Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I live in Southern Missouri

I don't hunt hogs but I have and will continue to shoot hogs on sight

It's ridiculous that during firearms deer season with 400,000 orange clad hunters in the field that it is illegal to shoot a hog.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by oldgunsmith
A couple of years ago, I saw a trap that hanco had made, he was definitely getting results !! So I took his advice and built a corral trap. This photo should explain it all ....

When the deer start dropping fawns, I wire the trigger back and leave the gate where the hogs have to push to get into it. You can't argue with results, and we don't separate any does from fawns this way.

[quote=oldgunsmith]A couple of years ago, I saw a trap that hanco had made, he was definitely getting results !! So I took his advice and built a corral trap. This photo should explain it all ....

Damn!! You caught a bunch. I made it to lease about 3:30. I set 4 round traps and a cage trap. We will see if I catch any.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MOGC

It's ridiculous that during firearms deer season with 400,000 orange clad hunters in the field that it is illegal to shoot a hog.

I don't think that is the case.

Maybe on certain public lands. But not the majority of the state.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is the case on MDC managed land. Also now on most lands managed by the Fed's in Missouri. The Forest Service is a hold out so far but that will change too.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by ldholton
I to shoot everyone I see but do not allow people to constantly hump them because it moves them out and makes them harder to deal with here in Missouri
Humping hogs should be illegal everywhere even Appalachia.

It's not so bad.
Provided you limit yourself to upright hogs.
The ones that walk horizontal are off limits.

Doggie style is fine also.
Just not with dogs.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 04/18/19.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
I wonder what the story is on the isolated counties in Montanna and the UP? Tough winters.
I've been watching the UP temperatures this winter and Ishpeming has been colder than Fairbanks AK most of the winter. I would think the Russian boars that somebody imported into Louisiana a few years ago could make it in a very cold environment if food was available. They will eat just about anything. After all if they really did originate in Russia it's pretty darn cold there. The ones we kill have a very thick mat of hair and they have bred all the visible piney wood rooter and domestic traits out of our hogs. Apparently the Russians take over the breeding when they move in.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by MOGC

I don't think that is the case.

Maybe on certain public lands. But not the majority of the state.

Shooting should not be hunting should be

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Gus
if i wanted to board a delta jet from the ATL and fly to big D, and rent a car, where could i go to hunt pigs to help the landowners without having to pay a fee?

i think such an opportunity is non-existent.

pay to play, or some such.

is there a list of farmers soliciting help?

maybe there should be, or not?

maybe there's a bit of PR, and propaganda involved?

is this really a problem, or a bunch of media hype?

i think the rank & file doest complain too much.

Dumb sob like you is why I don't want anyone near my place

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
There are some things about Missouri's Wildlife Code I do not like (I grew up there, and go back to hunt often). To whit, "Things that are not specifically ALLOWED by the WIldlife Code are prohibited" which is antithetical to freedom and liberty

In other words, if MDC doesn't specifically say you can do it, you can't legally do it. That isn't American, in my book.

This hog situation isn't much different, really. They can't get the job done, and they aren't going to let you get it done, either. Woe be unto you if you do, however.

I grew up in Northern Missouri, and didn't travel to the Ozarks much. The last time I was through there, driving I-44, I did see a sow and her litter just off the highway, about 50 miles east of Springfield. I was coming back from a funeral, and wasn't armed appropriately to shoot them (and wouldn't, off the highway and all that), but if I'd had a good rifle, I could have taken out several, since they were out in the open and quite a distance from any concealment.

Got to disagree. Missouri with their small code book of what you can do compared with the thick bibles of all the things that you can't do in other states.

Not at all the truth. Kentucky (for example) states that unless it's specifically prohibited, it's allowed. That's diametrically opposed to what the MDC Wildlife Code says. Words mean things, and your interpretation is considerably "off" from that.

I have never seen a Wildlife code book as simple as Missouri. Show me.

You just quoted exactly the difference, Missouri says it's prohibited UNLESS they allow it, and Kentucky says it's allowed UNLESS they specifically prohibit it. If you cannot figure out the difference between the two, there's no hope for you.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by Gus
if i wanted to board a delta jet from the ATL and fly to big D, and rent a car, where could i go to hunt pigs to help the landowners without having to pay a fee?

i think such an opportunity is non-existent.

pay to play, or some such.

is there a list of farmers soliciting help?

maybe there should be, or not?

maybe there's a bit of PR, and propaganda involved?

is this really a problem, or a bunch of media hype?

i think the rank & file doest complain too much.

Dumb sob like you is why I don't want anyone near my place

lol. use to really enjoy muzzle loader hunts for hogs on cumberland island nat'l seashore. those park service guys made it clear they didn't want no wildhorses shot either.

they did allow us to carry a high-powered sidearm to add to the ML long-gun, just in case. i allus carried a ruger SRH, and did most of my harvesting with it.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Got 23 this weekend

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A couple of years ago, I saw a trap that hanco had made, he was definitely getting results !! So I took his advice and built a corral trap. This photo should explain it all ....

When the deer start dropping fawns, I wire the trigger back and leave the gate where the hogs have to push to get into it. You can't argue with results, and we don't separate any does from fawns this way.

Man, you are getting right with it, aren't you?

The "russian boars" are not taking over the breeding, but domestic animals will revert back to "type" in relatively few generations, looking just like their wild ancestors. The domestic traits are negatives in a wild environment, and will breed out relatively quickly.

As far as controlling hogs, perhaps we can take a look at how the Euro's do things. Let's begin with agreeing there's a bit of water in the Netherlands where I grew up? Still, hogs are controlled successfully by hunters - they have to because the hunting lease contracts state that the hunter is responsible for the damage done by hogs.

Control (not eradication, but control) is achieved by making a specific hunter or "club" of hunters that leases a tract responsible for any wildlife damage, The hogs are shot from blinds, spotlighted at night, or through substantial drives that funnel the hogs into shooting lanes. Being part of the "drive" is a community thing, and there are many more drivers than hunters. Dogs are basically unheard of, other than in tracking dogs to retrieve "shot sick" animals. Drives typically take place in patterns that have been set for generations and have been proven to move the hogs in a way that puts them in the shooting lanes. The same hunters, or more usually "clubs", lease the same tracts for decades, so hunters have in depth knowledge of the terrain and wildlife. Leases come with pretty strict responsibilities as far as controlling vermin and wildlife damage of all kinds. Typically you'll see between 10 and 15 "guns" on a drive, several dozen drivers, and a few dog men for recovery. Afterwards, everyone goes to the local tavern, where food, drink and song are in abundance and a good time is had by all for the rest of the day.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice summary of local tradition, Dutch. Thanks for sharing.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like the” Good time is had by all part”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah... that's not workable on the millions of acres of rough public ground in the Ozarks.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Hogs thrive in rough areas, they can shoot up a steep incline like they have a rocket in their ass when you start shooting. I don’t know if they can run as fast as a deer, but they can cover a lot of ground quick.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Is there any place where an invasive species, once established, has been eradicated for good?

I'm certainly not in the know regarding feral hogs, but it seems like the best one could hope for is to manage the population.

http://www.themeateater.com/listen/meateater/ep-088-conservation-through-eradication

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Dutch

Man, you are getting right with it, aren't you?

The "russian boars" are not taking over the breeding, but domestic animals will revert back to "type" in relatively few generations, looking just like their wild ancestors. The domestic traits are negatives in a wild environment, and will breed out relatively quickly.

As far as controlling hogs, perhaps we can take a look at how the Euro's do things. Let's begin with agreeing there's a bit of water in the Netherlands where I grew up? Still, hogs are controlled successfully by hunters - they have to because the hunting lease contracts state that the hunter is responsible for the damage done by hogs.

Control (not eradication, but control) is achieved by making a specific hunter or "club" of hunters that leases a tract responsible for any wildlife damage, The hogs are shot from blinds, spotlighted at night, or through substantial drives that funnel the hogs into shooting lanes. Being part of the "drive" is a community thing, and there are many more drivers than hunters. Dogs are basically unheard of, other than in tracking dogs to retrieve "shot sick" animals. Drives typically take place in patterns that have been set for generations and have been proven to move the hogs in a way that puts them in the shooting lanes. The same hunters, or more usually "clubs", lease the same tracts for decades, so hunters have in depth knowledge of the terrain and wildlife. Leases come with pretty strict responsibilities as far as controlling vermin and wildlife damage of all kinds. Typically you'll see between 10 and 15 "guns" on a drive, several dozen drivers, and a few dog men for recovery. Afterwards, everyone goes to the local tavern, where food, drink and song are in abundance and a good time is had by all for the rest of the day.

LMFAO

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I remember listening to a Meateater Podcast where they were interviewing a fella in Texas that traps hogs and sends to a processing plant..... I think he had around 2500 in one of his best seasons. Management needs to be well thought out and studied.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Is there any place where an invasive species, once established, has been eradicated for good?

I'm certainly not in the know regarding feral hogs, but it seems like the best one could hope for is to manage the population.

Well, yeah.

Couple islands in the Aleutians have been rid of rats and foxes. The rare subspecies of geese are doing much better, even re-establishing on places the rats and foxes had totally eliminated them from.

Dusky Canadas?

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 59 invisible), 2,736 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.