V
Tight chambers

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a T1x. Very, very accurate and smooth. I'm very happy with it.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
CZ m457...

K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I’m not opposed to semis but don’t have gophers, prairie dogs, or any varmints in great number hear in east TN. So bolt truly works well.

Switching the gun over to 17 from 22 is really pretty quick, just kinda prefer a dedicated gun. Will keep the 17hmr barrel I have which is a 18” threaded sporter and possibly put it on a cz scout for one of my 3 kids.

I don’t baby doll guns, so cooper is out( I would wreck it and they ain’t cheap)

The 77, cz 457, and tikka would need a chop and thread to a more loving length. 18” I like in 17hmr. So that’s really a wash

I thought 457 was nitride finish? So stainless really a improvement?

Local shop has a ruger American predator they would take 270$ for. Just not sure the quality and accuracy? Plus they feel cheap to me.

Browning T-bolt? Any love

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by kevinJ

Browning T-bolt?

WMR, not HMR. Newer one, not the older version.

I like this one, like the mags. Spare fits in the rifle butt.. With one in the gun, 20 rounds ready to go.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
DF, It's obvious you've been reading Rantings work. he always says the 22mg.(whatever the fugg the mg. is...) is superior to the .177 hmr. The only thing the .177hmr is good for(according to Ranting) is popping paper and shooting fruits.... It is VERY <<intro>>!

***<<<ENJOY>>>***!!!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by huntsman22
DF, It's obvious you've been reading Rantings work. he always says the 22mg.(whatever the fugg the mg. is...) is superior to the .177 hmr. The only thing the .177hmr is good for(according to Ranting) is popping paper and shooting fruits.... It is VERY <<intro>>!

***<<<ENJOY>>>***!!!

Not a Ranting fan... wink

Those rounds each have their attributes. The WMR hits harder with more bullet.

The HMR is generally more accurate and stretches the range a bit. A FMJ .17 bullet will kill a hog, BTDT. Ranting can add hogs to his "paper and fruit list".

.22 Mag probably a better hog round, I still use FMJ bullets.

Of course, I'm comparing my WMR T-Bolt with my HMR Annie. Probably not a fair side by side for accuracy. T-Bolt is a very handy and light packing around rifle, Annie for more deliberate, precise shooting.

IMO.

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
...Browning T-bolt? Any love

I have the LH versions of the 3 rimfire calibers of T-bolts. Nice, light and point well. As Dirtfarmer says, not as accurate as an Anschutz but not the same cost either. I've used my 17 HMR on a prairie dog town with great success out to 230 yards.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
All good choices. Probably couldn’t go wrong with either. Not into the looks of the Ruger precision personally so I would go CZ or tikka I think. Ruger has the best magazine hands down and that laminate American is short stubby and threaded.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

I have the LH versions of the 3 rimfire calibers of T-bolts. Nice, light and point well. As Dirtfarmer says, not as accurate as an Anschutz but not the same cost either. I've used my 17 HMR on a prairie dog town with great success out to 230 yards.

You have the newer or older versions?

DF

IC B3

K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
They do make the American laminate target in stainless also which looks nice. Do any of you own or shoot the American in 17hmr?

I have only handled a ranch 300 blk and never even considered the rugers much. I used to want a 223 but the mag length issue changed my mind. Haven’t found anyone selling mods for mags so gonna pass that opportunity unless I do

Back to rimfires, I was excited when I saw Norma had 17 hmr ammo, till I found out it is most likely just relabeled cci and probably not any better than what’s currently available. Oh well

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They do make the American laminate target in stainless also which looks nice. Do any of you own or shoot the American in 17hmr?

I have only handled a ranch 300 blk and never even considered the rugers much. I used to want a 223 but the mag length issue changed my mind. Haven’t found anyone selling mods for mags so gonna pass that opportunity unless I do

Back to rimfires, I was excited when I saw Norma had 17 hmr ammo, till I found out it is most likely just relabeled cci and probably not any better than what’s currently available. Oh well

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

My 22LR is the Belgian made. The 17 HMR and 22 Mag are new versions. I also took my 22LR new version and rebarreled it to 17 Mach II.
the 17 HMR is the target model, the others are the shorter models, all walnut stocked.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 04/18/19.

K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
So stick with CZ I guess. Not many people chiming in for the tikka or ruger American

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
If I were going to buy a new 17 HMR today, I would buy the Tikka.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Savage.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

My 22LR is the Belgian made. The 17 HMR and 22 Mag are new versions. I also took my 22LR new version and rebarreled it to 17 Mach II.
the 17 HMR is the target model, the others are the shorter models, all walnut stocked.

What's your impression, new version vs. the old, Belgium one?

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
The new model is a bit trimmer and the helix magazine is a real plus. Shooting either one well is easy. The new model has an adjustable trigger although I've not attempted to mess with it. I also like the scope mounting possibilities on the new model. I'm using Warne 2 piece bases and have had no issues. The old model has a lot of romance associated with it, being made in Belgium but I can't say it shoots any better than the new models.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My own choice, not particularly precision oriented, is the Steyr labeled - Action: Straight-Pull, Olympic Style (Made by ISSC) - Cub Scout, currently available from CDNN in .22 rimfire, 22 mag and 17 HMR.

A straight pull toggle bolt like the Browning T Bolt or one of the Russian biathlon rifles. 20 inch threaded barrel and 10 shot magazine. Extra magazines at about $20.

Not yet fired and I have no idea about handling beyond knowing that it is light and handy and no idea at all about accuracy. Rail for a forward mount scope and Weaver style bases for a receiver mount scope. First time to the range I plan to use a lever type quick detachable Leupold forward mount scope off my Steyr Scout in .308.

Mostly because at CDNN it's half the price of a heavier wood stocked bolt action and because I do have a Steyr Scout and Dragoon and like those very much so an understudy is welcome.

If somebody else were paying then sure Anschutz or Cooper or another fine rifle would be nicer and much appreciated as a gift.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Kevinj: I own both models of heavy barrel Rugers Rifles in 17 HMR.
I absolutely LOVE them both!
Like Seafire, I bought the first 17 HMR Rifle I saw in Montana - it is the stainless finish (not matte gray!) heavy barrel Ruger 77/17 V/T.
It has shot wonderfully well from day one (back in early 2,003!).
The other Ruger heavy barrel model I have and love is the Ruger American Varmint (in 17 HMR).
I have had this Rifle for over 2 seasons now and it is a handy, accurate and very reliable small game and Varmint Rifle.
I won't venture a guess as to which of these is the most accurate as I seldom shoot them at the range - once sighted in and trajectories verified, they have been dedicated as Varmint and small game guns.
The Ruger 77/17 V/T with Weaver V-16 (4 to 16 power variable) shot a 5 shot group at 100 yards measuring .502" back in May of 2,003!
That IS outstanding accuracy (Remington ammo).
My Ruger American Varmint in 17 HMR also has a Weaver V-16 on it and it is a pleasure to shoot in every respect.
The shorter heavy barrel (18") and the significant savings over a Ruger 77/17 V/T is the ONLY reason I would recommend the Ruger American Varmint over the Ruger 77/17 VT.
I have other guns in 17 HMR but the Ruger rotary, flush fitting magazine and correct American style safeties (as opposed the the bassackwards CZ's) are the main reasons I won't critique any of them for you.
Go with the Ruger American Varmint or the Ruger 77/17 V/T.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

705 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.