), .224 55gn soft-point varmint bullets, ballistic tips, Sierra Game kings, Hornady Interlock, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, Partitions, TSX, TTSX, ABLR, Sierra varminters (90gn .277's) off the top of my head. I could go back and use any of them again if I had to. That said, when it's time to fill tags, I grab ammo tipped w/TSX-TTSX.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

168 NBT out of my brother’s .30-06. Behind the shoulder. 20 foot recovery.

Just sayin’.

P

You'd like what I have. 1000 of the original Nosler Solid Bases 30-180. I bought them for my 30-06. The old Customer Satisfaction guy recommended them to me.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have shot about 30 elk and been with friends and family on many more. My advice is free so take it for what it's worth...
There are a lot of different elk shooting situations. If you get a perfect 150-200 broadside shot almost anything will work just fine. If you prep for a real long or real close shot, the requirements are opposite. In my opinion if you shoot an eldx, or similar light construction bullet at a bad angle bull up close you are asking for a problem. It will probably kill him but you may never find him. Same thing for a super tough bullet that doesn't expand at long range. For what it's worth, I use Swift scirocco, nosler accubond, or Barnes.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
145 LRX

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I see a dozen elk shot every year. I shot my last elk with a 143 ELD-X out of my 6.5-284. 200 yards and DRT with exit. Impressed me. Killed a dozen whitetail with that bullet the last two year, all exits and all DRT or shot track jobs. IF I were hunting elk in the timber and knew my shots were going to be close, I would use a heavier bullet and not worry so much about accuracy but I can generally know the ranges I will need to shoot.

I used to carry two loads, one loaded in nickel cases for the close stuff and the one my rifle was sighted in for in a regular brass case. I killed a lot of bulls at 80-100 yards with 200 grain soft points from my 300 wby and when I glassed one on a ridge that needed a longer poke, I would just chamber a softer, sleeker bullet. Worked very well for me.

I have seen really good things with the ELD-X but I agree that the weight retention is not going to be 90% unless you are shooting 800 yards. The jacket is thick enough that they hold together.

When I went to Africa last summer I got to use two loads, one with 168 TSXs and one with 150 Partition Golds. My buddies were using same 168s. Game shot with the copper bullets ran a long ways. Almost every time. The game shot with the Partition golds went down or less than 25 yards.

I am a believer in good jacketed bullets. The Partition being the best I have used for everything but the long range stuff.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

715 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,144
Posts18,464,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.