Page 2 of 2 1 2
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I have a 7” KKM barrel headed my way for my Glock 40. I plan to try 38-40, 180 gr soft lead cowboy action bullets in that gun. I have a good supply, will see how they shoot. They’re very accurate in my 1910 vintage Win ‘92. Hope the Glock/KKM combo shoots them as well.

DF

See my reply about those in the other thread in the Handguns forum. Soft bullets like that are generally a poor choice in high pressure loads like the 10mm uses.

What if I don't push them to the wall, drop back enough to cycle the action?

DF

Should be OK if you keep pressures low; use the stock spring and load down till it just cycles. Universal might be a good choice there?
I've done plenty of that in the 40, but in the 10mm I rarely load anything but full power, so I'm sorta guessing on powder choice.

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 405wcf
I can't find the link to Bob Baker's comments on this issue, but I have read a number of first hand accounts of Lil'gun causing throat damage when used a high pressures (60K psi+). My interest stems from my use of the 45 Raptor. I like the reported velocities people are achieving with the powder but I am not willing to gamble with a Krieger barrel. Too expensive for me to gamble with!

Having trouble understanding using it for loads in that pressure range. Seems kind of radical. Been using it for hornet loads many years now.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I can't find the link to Bob Baker's comments on this issue, but I have read a number of first hand accounts of Lil'gun causing throat damage when used a high pressures (60K psi+). My interest stems from my use of the 45 Raptor. I like the reported velocities people are achieving with the powder but I am not willing to gamble with a Krieger barrel. Too expensive for me to gamble with!

I use it at about that pressure in the 300 Blk, and so do about a million other people. I've never heard of throat erosion issues in that cartridge. It's not exactly known as a barrel burner, but then neither is most anything else that would use Lil'Gun in a rifle.

What cartridges did you read the first hand accounts about, and were they rifles or revolvers?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by barm
I saw a warning for the use of Lilgun in Freedom Arms revolvers. Apparently, the powder was causing flame cutting. Has anyone had a problem like that come-up? How would it's use in rifles compare? I know it is favorite for the 22 Hornet and 221 Fireball users.

I wouldn't expect that to be relevant to rifles. Flame cutting comes from hot high pressure gas exiting the barrel-cylinder gap. It's essentially 65K PSI flowing into std atmospheric pressure all at once. In a rifle barrel, even with that same initial pressure, the gradient is vastly lower than at a revolver cylinder. By the time the bullet leaves the barrel uncorking what pressure is left, it's under 10K PSI if I remember right. Big difference.

(Best guess, of course.)

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lil Gun's pressure curve is what makes it such a great powder in, as noted here, Hornets and Fireballs. But keep in mind those are pretty much full-house RIFLE pressures, not wheelguns. Maybe a stainless insert that wraps around the upper part of the frame opening? But that gap gets some high-speed gas flow, for sure.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Yondering

I use it at about that pressure in the 300 Blk, and so do about a million other people. I've never heard of throat erosion issues in that cartridge. It's not exactly known as a barrel burner, but then neither is most anything else that would use Lil'Gun in a rifle.

What cartridges did you read the first hand accounts about, and were they rifles or revolvers?

The problems that have been cited have been with 454 Casull and 460 S&W. All in revolvers, both top strap and forcing cone. I know my rifle application is not the same thing. Probably the best idea would be for me to run a Ruger American 450 Bushmaster hot as a test bed.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Heard of a guy shooting a 260 S&W with a two hand hold, let his thumb get a bit too far forward. The plasma gas from the cylinder gap took the tip of his thumb off, clean as a sharp knife.

Not something to play with.

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Here’s the deal. Someone sent in a 454 for warranty work forcing cone erosion, FA repaired and sent it back to owner. If memory serves he sent it back for forcing cone erosion twice more. BOb Baker learned that he was useing Lillgun, so he set up TP round test in a FA 357 magnum and gun gun got so hot that Bob Baker had to use a pencil on the trigger to avoid burns. Bob concluded that Lillgun gun a burn temperature was the problem and no longer warranties forcing cone erosion if Lillgun is used.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have seen erratic results with lilgun in a 221 Fireball rifle. Using a couple tenths below a recommended load I had excellent accuracy with a couple of groups so I loaded a box. Later, shooting rabbits, I had a couple of blown primers. The rest of the brass looked fine. Backed off a couple more tenths and had similar experience. No idea what causes it, but I won't use it in a Fireball again. I may try it in a Hornet since everyone recommends it for that.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Used LilGun in several 22H rifles for about 15 years. It has performed better than any hornet powder, both accuracy and speed. Have used in 221 FB also, with good but not great results, had to back off from max to avoid flat primers.

NRA Patron
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used it in a Ruger 77/44, it flings a 300 grain WFN with some authority.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've noticed in the Hodgdon books that LilGun has sweet spots for various cartridges like the Hornet and .357 mag where it gives great velocity with much lower pressures. Those are the loads I use it for. Other loads, like the .44 mag, not so much, so I stick with H110 and 2400.

H110 gives just slightly better accuracy so far in my Hornet, but not enough better for the 10000 lbs extra pressure, so I'm switching over as my loaded ammo gets used up.

What fresh Hell is this?
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you to everyone who has posted. I bought Lilgun for a 22 Hornet and now I no longer have the rifle. I was trying to figure out what else I could use it in for when I came across the warning from Freedom Arms. I guess I could use it for fertilizer laugh

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Lil gun always gave me the best velocity in 357 mag. I read about the possible issues years ago and have shied away from it a bit. I use more pp300mp lately. PP also works great for fast lighter bullet 300 BO loads. Itll drive 110 vmaxes to 2500 from a 16" ar.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I contacted Hodgdon ~ 15 years ago and said my best velocities with 158 gr hard cast in 357 mag was with LIL'GUN. I asked why they were not publishing such a load? I was told it melted the base of the bullets. I did not seem to have that problem.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,067 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.