Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
It has long been said that Remington eff'd up with their 260 cartridge - you can name all the symptoms (lack of support, dearth of loads, wrong rifling twist, etc) - making this cartridge a "could have been". And since I dived head first into the 6.5 pond a bit too early to catch the Creedmoor wave of popularity, call me surprised to find that a couple of ammunition manufacturers have recently decided that the 260 is deserving of it's own match loads. Yeah, I know there have been a few specialty makers who've offered up 260 loads in the past, but they've been pretty much outside the mainstream and don't quickly come to mind when the subject of 260 loads come up. As I'm in the midst of a slow-rolling move, all my reloading gear is packed away for the interim and I decided that I'd take the opportunity of some recent ammo sales and give these new 260 loads a chance.

I bought three boxes of the Hornady 130gr Match load, using their new ELD-M offering. I've loaded their 140gr version in some of my handloads with very decent results, so I wanted to give this load a go. Midway had it on sale, for $26.99 a box - I figure any time I can find 260 ammo of any type for under $30, it's a good buy - Even if I just wind up using it as practice ammo. The other ammo I purchased is from Berger. Now most informed shooters are aware of Berger bullets and their accuracy/quality. Many are not aware though, that Berger has partnered with Lapua and is now offering loaded ammo using their fine brass. Surprisingly, the 260 was gifted with THREE separate loadings, with 130, 136, and 140 grain bullet weights! THREE!!!! At the time, I was made aware that Bruno's Shooting Supply out of AZ was having a Berger Sale, and I came to find they were offering all three loads for $25.10. Needless to say, I ordered a box of each. Now, anyone who has ordered from them is probably aware that their shipping prices run well on the high side. I tried to comparison shop, even with the shipping being as high as it is, I was still coming in a couple dollars under the nearest estimates.

I was able to sneak off to the range today to give these loads a quick test. The rifle used is a tricked out Remington 700, with a Brux barrel in a heavy contour, topped with a Leupold Mk IV 4.5-14. I only had an hour, so i shot a quick 5 round group with each load. The local range is an underground/indoor tunnel, 100 yds, with rather poor lighting. I also had a few issues with their rests ( you can bring your own, but it becomes a huge PITA hauling all that stuff up/down the stairs each time). I pulled one shot out of the Hornady group (high and right about an inch out) but the other four were within 3/4". The Berger 140 Hybrid Target load formed a bit of a string, with the farthest two about an inch apart. The 130gr Hybrid OTM load put all five in a nice cluster, just over a half inch. And the last load, with the Lapua 136gr Scenar L pretty much duplicated the 130gr load.

I realize these are VERY limited test samples - I hope to get out again soon to try some more groups to test repeatability. And maybe give them a go in my other two 260s (both straight up sporters). But for less than $30 a box, I can't find much to complain about....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
If I bought a 6.5 it would be a 260.
In the early 70's I owned a 6.5X55 Swede that shot several loads very well but ammo was hard to find back then and brass was hard to find so I needed several boxes for the brass but the darn rifle shot them so well I just hunted with them.I traded that rifle and regretted it every day.
I love the 6.5 and will get another some day but it will be a 260AI.
DropShot

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
In 2010 Sheri Gallagher, won the NRA national championship shooting a Tubb 2000 rifle, in 260. Not sure of load, Army Marksmanship Unit loaded it. 10 off hand at 200 yds, 10 standing to prone rapid fire at 300 and 10 slow at 600. 2400 total possible points. 240Xs , prior to this time, winning score was in the 2380s. She shot a 2396 with 161Xs. Shows the round accurate and the shooter a real shooter (she won the Worlds Long Range shooting championship in England, shooting against 100s of men). I have always wondered why the 260 not more popular, but with the 6.5Creedmore creating interest believe it will come back IF enough people hear of it.

Dropshot, the 260AI not a really good round. PO himself said only some of his were, and the 260 not one of the best, AND you have to mess with the feed ramps to get it to feed and that screws the action for any normal round after that. In other words, go to the AI and you won't be able to just rebarrel and come back to the stock 260 or something else.

Ghost
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Also....10 standing to sitting in 60 seconds!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Dropshot, the 260AI not a really good round. PO himself said only some of his were, and the 260 not one of the best, AND you have to mess with the feed ramps to get it to feed and that screws the action for any normal round after that. In other words, go to the AI and you won't be able to just rebarrel and come back to the stock 260 or something else.

Uh, No you don't

I have about 10 700's chambered in 260 AI ant 243 AI, all feed just fine and none have had feed rails altered

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

checked with a gun smith friend of mine and he said, you can "get away" with out modifying the ramps in a 700 a lot of the time, and it'll feed, but will feed better if altered, but with other actions is necessary. I have an 25/06 converted (back when young and impressionable) to a 25/06AI. Had to be returned twice to have the rails reconfigured to make it feed right. My gunsmith friend was also only talking about the 260Rem to AI.

Ghost
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Your mileage may vary but I have a Borden Alpine and a Remington 700 chambered in 260 AI that feed flawlessly.

I also have several 700's and a Stiller Predator chambered in 6-284 that feed fine without modification of the rails.

Guess I've just been lucky!

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 03/31/19.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
6.5x284 a standard case. NOT straight sided one. Did you do the rifles made on the 700 action? if not, how do you know the actions weren't modified. I have had several AI rounds, and every one needed to have the feed rails modified to feed right. Like I said, did YOU build the rifles yourself? or have a smith do them. If someone else, might want to ask them if they were modified.

Ghost
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Keep believing what you believe.

I have 5 Remington 700 243 AI's, 1 Model 600 243 AI, 1 Remington 700 6MM Ackley, 1 Remington 700 22-250 AI, a Remington 700 25-06 AI. 223 AI Sako Vixen, a 700 260 AI and a Borden Alpine 260 AI, And many more.

Mauser, Springfield, Stiller, all built by close friends or relatives and NONE of them have had any modifications done to the feel rails, mag boxes yes.

I have to admit that I'm simply not equipped to build my own rifles but have been there when they were built from start to finish and have yet to have any feeding issues with any of them.

By the way you are talking out your azz, none of the cartridges mentioned are straight sided.

Are you taking the word of a smith that took 3 tries to get a AI to feed, it appears you might be.

How many of those pesky AI's do you have other than the 25-06 that gave you and the wizard you use for a smith have?

Did you know Mr. Ackley? I did, as well as 3 of the smiths that have done work for me.

I'm curious to know how much Mr; Ackley worked with the 260 AI as he passed in 89 I believe and Remington adopted the 260 in 97.

Can't say for sure that he spent a lot of time with the 6.5-308. You appear to be an expert maybe you can enlighten all of us.

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 04/06/19.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The guy I used was in 1959, so you probably not alive at the time. An he was one of the best , very well respected. Maybe you better check with your builder, you might get a surprise. An AI case straight, compared to a normal 308, 260 case. You're the one talking like you weren't there and don't know what went on. Have you tried to get a regular 260 to feed from the action. If it does, great for you. But most likely, if altered won't, slick and clean, like it should. I've seen a number of them at the range, that if you "shake the bolt" will feed, but not like it's supposed to.

Ghost
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ghost you are wrong

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have read the postings regarding the 260. I own a 700 mountain rifle with a pencil thin bbl. that Darrel Holland rechambered to 260 AI that I load 120 BT. I did have a minor problem of chambering the AI cartridge. I polished the feed ramp with my Dremel tool and the feed problem is no longer an issue. BTW, this pencil bbl. 260AI shoots bug hole groups off the bench. Has accounted for numerous big game animals and is a pleasure to shoot. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,847 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,707
Posts18,456,861
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.