Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Many believe this a hew part in reducing the deer herd even further along with increasing doe tag allotments in tye WMU's. Not saying I support tjis thought or not. Just v saying what may believe.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by fishdog52
From a guy that has hunted NY and PA for many decades, the change from a Sat opener to Saturday is a BIG deal.
NY shifted to a Saturday opener several years ago. The impact was significant, and not positive.
Deer season has never been simply about hunting, there has always been a huge social side.
Historically, "the guys" would start showing up in camp on Friday.
There was time to cook up a big perch fry,
maybe have a couple extra drinks, and have time to recover
stay up a late night, or two, playing cards,
sight in your firearms,
repair whatever need fixing,
visit other camps,
and generally catch up with old friend and relatives.
Much of this disappeared with the Monday opener. Guys work thru Friday and show up late, a fast food dinner, and out hunting at zero dark thirty. It made a real change for the worse at my camp, as well as several others that I visit.
Lastly, one of the states arguments was that the change would sell more licenses, attract more hunters. Just did not happen.
The population of folks that prize the hunt, with the kill being secondary, continues to decline. The breed just gets grayer, and slowly disappears into the sunset.
Pennsylvania's situation is doubly absurd, open on a Sat, but no hunting on Sunday???
Funny. Everybody I know likes the Saturday opener. The VAST MAJORITY of NY deer hunters don't hunt out of a camp. I love the Saturday opener myself. Had to work too many openers when it was Monday.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TOPCATHR
Im in agreement with Fishdog
Awww, too bad not everything in the whole state revolves around you city f^cks.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have to also agree with Fishdog, Here in Michigan theres talk of going to a Sat. opener also! they think they will sell more tags, they might but instead of staying a week or 3-4 days the guys will come up friday night hunt sat, & sun morining then go home! Tag sales are all ready down 20% last year! our deer hunting is dieing with us Fellows!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Probably because the cost of living has increased by quite a bit in recent years. people can't afford to take a lot of time off.

I don't know, those boys wanted to hunt the Northwoods. One group I knew at one time bought a couple hundred Northwood acres back around 1920 with no road into it. So, they cut their own for around 12 miles, thru State land I might add, try that today. Now they had to take a train which got them only close. The train dropped them off next to the closest road and then a farmer and his mule wagon took them up the mountain and down into the valley on the road they cut and to their land. Stayed in tents until they could get a cabin built. After a couple weeks it reversed and the farmer left them off to wait for a train to take them back to Wilkinsburg.

Eventually the road they cut became the only road up to the top of the mountain. The land they bought is now surrounded by State Forest and the State tried for years to get them out. Eventually a few of them became connected and the State gave up. The camp has been rebuilt a couple times and is top shelf. Most of the new crew are out and gone by Tuesday.

Last edited by battue; 04/17/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

dubePA Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Commissioners have been appointed by a Governor and approved by the Senate for a very long time.

Up until a few years ago, they were eight year appointments. So commissioners tended to serve beyond the tenure of a Governor that had appointed them. Now, their terms are four years, with extensions based on approval of the Senate, IF the Governor puts them up for another term.

That is more political influence than we'd ever had and it was the direct result of malcontents whining to the legislature, demanding they take more control over deer management. So this is the primary cause of the phugged up mess we have now. We now have fewer hunters in the legislature, than at any time since I've been around. They don't know a damn thing about deer or wildlife management, but they do know what it takes to get re-elected: Grease the squeaky wheel that makes all the noise.

I know several of the deer biologists that work for the PGC. All but one of them hunts deer and always has. And every damn one of them spends more time afield, than most of our casual (two or three day) deer hunters do, many of whom think that makes them deer experts..

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dubePA

That is more political influence than we'd ever had and it was the direct result of malcontents whining to the legislature, demanding they take more control over deer management..

And you wonder why
crazy

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Odd that deer season opener is the time to catch up with friends, hang out etc. Seems friends could find time to do that, even if there were no deer season.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
ejo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Saturday openers allow more parents to take their kids afield so they can enjoy opening morning with less schedule conflicts (school). Start hunting whichever day you want. N.Y. moving to Saturday was a great thing for many people. Just a bunch of old farts looking to find something to complain about.

dubePA Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not all that odd, when many of those friends we share deer seasons with each year live near your hunting camp, that's four or more hours from your home and you only see them a few times per year when you're there? If you've been hunting with them in the same places for decades, farmers and others that live near that camp have long ago become friends.

Because not everyone has the same hunting traditions, maybe it's too much to expect someone to figure out what is important to others, if it doesn't happen to fit their idea of how deer seasons are supposed to be enjoyed? Might be a regional thing, or differences from state to state. I wouldn't ridicule how others do things, not really sure why some feel compelled to do that to someone else?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Odd that deer season opener is the time to catch up with friends, hang out etc. Seems friends could find time to do that, even if there were no deer season.

It’s no more odd than getting together with the same family and friends for Thanksgiving or Christmas or Independence Day or Festivus, or ... year in and year out.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ejo
Saturday openers allow more parents to take their kids afield so they can enjoy opening morning with less schedule conflicts (school). Start hunting whichever day you want. N.Y. moving to Saturday was a great thing for many people. Just a bunch of old farts looking to find something to complain about.

The PA Monday opener has traditionally been a school holiday.

I’m not an old fart.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fishdog52
From a guy that has hunted NY and PA for many decades, the change from a Sat opener to Saturday is a BIG deal.
NY shifted to a Saturday opener several years ago. The impact was significant, and not positive.
Deer season has never been simply about hunting, there has always been a huge social side.
Historically, "the guys" would start showing up in camp on Friday.
There was time to cook up a big perch fry,
maybe have a couple extra drinks, and have time to recover
stay up a late night, or two, playing cards,
sight in your firearms,
repair whatever need fixing,
visit other camps,
and generally catch up with old friend and relatives.
Much of this disappeared with the Monday opener. Guys work thru Friday and show up late, a fast food dinner, and out hunting at zero dark thirty. It made a real change for the worse at my camp, as well as several others that I visit.
Lastly, one of the states arguments was that the change would sell more licenses, attract more hunters. Just did not happen.
The population of folks that prize the hunt, with the kill being secondary, continues to decline. The breed just gets grayer, and slowly disappears into the sunset.
Pennsylvania's situation is doubly absurd, open on a Sat, but no hunting on Sunday???

This is spot on.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Yeah wouldn’t even consider what ejo has to say he from California and the people that haven’t grown up in it won’t understand and that is same with this new generation that are going to start hunting now because of Saturday opener

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Commissioners have been appointed by a Governor and approved by the Senate for a very long time.

Up until a few years ago, they were eight year appointments. So commissioners tended to serve beyond the tenure of a Governor that had appointed them. Now, their terms are four years, with extensions based on approval of the Senate, IF the Governor puts them up for another term.

That is more political influence than we'd ever had and it was the direct result of malcontents whining to the legislature, demanding they take more control over deer management. So this is the primary cause of the phugged up mess we have now. We now have fewer hunters in the legislature, than at any time since I've been around. They don't know a damn thing about deer or wildlife management, but they do know what it takes to get re-elected: Grease the squeaky wheel that makes all the noise.

I know several of the deer biologists that work for the PGC. All but one of them hunts deer and always has. And every damn one of them spends more time afield, than most of our casual (two or three day) deer hunters do, many of whom think that makes them deer experts..

You do not know chit Gov. Tom Ridge changed from elected to appointed. And if you do not have your head up the azz of every single person working for the PGC no one does. The only way out of the mess is fire the whole lot of them and combine agencies, then put the positions up for vote without allowing the PFSC to block vote. Go back to HUNTINGPA and spew your nonsense

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Why would being combined with the Fish Commission have any benefit to those who don’t fish. Other States do it that way isn’t a valid reason.

Combining the two would only lead to the next round of back biting about how the money was split.

Last edited by battue; 04/18/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spot on there!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by battue
Why would being combined with the Fish Commission have any benefit to those who don’t fish. Other States do it that way isn’t a valid reason.

Combining the two would only lead to the next round of back biting about how the money was split.

Because almost 100% of all requests for a rate hike a.k.a. lisc. increase is for administrative fees such as meeting employee benefit package via their bargaining union and nothing for actual wildlife/fish programs. Shut them both down reorganize as one unit cutting 1/2 of those fees furthermore a renegotiated union contract that brings health insurance and retirement into today's norm vs. the Cadillac plans that have a choke hold on funds.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Steelhead

It’s no more odd than getting together with the same family and friends for Thanksgiving or Christmas or Independence Day or Festivus, or ... year in and year out.

Yes on the getting together, but if there was no Thanksgiving, Christmas or 4th of July, you're telling me you wouldn't travel to PA to visit family?

So you're saying, half the hunters should agree with you so you can maintain a social calendar? Again, I don't see how changing it changes a damned thing, but I'm not Yankee smart.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Not all that odd, when many of those friends we share deer seasons with each year live near your hunting camp, that's four or more hours from your home and you only see them a few times per year when you're there? If you've been hunting with them in the same places for decades, farmers and others that live near that camp have long ago become friends.

Because not everyone has the same hunting traditions, maybe it's too much to expect someone to figure out what is important to others, if it doesn't happen to fit their idea of how deer seasons are supposed to be enjoyed? Might be a regional thing, or differences from state to state. I wouldn't ridicule how others do things, not really sure why some feel compelled to do that to someone else?

So the answer is make to fight the Game Commission and 1/2 the hunters, so you can maintain a fixed social schedule.

So a Saturday opener means you'll never see them again? If so, who gives a fugg, the weren't that important to begin with.

You gals keep lobbying to have your dance card filled by the government. Hard to believe we've fallen so far that Yankees no depend on government to maintain their friendships.

Funnnnnnnnnnnny stuff

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,790 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.