Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Understand that bigblock advertises for Traditions on his forum. So of course he is gunna promote the companies that gave him deals on stuff. A faster twist has always been better for conicals. Doc White aint no idiot and neither are the tons of guys winning matches with faster twist rifles. 1-28 will shoot nearly anything reasonably well. Why in the world do you think Green Mountain IBS LRH barrels for Hawkens were 1-28 for 50cals and the IBS PRB barrels were 1-66?...They surely are not stupid. Why do you think the GM Sharp Shooter barrels were 1-24?

Aside from the twist rate you have rifling depth. A barrel made for conicals has shallower grooves than a barrel made for PRBs. Again, Doc White knew this and his rifles would flat out shoot a large variety of conicals. Knight Rifle knew it too. Look at what wins a lot in competitions. It aint no 1-48 shooting conicals but ive seen some 1-28s do great.

REALs and some Maxis shoot fairly well in a 1-48 but you get way more versatility with a faster twist. You give up very little or nothing by going to a faster twist if you want to shoot conicals. You can bet your ass if Traditions offered a 1-28 Hawkens type rifle in the USA then ole bigblock would be singing its advantages on the mountain tops.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
oh please, im shooting a kit gun i built from a traditions kit, 3 years ago. You fools did the same thing when i was shooting a kit gun cva hawken that cva hadnt made in 15 years. I advertise all my favorites and most helpful black powder websites.

Heres a question... Do you shoot that pedersoli hawken with 1:24 twist.

REALs don't shoot for [bleep] in any of my 1:28 twist barrels due to how short they are. You put them down a 1:32 or 1:48 twist and you got one hell of a shooting projectile.

Traditions does offer a 1:28 twist so again, you are full of [bleep] as usual lol.

I mostly shoot patched round ball but due to regulation changes in my state, we now have to use a 54cal for elk and moose, which means... I now have to shoot conicals in my hawken.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I see reading comprehension is still very low on your skill list. Exactly which Traditions rifle looks similar to a Hawkens is a 1-28?....Surely you dont meen that PA Pellet flint lock thats $500? Everything i see on their website is 1-48. Ardesa does offer some in Europe but not here.

Gee i wonder why their Euro 45cal conical shooters are not using a 1-48 twist too if its so damn good?...Maybe because its not and a fast twist is better?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes the PA Pellet ultra lite has the 1:28. Its a traditional sidelock.

As always, you just bring crap to table rather than showing us your results wink

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The TC original with a 1 in 48" rate shot both round balls and Maxi balls into one hole at 50 yards for me. I don't like faster rates and my RB guns have slow rates. The reason I sold the TC is because the stock did not fit so I made my own rifles so sights were right there. Many do not like a PRB but they are devastating on game. At shoots my Hawken would hit every steel 50 meter chicken off hand at 200 meters. I won the silhouette shoot and had time to set chickens for fun. No, I do not hunt that far and there is no need to make BP a long range shooter. But I have taken deer cleanly at 100 yards with my .45 flint lock and at 125 yards on a dead run, jumping and leaping brush piles with the TC. I pulled well out front and a foot high with a Maxi Ball and got her through the lungs. I do not like a sabot or an inline at all.

IC B2

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Gee, I uh , hope I didn't start a pissin match. Big block and Overkill, are you two brothers? It seems both are right. If some say a 1/48 will shoot conicals really well, and one says 1/24 will too, then I have to wonder if it is the load. Hot loads , mild loads, heavy conicals in the 1/24 and light conicals in the 1/48? I'm not sure. What ever one I buy I will have to figure to out. How about what loads are working in the 1/24 anwhat loads are working in the 1/48? it may be bullet length and velocity. I really dont care a bunch as long as it shoots. I have a Lee 340 gr. mould . I think its a REAL but not sure anymore. I enjoy making them too. A 440 gr bullet would be a good bear load and the 340 gr should too.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The heaviest load ive tried in the 1:48 twist was around 460 custom cast bullet. Under 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards with just an 80gr charge. If that cant kill deer,elk or moose, you better pack your bags.

And don't mind us, I have thick skin and have put up with those guys for 10 years or more.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
704 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 82 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.