Print Thread
Hop To
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I carry a Glock 26 every day and recently started carrying Ruger LCP as well.
O course went to find out about a good load for the 380 and started looking at ammo test on youtube.
I looked at a lot of these test and Came upon ShootingTheBull410 ammo test of a lot of different 380 ammo
Also found the Lucky Gunner ammo test.
Big difference in penetration from these two.
Just looking at one Load ,the Federal Hydroshok for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6he3eF4tTMc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7uG-13LjsQ&t=303s

Then found this
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#380ACP

Now I realize there was a difference in Barrel Length
And would expect some variances in data but hell this is totally different results.

Thoughts on the differences in these two test?
Which one to believe?

Last edited by bcraig; 04/18/19.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like the Buffalo Boar hardcast load in my LCP 380

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/18/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Which to believe? Well, I don't think either test was meant to be deceptive. Just shows there are a lot of variables that affect results.

If I was carrying a 380, I'd look real hard at the Lehigh or Underwood Xtreme Defender/Penetrator loads.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One test was bare gelatin and the other was through 4 layers of denim.

Not the same test at all...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I just added the link to the denim test from ShootingTheBull410
Still Dramatic difference

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
as long as it sells guns and ammunition there will be tests and more tests. The one that made me think more about it was the one where I think about 250 shootings and found that there was not a significant difference in any handgun bullet diameter as long as it penetrated deep enough. In a 380 once must give serious thought to FMJ or those Lehigh bullets. Past putting a hole in something clean thru both sides, a .38 inch diameter hole in the same place as a .45 inch diameter hole will do the same thing, unless the .45 inch diameter hole is made by something going 2500FPS. As FormD said and the federal people said, there is not much difference in handgun calibers.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Which to believe? Well, I don't think either test was meant to be deceptive. Just shows there are a lot of variables that affect results.

If I was carrying a 380, I'd look real hard at the Lehigh or Underwood Xtreme Defender/Penetrator loads.

Have never tried any. Will it feed reliably in my Ruger LCP ?

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Underestimate the person who wants to fight with a .380 at your own peril. Gun forum types tend to focus on what’s best, not what works. The only person of whom I am aware who shrugged off a .380 round did so because it did not penetrate the steel trauma plate (rated for more than a .380) in front of his heart. Even a lowly Lorcin or Davis .380 with Walmart ball ammo can wreak a lot of havoc when wielded by the person who is not aware or could not care less that is it low-quality low-powered junk despised by the gun forum people. It certainly racked up an impressive body count in my city of origin, in neighborhoods where gun forum people speak of entering only with their “big city high capacity” gun and multiple reloads.

Like I posted a few weeks ago, would Hugh Glass have been better off with a Glock 42 loaded with Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators or Buffalo Bore hard cast? I submit that the answer is a resounding “Yes.”

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

It feeds in my Glock 42. They sell bullets for about 60 cents a piece, which is cheaper than a buck fifty for loaded rounds.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Interesting comments but still does not answer the question of how the same loads are showing such different results.

IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

It feeds in my Glock 42. They sell bullets for about 60 cents a piece, which is cheaper than a buck fifty for loaded rounds.

Using that round in a Kahr P380 and runs perfectly...also using them in .38 Super, 9mm, 10mm and .38 Special...

...I like speed....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bcraig
Interesting comments but still does not answer the question of how the same loads are showing such different results.

Different media, different velocities. First off, there is some info out there indicating that clear ballistic gel and ordnance gel do not yield the same results. The unclothed clear ballistic gel was shot with a Taurus averaging 894 fps. The clothed ordnance gel (IWBA denim) was shot with the Taurus averaging 884. The clothed Lucky Gunner clear ballistic gel, using unspecified heavy clothing, was shot out of a Glock averaging 929 fps (FYI, mine averaged 928 fps with that load). Expansion is a parachute that has a built-in velocity window and is affected by barriers such as clothing and also by the gel media. Different variables, different results.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RJM

Using that round in a Kahr P380 and runs perfectly...also using them in .38 Super, 9mm, 10mm and .38 Special...

...I like speed....

Bob

Bob, have you tried the Defender load rather than the Penetrator? Rather faster even. Going to get one or the other for my LCP.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I like the Buffalo Boar hardcast load in my LCP 380

Same, but in a PPK.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

Different media, different velocities. First off, there is some info out there indicating that clear ballistic gel and ordnance gel do not yield the same results. The unclothed clear ballistic gel was shot with a Taurus averaging 894 fps. The clothed ordnance gel (IWBA denim) was shot with the Taurus averaging 884. The clothed Lucky Gunner clear ballistic gel, using unspecified heavy clothing, was shot out of a Glock averaging 929 fps (FYI, mine averaged 928 fps with that load). Expansion is a parachute that has a built-in velocity window and is affected by barriers such as clothing and also by the gel media. Different variables, different results.

yes I do see the variables of about 30-40 FPS difference between the pistols (well within the variance between 2 identical rounds shot from the same pistol)and can see that there probably a difference between the clear gel and the ordinance gel but the difference between
15 inches of penetration and 25 inches of penetration in clothed gelatin is almost a 70 % difference !
I could understand a small difference but good lord that is amazing !
Almost makes me want to use a FMJ especially one that is spooned to induce tumbling
If I had the health and gel to do it it would be very interesting to do some experiments with taking a file and filing away an angle on the nose (spooning) a FMJ to induce tumbling once it hits the target media.
This might do more damage and decrease any overpenetration and at the same time prevent any clogging of a hollow point .
Sure wish someone in good health with some gel would test this.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 55 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.