Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Missouri does not want you to hunt wild hogs.
They claim better success with them doing all the removal.
I am from Missouri and they have yet to show me that this is true...

“The take of feral hogs is prohibited on conservation areas and other lands owned, leased, or managed by the Conservation Department. Hunting hogs on other lands is strongly discouraged.
Instead, report feral hog sightings to 573-522-4115, extension 3296 or online. The Conservation Department and the U.S. Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, along with other partners and hundreds of private landowners, are working to eradicate feral hogs in Missouri.
When hunters shoot feral hogs, it complicates efforts to remove these pests. Hogs are social animals that travel in groups called sounders. Shooting one or two hogs scatters the sounder and makes trapping efforts aimed at catching the entire group at once more difficult, because hogs become trap-shy and more wary of baited sites. With their high reproductive rate, removing one or two hogs does not help to reduce populations. Anyone who observes a feral hog or damage caused by feral hogs should report it to the Conservation Department rather than shooting the animal so we can work together towards eradication.
Releasing hogs is illegal. If you see someone releasing feral hogs, report violators to your local conservation agent.”

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
When it was legal to shoot them it was encouraging people to release them into the wild resulting in an increased hog population.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They are absolutely correct in that.

If you have trained professionals that have hog control methods in place and potential to rid many hogs from the system, hunting them makes the hogs wary, nocturnal, and much harder to catch using methods that can and will take multiple hogs at different locations.

Hunting ain't putting a dent in them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We're from the government, and we know what's best.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Well... Perhaps you can tell us about the areas of wild hogs that hunters have rid us of?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

If you have trained professionals that have hog control methods in place and potential to rid many hogs from the system, hunting them makes the hogs wary, nocturnal, and much harder to catch using methods that can and will take multiple hogs at different locations.

Have heard that said here by those who have their fingers in the government pie...I don't really give a flying ƒuck what they think and shall continue to do as I will.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Have heard that said here by those who have their fingers in the government pie...I don't really give a flying ƒuck what they think and shall continue to do as I will.

Bwahahaha! laugh

As long as it's not with an AR, right? whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Bwahahaha! laugh

As long as it's not with an AR, right? whistle

Pretty sure they exist here.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Well... Perhaps you can tell us about the areas of wild hogs that hunters have rid us of?

Perhaps you can tell us the areas where the trappers/pros are successful?

I know a few spots in GA where the pros supposedly decimated the hogs, only to have them back again...at the cost of taxpayers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is there any place where an invasive species, once established, has been eradicated for good?

I'm certainly not in the know regarding feral hogs, but it seems like the best one could hope for is to manage the population.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4winds

I know a few spots in GA where the pros supposedly decimated the hogs, only to have them back again...at the cost of taxpayers.

Some of the effective areas of hog elimination have been done by USDA Aphis, and some are done by university agriculture studies.

You can get close to 100% control, but it has to be maintained.

"Only to have them back again"... LOL.

Well, Ace... If you could solve that problem, you'd be a rich man indeed. grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4winds

Some of the effective areas of hog elimination have been done by USDA Aphis, and some are done by university agriculture studies.

You can get close to 100% control, but it has to be maintained.

"Only to have them back again"... LOL.

Well, Ace... If you could solve that problem, you'd be a rich man indeed. grin

Reminds me of the 100% guaranteed eradication of insects around my house, that I keep paying for every quarter for the past 15 years!

Look at Bigfoot, what is there 1 or 2 in the world, tops? How many professional hillbillies have been hunting him down and they can't kill his ass off either!

Sorry, but when operation government/professional anyone does anything right it's always upfront and always ends up fucqued up later on.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Same law here in Illinois. Funny that MO did this since they were bragging how hunters had removed the hog problem from Ft. Leonard Wood a few years back.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hogs aren't going anywhere no matter what. *might as well hunt them

Last edited by Fireball2; 04/17/19.

LOL
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I love missouri’ans...

SHOW ME !!!

LOL..

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I suspect the "magic bullet" to control wild hogs will include biological weapons.

Planting the right disease into the hog populations with little collateral damage. (That's the trick)

Anything else is spinning our wheels.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Is there any place where an invasive species, once established, has been eradicated for good?

Screw worms. Med fly.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

I'm certainly not in the know regarding feral hogs, but it seems like the best one could hope for is to manage the population.

Well, yeah.

Couple islands in the Aleutians have been rid of rats and foxes. The rare subspecies of geese are doing much better, even re-establishing on places the rats and foxes had totally eliminated them from.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I suspect the "magic bullet" to control wild hogs will include biological weapons.

Planting the right disease into the hog populations with little collateral damage. (That's the trick)

That sounds great. I wonder what it would be?

LOL
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Missouri does not want you to hunt wild hogs.
They claim better success with them doing all the removal.
I am from Missouri and they have yet to show me that this is true...

“The take of feral hogs is prohibited on conservation areas and other lands owned, leased, or managed by the Conservation Department. Hunting hogs on other lands is strongly discouraged.
Instead, report feral hog sightings to 573-522-4115, extension 3296 or online. The Conservation Department and the U.S. Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, along with other partners and hundreds of private landowners, are working to eradicate feral hogs in Missouri.
When hunters shoot feral hogs, it complicates efforts to remove these pests. Hogs are social animals that travel in groups called sounders. Shooting one or two hogs scatters the sounder and makes trapping efforts aimed at catching the entire group at once more difficult, because hogs become trap-shy and more wary of baited sites. With their high reproductive rate, removing one or two hogs does not help to reduce populations. Anyone who observes a feral hog or damage caused by feral hogs should report it to the Conservation Department rather than shooting the animal so we can work together towards eradication.
Releasing hogs is illegal. If you see someone releasing feral hogs, report violators to your local conservation agent.”

At least shooting them on private land is still legal. Their destructive and by law you can shoot any state protected wildlife that destroys your property. Hope the Conservation Dept trapping methods works for them as the coyote trapping has! grin Not safe anytime of the year in my area for Coyotes, Armadillos, wild Hogs (not that we have that many, Groundhogs. Their not farmer friendly and farmers are not friendly with them. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Arkansas did the same thing. Then this year started hunting them out of helicopters. I guess shooting them does work. We don't have them yet where I normally hunt. But I did happen onto a family in the Ozark national Forest once. I shot the 4 pigs I saw in the head and passed on the boar. Those 20 pound pigs were some of the best meat I ever ate. The sow ran at me and I shot for her shoulder running. She dropped but got back up while I was reloading and hopped over a ridge where I couldn't see to shoot again. I wish I had a place closer to kill a few piglets to eat every year.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Had the same issue here in Washington State. They found feral hogs in a wildlife management unit outside of Moses Lake. Instead of opening unit to hunters they spent conservation money to hire gun in helicopter to kill them.

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They eradicated coons in SE Alaska. Much feral stuff in AK was government sponsored. Reindeer, elk, bison, pheasant and much more.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
You can’t hunt them out, and unless you happen to trap the only sounder in its entirety before they get established, I don’t really think that you can trap them out. YOU CAN run them out. If you get after them with dogs enough, you’ll run them out of an area until a new sounder moves in. Then you run that one out. Sometimes you can get rid of them for a couple of years that way.

But the way they are, by the time you notice that you have a few hogs, you are overrun with hogs before you know it.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
If they'd quit putting piles of corn out there would be fewer. We stopped putting corn feeders out for the deer two years ago, haven't seen a hog or even a track since.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We got rid of Elk, wolves, buffalo, passenger pigeons and almost all of the deer in the East without any govt intervention.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by websterparish47
If they'd quit putting piles of corn out there would be fewer. We stopped putting corn feeders out for the deer two years ago, haven't seen a hog or even a track since.

I'm not sold on that as being a cause either.

Down here the hogs prefer to stay in the thick creek bottoms where they eat what is there. You don't see them in times of heavy rain and plenty of food. When you do see them again, it's shocking how much they have multiplied.

I do brush control on some ranches where no feeders exist at all. They have hogs too.

The olive farm that I manage has lots of hogs, but no feeders. But it has lots of water...

I'm thinking the water is more critical than the feed. The hogs only seem to spread westward along the waterways.

tain't many in the desert...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Arkansas did the same thing. Then this year started hunting them out of helicopters. .

Funny! My thought when I read the OP was "I bet they want to buy a helicopter and have some fun!". They just need enough pigs to justify it.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hunting out of a chopper is pretty expensive per animal.

More than most places want to pay.

And again, you have to maintain, or they come back.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
MDC flew current river for 2 days last year,spent $30k doing it,, not one pig was killed,, that month I had 2 friends kill 44,, 1 killed 10 in a trap the other killed the rest in 2 weeks with dogs and horses,, when Im squirrel hunting and I see hog,I will kill hog,,If I run up on an MDC trap I will back away,, but this not hunting the kings boar on kings land or we will ticket you Mr taxpaying peasant will not work for me,, period,,

I AM AMERICA!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

All of Indiana over a hundred years ago, with muzzle loaders.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JackRyan

Not quite the same thing we are talking about here, is it?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by websterparish47

They are like any other vermin, rats, mice, hogs. If you have them and then you FEED them, you will have MORE of them. The more they are fed, the more you will have.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I’ve said the feed thing for a long time. And though hogs certainly don’t need corn to thrive, that extra bit of nutrition might be the difference between a sow having two litters in a year and three. And then it might be the difference between three or four piglets surviving long enough to breed and seven or eight.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I wish someone would introduce some feral Maine Lobsters to OKLAHOMA!

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Are you NOT talking about killing out wild hogs?

They were hunted out of Indiana along with deer as well.

From the original settler times to the mid to late 1800's ALL HOGS RAN WILD through out Indiana AT LEAST from the OHIO river to Indianapolis and probably north of there as well. It was common practice to feed and fatten hogs on wild Chestnuts until the blight killed them out. It was a common comment a squirrel could travel the length of Indiana in nothing but Chestnut with out ever touching the ground.

It is a pretty common to see pigs roaming the common streets of near any "town" you search for historical photos in Indiana.

[img]https://www.glocktalk.com/media/rushville-3rd-morgan-where-the-library-is-now.10558/full[/img]

Last edited by JackRyan; 04/17/19.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
They may have run wild in Indiana just like they did everywhere else, but they were still livestock back then. They belonged to people who went out and got them and drove them to market or butchered them. And I guarantee you that there were half the thickets in Indiana or anywhere else back then that there are now.

Last edited by JoeBob; 04/17/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Are you NOT talking about killing out wild hogs?

They were hunted out of Indiana along with deer as well.

From the original settler times to the mid to late 1800's ALL HOGS RAN WILD through out Indiana AT LEAST from the OHIO river to Indianapolis and probably north of there as well. It was common practice to feed and fatten hogs on wild Chestnuts until the blight killed them out. It was a common comment a squirrel could travel the length of Indiana in nothing but Chestnut with out ever touching the ground.

It is a pretty common to see pigs roaming the common streets of near any "town" you search for historical photos in Indiana.

Before the blight chestnut was by far the most common tree in the eastern US.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
As long as you have water, you are gonna have pigs if they are established in that area. I don’t know what they eat in Burnet county, but the little bit of corn we put out doesn’t support the hundreds of pigs on the place I hunt. I catch a lot, but none of the other guys on my lease trap them. They shoot a few, but that doesn’t do cshit. I doubt if anyone is trapping much around me. I’ll never run out, they reproduce so quickly. The Aoudads are getting bad also. I shoot every one of those bastards I see too. They will never get rid of pigs. People will keep letting them loose.

Last edited by hanco; 04/17/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are livestock now. The live stock of the people who are cultivating them and turning them loose.

The difference now verses then, people had enough sense not to DELIBERATELY FEED THEM BACK THEN and when they were some place they didn't want them, they killed them.

Last edited by JackRyan; 04/17/19.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Big business here to hunt the damn things. People pay good money to kill the sorry bastards. Took this three weeks ago. Killed 4 of them plus caught one in a cage trap.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by hanco; 04/17/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They are livestock now. The live stock of the people who are cultivating them and turning them loose.

The difference now verses then, people had enough sense not to DELIBERATELY FEED THEM BACK THEN and when they were some place they didn't want them, they killed them.

You just know so much that isn't so.

But please continue..

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

No, no they aren’t. No one gives a damn about them except to cuss them these days.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
we had wild hogs back when i was a sprout,, domestic stock that had went feral from the free range days and had been holding out for 20-30 years,, when I was 10-12 yrs old the last ones were killed,, and now these russians hogs have been introduced,, they have thousands of acres of oaks and creeks and lakes,, they wont be killed out around here unless a virus gets em,, MDC wont,, hunters wont either,, too many deep hollows with water,,

I AM AMERICA!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las

Well, yeah.

Couple islands in the Aleutians have been rid of rats and foxes. The rare subspecies of geese are doing much better, even re-establishing on places the rats and foxes had totally eliminated them from.

That's good news, but isolated islands are not comparable to the continental infestation.

The screw worm and med fly are more to the point. If there is a biological trick that can be applied without collateral damage, I'm all for it. But it seems to me that the government paying for trapping or shooting is not the best plan. It does smack of the nanny state problem of being both cause and effect. At any rate, I can see it is a frustrating situation - kind of like what we have here with people planting their favorite invasive fish.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hanco, that's a classy pig rifle you got there. - T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

The screw worm and med fly are more to the point. If there is a biological trick that can be applied without collateral damage, I'm all for it. But it seems to me that the government paying for trapping or shooting is not the best plan. It does smack of the nanny state problem of being both cause and effect. At any rate, I can see it is a frustrating situation - kind of like what we have here with people planting their favorite invasive fish.

Previously being a wildlife specialist (govt. hunter if you will).. I have contemplated this very thing. Many times.

I really tend to agree with you to a point.

I had a hard time swallowing those people like a very few sheep ranchers getting govt. help with predator problems they would be better served forming an association and taking care of the problem themselves. It wouldn't cost ranchers much to hire a trapper/hunter to concentrate on THEIR operations exclusively.

I know. I used to get called every time a certain rancher even found an coyote turd that was months old... crazy If I would have spent 10 hours a day on that ranch, they still would have bitched.

You kill the predators around that ranch, and it benefits that particular ranch too.

But certain things cause so much damage, like the feral hogs, that the economic impacts are so large, that the losses are ultimately passed on to consumers... Like you and I, and everyone else. wink

USDA had a chance to eradicate the fire ants when they were still in a relatively small area... But everyone thought it would have been too expensive to do so..

Now fire ants cause 10's of millions of $$ in damage. Wonder what we should have done, if we could go back 50 years or so and evaluated cost compared to what we know now.

Some of that is entitlement. Some is needed.

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater isn't going to help anyone.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Previously being a wildlife specialist (govt. hunter if you will).. I have contemplated this very thing. Many times.

I really tend to agree with you to a point.

I had a hard time swallowing those people like a very few sheep ranchers getting govt. help with predator problems they would be better served forming an association and taking care of the problem themselves. It wouldn't cost ranchers much to hire a trapper/hunter to concentrate on THEIR operations exclusively.

I know. I used to get called every time a certain rancher even found an coyote turd that was months old... crazy If I would have spent 10 hours a day on that ranch, they still would have bitched.

You kill the predators around that ranch, and it benefits that particular ranch too.

But certain things cause so much damage, like the feral hogs, that the economic impacts are so large, that the losses are ultimately passed on to consumers... Like you and I, and everyone else. wink

USDA had a chance to eradicate the fire ants when they were still in a relatively small area... But everyone thought it would have been too expensive to do so..

Now fire ants cause 10's of millions of $$ in damage. Wonder what we should have done, if we could go back 50 years or so and evaluated cost compared to what we know now.

Some of that is entitlement. Some is needed.

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater isn't going to help anyone.

Good points.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The key is getting the best bang for the buck.

Nothing so far has been in the least bit effective, unless large concentrations of efforts and resources are piled into one area. Then the area has to be maintained.

Obama didn't do us any favors by gutting the USDA Aphis programs. He damn near de-funded them... due to the nature of politics, and anti-hunting/killing, save the predators BS he was fully onboard with.

I doubt Trump is building those departments back either.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
some kind or type of bio-engineered control technology is needed.

there's pros & cons, but we gotta do something, right?

sure there's money to be made in the "disease."

but overall we need to control the problem.

right now hogs are a problem.

hogs are a money-maker.

which is it on average?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by TexasShooter
hanco, that's a classy pig rifle you got there. - T.S.

Thank you, I’m a newcomer to 99’s. I bought that rifle from Fireball2. That little rifle will shoot sub inch groups at a hundred. I hit the two little pigs on the run. One dumb pig came back a little later. Four other 99’s have infiltrated my gunsafe.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Rockinbar is correct, most places can’t shoot enough to make a dent unless you shoot em by the tens or hundreds from a helicopter.

Trapping can buy you some time, how much depends on your neighbors.

The abundance of hogs here has to be seen to be believed, even inside the city limits. Even in areas without feeders. This place floods, nobody can build along the creeks, which is where you find the hogs.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Don't know about all this , I don't have the faith in my local game managers that some of you do. I shoot every hog that I get into my sights. At the least it sure makes me feel that I'm doing a part to help with the problem. I have heard other hunters in my area say they only shoot them when it's a good time to. They are scared of spooking the deer etc. , etc. I have killed deer 5 minutes behind killing a hog . The way I see it , every sow I kill is one less that will be dropping more., but I ain't particular with what it is . A dead hog is a good hog.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by jeeper

Don't know about all this , I don't have the faith in my local game managers that some of you do. I shoot every hog that I get into my sights. At the least it sure makes me feel that I'm doing a part to help with the problem. I have heard other hunters in my area say they only shoot them when it's a good time to. They are scared of spooking the deer etc. , etc. I have killed deer 5 minutes behind killing a hog . The way I see it , every sow I kill is one less that will be dropping more., but I ain't particular with what it is . A dead hog is a good hog.

Me too

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

I don't *feel* discouraged, so I guess it's OK.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have a personal stake in this and knowledge first hand. Having a farm in Lawrence /Dade county MO. I have personal caught people turning hogs loose. I sometime regret not killing the SOB on the spot . I hate the city hunters wanting to hunt the hogs almost as bad. I shot and let lay or drag off if in a bad area to let lay everyone I see. My local problem is only minor compared to some areas . I coming MDC for trying to do all it can .

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You're correct in that the @ssholes turnin hogs loose is the problem.

So make *that* illegal, insteada tellin everbody else not to shoot em on sight, which used ta be the rule.

Used to be no license, no size restrictions and no limit.

No doubt the governor's nephew, or somebody high up in MDC, is a "certified" hog eradicator.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Understand what your saying kind of agree. But if its illegal to hunt hogs as such the "want" for pigs will lower and some of the releasing will lower ( hopefully)
No easy fix or answer.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
There's logic on both ides, but I always try ta err on the side of freedom.

This also exposes a bigger issue, that MDC can ban somethin on "their" land that isn't in the wildlife code.

I don't like *that*, either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las

Well, yeah.

Yeah, and DEC banned the use of the pesticides they use and now we are overrun with rodents.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Kansas has the same rules. They’ve whittled a small but growing population down to a smaller and contained population with hogs in only a couple of areas.

The way I see the hog problem, landowners that make a living in the land hate them. But a few that have recreational land want to charge hunts for them. They release them. Hogs spread to unwanted areas.

Conservation departments restrict on govt controlled land, and are being successful at it. But every other Billy Bob in the county knows better, and that their AR with a 30 round magazine is the ultimate hog medicine. Shoot a couple before the herd scatters is what they think is keeping them in check.

No amount of evidence will convince them otherwise.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Yep.
Nothing else will eliminate them.

Like Barry says, heavy hunting pressure makes them wary, move, or go nocturnal. They’ll then return, sooner or later. Trapping helps, but the trappers I know continue to take big numbers. Take out one sounder, another moves in. Helicopter gunning helps, but it’s cost preventative. Most farmers & ranchers can’t afford it. Mostly just the biggest & wealthiest can. Then the hogs move onto the smaller ranches. Not feeding corn won’t help, contrary to popular beliefs. Hogs eat every type of crop grown except for cotton. But they will dig up the cotton seeds you plant before they germinate. Plenty of wild crops to sustain them. Acorns, pecans, weed roots, cacti, flowers, mesquite beans, grass, etc. You name it and they’ll eat it. Not to mention bird eggs, baby birds, snakes, mice & rats, insects, carrion etc. They are not picky. As long as they have water, and water ways to travel, they will survive & multiply.

I sure as hell don’t like Govt. interfering with my Ranching or Hunting, but I’m afraid if they don’t ok & implement some type of biological weapon, we are just spinning our wheels and will never control the population. Period.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/17/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So long as someone makes money on them, they will still be there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have a personal stake in this and knowledge first hand. Having a farm in Lawrence /Dade county MO. I have personal caught people turning hogs loose. I sometime regret not killing the SOB on the spot . I hate the city hunters wanting to hunt the hogs almost as bad. I shot and let lay or drag off if in a bad area to let lay everyone I see. My local problem is only minor compared to some areas . I coming MDC for trying to do all it can .

They do the same thing here.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

exactly this

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Kansas has the same rules. They’ve whittled a small but growing population down to a smaller and contained population with hogs in only a couple of areas.

The way I see the hog problem, landowners that make a living in the land hate them. But a few that have recreational land want to charge hunts for them. They release them. Hogs spread to unwanted areas.

Conservation departments restrict on govt controlled land, and are being successful at it. But every other Billy Bob in the county knows better, and that their AR with a 30 round magazine is the ultimate hog medicine. Shoot a couple before the herd scatters is what they think is keeping them in check.

No amount of evidence will convince them otherwise.
I think you're right.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You just need the dude from the blaser video. Dude smokes every pig in sight.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, the Texas boys are all correct when it comes to hog knowledge and eradication. I'll be damned, weird.......................!!

Rockin', Rost', Chlinstructor and the rest know to let the Pro's do work......... Especially when you consider that 95% of all the feral hogs living in Missouri, live South of I-44, on Missouri Dept. of Conservation ground!

It's rough, rugged, plenty of water and mast crop, 1.5 million acres of very low human population and basically "HOG HEAVEN"!

For [bleep] sake. Listen to guys that have lived with "Privatized Hunting", on flat ground for years.... They still haven't solved the hog problem. I'm speaking of the Texas boys but to, dumb asses here!...

Local hunting of hogs in these steep, rugged public areas of Missouri only exacerbate ecological problems for indigenous wildlife that we so love to hunt and view!

Interruptions from "Dale",([bleep] you Dale), or "Richard", (you too Richard, you dumb ass!), via shooting one hog from a sounder has significant set back for trapping operations

News flash, they aren't dumb....................They move!!

I take exception to the aerial gunning here because I don't think it's cost prohibitive but trapping is!!

If you love your deer, black bears, turkeys, quail, rabbits, squirrels, Warblers, Indigo Buntings, Monarch Butterflies, "Mountain Boomers", let the fuggin' hogs pass on MO public ground!!

X-VERMINATOR

Last edited by xverminator; 04/18/19.

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is old news, atleast two years old but as far as "Bowsinger" is concerned, that transplant doesn't know the Ozark's from the Galapagos. Way too much "Lib" in him for this part of the world!

X-VERMINATOR

Last edited by xverminator; 04/18/19.

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by xverminator
This is old news, atleast two years old but as far as "Bowsinger" is concerned, that transplant doesn't know the Ozark's from the Galapagos. Way too much "Lib" in him for this part of the world!

X-VERMINATOR
Spot-on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

X-VERMINATOR
Spot-on.

Not looking for validation but thanks!

X-VERMINATOR

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, the Texas boys are all correct when it comes to hog knowledge and eradication. I'll be damned, weird.......................!!

Rockin', Rost', Chlinstructor and the rest know to let the Pro's do work......... Especially when you consider that 95% of all the feral hogs living in Missouri, live South of I-44, on Missouri Dept. of Conservation ground!

It's rough, rugged, plenty of water and mast crop, 1.5 million acres of very low human population and basically "HOG HEAVEN"!

For [bleep] sake. Listen to guys that have lived with "Privatized Hunting", on flat ground for years.... They still haven't solved the hog problem. I'm speaking of the Texas boys but to, dumb asses here!...

Local hunting of hogs in these steep, rugged public areas of Missouri only exacerbate ecological problems for indigenous wildlife that we so love to hunt and view!

Interruptions from "Dale",([bleep] you Dale), or "Richard", (you too Richard, you dumb ass!), via shooting one hog from a sounder has significant set back for trapping operations

News flash, they aren't dumb....................They move!!

I take exception to the aerial gunning here because I don't think it's cost prohibitive but trapping is!!

If you love your deer, black bears, turkeys, quail, rabbits, squirrels, Warblers, Indigo Buntings, Monarch Butterflies, "Mountain Boomers", let the fuggin' hogs pass on MO public ground!!

X-VERMINATOR

Not all of us have only "private hunting" experience... wink

My job that I mentioned was in NM, where there was mostly Natl. Forest and BLM. It is also one of the recent areas to be advanced in hog habitat, where there were no hogs before. I actually drafted and came up with a hog eradication program that was adopted by means and method by the National Forest Service, Lincoln Natl. Forest, and thus created a permanent position that was filled in the Wildlife Services dept for a hog control specialist.

Are hogs different in private and public lands?..LOL. I've never even seen a hog in Missouri. But I didn't know they were any different.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

yes, several. and it's usually a cncerted effort coordinated through the govt that does it.

Here's a recent one
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...ompletion-on-alaska-2015sep24-story.html

recreational hunting, or shooting predators or other animals at moments of opportunity doesn't hurt the population. it is well established science. the only thing that could be used to refute that is the virtual erradication of Bison from North america, but even then it was due to over harvest of a large animal that had little place to hide, and was strongly encouraged by the govt in an effort to starve indigenous populations to then control them. but even then, we still have bison wink being wrong and ignorant might make you feel high and mighty, but you'll still be an ignorant fool if you are told repeatedly something yet choose to believe the opposite, might even make you a democrat!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ain't ever gonna root out all the hogs from the Ozarks. Hell, the MDC maps that show the location of hogs in Missouri has been outdated for at least two years. Hogs have expanded their range into new areas and the MDC isn't even aware of where the new encroachment of hogs is. MDC estimates 50,000 hogs in the Ozarks, that has to be a light estimate based off their maps, and last year with trapping and helicopter hunting the MDC killed around 9,000. With hog reproduction rates they aren't holding their heads above the wave. Turning tax paying hunters into criminals isn't helping the cause. Especially considering the USFS says it's ok to hunt hogs on the Mark Twain NF. It's a cluster [bleep] and only gonna get worse. In the meantime most of us Ozark hillbillies quietly shoot hogs when and wherever we encounter them MDC be damned.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hanco, Savage 99s are addictive. The good news is that there is a support group here comprised of very knowledgeable enablers. LOL

So long as someone makes money on them, they will still be there.
Gross over-simplification.

There are two kinds of ranches in Texas - those that have hogs and those that are going to get them.

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Reading about 99’s on here made me want one. I was wrong about how many have crept in the gun safes. It was 5 not 4. Those 99’s are sneaky!!

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MOGC
Ain't ever gonna root out all the hogs from the Ozarks. Hell, the MDC maps that show the location of hogs in Missouri has been outdated for at least two years. Hogs have expanded their range into new areas and the MDC isn't even aware of where the new encroachment of hogs is. MDC estimates 50,000 hogs in the Ozarks, that has to be a light estimate based off their maps, and last year with trapping and helicopter hunting the MDC killed around 9,000. With hog reproduction rates they aren't holding their heads above the wave. Turning tax paying hunters into criminals isn't helping the cause. Especially considering the USFS says it's ok to hunt hogs on the Mark Twain NF. It's a cluster [bleep] and only gonna get worse. In the meantime most of us Ozark hillbillies quietly shoot hogs when and wherever we encounter them MDC be damned.

Your information is outdated by about two years.
My latest Missouri Conservationist magazine, April, has the most recent numbers.
They eliminated 9,365 feral hogs in 2018 and 6,561 in 2017.
In over 20 years of unregulated hunting the feral hog population spread into over 30 Missouri counties.
In the past 30 years they have expanded from 17 to over 38 states.
Unregulated hunting has not been working.

Every year MDC publishes the latest update on feral hogs. Last year they said that large corral type traps dropped overhead has been found the most effective on catching the whole bunch at once.

Last edited by BOWSINGER; 04/18/19.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not sure, but I’m willing to give it a go with the Muzzies

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There are some things about Missouri's Wildlife Code I do not like (I grew up there, and go back to hunt often). To whit, "Things that are not specifically ALLOWED by the WIldlife Code are prohibited" which is antithetical to freedom and liberty

In other words, if MDC doesn't specifically say you can do it, you can't legally do it. That isn't American, in my book.

This hog situation isn't much different, really. They can't get the job done, and they aren't going to let you get it done, either. Woe be unto you if you do, however.

I grew up in Northern Missouri, and didn't travel to the Ozarks much. The last time I was through there, driving I-44, I did see a sow and her litter just off the highway, about 50 miles east of Springfield. I was coming back from a funeral, and wasn't armed appropriately to shoot them (and wouldn't, off the highway and all that), but if I'd had a good rifle, I could have taken out several, since they were out in the open and quite a distance from any concealment.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
There are some things about Missouri's Wildlife Code I do not like (I grew up there, and go back to hunt often). To whit, "Things that are not specifically ALLOWED by the WIldlife Code are prohibited" which is antithetical to freedom and liberty

In other words, if MDC doesn't specifically say you can do it, you can't legally do it. That isn't American, in my book.

This hog situation isn't much different, really. They can't get the job done, and they aren't going to let you get it done, either. Woe be unto you if you do, however.

I grew up in Northern Missouri, and didn't travel to the Ozarks much. The last time I was through there, driving I-44, I did see a sow and her litter just off the highway, about 50 miles east of Springfield. I was coming back from a funeral, and wasn't armed appropriately to shoot them (and wouldn't, off the highway and all that), but if I'd had a good rifle, I could have taken out several, since they were out in the open and quite a distance from any concealment.

Got to disagree. Missouri with their small code book of what you can do compared with the thick bibles of all the things that you can't do in other states.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My neighbors and I have not eliminated hogs but have reduced them to a lower level than anywhere else in several miles proximity by using night shooting, day shooting, and traps, all used with unrelenting pressure. We keep cameras out and keep a lookout constantly for signs of hog damage from new hogs drifting in. We shoot or trap them immediately. The cameras tell us what time to expect our unwanted visitors. I can promise you that even though we still have a few hogs the most well intentioned government program can't match our efforts . The worst method of hog control is hunting them with dogs as that seems to disperse them all over the country while killing very few. A lot of the dog people aren't interested in eliminating hogs and in fact transport and transplant them seemingly in hopes of creating hog populations in new areas to hunt.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Hastings

My neighbors and I have not eliminated hogs but have reduced them to a lower level than anywhere else in several miles proximity by using night shooting, day shooting, and traps, all used with unrelenting pressure. We keep cameras out and keep a lookout constantly for signs of hog damage from new hogs drifting in. We shoot or trap them immediately. The cameras tell us what time to expect our unwanted visitors. I can promise you that even though we still have a few hogs the most well intentioned government program can't match our efforts . The worst method of hog control is hunting them with dogs as that seems to disperse them all over the country while killing very few. A lot of the dog people aren't interested in eliminating hogs and in fact transport and transplant them seemingly in hopes of creating hog populations in new areas to hunt.

what a good coordinated effort may be reducing several of them it's also teaching them the area to be wary of and driving them on to other places. I to shoot everyone I see but do not allow people to constantly hump them because it moves them out and makes them harder to deal with here in Missouri or the bad part is you got the Ozark Mountain region which is fairly rough country but we're now getting the hogs in good Farm country and the destroying thousands of dollars worth of stuff in a few short days because of people hunt them in the Rough Country and drive them to other places

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
I to shoot everyone I see but do not allow people to constantly hump them because it moves them out and makes them harder to deal with here in Missouri
Humping hogs should be illegal everywhere even Appalachia.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I to shoot everyone I see but do not allow people to constantly hump them because it moves them out and makes them harder to deal with here in Missouri

Lmao that talk-to-text will bite me every time

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Lmao that talk-to-text will bite me every time

I figured that's what happened, but it would still be a good idea to put that off limits. Might end up with an even worse hybrid than the Russian boar.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

LOL !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hanco, Savage 99s are addictive. The good news is that there is a support group here comprised of very knowledgeable enablers. LOL

So long as someone makes money on them,https://forum.gon.com/forums/-/mark-read?date=1555616129 they will still be there.

There are two kinds of ranches in Texas - those that have hogs and those that are going to get them.

T.S.

Ah huh. I see.

"So long as someone makes money on them, there are two kinds of ranches in Texas - those that have hogs and those that are going to get them."

Like that better?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My latest Missouri Conservationist magazine, April, has the most recent numbers.
In over 20 years of unregulated hunting the feral hog population spread into over 30 Missouri counties.

Every year MDC publishes the latest update on feral hogs. Last year they said that large corral type traps dropped overhead has been found the most effective on catching the whole bunch at once.

My information is outdated by two years? How many hogs did I say MDC killed last year? And how many did you say they killed? About the same number, right?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

So long as someone makes money on them,https://forum.gon.com/forums/-/mark-read?date=1555616129 they will still be there.

T.S.

Ah huh. I see.

"So long as someone makes money on them, there are two kinds of ranches in Texas - those that have hogs and those that are going to get them."

Like that better?

There are many factors at play well beyond the practice of charging people to "hunt" them. Commercial pig hunting is a very small enterprise in Texas. If those operations were shut down, we would still be overrun by pigs.

You know not of what you speak.

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
if i wanted to board a delta jet from the ATL and fly to big D, and rent a car, where could i go to hunt pigs to help the landowners without having to pay a fee?

i think such an opportunity is non-existent.

pay to play, or some such.

is there a list of farmers soliciting help?

maybe there should be, or not?

maybe there's a bit of PR, and propaganda involved?

is this really a problem, or a bunch of media hype?

i think the rank & file doest complain too much.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As long as feral hogs have a single place of sanctuary, you will have a problem.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Gus
if i wanted to board a delta jet from the ATL and fly to big D, and rent a car, where could i go to hunt pigs to help the landowners without having to pay a fee?

I would estimate there’s over 1/2 million acres of public land open to pig hunting within 3 hours of dfw airport. Off the top of my head I can think of one National grassland and 3 national forests. All huntable for less than $100 I licenses and permits. Hunting does little or nothing to lessen the population. It just makes them more skittish and harder to hunt or trap. We may shoot 2-4 pigs a week for a week or two and then they’re going to hold up in the biggest thicket they can find and you may not get another shot at one for a month no matter how much you hunt

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Got to disagree. Missouri with their small code book of what you can do compared with the thick bibles of all the things that you can't do in other states.

Not at all the truth. Kentucky (for example) states that unless it's specifically prohibited, it's allowed. That's diametrically opposed to what the MDC Wildlife Code says. Words mean things, and your interpretation is considerably "off" from that.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B

Not at all the truth. Kentucky (for example) states that unless it's specifically prohibited, it's allowed. That's diametrically opposed to what the MDC Wildlife Code says. Words mean things, and your interpretation is considerably "off" from that.

I have never seen a Wildlife code book as simple as Missouri. Show me.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The fact that most of the hunting in Texas is on private land is frustrating for those from other regions. Landowners want to know whomever hunts on their property to be assured that no damage will be done,laws broken or careless handling of firearms that create a needless liability. The first step is to develop an acquaintance with the landowner as I suspect it is elsewhere. KellyWK is correct that there is huntable public land in Texas. Also there is no season or take limit. Lots of people hunt hogs for free down here on ranches .

One problem is that hogs come and go. There are plenty hogs where I hunt but I can't tell you where they are going to be at any point in time. I may see them for weeks and then they're gone for months. With the paid hog hunt operations, the hogs are usually contained on large tracts and fed regularly. Otherwise, most hogs are killed as targets of opportunity by landowners or by deer hunters hunting during deer season. Pigs are plenty smart and will modify their behavior to avoid threats. They are also omnivorous and will eat pretty much anything. On the plus side, they eat snakes.

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I wonder what the story is on the isolated counties in Montanna and the UP? Tough winters.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A couple of years ago, I saw a trap that hanco had made, he was definitely getting results !! So I took his advice and built a corral trap. This photo should explain it all ....

When the deer start dropping fawns, I wire the trigger back and leave the gate where the hogs have to push to get into it. You can't argue with results, and we don't separate any does from fawns this way.

Attached Images
full trap (22) Mar 23 2018 resize.JPG (64.32 KB, 32 downloads)

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I live in Southern Missouri

I don't hunt hogs but I have and will continue to shoot hogs on sight

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

LOL !

Pigs with “raw ass” are harder to hunt I’d imagine.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My information is outdated by two years? How many hogs did I say MDC killed last year? And how many did you say they killed? About the same number, right?

So?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tedthorn

It's ridiculous that during firearms deer season with 400,000 orange clad hunters in the field that it is illegal to shoot a hog.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by oldgunsmith
A couple of years ago, I saw a trap that hanco had made, he was definitely getting results !! So I took his advice and built a corral trap. This photo should explain it all ....

When the deer start dropping fawns, I wire the trigger back and leave the gate where the hogs have to push to get into it. You can't argue with results, and we don't separate any does from fawns this way.

[quote=oldgunsmith]A couple of years ago, I saw a trap that hanco had made, he was definitely getting results !! So I took his advice and built a corral trap. This photo should explain it all ....

Damn!! You caught a bunch. I made it to lease about 3:30. I set 4 round traps and a cage trap. We will see if I catch any.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

It's ridiculous that during firearms deer season with 400,000 orange clad hunters in the field that it is illegal to shoot a hog.

I don't think that is the case.

Maybe on certain public lands. But not the majority of the state.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is the case on MDC managed land. Also now on most lands managed by the Fed's in Missouri. The Forest Service is a hold out so far but that will change too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's not so bad.
Provided you limit yourself to upright hogs.
The ones that walk horizontal are off limits.

Doggie style is fine also.
Just not with dogs.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 04/18/19.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder what the story is on the isolated counties in Montanna and the UP? Tough winters.
I've been watching the UP temperatures this winter and Ishpeming has been colder than Fairbanks AK most of the winter. I would think the Russian boars that somebody imported into Louisiana a few years ago could make it in a very cold environment if food was available. They will eat just about anything. After all if they really did originate in Russia it's pretty darn cold there. The ones we kill have a very thick mat of hair and they have bred all the visible piney wood rooter and domestic traits out of our hogs. Apparently the Russians take over the breeding when they move in.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

I don't think that is the case.

Maybe on certain public lands. But not the majority of the state.

Shooting should not be hunting should be

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Gus

Dumb sob like you is why I don't want anyone near my place

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

I have never seen a Wildlife code book as simple as Missouri. Show me.

You just quoted exactly the difference, Missouri says it's prohibited UNLESS they allow it, and Kentucky says it's allowed UNLESS they specifically prohibit it. If you cannot figure out the difference between the two, there's no hope for you.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Gus

Dumb sob like you is why I don't want anyone near my place

lol. use to really enjoy muzzle loader hunts for hogs on cumberland island nat'l seashore. those park service guys made it clear they didn't want no wildhorses shot either.

they did allow us to carry a high-powered sidearm to add to the ML long-gun, just in case. i allus carried a ruger SRH, and did most of my harvesting with it.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Got 23 this weekend

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Man, you are getting right with it, aren't you?

The "russian boars" are not taking over the breeding, but domestic animals will revert back to "type" in relatively few generations, looking just like their wild ancestors. The domestic traits are negatives in a wild environment, and will breed out relatively quickly.

As far as controlling hogs, perhaps we can take a look at how the Euro's do things. Let's begin with agreeing there's a bit of water in the Netherlands where I grew up? Still, hogs are controlled successfully by hunters - they have to because the hunting lease contracts state that the hunter is responsible for the damage done by hogs.

Control (not eradication, but control) is achieved by making a specific hunter or "club" of hunters that leases a tract responsible for any wildlife damage, The hogs are shot from blinds, spotlighted at night, or through substantial drives that funnel the hogs into shooting lanes. Being part of the "drive" is a community thing, and there are many more drivers than hunters. Dogs are basically unheard of, other than in tracking dogs to retrieve "shot sick" animals. Drives typically take place in patterns that have been set for generations and have been proven to move the hogs in a way that puts them in the shooting lanes. The same hunters, or more usually "clubs", lease the same tracts for decades, so hunters have in depth knowledge of the terrain and wildlife. Leases come with pretty strict responsibilities as far as controlling vermin and wildlife damage of all kinds. Typically you'll see between 10 and 15 "guns" on a drive, several dozen drivers, and a few dog men for recovery. Afterwards, everyone goes to the local tavern, where food, drink and song are in abundance and a good time is had by all for the rest of the day.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice summary of local tradition, Dutch. Thanks for sharing.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like the” Good time is had by all part”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah... that's not workable on the millions of acres of rough public ground in the Ozarks.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Hogs thrive in rough areas, they can shoot up a steep incline like they have a rocket in their ass when you start shooting. I don’t know if they can run as fast as a deer, but they can cover a lot of ground quick.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

http://www.themeateater.com/listen/meateater/ep-088-conservation-through-eradication

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Dutch

Man, you are getting right with it, aren't you?

The "russian boars" are not taking over the breeding, but domestic animals will revert back to "type" in relatively few generations, looking just like their wild ancestors. The domestic traits are negatives in a wild environment, and will breed out relatively quickly.

As far as controlling hogs, perhaps we can take a look at how the Euro's do things. Let's begin with agreeing there's a bit of water in the Netherlands where I grew up? Still, hogs are controlled successfully by hunters - they have to because the hunting lease contracts state that the hunter is responsible for the damage done by hogs.

Control (not eradication, but control) is achieved by making a specific hunter or "club" of hunters that leases a tract responsible for any wildlife damage, The hogs are shot from blinds, spotlighted at night, or through substantial drives that funnel the hogs into shooting lanes. Being part of the "drive" is a community thing, and there are many more drivers than hunters. Dogs are basically unheard of, other than in tracking dogs to retrieve "shot sick" animals. Drives typically take place in patterns that have been set for generations and have been proven to move the hogs in a way that puts them in the shooting lanes. The same hunters, or more usually "clubs", lease the same tracts for decades, so hunters have in depth knowledge of the terrain and wildlife. Leases come with pretty strict responsibilities as far as controlling vermin and wildlife damage of all kinds. Typically you'll see between 10 and 15 "guns" on a drive, several dozen drivers, and a few dog men for recovery. Afterwards, everyone goes to the local tavern, where food, drink and song are in abundance and a good time is had by all for the rest of the day.

LMFAO

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I remember listening to a Meateater Podcast where they were interviewing a fella in Texas that traps hogs and sends to a processing plant..... I think he had around 2500 in one of his best seasons. Management needs to be well thought out and studied.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las

Well, yeah.

Dusky Canadas?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10ring1, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,288 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,247
Posts18,466,921
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.