Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I am touching up some frame rust on a 2006 Tacoma. It lived in Boone NC for 6 years and evidently they use more road salt then even the northern states. I took it first to the dealer who told me that it was just cosmetic and I told him to put that in writing(he did) . I used it this morning(right behind the a frame both sides) and it appears to be pretty easy to use. I am probably looking at another quart or 2 to finish it up. I plan on coating the entire frame inside and out. rear axle and crossmembers next.

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Given the general quality and rust issues of the Tacoma frames of that vintage, I would be leery that it was 'just cosmetic'. Good luck with the POR 15.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It might prevent more rust but sure won't fix steel already rusted through.

That said, I'd like to know how well it works. I have a few items that could use something like that if it works.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by K1500
Given the general quality and rust issues of the Tacoma frames of that vintage, I would be leery that it was 'just cosmetic'. Good luck with the POR 15.

Nope, it is cosmetic. surface rust , no penetration. While I was doing it the UPS guy came up and told me that if I decided to sell he would instantly buy it. He looked at the frame and said it was not an issue. When I first noticed it I contacted Toyota and they told me to bring it to the dealer for evaluation. It has gone thru a few evaluations since then and they have signed off on it not being an issue. (they were looking for it rusting thru the frame)

So far really easy to apply. looks great

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A body man supposedly used it in the rust prone areas of my Bronco when I had it painted about 15 years ago. If he actually did it ain’t worth a scheit, had rust and bubbling paint again in less than 3 months. I’m not thinking he actually did though since he was a hack.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by TheKid
A body man supposedly used it in the rust prone areas of my Bronco when I had it painted about 15 years ago. If he actually did it ain’t worth a scheit, had rust and bubbling paint again in less than 3 months. I’m not thinking he actually did though since he was a hack.

He might have just painted the sealant over the rust and took the lazy way out. I know people that have used it before and it does work. Application is the key. I am not sure if it was around 15 years ago

It is pretty hard to not see a Truck ,Car in Boone NC that does not have rust issues, IDGAF what brand it is. I mean really bad rust in most cases.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
How are you applying the POR15 and how did you prep the frame?

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sauer200
How are you applying the POR15 and how did you prep the frame?

I bought the sample kit that comes with the POR15 1 container of degreaser and metal prep. I wire wheeled and hand brushed off as much loose rust as I could, sprayed on the degreaser ,waited 15 minutes and hosed it off and then let it dry. I then used the metal prep on it and repeated the same procedure. It took about 2 hours to completely dry out and then I painted on the POR. It took the POR about 2 hours to setup , dry to the touch but I might have lathered on a lot.

I thought it would be a PITA but actually not bad at all. In the instructions they call for using it with 50% humidity or less. I think we were at that or maybe a little less today. I am going to buy another quart which should finish it and more metal prep and degreaser.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had a 2006 double cab bought it new had rust on the frame after 1 year and it never got any worse. I would keep an eye on it.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by TOPCATHR
I had a 2006 double cab bought it new had rust on the frame after 1 year and it never got any worse. I would keep an eye on it.

Yeah this is just surface rust and has not changed in a few years. There is no body shop around here that will treat rust either. They must all be north of the Mason Dixon as per Toyota HQ

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I used POR 15 in the battery compartment of my excavator. The floor of the battery compartment was very rusty due to a combination of the previous owner's neglect, water and battery acid. I followed the POR 15 instructions and it has worked great for the past 3 years.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I used it on a Land Cruiser rebuild a few years ago. I sold the vehicle a few years after that and it was fine then. I will use it again should the need arise.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i used it on a POS dodge ram POS oil pan on the POS. did i mention the dodge was a POS? anyway, i followed the instructions and did the oil pan on the POS and it was the only thing on the whole POS dodge that didn't rot. fuggen dodge POS is probably down to the axles in a boneyard by now with a nice oil pan.

My diploma is a DD214

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (222ND, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.