Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've got a new stainless New Bearcat.
Functions great but the cylinder will lock up shooting bulk Golden Bullets.
No problems with the other 4 or 5 ammo brands I've tried.

Since it's new the trigger is really stiff.
Only about 300 rounds through it so far but I was not too impressed with the accuracy.

Decided to try it rested from the bench at 25 yards.

Shooting CCI standard velocity, MiniMags, and Winchester bulk, it was shooting about 6 inches low at 25 yards.
From 10 yards Weaver stance, about 3 inches low.
Windage was not bad.

Should I file the front sight or wait until the trigger has smoothed up some and try again?

Thanks.

Last edited by mini14jac; 04/10/19.

<><
HE>i
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The only way to get the gun to shoot is change the front sight to the point of impact. If is shoots low, you have to lower it. Just remember that steel is like rope, you can cut it a bunch of times, but you can never lengthen it again...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
OMG! Ignore that last post. Let hope he fixes it.

No reason to wait on the trigger. You obviously need to shoot from a good rest.

YES. You have to file the front sight. I suggest you try CCI standard velocity and mini-mags and see which is closer. Then file enough to get that load close. I would then make up the difference by holding with the blade a little high. The only bearcat that would interest me is the Lipsey with adjustable sights. This is so typical. At least the gun shoots low which is the best you could hope for.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mini14jac,

I had a Stainless Bearcat, neat & trim guns... did not think much of the accuracy until I found the ammo it liked (CCI Blazer for my revolver) which it shot quite well.

I would continue to try different ammunition until I found what it likes, and then correct the front sight.

No reason to wait on the trigger, and as fourbore said you need to shoot from a good rest.

Remington has not made good rimfire ammunition for 40 years, I would not waste my time with it.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 04/11/19.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thanks guys,

It was shooting decent groups, just low.
After thinking about it, since it's only a few weeks old, I called Ruger.

The nice lady said I should let their techs take a look at it, so she sent me a prepaid shipping label.

It's on the way back to the mothership.

I will update when I get it back.

<><
HE>i
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first one shot just a bit to one side and I compensated by holding the blade to one side in the notch. Second one had serious timing and lockup issues that took two trips back home to get fixed, but shot right to the sights. It finally went to finance a S&W 63, a much better gun for my use, though the Bearcat was a very nice little gun, one of the best-finished Ruger handguns I've seen.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I owned one of those briefly back in the late 80's. Shot well enough to dispatch a car-struck kitten I came upon, and then had the old lady cat owner called the cops for wantonly killing poor Fluffy. (The cop sized up the situation pretty quickly and merely asked to see my carry permit, and 5 minutes later I was in cuffs in the backseat. Kidding! Five minutes later he and I were on our merry ways.)

I owned a Colt .22 SA at the same time and since the Colt was way better all-around, the Ruger took a hike.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 04/11/19.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mini14jac
Thanks guys,

The nice lady said I should let their techs take a look at it, so she sent me a prepaid shipping label.

In your post yesterday you stated you were not too impressed with the accuracy but now you say it shoots decent groups? Which is it. Golden bullets suck so quick using them and no more cylinder issue. No idea of your experience level with handguns but it is not uncommon to shoot low and to the left with improper technique and jerking the trigger. Possible find someone else with handgun experience and let them have a go on a couple targets. If the consensus is that it does indeed hit low, then file off a little at a time from sight, checking often and when adequately on target go shoot the schitt out of it and enjoy it, Guess I don't just understand sending it off when you can take charge and easily address the issue.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In a nutshell...they are Dog Schit JUNK,from inception to current guise.

Pass the 3" 317 and adjustable sights.

Hint...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
My first one shot just a bit to one side and I compensated by holding the blade to one side in the notch. Second one had serious timing and lockup issues that took two trips back home to get fixed, but shot right to the sights. It finally went to finance a S&W 63, a much better gun for my use, though the Bearcat was a very nice little gun, one of the best-finished Ruger handguns I've seen.

If you don't find satisfaction with the Ruger, this ^^^^ is the route I would go as well. Have had two S&W M63's. Both very reliable. Both more accurate than the nut behind the trigger. Current one is not going anywhere...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Remington bulk ammo absolutely sucks!

With all the different variety of great.22 ammo available today, I’d try every variety I could until I found one that’s accurate and shoots to POA before I started filing down the sights.

Unfortunately, that’s just part of the deal when buying a gun with fixed sights. 🤠

And I bet someone out their makes a spring kit for the Ruger Bearcat trigger. They are neat little revolvers.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Originally Posted by mini14jac
Thanks guys,

In your post yesterday you stated you were not too impressed with the accuracy but now you say it shoots decent groups? Which is it. Golden bullets suck so quick using them and no more cylinder issue. No idea of your experience level with handguns but it is not uncommon to shoot low and to the left with improper technique and jerking the trigger. Possible find someone else with handgun experience and let them have a go on a couple targets. If the consensus is that it does indeed hit low, then file off a little at a time from sight, checking often and when adequately on target go shoot the schitt out of it and enjoy it, Guess I don't just understand sending it off when you can take charge and easily address the issue.

I wasn't impressed with the accuracy, as in: I had a hard time hitting plinking targets.
So I sat down at the bench and rested the gun on sandbags.
Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
That's when I saw OK groups, but very low.

As far as sending it in, it was free since it's a new gun.
If the Ruger technicians take too much off the front sight, they will make it right.
If I took too much off, I'm not sure that would have been covered under warranty.
I have screwed up a few guns in the past. shocked

And I do have a S&W 63.
It's the 3" model, 63-5.
Very pleased with that gun.
If fires Golden Bullets and everything else.

During the same range trip I fired it from the bench also.
(I've had it several years, but never fired it farther than 10 yards.)
It was a little low, but not as bad as the Bearcat.
Since it has adjustable sights, it was easy to get it dialed in.

Thanks for all the input.

Last edited by mini14jac; 04/14/19.

<><
HE>i
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
My bearcat has the same issue with Remington ammo. That ammo sucks. There are some loads it loves more than others but it's never been horrible with anything and does very well with what it likes. After owning mine long enough to know I liked it I sent it off to Dave Clements for a trigger job, flat top adjustable rear sight conversion and a new front sight. Now the gun really shines. This was before they offered the adjustable sight option for them. I still like the Clements job as it looks much better imho. Either way they make for some wonderful little kit guns.

Last edited by pabucktail; 04/16/19.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have a 63 and it shoots fine even with Thunderbolts. I thought the Lipseys special Bearcat was interesting and the way I'd go if looking for a small SA revolver. Rugers are usually good ,sorry you got a lemon. Good luck MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The posts about changing ammo are all spot on .......and I would add another one. Experiment with 40g and 36g ammo and see if that affects the accuracy. I know that in many rimfire autos that change will help the functioning but it might be helpful in your Bearcat.

My Bearcat is one of the most super cool lookin' shooters I have.................only wished that it was more accurate. Mine will shoot 8-10" groups at 25 yards off benched bags with all types of ammo and different weights too. I'm keeping it just because it has the cool look.

My other rimfires, both auto and revolvers, will all shoot rings and rings around the Bearcat. A Ruger 6.75" blued competition auto is amazingly accurate. So I've decided that if I really want to hit stuff, like in hunting, its the Competition Ruger. But if it's out for tickles and grins the Bearcat is fun.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Big Stick
In a nutshell...they are Dog Schit JUNK,from inception to current guise.

Pass the 3" 317 and adjustable sights.

Hint...........

Is 3” why she left? Hahahaha😂

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,755 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.