Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you're interested in a rifle for Cape Buffalo, and not an "all around' African caliber, I'd move up to a 416 or 458. A 375 will kill a Buffalo, for sure, but they can be VERY tenacious of life. I'd rather hunt Elephant (brain shot) with a 375 than Cape Buffalo. I've been to Africa 16 times, so I'm not a newbie when it comes to Buff hunting.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
If you HAVE to have a magnum, one of these:

https://www.mauser.com/en/m98/m98-magnum.html

Though I'd prefer the standard in 9.3.

Have you PRICED one of those? They cost the same as the trip.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Hahahahaha...was just thinking the same thing

Last edited by Quak; 02/18/19.

GOD Bless America
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm a huge fan of the Kimber Caprivi. I took one to Zimbabwe in 2012 for Buffalo along with a Krieghoff in .500NE. I wanted to take my buff badly with the .500NE. But as luck would have it we encountered a big herd and I needed the scoped Kimber over the Double. I was using the .300 gr Barnes TSX. First shot was perfect and when the herd exploded and dust was everywhere. He was standing only about 100 yards away. I followed him up with the .500NE, but he was done. It was really more to warm the barrels up on it. They handle a bit quicker then Winchesters and I feel overall a very nice gun for the money. I currently have two of them. Both are very accurate and I wouldn't hesitate to take it again for Buff.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hatari
Welcome!

Great post. Share more!

[quote=Matetsi]Hi guys, first day on the forum, and I’m not usually given to making profound statements nor observations, however I see there is a lot of comment about what gun to shoot a Buffalo with..........well after being a full licensed full time Professional Hunter in Africa for 29 years. I am licensed in Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Mozambique, South Africa(only Limpopo and Mpumalanga) and recently adding Cameroon to my portfolio, I have hunted numerous elephant in Botswana too.
I can honestly tell you it has more to do with which gun do you like to shoot? .375HH is the accepted legal minimum in most countries and it is a jolly fine caliber, hence the reason it’s been around so damned long. Now you have the minimum caliber, you have to ask yourself what style of rifle do you enjoy shooting.
Believe me, contrary to all the charging buffalo footage you may have watched on the outdoor channel, or read in the latest experts article on hunting Africa’s Dangerous Game, it happens quite infrequently.
It’s also unlikely you will need to do any barrel rolls or load your gun upside down, nor shoot from the hip falling backwards(watch out for your PH please!)
Most off the shelf factory rifles, if you keep them clean, will not let you down. Bear in mind that most of our game you’ll be shooting at 100 meters or less. No need for fancy barrels with unreal grouping.
Most hunter arriving in camp can’t manage the much acclaimed 1”group. Most PH’s just want to see you can get it in a group to start with, and take it from there. If your first bullet is in the bull, that’s it, let’s go hunting. We really don’t want to mess with team confidence and take a second shot!
In all those years of guiding hunters on over 200 buffalo, and around 100 elephant maybe more, my worst rifle and ammunition issues on safari came from reloads and rebuilds, where someone with the tools thought they new more than the manufacturer. Please excuse me if you fall into that category, but it’s the truth. People trying to get a little extra bang from a bullet, a little tighter group from a bullet and barrel/action, all the while the buffalo doesn’t know this, nor does he care. One thing is though, if you make him angry you better make sure you shoot straighter the second time. I can’t say how many times I’ve heard how that buffalo just wouldn’t die........shot 6 times and still running.....that’s cause none are seriously fatal vital organ shots. He will probably die, just not now. I’ve seen plenty of well executed shots that drop the buff in his tracks, and it’s not because of the brilliance of the gun but more the nerve of the hunter and his ability to shoot his favorite gun.
Shoot the gun you love to shoot, .375HH and above for your Buffalo, elephant, dikdik, sable, impala, bongo, eland..............everything. You only need one gun.

I’ve carried a .458wm from Winchester’s Super Grade shelf. A model 70 (post’64), no controlled feed, no claw extraction. 2 down and one in the barrel. It was given to me in 1993 by a well known Retired PH and one of the original Safari Outfitters in Zimbabwe. This rifle is an extension of my arm. There is no cherckering left, just a shadow where it used to be, the Blueing is all but gone where it is exposed to the elements and my sweaty hands. The magazine inside front looks a little like the texture of a golf ball, from the rounds in the magazine striking the front with the recoil all these years, I only use monolithic 465gr ammunition.....cause I only shoot your game when we really have to.......close.
So let me conclude with saying, by the Grace of the good Lord, no one has been hurt in anyway on my watch. I have never had a misfire, I have never had a problem loading, unloading, nor any safety issues. SHOOT WHAT YOU KNOW & KNOW WHAT YOU SHOOT.
Love AFRICA, she needs you. Cheers.

Great post Matetsi, welcome to the Fire. We look forward to more posts from you, more details on your long and productive career.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 04/13/19.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mine was a 375HH in a Mark X in a custom stock.

MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've only seen one Cape Buffalo Bull up close ( 75yds as we drove by it) on a big farm south of Joberg. They had some Rhino on the place too, saw them up so close, one of them swiped the front bumper of the Toyota PU ( bakkie) Anyhow, that one bull reminded me of looking at a Limousine Bull at the Houston Livestock show, ha. Big...really big. While I would use a 375 if that was all I could handle, I myself would feel better with a 458 Lott! Or at minimum a 404 Jeffry with 400gr. I don't think I would enjoy shooting a .510 Wells, but I would try it if I had access to one, ha. But I feel the same way about those big humped back bears! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’ve hunted with the 338, 340, and the 375. I’ve used the 416 Rem, and the 458 Lott. I think the 338’s and the 375 are generally pretty close together in effect on game with comparable bullets, so if I were to go to another rifle, I’d forget the so-called “minimum designation” of the 375 as a reason for it and go right to the 416, either Rem or Ruger.

Get one set up now. You have three years to put a thousand rounds through it before you go. By that time it’ll be second nature. A nine-pound +/- rifle with a good pad is not bad.

It’s part of the experience of being a rifle-loony

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
+1

For a designated buffalo rifle, I would go with a 416. I used the 416 Rem two years ago in Zimbabwe and was very impressed. I had a front on shot, and when I come down from the recoil the bull was stumbling backwards. One shot, clean and no drama.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Call me crazy, but when I go I'm taking my 03A3 in 9,3x62! My buddy's dad has a safari in Zim and said if I can shoot well it will work! To quote Constantine, he's from Austria, "Yeah Bob, you shootz gut! 300 gr solid in the brain bucket will get the job done! I'm with shooting something you shoot well better than using something that helps with less than ideal shot and shot placement! No, I've never shot a buff, though it will be soon!

Semper Fi USMC/0331
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I’ve hunted with the 338, 340, and the 375. I’ve used the 416 Rem, and the 458 Lott. I think the 338’s and the 375 are generally pretty close together in effect on game with comparable bullets, so if I were to go to another rifle, I’d forget the so-called “minimum designation” of the 375 as a reason for it and go right to the 416, either Rem or Ruger.
y

I've read that popularity of the .416 Ruger is fading, whereas the .416 Rem is growing.

A good friend and hunting bud is retrofitting a shot out .264 Win PF M-70 to .416 Rem. Going with the .416 Ruger would have probably required less action work, but I recommended the .416 Rem. mostly for the above reason and brass availability..

I would appreciate comments on .416 Ruger vs .416 Rem. The .416 Rigby, due to its larger case, etc. was out of the question for this application.

DF

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
A lot of the popularity of cartridges in Africa has to do with availability vs performance. I asked my outfitter about the 375 Ruger vs the 375 H&H, and his only problem with the Ruger was he could not find ammunition.

I found a client who was going the following year and had them take a box of 416 Rem just to help with the shortage.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"...popularity of the .416 Ruger is fading, whereas the .416 Rem is growing."
Dirt: What fact do you base that statement on?
"I recommended the .416 Rem. mostly for the above reason and brass availability.."
In my experience I have found Hornady 416 Ruger brass very available. 416 Remington brass is made by Norma, Remington, Hornady, Bertram, Quality and Jamison. There are more different head stamped 416 Mag brass but I am unsure as to who manufactures the brass. The one thing I am sure of is that 416 Remington ammunition is more available in Africa then 416 Ruger despite what the Hornady marketing department claims.
The water case capacity of the 416 Ruger is 75.8 grains and the 416 Remington 80.0 grains. The Ruger fits into a long action at 3.34" OAL but the Remington needs a magnum length action at 3.6" OAL
The 400 grain bullet maximum velocity using Nosler loading data is 2424 fps for the Ruger and 2503 fps for the Remington.

Last edited by bobmn; 04/18/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, my impression has been that the big Rugers have caught on more in AK than about any other place but don’t know if that is fact. They are certainly good cartridges. The Rigby needs a big platform so not generally as easy to do.

I like Rem’s 416. With Barnes 300 and 350-gr triple shocks flying plenty flat, it is not just a short-range affair either if one can shoot it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bobmn
"...popularity of the .416 Ruger is fading, whereas the .416 Rem is growing."
Dirt: What fact do you base that statement on?

Articles by Craig Boddington. Otherwise, I have no way of knowing.

That was his opinion and why I prefaced my remark with "I've read"....

The .416 Ruger would for sure have been an easier retrofit to the std 3.4" .264 mag action. With the 3.6" .416 Rem round, the smith will mill the rear action bridge to open the action port, redrill for the magnum rear base. I suggested he replace 6x48 screws with 8x40.

.416 Rem seemed the way to go. After all, like Liberal politicians, I am spending someone else's money... grin

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I like Rem’s 416. With Barnes 300 and 350-gr triple shocks flying plenty flat, it is not just a short-range affair either if one can shoot it.

Phil Shoemaker (458Win) says his daughter uses her .416 Rem to shoot sheep and about everything else.

And, being his daughter, don't ya know she can shoot a big gun very well...

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 04/18/19.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
This one looks a lot like mine, except for the custom work. It has always been a good shooter for me. I had a Whitworth in the 80's, but I had feeding problems I couldn't resolve. I replaced the Whitworth with a pre 64 with 25 inch barrel, which was my favorite. The pre 64 went down the road when I got married, then I later got the stainless classic in the 90's. All of the .375's were accurate with a variety of loads, and all of them put a variety of (full power) loads reasonably close to the same point of aim.

If I had a lot of money and was looking for another, I would look for another 25" pre 64, hands down. It was the best shooter, with the smoothest most reliable feed, of those three.

In my opinion, I always found the .375 more comfortable to shoot than a .300 magnum, either Winchester or Weatherby. The .300 seemed to have a vicious, tooth rattling jab, while the .375 just had a big smooth push. Maybe it's because the .375s all had a more reasonable weight, and they seem to build .300s light.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

For years I loaded for, shot, and hunted the 300, and 338 magnums. I went through that phase of climbing the ladder of and bigger and bigger cases because I was curious; the then non-existent internet, personal two-way exchange was a one-way dispensing of info and hype in the hard copy magazines which trumpeted this magnum or that one. Or reviewed an old one.

By the time I got to the 375 after maybe two decades of the fast-punching 300’s and a long time with the 340, the 375 was like a heavyweight fighter on a muscle relaxant and a sedative — a kind of a rolling punch instead of the quick jab of the faster magnums that would leave an apple-sized bruise after an afternoon of shooting. Very nice; almost soothing.

Yeah, will always like the H&H. The laws of physics coming together with a fine compromise of case size, bullet mass, velocity, and power all within the capabilities of a hunter and shooter to master.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Yeah, my impression has been that the big Rugers have caught on more in AK than about any other place but don’t know if that is fact. They are certainly good cartridges. The Rigby needs a big platform so not generally as easy to do.

I took my 416 Rem M70 to Zim a few years ago and used it on a number of animals from serval to buffalo out to 250 yards without issue. My handloads using the 350 gr TSX.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.