Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think the length of the barrels should complement how you move the gun and shoot. I have a friend of considerable size who shoots longer barrels better, they seem to smooth him out. He jerks around more with shorter shotguns. I see smaller stature people who can't seem to get the longer barrels moving as easily. A young woman at the gun range I shoot at comes to mind. Her husband set her up with an auto and 30" barrels and she can't seem to get it going. Gets to be a lot of gun out there to get moving and keep moving. Some cases that helps. others it hurts. YMMV.

Last edited by BKinSD; 04/17/19.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Longer barrels closer sight picture. Length doesn't smooth your swing, weight does. Of course longer barrels tend to weight more apples to apples. Longer barrels doesn't hurt any with up close presentations. 32" barrels are a good place to be in SC, I personally love 34" barrels.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Picked up the new one today, very nice.

I went with the 32 inch, All I do know is my 24 inch Benelli was usually my worst average,

I believe the short light barrel was too fast,

Or,

I just suck.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The barrel length is determined to a great extent by the barrel weight. Not all barrels weigh the same so one could easily end up with 30" barrels in one gun weighing as much or more than a set of 34" barrels in a different brand or line.

I made my first run through the ranks of sporting clays with a 30" Browning Citori 3.5" chamber Hunter model with Invector+ chokes. After adding a mercury recoil reducer and a thick Kick-Eez recoil pad, the gun was pretty lively, even though it weighed 10+ pounds. I stepped out of competition for a bit but when I returned I tried out a 34" B. Rizzini that I loved. I was offered any gun by Browning so started shooting a 32" Browning 525 Sporting model. That was a mistake as the gun was very muzzle heavy, even with the recoil reducer, as much lead shot as would fit in the remainder of the stock bolt hole, titanium choke tubes and a Kick-Eez pad was added. The weight was an ounce or two shy of my old gun but the weight was just too far forward. The longer Browning barrels were too heavy to easily counter balance to my liking and probably would still have still been so with the heavier receiver of my old gun.

The significant difference was the Rizzini barrel were of standard 12 ga inside diameter and had thinner barrel walls than the Browning making the Rizzini's lighter. No added weight was needed to balance out the gun which made the works very responsive. The Browning is over bored and uses rather thick walls so they are pretty heavy. When the Invector+ barrels came out! many opted for the older Invector or fixed choke guns as the barrels were lighter due to being of standard internal diameter. I shoot the gun well but I have to put a bit more effort and concentration into it ad it is not as effortless as my old gun or that Rizzini so it would behoove a person to handle, if not try, a gun before buying.

I hear the 725 seems to have lighter barrels but have not shot one to know for sure. My 525 felt pretty good in the showroom but not so much after a bit of use. As the OP has already bought his gun my experiences won't help him but it is something to consider for others.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
The barrel length is determined to a great extent by the barrel weight. Not all barrels weigh the same so one could easily end up with 30" barrels in one gun weighing as much or more than a set of 34" barrels in a different brand or line.

I made my first run through the ranks of sporting clays with a 30" Browning Citori 3.5" chamber Hunter model with Invector+ chokes. After adding a mercury recoil reducer and a thick Kick-Eez recoil pad, the gun was pretty lively, even though it weighed 10+ pounds. I stepped out of competition for a bit but when I returned I tried out a 34" B. Rizzini that I loved. I was offered any gun by Browning so started shooting a 32" Browning 525 Sporting model. That was a mistake as the gun was very muzzle heavy, even with the recoil reducer, as much lead shot as would fit in the remainder of the stock bolt hole, titanium choke tubes and a Kick-Eez pad was added. The weight was an ounce or two shy of my old gun but the weight was just too far forward. The longer Browning barrels were too heavy to easily counter balance to my liking and probably would still have still been so with the heavier receiver of my old gun.

The significant difference was the Rizzini barrel were of standard 12 ga inside diameter and had thinner barrel walls than the Browning making the Rizzini's lighter. No added weight was needed to balance out the gun which made the works very responsive. The Browning is over bored and uses rather thick walls so they are pretty heavy. When the Invector+ barrels came out! many opted for the older Invector or fixed choke guns as the barrels were lighter due to being of standard internal diameter. I shoot the gun well but I have to put a bit more effort and concentration into it ad it is not as effortless as my old gun or that Rizzini so it would behoove a person to handle, if not try, a gun before buying.

I hear the 725 seems to have lighter barrels but have not shot one to know for sure. My 525 felt pretty good in the showroom but not so much after a bit of use. As the OP has already bought his gun my experiences won't help him but it is something to consider for others.

Correct I should have explained it and not just said comparing apples to apples. I like the the weight between my hands for the most part.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by woodmaster81

Correct I should have explained it and not just said comparing apples to apples. I like the the weight between my hands for the most part.

I find the Browning 735 barrels a slimmer profile and importantly lighter than previous Browning *25 series guns.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Picked up the new one today, very nice.

I went with the 32 inch, All I do know is my 24 inch Benelli was usually my worst average,

I believe the short light barrel was too fast,

Or,

I just suck.

Well, far as I'm concerned 24" barrels suck and 21" sucks even worse. They swing to fast. Had a 21" M870 Special Field 20 ga shot in front of everything. Then I picked a super clean 12 ga. Montefeltro Benelli with a 24" barrel. Couldn't get it to slow down either after 4 flats+ on low gun skeet ,I was still only shooting 85-90% with it. Stopped in at the gunshop after skeet one day and they had the first M1 Super 90 in the state with wood stocks. The one with the 26" barrel just felt perfect and I traded on the spot, that was 25 years ago it still fits perfect for me. In 91 I won the state class "B" SC event at Willow Ck SC west of Pierre, SD with a 28" barreled Red Label with the side ribs removed, there was a lot of guys there with lots nicer guns than I had. But gun fit and your ability to shoot it all ways trumps a more expensive gun every time. Was I to buy a newer O/U today I'd look no farther that a Browning CXS, unported with the 3" chambers and that wide rib for no other reason than it fits and comes up right every time I shoulder one. best of luck with your new gun. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got out finally last night for 100 rounds, Gun was un-fired by me up to that point,

Broke the first 5 straight and closed with a 20, really happy with that to be honest,

shot another round of trap and hit just slightly less,

then over to sporting clays on a course I never shot before,

26 of 50. I was happy with that......

Like this Gun a lot.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Got out finally last night for 100 rounds, Gun was un-fired by me up to that point,

Broke the first 5 straight and closed with a 20, really happy with that to be honest,

shot another round of trap and hit just slightly less,

then over to sporting clays on a course I never shot before,

26 of 50. I was happy with that......

Like this Gun a lot.

You were shooting your new Browning 725 I assume?

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
yes sir.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 7 invisible), 1,575 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,563
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.