Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Seafire
Was over south of Klamath yesterday at an old truck stop just north of the California line..
Said it was from Bonanza on the truckers door... I asked about how were the sage rats doing
and the driver said that he needed to get out there and after them, as they were out for the last two weeks and were already doing a number on his alfalfa as it was coming up...

I gotta find the contact numbers of the several places I shoot on every year...
Since moving last summer I still can't find half my world.. it either being in storage or packed in boxes it got thrown into ..

as soon as this never ending rain clears, they are going to be out just like the leaves on the trees will go from budding to full leaves in a couple of days...the tree huggers have to be stroking themselves over all the rain we've gotten this year......

between the fast growing once the sun stays here and the mud... cutting down access, it may be a short opening season on the little rodents.

Yeah Seafire the grass is growing fast just this week, and the dead grass was tall to begin with. Rat babies just appearing now over here on the Eastern side so we'll see how it goes. I hope you get some chucks while you're down south too.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
GFB,

I'm based over North of Medford.....so I live in this corner of the state...

We live off of what use to be a 9 hope golf course...I've shot 4 VERY big sage rats so far this year, hanging around the yard, and digging deep and big holes and tunnels...these things are big enough to be the size of tree squirrels...

all 4 where shot after they scampered down a hole, on a creek bank...I just waited behind one of my cars with a 10/22, using the top of the vehicle for a rest... 6 power Weaver on top...

Shot three that came out of the same hole, during an hour period... the other a couple of days later...

big suckers, so I don't know how old they were....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Seafire
GFB,

I'm based over North of Medford.....so I live in this corner of the state...

We live off of what use to be a 9 hope golf course...I've shot 4 VERY big sage rats so far this year, hanging around the yard, and digging deep and big holes and tunnels...these things are big enough to be the size of tree squirrels...

all 4 where shot after they scampered down a hole, on a creek bank...I just waited behind one of my cars with a 10/22, using the top of the vehicle for a rest... 6 power Weaver on top...

Shot three that came out of the same hole, during an hour period... the other a couple of days later...

big suckers, so I don't know how old they were....

You're not far from KFall and the chucks! I haven't found many chucks yet and the sheep herders were in my chuck spot today I went to a new spot and the sagerats were out! Not a ton but consistent shooting for a couple of hours. The problem was the grass is getting tall. Some spots you could only see their heads peeking out. Sorry no pics, grass is too tall to walk through without snake boots. And it's a pretty snakey area.

Last edited by GoForBroke; 04/24/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trying to plan a trip for next week to get down to find some rats and hopefully a few chucks along the way. Were you in the prairie grass or bordering the alfalfa?

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I shoot out in public grounds so it the prairie grass. If you can get on private grounds you'll be set. I haven't asked to get on private grounds.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heading down tomorrow for a couple days of shooting if we can find any rats. Heading through Lapine to Klamath Lake or thereabouts hoping to find some non-wary squirrels and their families. If anyone has any hints or directions in that region they would be willing to share, let me know- might save me some miles on the truck.... wink

Thanks,
Bob

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Go easst on 140 to Dairy and then RT 70 into Bonanza... a lot of opportunity in that area...

south of K Falls on 39, Maulin area there is a lot of opportunity there also...

as soon as I relocate some phone numbers I have of available places, I;ll send you a PM...

since moving I am having trouble finding anything ...

i do have spots in Maulin, Bonanza and out in Lakeview... plenty of squirrels and they don't really charge to shoot either...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for your PM. We spent a couple days running around from Lapine to Paisley and up around Paulina and Post and all points in between. The weather was clear but cold and breezy and as usual with the old brisk wind the rats stayed down for the most part. Also, lots and lots of No Trespassing/No Hunting signs everywhere we went. So between signs and lack of squirrels we didn't get much opportunity. We did finally find one field yesterday behind a ridge off the highway that held a few squirrels once the wind died down. We probably shot about 30-40 off this field in a couple hours .

Thanks for the help. Put a lot of miles on the truck for very little result but we did find some really nice places that may be really good in a couple weeks once the pups are up... if we can just figure out how to get permission to hunt....

Do you guys run into this? Find a great area but it is so big and the farmhouses are so spread out it is difficult to figure out who to even ask for permission to hunt? Seems like we run into this all the time....

Bob

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,695
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.