Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Looking for little help and constructive criticism. I use a Rock BR front rest and a rear bag on the bench. The standard front bag on the Rock BR is pretty hard. When i shoot lighter guns they typically want to lift into orbit and bounce off the rest which as you can imagine hurts the groups. I typically use my left hand to squeeze the rear bag but Ive been reading up and it looks like i need to support the fore-end with my left hand or even the top of my scope. So far so good...but my next question is the front bag on the Rock. Would i be better off removing it completely and using a folded up towel in its place? Ive read a bit that a softer front rest often helps a lot. How much pressure or lack of on the cheek weld? How hard should i pull the gun into my shoulder?

Talking a rifle that's under 7lbs all up...

GOD Bless America
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I, too, shoot light weight rifles. For load development, I use a Bald Eagle Triangle rest with an owl ear bag in the front, and a rabbit ear bag in the back. I am a "bag-squeezer" and shoot free-recoil at the bench.

I've experimented with holding down the front of the rifle with various methods (pull foreend down onto the front bag, place my hand on the barrel-action interface or scope objective), and did not see any improvement to group size, so I continue with the free-recoil method.

I frequently get a strong horizontal component to the recoil impulse (i.e., a side-to-side kick, in addition to the usual straight-back kick) , which I know is not good, but can't figure out the cause or how to prevent it. This has happened with various different rifles, so it must be caused by something I am doing or my rest.

I am very interested to hear the responses to the OP's question.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MPAJ Prone from Ruck. You'll not drag a stud and will get a better read,on how said parcel will perform in The REAL World.

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by Big Stick
MPAJ Prone from Ruck. You'll not drag a stud and will get a better read,on how said parcel will perform in The REAL World.

Hint...............

Agree with you Stick...my hunting rifles are always sighted in and checked at distance with the method ill be using in the field either prone over my pack or sitting over my pack when im stand hunting.

Im a range rat though...and shoot an awful lot from the bench for the sake of punching paper. Thats why im curious as the my bench setup.

GOD Bless America
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've seen me shoot from a Ruck with a rear fist,when forced to suffer a bench.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fold a soft towel over the front rest. Tip from Mule Deer. Works for my CLR.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ruck surface area is wayyyyyyyyyyyy more forgiving,than that of a front rest and it's narrow positioning impositions.

Hint................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Ruck surface area is wayyyyyyyyyyyy more forgiving,than that of a front rest and it's narrow positioning impositions.

Hint................
So you carry a loaded ruck everywhere you go?

That's precious!

But you should probably learn to shoot instead.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trybone,

I barely have a coupla dozen rucks and your inability to connect a dot,will only "surprise" you. Congratulations?!?

"Luckily" for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute".

Bless your heart for TRYING though.

Hint....................

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Shot some great groups with my M24 SWS over a ruck gathering data out to 800 yards... I'm a believer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by rgrx1276; 04/15/19.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Barrett Fieldcraft Rucktitude RINK

Hilariously,Trybone couldn't afford the ruck(let alone what's in it),nor the rifle(which was NIB) or the crummy.

But LUCKILY...Imagination and Pretend are within her "means",so she can "afford" to "contribute". Congratulations?!?

LAUGHING!

Hint.....................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Shot some great groups with my M24 SWS over a ruck gathering data out to 800 yards... I'm a believer.
That's fine, but Fug Stick hauls out a ruck to shoot 10 feet from his porch.

You are an accomplished shooter. Fug Stick? He tries to make little rocks from big rocks. And he needs a bipod or a rest to do it.

Fug Stick, tell us about your biggest accomplishment. Was it an especially big rock that made nice gravel?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trybone,

What kind of bipod was in the video? Congratulations?!?

You poor poor(literally) CLUELESS Fhuqk.

LAUGHING!

Hint..............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Still treating your gear like schitt. Congratulations???

What? You want a medal? Just say the words & I'll submit that video for the tard olympics.

(You'll still lose, because they are actually athletes and have talent.)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trybone,

Actual use,do tend to make Window Licking Dreamers uneasy. Congratulations?!?

Like you could "afford" a ruck.

LAUGHING!

Hint.................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, good one!
I'm still laughing about you wearing a ruck every where you go around your trailer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trybone,

You are forced to suffer and reflect upon your version of "means","abilities" and "experience". Congratulations?!?

You Pavement Pounding Clueless Fhuqks are a hoot!

Laughing!

Hint...............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
That's fine, but Fug Stick hauls out a ruck to shoot 10 feet from his porch.

You are an accomplished shooter. Fug Stick? He tries to make little rocks from big rocks. And he needs a bipod or a rest to do it.

Fug Stick, tell us about your biggest accomplishment. Was it an especially big rock that made nice gravel?

There’s allot of $$$$ MONEY $$$$ in rock.👍👍👍

[Linked Image]

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That doesn't look like a .22 Creedmoor. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn, the OP just needed advice for shooting his light weight rifle. I wish I could give him some advice, but I shoot a lightweight rifle just the same way I do a heavy one. No need to put your hand on the objective bell of the scope or hold the forend tight. I don't even use a soft towel under the rifle on the bags or front rest. Just shoot the damn thing. Some people here like using a soft towel under the rifle, maybe that helps them, but the best advice is to just get your azz off the couch and shoot.... Groups shrink when you actually shoot...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,257
Posts18,467,069
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.