Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Well my daughter got a Knight Extreme, as we couldn't beat the price.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
tay if you want to try some offer still stands

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Maybe I am just old-fashioned, but I believe she would feel a lot prouder of the kill now, and more so in the future, if she DID use an old fashioned side lock rifle.

Her first elk is something special. Having the memory of using an old style rifle, and maybe having the rifle mounted on top of the hide or set in the antlers is going to be a lot better with a wood stocked side-lock then a plastic stocked scoped gun.

But that's just how I feel. She may not feel that way.

The very best advice I could give it to simply let her try both and ask her what she likes.

Last edited by szihn; 04/17/19.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Id vote one of those Knight Littlehorns. Load some no excuse conicals in it. I have an old mk85 that shoots them very well. Put her a Williams peep on the back and fiber optic firesight on the front. Sweet combo IMO

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 44mc
tay if you want to try some offer still stands

I sent you a PM after you offered the first time, I guess you didn't get it. I'll send another.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by szihn
Maybe I am just old-fashioned, but I believe she would feel a lot prouder of the kill now, and more so in the future, if she DID use an old fashioned side lock rifle.

Her first elk is something special. Having the memory of using an old style rifle, and maybe having the rifle mounted on top of the hide or set in the antlers is going to be a lot better with a wood stocked side-lock then a plastic stocked scoped gun.

She is more interested in getting the job done quickly and humanely more than anything else. My daughter's biggest fear is making a bad shot and having her animal suffer. She's made a bad shot before and had to track a wounded deer over several miles to finish it off, she almost gave up deer hunting. I was able to get her back in the saddle and she made punched three tags in OK without issues and decided she would keep hunting.

Anyway, she was given the Knight rifle for the price of some pictures of her using it hunting. Like I said we couldnt beat the deal, and she's very excited to try this gifted rifle. I'm not sure that using a sidelock would make her feel better, than using a generous gift from a total stranger who just wants to see her succeed.

Last edited by taylorce1; 04/17/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
got that one will mail you some

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thank you!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by taylorce1

She is more interested in getting the job done quickly and humanely more than anything else. My daughter's biggest fear is making a bad shot and having her animal suffer. She's made a bad shot before and had to track a wounded deer over several miles to finish it off, she almost gave up deer hunting. I was able to get her back in the saddle and she made punched three tags in OK without issues and decided she would keep hunting.

Anyway, she was given the Knight rifle for the price of some pictures of her using it hunting. Like I said we couldnt beat the deal, and she's very excited to try this gifted rifle. I'm not sure that using a sidelock would make her feel better, than using a generous gift from a total stranger who just wants to see her succeed.

An excellent gift, a fine gesture, and a Conscientious hunter dedicated to doing the job right the first time. What's not to like? Good luck to the young lady.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
C
The Knight is a good choice. Here is a link to a story about my first hunting trip with my Knight Extreme. https://theolddeerhunters.com/knight-muzzleloader/

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]20190921_084112 by Chad Taylor, on [bleep]

The Knight Extreme and my daughter did a good job in her any bull unit, a buddy called this one in to 37 yards on the third day of the four we allocated for this hunt. This was my daughters second elk hunt but her first successful hunt.

Thanks again Geno (colodog) for the Knight Extreme ML, it worked perfectly.

Sight was a SeeAll MK1 which my daughter really liked.
Load was 100 grains 777 and 250 grain Powerbelt Areolite bullet.

Last edited by taylorce1; 09/24/19.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Awesome job! Hope to do the same when my daughter comes of age. Hopefully she still thinks I’m cool then smile

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That's outstanding!
You've got a huntress in the house and a hunt partner in the field!

I'm in North Carolina now so her hunt makes me feel close to Colorado still!

Thanks for the pics!!!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Originally Posted by TomM1
TC Impact, believe midway has them on sale for $199. The use 209 ignition, has a built in stock spacer you can remove to shorten LOP. Good sights from the factory, made by Williams, fiber optic.

I agree on this one if you want an inline. I have one and with Harvester Crush Rib Sabots and a .452 cast 305 grain bullet and 70 to 100 grains of Pyrodex RS it will shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I use sidelocks and PRB myself, but my 14 year old granddaughter is using the Impact. I bought it used because it was cheap, but it shoots surprisingly well. I think the granddaughter has inherited it. She hasn't tagged a deer yet, but she shoots it well enough that if one gets broadside inside of 125 yards, it will be toast. She's already about 5'7" and has her dad's "condor arms" so we left the spacer in. Her younger sister will probably have to have it removed if she gets it passed down eventually.

I don't think you can go wrong for the price.

Last edited by 30coupe; 11/18/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kellory

An excellent gift, a fine gesture, and a Conscientious hunter dedicated to doing the job right the first time. What's not to like? Good luck to the young lady.

Yep, win/win !!

Awesome.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]20190921_084112 by .com/photos/184646090N06/]Chad Taylor, on [bleep]

The Knight Extreme and my daughter did a good job in her any bull unit, a buddy called this one in to 37 yards on the third day of the four we allocated for this hunt. This was my daughters second elk hunt but her first successful hunt.

Thanks again Geno (colodog) for the Knight Extreme ML, it worked perfectly.

Sight was a SeeAll MK1 which my daughter really liked.
Load was 100 grains 777 and 250 grain Powerbelt Areolite bullet.

WINNING !!

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Kudos Colodog !!

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by colodog
PM incoming

Much respect !!

Paul.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.