Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
dubePA Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Reports are out that one of the commissioners who voted against a Saturday firearms deer opener last week, has stepped down.

It was a five to three vote and Jim Daley, who was said to have been one of the three who voted to keep the Monday opener, has apparently resigned. I believe he'd pointed out that the commissioner's own polling had indicated a majority of those responding, opposed the change..There are some current newspaper polls going on, that also show a majority of those responding, oppose the change. Interesting stuff.

Haven't actually read anything yet that he did step down, but the game commission web site now shows Daley's district as "vacant"?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just goes to show the degree to which the deer opener matters to so many people. This is and will continue to be a very emotionally charged issue.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
The PGC did in fact offer two (2) polls on the subject and BOTH showed hunters (whom fund the PGC) did indeed have a majority AGAINST a Saturday opener. Just another example of how little respect the PGC has for the very people whom fund all game programs. FUGG them, get rid of them all combine agencies.And FUGG the PFSC too while your at it!!!

Last edited by Hectortwsp; 04/17/19.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Here we go again....

Do the hunters of PA not realize no matter the day the season opens on...you can hunt when you want? Hunt the fuggin Monday. Dense crew up there.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Where you live T?

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
It’s ashame to see guys getting run out (Jim Daley) for standing up for what the people wanted seems to be biggest problem these days

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
He didn’t get run out, he quit. Major difference and now their is one less.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's the reason for the push to keep the opener on a Monday?

Is the season planned to be opened two days earlier or five days later than in the past? Is the last day of the season to remain the same or is the season still going to be X days long?

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Call it what you wish take off your rose colored glasses

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Right, I guess when he signed up he expected every vote he cast to be followed in lock step by the others? He quit and left the opportunity for his position to be filled by someone who can be manipulated. One of the biggest problems we have these days is quitters.

Looking at the big picture, just so you can relate, this is not that big of a deal. What would he have done when the hard votes needed cast? He quit....

All clear here.

Last edited by battue; 04/17/19.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Is the season planned to be opened two days earlier or five days later than in the past? Is the last day of the season to remain the same or is the season still going to be X days long?

They added a 13th day, 2 days earlier than the previous opener.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I don't care what day they open it, but here is the cliff notes version.

The Monday opener after Thanksgiving is much the same as a traditional State holiday among many. Been that way for what seems like forever. Much the same as December 25th. December 25th may fall on any day of the week, but the 25th is the 25th and the Monday after Thanksgiving is "the" Monday, and that Monday is the Deer season opener. For those who don't want the change, the reason is tradition. Nothing more, nothing less. It is their tradition, and I suspect those following will come to think a Saturday opener is their tradition and will be resistant to change.

If we ever get to hunt on Sunday, watch what will happen. "Why can't Saturday be a traveling day and I won't have to take off work on Friday. Sunday should be the opener, it makes sense in that it is the first day of the week." Waaa, Waaa, Waaa, Waaa!!!!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by battue
Where you live T?

I live in MN. I hunt in MN, WI, and SD (When I can). MN and WI have STRONG opening weekend traditions. Where I hunt in MN there is a 16 day season. WI has a 9 day season. Overall I would give the edge to WI as far as "gung-ho" on deer hunting. Most go for the 9 days since it falls over Thanksgiving.

I just can't imagine not wanting more days to hunt. I know in WI the bow hunters piss and moan like they own the place because some gun hunters want the season to start one weekend earlier so we can catch some of the rut with the rifle hunters. But for the most part we get along. I would say the biggest issues that WI hunters argue about is baiting. I won't get into that here because it would go off on a tangent of it's own.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thought so, in which we would be over and down from you and not up. 😀

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by battue

" Waaa, Waaa, Waaa, Waaa!!!!"

Based on previous Monday hunting threads in PA....That's what we're going to see no matter the outcome.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From a guy that has hunted NY and PA for many decades, the change from a Sat opener to Saturday is a BIG deal.
NY shifted to a Saturday opener several years ago. The impact was significant, and not positive.
Deer season has never been simply about hunting, there has always been a huge social side.
Historically, "the guys" would start showing up in camp on Friday.
There was time to cook up a big perch fry,
maybe have a couple extra drinks, and have time to recover
stay up a late night, or two, playing cards,
sight in your firearms,
repair whatever need fixing,
visit other camps,
and generally catch up with old friend and relatives.
Much of this disappeared with the Monday opener. Guys work thru Friday and show up late, a fast food dinner, and out hunting at zero dark thirty. It made a real change for the worse at my camp, as well as several others that I visit.
Lastly, one of the states arguments was that the change would sell more licenses, attract more hunters. Just did not happen.
The population of folks that prize the hunt, with the kill being secondary, continues to decline. The breed just gets grayer, and slowly disappears into the sunset.
Pennsylvania's situation is doubly absurd, open on a Sat, but no hunting on Sunday???

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Im in agreement with Fishdog

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I am also, but as many here have mentioned all that socialization and camp back and forth has pretty much diminished here in Pa. The Deer are part of the problem, in that over time they moved to the better feed and down to the farms and more urban areas. These days they are more closer to home than in the past.

Then many of those that complain are different than their Parents and Grandparents, who would take off a week or so to go to camp. Not so many of todays crew want to make or take the time. Many of whom are only wanting to live the dream of going to the Northwoods for a week. Those long gone in my family would go and rent a Northwoods barn to hunt out of for a week before they got their own camp.

More going on here than a GC decision.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably because the cost of living has increased by quite a bit in recent years. people can't afford to take a lot of time off.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I am old enough to remmber when those positions were elected not appointed by the Govenor, hunters had a much larger say in the way things went. We OWN all the Pa. Gameland not the Pa.Game Comission it is they whom we elected at one time to manage them. Now the openings are political appointees whom in return offer every job that opens to family members and friends of the Comissioners themselves which has led to this mess....we have biologists whom have never hunted nor spend more than a very occasional day outdoors in charge of the game, season dates, etc. more than half of them (all employees including the Bunny Cops) need to look on their phones to see what kind of duck is sitting on the pond. Last year I killed two black ducks and a WCO tried to tell me they were female mallards...fuggging idiots. FIRE THEM ALL!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,778 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.