Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Hardpan Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I have a Model 1920 / 26 in .300 Savage (S/N 11XXX) that reeeeally wants to get sprung from detention in the back of the safe.

When it followed me home a few years ago, it wore an old Weaver scope. Adequate, but I finally took it off - this li'l rifle wearing a scope is like putting shoes on a duck. The base holes are ugly, but I'll fill 'em.

Anyway, being a 26, the barrel is not dovetailed for a rear sight, and it does have the standard Lyman 54 base (left-side)... but, like so many, it's missing the mast.

I seem to recall at one time there was a gentleman who fabricated a functional replacement mast. Might anyone know if he - or his masts - might still be around? Or, on a more technical side, can anyone suggest another mast-type sight that could lend itself to being milled to fit the 54 base? My son is a machinist - if I can't find a replacement mast, I'd love to be able to hand him donor parts and say "Here, Kid! Make this fit!" grin

By the way ~ he has a 1920 with a Marble's S20 ~ the other really neat but really scarce one. smile

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it was Long Beard King that made the slide for his 54.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It was me. I made it for the base I got from you, Joe.

I milled it out of a block of steel. If your son is a machinist he should have no problem executing one for you. Mill it to fit the vertical mortise and also the shallow mortise on top of the base. It's nice to have it drop neatly into that horizontal mortise when lowered all the way down. Cut a slot in the vertical surface for the threaded post to pass through and allow for as much vertical movement as you wish. The clamp nut was a simple round knurled nut I turned in the lathe. I stoned the surfaces to achieve a nice slip fit in the base, and polished the whole thing bright when done.

For windage adjustment I fashioned a steel facsimile of the old Redfield 102 system.

I sold the gun it was on to a member here, I don't remember for sure but I think it was DiamondJim. I understand he has since sold it on too.

The clamp screw in the pic was replaced with the round knurled nut described above. This is a Photobucket pic- look quickly as it may disappear soon.

[Linked Image]

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
H
Hardpan Offline OP
OP Offline
H
That's it! Thanks, Gnoahhh!

Well done. I'll pass that along to the Kid - and after seeing the picture, I had a thought...

I pulled an old Marlin 336 out of the safe and measured the "mast." If I can find an insert for a Lyman 66 it should be a very simple and quick modification. Otherwise, he can do one from scratch.

Thanks again ~ I can't wait! grin

(Then comes the challenge of working up California legal lead-free loads).

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You might be able to find an elevation staff off a Redfield 102 that may get you half way there. Regardless, Gary’s fix certainly was a high class fix.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mad_dog
I think it was Long Beard King that made the slide for his 54.

It was, Joe. I made mine to duplicate an original complete with the windage adjustment screw. and the little flip up aperture. I have pictures somewhere. I'll try to dig them up. I have actually made three,

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is one of the ones that I made several years ago,

[Linked Image]

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Maybe you and Lightfoot should team up on making Savage sighting a accessories. That's pretty nice looking.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well, I guess he showed me!! smile

Nice job of work, LBK.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Well, I guess he showed me!! smile

Nice job of work, LBK.

I dunno about that. Maybe we ought to get the three of you guys together to start making some of this hard to find stuff!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of the 3, I think I'm the smart one. I want no part of dealing with the public. laugh laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ruffly, how many hours to made a complete 54 sight?

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

H
Hardpan Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Okay, it's official ~ I yam quite impressed!! laugh

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Getting my new Acra Mill and Hardinge lathe set up and would love to take on parts for obscure obsolete gun projects. I enjoy kibitzing with "the public" (ask Joe, I'll talk to anybody, whether they want me to or not!) and like a challenge. Right now is not good, I'm knee deep in my side job gun-money making enterprise, "professional grade" croquet mallets. (Don't laugh. I get $300 apiece for them.)

Time spent on projects like this, when one, two, or three is the extent of the run? Not profitable by any stretch of the imagination. Factor in time/labor/overhead (to include cost of tooling)/materials- and unless one charged 2 or 3 or more times what the sight like LBK made is worth you would be cheating yourself. It has to be done as a labor of love and with a willingness to help a guy out, not to mention a desire to help keep these old guns percolating. If semi-serious quantities are called for (and frankly, how many Lyman 54's could a guy realistically expect to sell) then it becomes more economically feasible and a small profit can expect to be made. That's based on using basic analog machine tools, and hand filing/stoning to final fit. I'm clueless about CNC stuff other than the fact it uses black magic at its soul.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I guess I’d have to ask what are the most commonly asked for hardest parts to find for the 99 and start there. But I don’t have an answer for that.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rick99
Ruffly, how many hours to made a complete 54 sight?

Including wire EDM (for the little flip down aperture) fitting and assembly. about 12 hours.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
LBK, did you incorporate click adjustments in the sight you made?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No. I am "almost" certain that even the originals don't have click adjustments.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Can't say for sure, it's been a couple decades since I played with an original 54. But, I've yet to encounter a Lyman receiver sight that didn't employ click adjustments. Anybody else?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not on the windage of the later ones with screw adjustment - not sure of the earlier ones with a knob, but I don't think so and of course no click adjust on the elevation on any of them due to the design.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,140 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,238
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.