-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey all you Missouri hunters how was opening day today. While I was driving to work today there were at least a couple of you guys either bagging your bird or at least in the field trying to call one in. Let’s hear the stories. I myself am going fri morning and sat.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not in Missouri, but the opener in Kentucky was Saturday, and I've had zero luck. The turkeys just aren't in the places I usually hunt. I've got other options, and guess I'm going to have to hunt them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dad hunted yesterday and this morning. Said birds were really vocal yesterday and pretty quiet today.

He killed a bird this morning and said the Tom came in clucking, never gobbled.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
wish I could go out in MN....

Good luck MO guys... and show us something.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I’m headed out tomorrow after work, will hunt fri morning, I hope I have something better than my ass to show you after fri. My camera lens only shoots so wide.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in Missouri, but will drive an hour and half to Kansas to hunt the sunrise on Saturday morning. I've got access to several friends' farms here in Missouri, but just never have hunted them.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It is official, I am the worse turkey caller in the state of Missouri. Had Toms yesterday and today but would not come in and show them selves. Had 3 deer this morning graze within 15 ft of me. After a bit I just turned my head and looked at them. All three crapped themselves and jumped a mile high.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunted this morning for the first time this season. Some gobbling around but none on the place I was hunting.

A Jake showed up and hung around in the field to the north of the fence row I was set up in. About 9 o'clock I heard a gobble a little over a hundred yards to my left and in front of me. 10-15 minutes go by and another gobble but closer.

I started watching the timber where I figured he would show up to look out in the field I was watching over.

[Linked Image]

You can see a fence post directly over his head. That is the only opening in a long woven wire fence, the only easy place for turkeys to get through. They seem to know exactly where this is.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 04/20/19.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
24#, 10" beard and 1 5/16" spurs. My best spurs to date.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
10 ga that is a legit boss Tom, congrats.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
10gauge------Looks like those "baby mags" work !! I'm taking credit for that gobbler. Bob

Real nice bird !!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since I live in Missouri, this applies right?

Legal time was 6:12 am where dad and I were in southeast Kansas Saturday morning. We parked about 6:00, questioned each other on where to set up, then heard a gobble. Started rushing to that side of the field, set up on a point that gave us a view across the field as well as a bit up into a little neck. Hadn't more than set the decoy and sat in my seat than heard another gobble, about 50 yards behind us. Looked at clock, it was 6:10. Let out a single yelp. Gobble, and fly down. Another gobble behind us. A minute later, he too flew down. Both just jakes with about 4" of beard. They started walking away from us, but a yelp on the boxcall at my side had them fanned out and strutting. So what if they were jakes, they all look the same in the ziplock bag. I shot the first one, then dad popped the other. Signing tags at 6:15.

My boy had shot a mature Tom on the Kansas opener, but this was the first time he had been out and actually clearly heard gobbling, watched the fly down, heard some calling and the reaction. At least I think he saw it, in between turning pages of the book he brought to read......

Also, for $20 at Wal-mart, those fold up camp chair things with stubby 3" legs are worth every penny. No more sitting on wet ground, no more sitting on a short stool with nothing comfortable to lean back on. These things were awesome.

Walmart Mossy oak turkey chair

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colorado bob
10gauge------Looks like those "baby mags" work !! I'm taking credit for that gobbler. Bob

Real nice bird !!

That was actually my 10 gauge so no baby mag there but I did load some stuff in the truck tonight so I could pattern my 1100 30" full with those little shells I bought from you.

Hoping I get the chance to use one of em on another bird this weekend.

Thanks for the compliment too.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dang 10ga I somehow missed your pics of that guy. He's some stud for sure. It appears we did the deed 1 day apart. Maybe that'll be a tradition. Your BPS that shows is a match to mine but I probly killed my last bird with it a couple years back. Even Proported it kicks me like a blue eyed mule. If ever I'm to shoot it again it'll need a much, much better recoil pad than the rock Browning puts on. Did you or anyone else do that? If so tell me about it. Thx

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tomorrow is the last day of our spring season, headed out in the morning for one more try. Hope to be able to post some pics tomorrow even if it is only a Jake.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nothing!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's how it goes sometimes.

May be better for you next year.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
There is always fall

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes there is. Haven't fall hunted for about 15 years. Need to get back into it.

Usually just bowhunt but may grab the shotgun and give it a whirl again this fall.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
10, nice bird!!! our season has about 10 days left... Hope to get out, but the wife is having some issues so hope they resolve and I can get some time away... Gobbler hunting for me is quite a trek.. Elk are close, but not gobblers...

Molon Labe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.