Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
222ND Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If cost was not a factor, which one is best? Shooting will take place in the same spot each time(30’ from the house). Multiple rifles will be tested. I’ve used magneto speed and have no complaints. A buddy is debating which one to get and we haven’t personally dealt with a lab radar user.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thirty feet from the house? Oehler. Setting up at a busy range? MS or Labradar, Labradar if you have a relatively thick wallet and/or don't want group size or POI effected by something hanging off the end of your barrel. MS if all you want is to check MV now and then for anecdotal reasons- that's why I went with MS.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Get the Labradar. You don't have one and we are talking about spending your buddy's money after all!

Last edited by woodmaster81; 04/17/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
LabRadar- there’s no reason not to get velocity and accuracy data at the same time. The MS will only give you velocity. You might as well be shooting into a bullet trap.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The downside of LabRadar is that you're much more likely to miss a reading in my experience. Otherwise it's nice for getting accuracy data too.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
The downside of LabRadar is that you're much more likely to miss a reading in my experience. Otherwise it's nice for getting accuracy data too.

How is the LabRadar more likely to give false readings?

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
He said miss.

The Labradar does occasionally decide to miss shots. I’m not sure if it’s placement or what, but it happens. Magnetospeed rarely, if ever, misses. MS allows me to shoot into a trap by house where I don’t have a range. Both are very good, and while I prefer the Labradar overall, I won’t be selling my MS.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Magneto Speed

I have mine rigged on a pedestal as a stand alone unit. It never drops a shot. It works in rain, snow, sleet, sun or low light.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Labradar. All day long.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Labradar without a doubt. Honestly, the only reason not to go this route would be cost. All of the other choices are a compromise. The aiming issue is way overblown and you will figure it out after the first few shots on your first range session. I will post 4 to 6 targets side by side at 100 yds and rotate through shooting five or six rifles without touching the LR and it doesn't miss any shots. Period. I'm shooting all bolt guns from .222 to .416 and position the unit about 15" to the side and a bit behind the muzzle. I did cheap out on the baseplate and made my own out of 3/4' plywood but after around 10 range sessions I haven't had any issues. Setup time is less than 5 minutes at the start of the session and after that there is nothing else necessary to do until you are done shooting - no adjusting for each rifle, no worry about shooting the thing, no strapping some gizmo to the end of each rifle barrel and then swapping between rifles, and best of all shooting for accuracy while collecting velocity data at the same time. I won't deny that the cost is considerably more than the other options, especially when you add in the other necessary accessories (battery pack, ball mount, hard case, baseplate) but if you are serious about load development and care about what speed you are shooting there is only one best answer.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Get the Labradar. You don't have one and we are talking about spending your buddy's money after all!

Oh you cynical, cynical man! laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Magneto Speed

I have mine rigged on a pedestal as a stand alone unit. It never drops a shot. It works in rain, snow, sleet, sun or low light.

I’d like to hear more about this.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kingston
Magneto Speed

Me too. That's the one and only downside I have to the Magnetospeed. I'd love to see something easy that doesn't attach to the rifle barrel.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Whatever you decide, you should get two, or a unit that makes two measurements. Redundancy provides not only truth but safety.

I was measuring velocities yesterday. This was ammunition I loaded. I was using an Oehler, System '88. This system measures velocity twice and reports velocity and a "Proof" number. The "Proof" number is the difference between the two velocity measurements. Ideally the proof number should be small. Nobody knowledgeable in the measurement of velocity would expect two readings to always perfectly agree.

Shot 1 2374 proof of 1.4
Shot 2 2385 proof of 1.4
Shot 3 2396 proof of 2.2
Shot 4 3182 proof of 782.7

All chronographs can (and should be expected to) give the occasional false reading. Based on Shot 4 being WAY out of line and the "Proof" value also being WAY out of line, I knew to ignore that data and press on. Looking at the velocity only, Shot 4 appeared to be 786 fps higher than shot 3. However, the "Proof" value is about 780 fps greater than the other "Proof" values. This means the Proof velocity probably read about 2399. That corresponds with shots 1-3. Therefore, it was probably an error in seeing the bullet.

Had I not been making two measurements, I'd have no way of knowing if that was a chronograph error or a reloading error. IF I had a 786 fps jump in velocity, I'd certainly expect that shot to be over pressure. Of course, bolt lift was normal. Casing didn't show signs of excess pressure. But, I've seen 80K psi casings that didn't show signs of excess pressure.

Without the extra reading, what to do? Chance it and shoot another round? Tie the rifle down and pull the trigger with a string? Stop, go home and disassemble the remaining ammunition to ensure I didn't over charge a cartridge?

Nope, the data allowed me to make an informed decision and continue with the project.

That is the reason I prefer making two measurements.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ve thought that a way to attach to the forward sling lug would be very handy. It would need to be very rigid and be adjustable to position precisely. Any carbon fiber experts out there?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob

How is the LabRadar more likely to give false readings?

It's not so much false readings as no readings. It's very dependent on alignment, and the shot detector to tell it when to turn on the radar. Neither aspect is 100% reliable in my experience.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by kingston
Magneto Speed

One way to do it. The main issue is keeping the bayonet lined up with the bore, close enough, but not in the line of fire. It needs to be checked after each shot. Otherwise works pretty well, not influencing groups. Need a long bench. Check this one out. Sacks of deer corn in the truck, Gibraltar drum throne works great for a bench rest seat.

Have never used a LabRadar, think they are neat.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I can post my picture when I get home tonight. Mine is similar to DF's. But, I have an extension rail on mine for short bench tops.

Last edited by Reloder28; 04/18/19.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
222ND Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone know of any kind of a deal out there on the lab radar units?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I remember that now DF. Good pics. I'm plagued with a short bench too though.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,347 guests, and 812 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,241
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.