Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ethnic foods cooked by a ethnic that knows how to cook it. I was enjoying a black olive, and thought about a meatloaf an Italian woman made.

What do you think?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I had some Indian food once cooked by call center Indians.

It was horrific.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Same here,JC
I was in London once with Mrs Rong and we decided to have (try) Indian food,,,ended up in the hospital.
That was almost 30 yrs ago and haven't had it since.
I can eat almost anything,but it's a no-go on Indian

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The problem with ethnic is - who determines what is "good"? I am very critical of some mexican food because I grew up with it. But when eating other ethnic foods all I know is that one restaurant's food tastes better than the other, what ever the cuisine. As far as food making me sick that could potentially occur at any restaurant at any time and may not be related to the actual cuisine but sanitary conditions or tainted ingredients beyond control of said business (such as recent problems with romaine lettuce).

As an example, I really like the Kung pao chicken at a local Chinese chain, but not so much at our favorite family owned Chinese restaurant which makes other entrees much better.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kind of opposite in an odd way as we had an old Mexican guy open here that really took pride in that his food was fabulous but the locals just didn't cotton to all the traditional spices. After a couple of years making dishes that were very bland he packed up and left.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You Iowans sure do talk folksy.

Funny how certain words give you instant images in your mind.

How many thought about peach pie, chicken n' dumplings, skillet fried walleye or brisket when reading the word ethnic.

Truth is I really enjoy all the ethnic food pics and recipe many of our pigment challenged members post.

Like that awesome bean casserole thing Jim posts about that I still haven't tried.

Or that skillet puffy pancake looking thing sse posted about.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll eat about anything Richard.

In fact, Deb & I go "out of our way" to experience regional cuisine, when ever, & where ever we travel !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Gave in to a friend about 10 years ago who wanted to try an Ethiopian restaurant. No desire to ever eat that stuff again.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Can't think of one style or ethnic origin of food I don't like.

Maybe old style English meals. They're bland as fugg.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I'm pretty much OK with most things. Exceptions would be the consumption of anything that no one in anything resembling a sane state of mind would introduce into his mouth/digestive system. This includes, but is not limited to things that would either 1) gag a maggot or 2) burn the heat shield off of an Apollo capsule.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have ranted about this before.
Authentic Mexican. WTF.

Tex-Mex is authentic to
Northern Mexico and the S.W. US.

I love the stuff. It's one thing I miss about long haul trucking.

All the places here are Snooty Authentic.

Not a dam bottle of Cumin in their kitchen

Some of it ain't bad.
But it's not what I want.
If I won the lottery, I would be in New Mexico eating Huveos Rancheros
by the weekend.

PS. At least I can get good puddin meat and panhaas. And maple syrup.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I have ranted about this before.
Authentic Mexican. WTF.

Tex-Mex is authentic to
Northern Mexico and the S.W. US.

I agree for the most part. But as you go west from TX the food does change some what with more Sonoran and Baja influence. The food in Northern NM can be a bit different also. I particularly like the Adobada.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hands down best ethnic food I've tasted is Persian food made by people who emigrated from Iran. If I'm in a city where they have good Persian (NYC, LA/Orange Co), I'm finding it.

Murphy was a grunt.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I want to try Turkish Pizza.

Loc ma june....er something like that.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fremont
Hands down best ethnic food I've tasted is Persian food made by people who emigrated from Iran. If I'm in a city where they have good Persian (NYC, LA/Orange Co), I'm finding it.

Used to work for a Persian fella. He’d take us out to a Persian restaurant in Atlanta on occasion. He’d babble something in Farsi to the owner, we’d get set up at a private table, and they’d just start bringing dishes out.

Could of been a stewed camel for all I know, but it was damn good.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fremont

Friend took us to a Persian restaurant in LA, it was outstanding.

To the OP, in general I like exotic foods and trying something different so yes I like ethnic foods. I haven't turned down marine mammals when given the opportunity. I've had raw muktuk, didn't mind the taste but man is it chewy! When I tried sea lion I went back for seconds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best ethnic food I remember is pork ribs, sauerkraut and polenta. Not that soupy stuff Italians make, but nice and firm that slices and holds it's shape. Like Gramma used to make. Was always amazing to watch the little baba just whip the bejeezus out of a pot of the stuff and plop it on a plate exactly when it's firming up.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The best fried chicken I have ever had was prepared by my grandmothers health aid years ago. She also made collard greens and other ethnic treats that were delicious. Her husband “Chocolate “ claimed his fried chicken was better but we never sampled any.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Ethnic foods cooked by a ethnic that knows how to cook it. I was enjoying a black olive, and thought about a meatloaf an Italian woman made.

What do you think?

Sounds condescending and racist. 😜

Sam......

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Speaking of ethnic foods, there's going to be quite the mix at my house tonight for Passover. The standard gefilte fish with horseradish, chicken feet soup with gizzards and matzo balls and kishke (chopped up guts in a gut casing, essentially) will be on the table, but now that I'm the chef I decided to have a twist on the traditional brisket. I made a kosher for passover dry rub last night and right now the brisket is in the smoker. It's either going to be a spectacular failure or a welcome change from the typical.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
827 members (10gaugemag, 12308300, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 85 invisible), 3,248 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,195
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.